[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

File: 3069009-1+joker+copy.jpg (106KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
3069009-1+joker+copy.jpg
106KB, 1280x720px
>"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." -Samuel Johnson

So is DC going with, Joker is a crazy psychopath or a asshole that just likes being a asshole?
>>
>>89551414
An asshole who needs to get fucked in the asshole by Batman.
>>
>>89551414
Better question, which version does /co/ like more?

>genuinely mentally ill psychopath
>guy who just likes being a dick
>mostly harmless guy who likes playing silly pranks
>>
I thought the whole thing with Joker is that he's crazy and recognizes he and Batman are the same but Batman holds himself back while Joker embraces his madness and everything Joker does is to make Batman lose control and embrace his insanity
>>
>>89551486
the middle one. him being a murdering psycho and trying to make himself and everyone else believe him makes for a complicated character.
>>
>>89551532
I liked how Hamill described him for his version. He said Joker is a mentally ill performance artist.

Makes all his theatrics make sense cause really a normal person, even a psycho, wouldn't go to all the trouble of having a theme and insisting their crimes be "funny".
>>
>>89551453
calm down Gordon.
>>
>>89551695
Not until you do what needs to be done.
>>
>>89551414
The joker is no man. He is a pressure valve for something else pressing against the boundaries of the reality he occupies.
>>
>>89551414
Joker should see himself (and Batman) as a performance artist. Why else would he pull off such elaborate crimes that in the end have no benefit to him? Why would he not question the fact that Batman dresses almost as flamboyantly as him to stop his plans?

All his actions should be written from the point-of-view that he's only doing this to entertain. He shouldn't be some edgelord who commits mass murder every week, and he shouldn't be a literal clown that presents no depth or character. He should be a reflection of Batman's own theatrics.
>>
>>89551830
Well he may still be willing to commit a mass murder but you know only if it's "funny", only if it fits his act somehow.

Just shooting people because "le edgey edge man" is dumb but I don't think he is in anyways above violence, I think he sees violence as part of the show and if others are upset by it it's just cause they don't "get it".
>>
File: neapolitan ice cream.jpg (138KB, 960x594px) Image search: [Google]
neapolitan ice cream.jpg
138KB, 960x594px
>>89551414
prankster asshole
prankster asshole that is okay with murder
crazy psychopath

we live in the era of Neapolitan Joker
>>
File: IMG_0005.jpg (79KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0005.jpg
79KB, 1136x640px
>>89551486
I prefer the 4th popular version

>rapist
>>
>>89551414
I've always liked to think that while the Joker is mentally unstable, he's far less mentally unstable than he would like you to think he is. He doesn't try to justify his crimes through supposedly noble sentiment like Catwoman or Mr. Freeze. He isn't prone to extreme psychotic episodes in which he loses all sense of reason or self like The Penguin or The Riddler. He doesn't dehumanise himself in order to justify being a monster like Killer Croc or Poison Ivy.

The Joker understands what he is an he understands what he does. He sees right from wrong and yet he still feeds into the latter because somewhere deep inside he understands a universal truth: that none of it really matters in the grand scheme of things. That what we know as civility and decorum are mere facades which fall away the moment we're given an opportunity to allow them to do so. The Joker, as his pseudonym, implies is someone who gets the grand joke that is humanity: he's sees through the masks we wear to the ugliest that lies therein and,, rather than fight it like Batman, he chooses to laugh at it. It's funny that we go about our lives ignorant of just how close we are to falling into anarchy. How we preach about love, togetherness and understanding and the power of human compassion knowing full well that somewhere on the other side of the world a child is starving to death in an alleyway because no one wants to take food out of their own mouths to give to him.

I think it can be argued, therefore, that the Joker is in some way, shape or form a perfectly sane and painfully aware. He's just doing the one thing that makes sense in a world that doesn't make a lick of it: he's going insane.
>>
>>89552067
All it takes is one bad day
>>
>>89552067
gb2 Arkham, Joker.
>>
>>89551486
>Better question, which version does /co/ like more?

The one better suited for the story the writer wants to tell.

Fuck you and all the "middle ground" cunts.
>>
>>89556047
this
>>
CAUGHT HERE IN A FIERY BLAZE
>>
>>89557481
WONT LOSE MY WILL TO STAY
>>
When is this 3 joker story going to be told/resolved??
>>
>>89551486
i like Miller's, whichever one that is.
>>
>>89551486
Sometimes a killer, others a clown, never a yawn
>>
>>89552067
Kira go back to hell
>>
Am I the only one who prefers the (rare) instances where the inspiration for the Joker's motif is playing cards rather than a circus clown?

Granted it sidelines Harley but I'm pretty okay with that.
>>
>>89559946
Red and Black. The Joke and the punchline. floor tiles.
>>
>>89551486
I'm fond of the "genuinely mentally ill psychopath" route when they can get it right. He should basically be like, the super-villain equivalent to Caligula, but still be liable to just be some petty asshole or a harmless goof when it'd work to subvert people's expectations.
>>
File: 1463195237093.png (328KB, 966x678px) Image search: [Google]
1463195237093.png
328KB, 966x678px
>>89551713
>>89551695
>>89551453
>>
>>89552067

You're just talking about the Comedian from Watchmen.
>>
>>89551644
This. I also like the interpretation that he acts the way he does because he thinks there's an audiance. He just coincidentally is right. Harley and other villains are extras stealing the spotlight, Batman not killing him is the costar forgetting his lines.
>>
>>89551486
B: TBaTB version was perfect to me
>>
I don't mind him being a psychopath. The Man Who Laughs is a good book, for instance.

I am against him being a horror movie villain (if you want to know what I mean by that, see Snyder's Joker). He's just not scary enough of a character to pull it off effectively. Save it for someone like Gordon Jr. he's a better fit for that kind of writing.
>>
File: 1470976142675.gif (915KB, 255x164px) Image search: [Google]
1470976142675.gif
915KB, 255x164px
>>89565047
oh shit you right
>>
>>89565047
>no comic where Batman tells Joker "I'm not coming" and Joker gets sad and goes home
>>
Okay /co/.

"Now that's funny!" or "th-that's not funny!"
>>
>>89565244
The latter. It's more satisfying and is more humanizing for Joker.
>>
>>89551414
The crazy part of it makes it tragic, but the madness is the rationality of being such an asshole in a place like Gotham.
So being nuts is him being the victim...
But being an asshole and enjoying that is how his insanity presents itself.
So it's a chicken/egg thing.
>>
>>89565404
Yeah, Joker seems like the sort of psycho killer bitch who'd go "hey come on guys, it's only funny when *I* do it" the minute someone other than Batman tried to kill him. "In their last moments, people show you who you really are."

Then again, in Mask of the Phantasm, when Andrea finally had him dead to rights, he just laughed the craziest laugh Mark Hamill ever recorded That's easily the most haunting Joker "death" if we're being honest
>>
>>89551414
>joker thread
>ctrl+f
>"rape"
>0 search results
>mfw
>>
>>89566719
why doesn't batman just raep the joker? ,':^)
>>
I like how the irony of the Joker is that he's lucid enough to outsmart just about anyone (and that does require true understanding of reality for what it is) but at the same time the world is so horrifying that understanding it is a contributing factor of his madness.
I also love how comedy is mostly just pointing out the banal insanity of life, and so here you have the most insane Arkhamite of them all being a comedian.
>>
File: RCO084_1484006846.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
RCO084_1484006846.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
>>89551453
This
>>
File: lego-joker.jpg (46KB, 888x444px) Image search: [Google]
lego-joker.jpg
46KB, 888x444px
>I don't have a bad guy. I like to fight around

who hyped?
>>
>>89566899
Only DC movie I will see.
>>
>>89567887
Why so hyped?
>>
>>89566899
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Z2tMOz6B4&ab_channel=Comicbook.com
Me
>>
Why do the three Jokers have different dicks? Is it really 3 different people?
>>
>>89568938
You already read the new HQ?
>>
>>89551486
Clown-themed mobster who likes to pull off "boners".
>>
File: 2333333333.png (229KB, 734x526px) Image search: [Google]
2333333333.png
229KB, 734x526px
>>89551486
I believe the best Joker is the one who encapsules all of these and retools these characteristics for whatever story the writer wants to tell.
In that regard, Batman TAS and Mask Of The Phantasm are the ones I prefer.

Batman TAS does a great job at making The Joker stand out amongst the other Batman villains because, not only is he the most persistent, he is the only one who never really gets his own sympathetic episode in the way characters like Mr.Freeze or The Penguin had episodes dedicated to humanizing them. I firmly believe The Joker should not, under any circumstance, have a defined backstory (or, if he's going to have one, make it so that it's multiple choice and it leaves open the implication that he's just lying). His lack of any humanizing traits (aside from a few moments with Harley, and YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN) makes him stand out.
But Batman TAS doesn't write him as an invincible edgelord, he is still a human character despite his lack of sympathetic moments. A lot of times he does human things. He gets greedy, he makes mistakes, he gets angry for petty reasons, he is often on the receiving end of pranks or tricks he does not like. He's very fallible. It doesn't make him less of a monster, it makes him a more solid character. And he still has a lot of intense moments in the show.

Really, The Joker should not be limited to either being a harmless prankster or a violent psycho edgemaster. The Joker can be a lot of things. Hell, The Joker SHOULD be a lot of things, that's what his namesake is for. But the problem is that people seem to believe that The Joker, in order to be effective, needs to be a fakedeep moronic edgelord who can only try to mantain relevance with shock-value.

Batman TAS had a more "kid-friendly" Joker who was less graphic, and he was a far more entertaining and clever character.

>>89565220
That's basically his role in The Man Who Killed Batman
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.