[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why doesn't DC/Marvel publish fun anthology stories anymore

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5

File: untitled-1-1345135494.jpg (51KB, 576x400px) Image search: [Google]
untitled-1-1345135494.jpg
51KB, 576x400px
why doesn't DC/Marvel publish fun anthology stories anymore SOLO, Wednesday Comics, Strange Tales, all the Marvel graphic novels, stuff like that
they were so fun
>>
>>89615711
man Solo is awesome, my dad got me the deluxe omnibus thing for my birthday.
>>
>>89615711
I don't know, probably because brand recognition but that could be fun to read
>>
>>89615711
Two words:

Kamandi Challenge
>>
>>89615711
>What is Kamandi Challenge
It's like you're purposely being dumb.
>>
my favorite Green Lantern story is Weirdworld, I love Spider-Man Noir and stuff like that
why can't we just get fun interesting stories with different art styles anymore
it could really help push diversity of creators
like they bs being progressive but a woman will never write Spider-Man, Superman or Batman in this day and age
why not give them fun on shots and grapi novels to help them brak into the mainstream industry
why hasn't Nate Powell able to write a LoSH story or DeForge's Plastic Man or Van Sciver's Spider-Man
>>
>>89615711
It probably doesn't sale well. If it ain't Batman, Star Wars, Events, number 1s, or whatever token indie title. Fucking forget about it.
>>
>>89615993
>no Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Avengers or A-listers
giving obscure titles to these people isn't even really given them an opportunity
I'm buying the fuck out of Kamandi but most people aren't
lik it blows my mind theres only like 2 Wonder Woman elseworlds, one Supergirl, etc

>>89616031
they could take advantage of that but instead just give Soule, Waid and other non controversial and boring writers these books
>>
File: 1412807519983.png (439KB, 491x489px) Image search: [Google]
1412807519983.png
439KB, 491x489px
Plebs don't like anthologies, that is why they've become so rare
Man I will kill for something like Action Comics Weekly once again.
>>
>>89616101
anthologies seem like such a good way to attract plebs
like that Love is Love got mad hype
maybe if Coates, Gay and all those other meme writers got an anthology Wakanda book they could of gotten some practice in the medium so they could adapt to it better
it'd be a great way to get celebrity writers and artists to contribute without long term commitments
>>
Vertigo used to do anthologies like Vertigo quarterly, strange sports tales and weird space stories, until Shelly Bond was fired.
>>
>>89615711
Anthologies sell poorly. They are usually the lowest selling of the entire roster of titles. This has happened time after time, and publishers aren't willing to keep losing money trying it.
>>
maybe DiDio will bring them back as a passion project
it would give more creative freedom to those participating in the DC workshops because just a few pages like that isn't really enough to exhibit someone's genuine style I think
like the Sugar & Spice, Metal Men, etc... one recently was cool or whatver but go publicity like my lcs didn't even order it
>>
Because plebs don't understand them and fans ultimately hate them.

I remember a thread where someone suggested that National Comics should have been a Shonen Jump style magazine, with a 300 hundred page super cheap release twice a month that introduced a bunch of DC characters back into canon without having to have a dedicated monthly to go over a wildly different backstory than people are use to.

People fucking rioted.
>>
That OP made me miss darwyn again
>>
>why doesn't DC/Marvel publish fun anthology stories anymore
Because of you. It's your fault.

You don't buy 2000AD, Dark Horse Presents, Heavy Metal, Island, or any of the other anthology series available right now.

Because those anthologies have low sales, DC and Marvel are reluctant to try putting out anthologies of their own.
>>
File: 3718038-18.jpg (350KB, 843x1280px)
3718038-18.jpg
350KB, 843x1280px
People don't buy them. Marvel had a fun little team-up anthology called A+X where Avengers would team up with X-Men. It was really neat, characters getting together that rarely if ever share a story.

Even with two of their biggest franchises the book barely lasted over a year.
>>
>>89617695
But that sounds amazing.
>>
>>89617827
because I don't like edgy things
I want fun stories full of characters I love in scenarios I wouldn't normally envision them in, doing interesting stories with unique art styles
fuck your furry shit and le edgy so cool in the 80s bs
like Waid's recent Agents of SHIELD had a bunch of cool 1 shot stories
it reminds me of comics before crossovrs

when things were more simplistic, more creative and just genuine
like these people made stories out of love
>>
>>89617777
quads of sad truth
>>
>>89617903
Can you explain to me how all of those comics are edgy?
>>
>>89617896
I basically came down to they would feel to childish buying a big phonebook sized book on cheap paper that they couldn't bag and box, because the end idea is that the ones people liked would get a real TPB release, while the story no one gave a shit about would just be forgotten without having to waste an entire month's release on a single story.

Shonen Jump operates what they keep in the magazine by doing a poll every week where you vote for 5 of the titles; the ones with the most votes stay. The National Comic would have worked like that, too; if the characters were popular enough, they'd get another story in National and after enough votes, they'd either be introduced in the actual monthlies or get their own book if they were popular enough.
>>
>>89617940
Heavy Metal, Island and 2000AD publish a ton of things that wouldn't be considered all-ages or politically correct for middle schoolers in this day and age, don't be dense
I think they're cool and all but that's not what I'm trying to portray in my post
anthologies that could be pushed at Scholastic i, nstead of Champions and Burnside Batgirl. When i was a kid they had Spider-Girl and New Warriors and that was awesome but more books like Solo would be great to get kids interested in comics and reading in general
>>
>>89618033
>I think they're cool and all
But you just said that you don't like them because they're edgy.

Family-friendly or not, since you always find an excuse to avoid buying any of the currently-available anthologies, Marvel and DC always find an excuse to avoid making some of their own.
>>
>>89615711
Because a fringe book get's cancelled at 6 issues
>>
>>89618142
they're cool for the audience they're made for
i don't buy Zenescope but fuck it I support them
but comparing anthologies from these smaller publishers to ones produced a decade ago by the big 2 is unfair. in this day and age smaller artists haev a multitude of arenas for exposure but Marvel/DC doesn't want to take creative risks

>>89618174
because they're not promoted and Kamandi challenge is a prime example
they should have some New Gods or a Jimmy Olsen's Adventures ongoing too but risks are I guess risky right
>>
>>89618235
>but Marvel/DC doesn't want to take creative risks
I'm not disputing this. I'm saying it's your own fault. Why would DC/Marvel want to take a risk if they see you refusing to buy any risk-taking comics?
>>
Who would you like to see on a new volume of SOLO?

Frank Quietly
Chris Burnham
Sam Keith
Tom Scioli
Ed Piskor
JRJR
Fabio Moon
Eric Powell
Michel Fiffe
James Harren
>>
>>89618286
I'm pulling Kamandi, all the Hanna Barba titles, all the YA titles, I used to pull Marvel Adventures. I even get Spider-Gwen even though its complete shit. Marvel
how am I the problem
I just don't want to pay for anthology series from companies that I don't support in general
the only indie series I read is my subscription to COPRA
also fuck Island and those essays from KSD were intolerable
>>
>>89618286
If they wanted to take a risk they could improve the creative lineup on Kamandi Challenge, instead of giving me fucking Philip Tan or Dan Jurgens

That comic is drawn by the DC Clist team and a few big names who are past their prime
>>
>>89618343
What's with this bizarre company loyalty? Marvel and DC certainly aren't loyal to you. Look, even now they're refusing to release general anthology comics like you want.

>I think they're cool and all
>fuck Island
I'm really getting some mixed signals from you.
>>
>>89618343
>I even get Spider-Gwen even though its complete shit
> how am I the problem
>>
>>89618385
I'm invested in the characters and enjoy different interpretations of the characters
I totally support all those smaller comic companies, personally love Fantagraphs, Action Labs and Black Mask
but Island is just shit
I bought like the first four issues and they were over priced and they were just bad I don't see what's so good about them at all and I dig a lot of weird altcomix stuff
fuck that KSD essay so hard though

>>89618422
because without it they would eliminate every alt-Earth that wasn't Ultimate
MC2 was my jam
Exils was my shit
even if its in futility I'm putting up a fight
>>
>>89618440
>even if its in futility I'm putting up a fight
I will never understand this pathetic hostage mentality
>>
>>89618455
money talks?
and at least I can say I tried
>>
>>89618440
>they were over priced
112 pages for 8 dollars.

Meanwhile you're paying 4 dollars for 32 pages of Spider-Gwen.

You have no concept of what a good deal is, another reason why you're the problem.
>>
>>89618496
overpriced because half the stories were a bunch of new age bs not worth reading
I like Graham but Island turned out to be shit
>>
>>89618343
>I just don't want to pay for anthology series from companies that I don't support in general
This is how you're the problem.

>Publisher A puts out an anthology
>you refuse to buy it because you hate Publisher A and only like Publisher B
>you explain on 4chan that you will happily buy an anthology from Publisher B
>Publisher B reads the sales figures for Publisher A
>Publisher B sees that Publisher A's anthology doesn't sell well
>Publisher B decides to not make their own anthology, because it probably won't sell well either
>Publisher B doesn't read your 4chan posts
>Publisher B has no idea that you want to buy an anthology from Publisher B
>you spend all day complaining on 4chan that Publisher B doesn't cater to you
>and when Publisher A does cater to you, you refuse them because they still aren't Publisher B
>cycle repeats
Problem!

The Big Two don't read your 4chan posts. They only read the sales figures. If you want to send them a message then you need to buy some current anthologies.
>>
>>89618669
its a strange argument to me that buying anthologies from fringe companies will influence the companies more than me buying all of their current alternative stoies
>>
>>89618834
Buying an anthology shows them that anthologies sell.
Not buying an anthology shows them that anthologies don't sell.
Buying a non-anthology shows them absolutely nothing about anthologies.

If you want anthologies, buy anthologies. Nothing else will send them that message. Nothing.
>>
>>89618870
Everyone is buying Love is Love
my copy is back ordered on amazon
>>
File: RCO022_1463421075.jpg (3MB, 3900x2998px) Image search: [Google]
RCO022_1463421075.jpg
3MB, 3900x2998px
>>89617777
i cry evrytiem ;_;
>>
>>89618882
If you want ongoing anthologies, then buy ongoing anthologies.

If you just get a one-off then the message is that you're satisfied by the one-off, and you don't want to see a new release every month.
>>
>>89616064
Ok dumb fuck
>What is New Talent Special
>>
>>89615711
>Legends of Tomorrow
>New Talent Special
>Kamandi Challenge
What are these then?
>People citing Elseworlds' and What Ifs'
Do we have different definitions of anthologies or some shit?
>>
>>89618332
Tom Scioli definitely, and Frank Quitely

>>89618355
It's 12 Creative Teams, it's not gonna be all winners but there are clear gems there. I'm personally excited for what Eastman is gonna be. Philip Tan isn't even that bad, with the right colorist he does pretty good

Also
>Sook
>Eaglesham
>José Luis García-López.
>Reis
>D'Anda
>Eastman
>C-List
fuck one of them doesn't even do regular DC Work.
>>
>>89618994
Legends of Tomorrow was awesome but didn't take advantage of synergy whatsoever and used a bunch of old has beens writers
New Talent is great in theory but gets lack of promotion and doesn't allow them to write a full story, most of the artists teamed up with them are shit tier too
Kamdandi Challengesj ust re-uses the old guard and not even interesting people in the industry
DeForge, Barry, Van Sciver, Ware, Beaton, Stokoe, Sciolio, Powelll, Darcy or dozens of other talented indie artists who would love to write a mainstream story or two
>>
File: Constantine.jpg (178KB, 630x955px) Image search: [Google]
Constantine.jpg
178KB, 630x955px
>>89618355
Tan isn't bad at all.
>>
>>89619047
Do all those creators even have any desire to do mainstream work, or are you projecting your own desires onto them?

I think DeForge is content to stick to his own comics and contributing to Island.
>>
>>89619047
>Old Guard
>King
>Orlando
>Bennett
>Williams
It's a fucking Jack Kirbu Tribute Anthology, why would they be pushing indie-talent? I mean sure some of these could work, Scioli's even already doing Superpowers form them. Powell definitely could. But Van Sciver? I don't think you mean Ethan Van Sciver so I'm guessing you mean this guy http://noahvansciver.tumblr.com/, then there's Beaton, I guess from Hark a Vagrant? Do you really see her on a Kamandi Book?

Even so
>who would love to write a mainstream story or two
Are you sure that's just not you projecting?
>>
>>89619076
they totally do and its a shame when Coates, Roxanne Gay and a bunch of people who have no real interest in these characters get to write them
they all wan the chance to make their Superman or Batman or Spider-Man or LoSH or whatever comic inspired them as kids but theres this weird like hate of the indie scene just like how Pope had his Kamandi pitch rejected a decade ago
I would money on every single altcomix person having pitched things to the big 2 unsuccessfully including the prestigious such as Ware, Gould, and others in the actual art
besides Crumb of course
>>
>>89619114
So you can't actually base it on anything, it's just a gut feeling that you have? Lame.
>>
>>89619047
>Wanting Fantagraphics-Level Creators on a Big Two Book
Why? I mean I like Crumb and all but there's no way I want him to go over and write something for the Big Two, there's just so much difference in how a book is made from how much creative freedom they'll allow someone to what their limitations are.
>>
>>89619104
just in theory these are the artists they should be pushing and besides Yang, Percy, Coates and Tomaki or whatevr her name is, is the same old peole
King was a Clairmont assistant
Orlando has been in the industry for a decade
Bennet is friends wish every SJW in the world
>>
>>89619143
And now the politics start to come out...
>>
>>89619152
I'm super supportive of diversity i just want real diversity
Is Hooky the only Spider-Man story written by a girl
why can't Superman or Batman be
or a gay person and no one make a big deal of
or get nonhouse artists and just be creative
make comics interesting again
>>
>>89619143
>Working in Big Two Comics gets you into Big Two Comics
Wow anon you're a genius. It's not like DC is not taking in New Talent, there's the Writer and Artists Workshops too, Marvel has Cebulski going on cons and taking in portfolios.

>>89619165
I can't understand what you're saying here. At first it seems you're complaining about how not many queers and women are writing for A-List Characters, and then you're complaining how there's a lack of non-house style artists?

>>89619114
Pope got rejected because the last time they let someone mess with Kamandi they got Earth's End. And because it's fucking Kamandi.
>>
>>89619165
>make comics interesting again
Comics are already interesting.

You just made the mistake of locking yourself into only buying from X and refusing to buy anything from Y, so your perception of comics has become twisted and warped by your sour grapes (assuming that whatever you don't read must be edgy trash) and your battered spouse syndrome (buying what you hate in order to send messages).

Your approach to comics is not healthy. In all honesty, you should drop everything and take a break.
>>
>>89619165
>why can't Superman or Batman be
or a gay person and no one make a big deal of
>Who is Apollo and Midnighter
>>
>>89619165
>get nonhouse artists and just be creative
make comics interesting again
>What is Dr Fate
>>
>>89619196
just I want more creativity in general instead of a lot of sycophantic stories
like we're at a time where its arguably easiest to get into the medium than ever before and graphic novels are flying off the shelves
this is the time to take risks and they could see real prophets while we'll benefit from fun stories
I don't mean to come off as antagonistic but this makes me passionate
Rebirth is cool and all but DCYou was more interesting. Multiversity and current Superman shenanigans are fun there's some like sort of genius in simple fun stories
all I want is that
Wednesday Comics, Solo, Strange Tales, Elseworlds, Kingdome Come, TDKR are all my favorite stories
canon is kinda not conducive to fun imo and idc if that makes me a pleb
>>
>>89619214
is fucking awesome and Bredan mcCarthy's art was killing it and DC knew that book was a secret mini from the getko and never invested in it, allowing them to have so much fun with it
>>
>>89619250
>Secret Mini
It had 18 Issues. It was written by Levitz, so many people in the current management adore this guy and owe him a lot, it was never going to be unceremoniously cancelled. It had A-List Artists of people who don't normally work with the Big Two.

>>89619237
Maybe it's these creators who should consider taking risks huh? With the advent on Kickstarter, Patreon, Comixology, and how ridiculously easy it is to get online exposure they could be making these comics themselves

>A fan asked how do they get DC's attention with their ideas. Lee said that he sent numerous submissions and met numerous editors. "Things are different now - there's nobody holding you back from your own dream," saying that the fan could write and draw their own comic, printing your own comic at Kinko's or crowd-sourcing campaigns such as on Kickstarter. "The barrier has basically disappeared... the only thing holding you back is yourself."

>"The first thing you've got to do is write," DiDio said. "People tell us all the time, 'I've never written anything before, but I want to write Batman.' And I say 'great - so does everyone else...' DC is not your first stop. It's your last stop... the more you write, the better you get."

>Sauce: http://www.newsarama.com/30312-sdcc-2016-dc-meet-the-co-publishers-didio-lee-panel.html
>>
>>89619250
>mini
It ran for around 19 issues. The only reason it wasn't a mini was because it was being written by Levitz. No matter how much you advertise C listers and below, they aren't going to sell. McCarthy was just a guest artist for a couple of issues. Sonny Liew was the best thing in that book, while the writing was absolute shit.
>>
>>89616064
new talent special
holiday special
>>
>>89618440
>>because without it they would eliminate every alt-Earth that wasn't Ultimate
>>MC2 was my jam
>>Exils was my shit

Do you think they're going to bring back MC2 and Exiles becuase you buying Spider-Gwen? Because I don't think that would happen. Marvel would just think you want more Spider-Gwen.
>>
>>89621175
That guy has a few screws loose, reading through the thread he's so illogical.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.