[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We can all agree that the EU was overall a mess but the Disney

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 13

We can all agree that the EU was overall a mess but the Disney Universe will never ever have a character this good. The EU shifted away from George's Empire = Absolute Evil, Rebels = Absolute Good mindset and then Disney shits all over it
>>
it's a shame, really
>>
>I know nothing about new canon: the post

There are plenty of sympathetic Imperial characters already.
>>
>>89500178
>white male
>good character

Yeah, you need to go back to Nazi Germany you racist scum. You're not progressive enough to handle Disney's Star Wars.
>>
Nothing the new canon has done has shown it to be an improvement over the EU.
>>
File: Rogue-One-poster.jpg (376KB, 1280x1896px) Image search: [Google]
Rogue-One-poster.jpg
376KB, 1280x1896px
>>89500178
>The EU shifted away from George's Empire = Absolute Evil, Rebels = Absolute Good mindset and then Disney shits all over it
Shits all over it by making a movie with exactly that point?

Shits all over it by showing that there are former die-hard Imperials like Kallus from Rebels who disagree with the direction the Empire has taken?
>>
>>89501322

Tarkin was a great book. The three baddest motherfuckers in the galaxy being shit done.
>>
>>89501749
What's more, George Lucas was pitched the idea for this movie before he sold everything to Disney and he really loved it, wanted it to happen, and was pleased with the result.
>>
>>89501973
That was already been done before. Does he still have a hot young mistress in the new canon?
>>
>>89501749
Rogue One>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TFA
>>
>>89501993

No, too busy with administrating and intrigue, and getting up to shenanigans with Vader.
>>
>>89501749
After watching it, I was actually slightly concerned they may overdo the "dark side" of the rebellion.

Disillusioned Imperials was not that rare in the old EU, though many switched side.
>>
File: Rae_Sloane_Orientation.png (134KB, 279x368px) Image search: [Google]
Rae_Sloane_Orientation.png
134KB, 279x368px
>>89500178
You can apologize now.
>>
>>89502050
Shit.
>>
>>89500178
if that is vice admiral palleon, then you are correct op, he probably is the best non OT character in star wars. everyone loves thrawn, but palleon was the real hero the empire needed
>>
File: 4466651-aphra.jpg (102KB, 490x640px) Image search: [Google]
4466651-aphra.jpg
102KB, 490x640px
>>89502050
Vader got a hot little number though. Too bad he shoved her out an airlock.
>>
>>89500178
He's still canon. He's in Marvel's Darth Vader.
>>
>>89502149

With that said, he did play a pivotal role in the career of a qt upcoming ISD captain: >>89502146

>>89502204

I haven't read the comic but the idea of a sudden spunky Vader waifu always seemed rather strange to me. Nevertheless, I am sorry to hear she was spaced in the end.
>>
>>89502260
Are you talking about that guy who had Vader kill him to better serve the Empire?
>>
>>89502260
Pellaeon isn't canon.
>>
>>89502326
Its fine she survived and is now on zany adventures with Assassin Droids and an evil Wookiee... and her dad.
>>
>>89502387

Ah. Well I guess if you survive being fired by Vader, your next career move is bound to be a better one. Good for her.
>>
>>89502387
Vader probably wasn't really trying to kill her then.
>>
>>89501975
George Lucas also made the prequels
What's your point?
>>
>>89500178
>The EU shifted away from George's Empire = Absolute Evil, Rebels = Absolute Good

But that's exactly what Rogue One was about. A group of people trying to make sure all the terrible things they've done for the Rebellion will mean something.
>>
File: muh eu.jpg (986KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
muh eu.jpg
986KB, 1920x1200px
>>89501322
Tbqh old canon not existing is already an improvement.
>>
>>89503316
That George Lucas was perfectly fine with the rebels not being absolute good. Try to keep up, it's embarrassing.
>>
>>89501975
I'm not surprised. Like everything Lucas made after the original trilogy, Rogue One kinda sucked.
>>
>>89500178
They have been moving in the right direction with some of their stuff. I mean, Disney's Thrawn is starting to move in the right direction. I mean, I hated the factory episode, because Thrawn was too cruel and too perfect. He was less "Tactical Genius" and more "Omniscient"
>>
>>89503689
And let us not forget Magic.
>http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Magic
>>
>>89500178
The EU was 5% brilliant mastery over the IP, 20% autistic fanwanking, and 75% retarded fanfiction garbage. It's not Star Wars, it's generic sci-fi trash with a Star Wars logo slapped on it.
>>
File: Kallus undercover.jpg (79KB, 537x294px) Image search: [Google]
Kallus undercover.jpg
79KB, 537x294px
>>89506735
>Disney's Thrawn is starting to move in the right direction

It will all come down to the season's finale. Thrawn really needs a win, or at least take out Kallus, for the story to stay interesting.
>>
>>89506882
What was the death of the OPs pic by the hands of a Yuzhonwhatever-former-brainwashed cunt hooked on a VR trip by Space Lelouch?
>>
>>89502837
That is a guess many have had.
>>
>>89506939
I like that Thrawn is losing, not because of his own failures, but because he is surrounded by idiots. Would have been kinda shitty having it be his fault
>>
>>89505750
Star Wars might not be for you then; Rogue One is the best of the movies, even with some marks against it for not quite jiving with the start of A New Hope.
>>
>>89507930
Okay, am I the problem? Because I'm not seeing it. I saw and liked most of the original trilogy, watched the prequels with low expectations and mostly got what I expected and I was positively surprised by just how much I enjoyed Force Awakens.

But Rogue One was just kinda dull and unengaging and felt longer than it was. My dad, who's a way bigger Star Wars fan than me however keeps going on about how more he enjoyed it than FA.

What am I missing here? What's so great about it?
>>
>>89500178
>We can all agree that the EU was overall a mess

>things casuals say
In no fucking way was it a mess.
>>
>>89507930
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp0wSiQ_Nnc
>>
>>89506882
As opposed to Disney's 75% autistic fanwanking, 20% retarded fanfiction garbage and 5% setup for future movies?
>>
>>89508433
It was a mess in every fucking way.
>>
>>89506939
Thrawn is getting little victories, which is how he rolls. He allows his enemies meaningless victories to lul them into a false sense of security, then he deals with it personally and tactics circles around everyone until they are dancing to his tune. The Sleeper-Droid episode was a perfect Thrawn episode. "They blew up one of my Star Destroyers. That's unfortunate, but they just gave away the position of their base."

Thrawn cares little for battles, so long as he wins the war. And so far (If we didn't already know how it would turn out) I'd say he was winning.
>>
>>89508565
>continuing the story and not just rehasing
>not shitting all over the OT legacy just so you can have your new Mary-Sue take over
member Chewbacca? member the Death Star?

Disney Wars is already a fucking sad mess.
>>
>>89508736
>He allows his enemies meaningless victories
Jesus Christ you Disneyfags will defend anything
>h-he was only pretending to be retarded
>>
>>89508745
I'm not a huge fan of Disneyâ„¢ Star Warsâ„¢ and did really like a few of the old storylines, but overall it was mostly 30 years of horribly disconnected tripe.
>>
>>89508441
>red letter media
Sorry, their opinion on Star Wars is highly suspect after the praise they lavished on TFA. This isn't to say they don't make a few good points about the missed opportunities with Jin's life before the movie, but I find their criticism largely falls flat.
>>
>>89508122
Not to shortchange your earnest reply, but I don't have a decent answer for you. The character drama felt real and earned despite the ensemble cast, the plot felt well managed with a few missteps in Jin's lack of adult backstory and a lack of congruence with A New Hope. The cinematography was great, as was the world building. Maybe a samurai movie joined to a war movie isn't everyone's cup of tea regarding Star Wars, but I honestly feel like detractors were watching another movie.
>>
>>89508433
There are exactly three good EU stories—the Han Solo trilogy. That's it. Everything else is shit and calling those who don't like it casuals is the height of fan hypocrisy.
>>
>>89508745
You're basically describing every EU story. Sure, TFA is about as bad as Star Wars gets, but the EU is a heaping trash barge fire.
>>
>>89508844
At this point I think they just hate Star Wars. Their initial review of TFA wasn't really objective, and every time they talk about Star Wars now it's loaded with bitterness.
>>
>>89509070
>I disagree with them about <THING> therefore they must secretly hate <THING>
This is like the most fanboy statement in this thread.
>>
>>89509110
I agree with them though.
>>
>>89509070
I think that's the persona they want to put on every since the Plinkett revies, but what gets me about the TFA and Rogue One reviews is that everything feels hollow. None of the praise or criticism feels genuine.
>>
>>89509136
Well fuck, there goes my theory.
>>
>>89509192
I probably should have clarified that I don't think they hate Star Wars, they're just not fans of the commercialization of it, and think that it's getting kind of oversaturated with a new movie every year.
>>
>>89508826
>it was mostly 30 years of horribly disconnected tripe.
You know just saying stuff doesn't make it true right? I don't know if you've actually read any of the old EU but it was absolutely not the mess Disneyfags make it out to be.

The EU itself was actually amazingly consistent for a 30 year long multi-media project. The only real big contradictions come from the Clone Wars tv series, and I just count that as part of the Disney shit and not the EU.
>>
>>89502150
It's a shame they didn't bring him to Rebels with Thrawn he was what I was really hoping for, Thrawn is great but Palleon adds a lot more.
>>
>>89508988
>fan hypocrisy
But it's true. Saying shit like
>There are exactly three good EU stories
only serves to further prove that.

There have been zero good stories in the DIsney Star Wars (including TCW)
>>
>>89509229
Well, they pretty much directly state that in every video they make about SW these days. And they make a lot of videos about SW these days. Because it brings views.

Damn, this is getting pretty meta.

I was really happy the second nerd crew video moved on to mocking loot crate.
>>
>>89509260
While I agree the EU achieved a surprising level of continuity, so many of the narratives were so bad that "tripe" is still the best word for most of it. True, there are a few gems, but they're utterly in the minority.
>>
>>89509045
How the fuck did the EU pander to nostalgia when one of the main complaints from casuals is that it was too different from the OT? Hell, people still bitch that they killed Chewbacca.
>>
>>89509300
It's not just Star Wars they're sick of, but the whole commercialization of "nerd" culture, of which Star Wars is a part of.
>>
>>89509296
If you looked at my claim that the only three good works in the EU were the Han Solo trilogy from the 70s and took it seriously and not as some hipster pose, then well, here's your (you).
>>
>>89503689
don't make me post it
>>
>>89509339
Those aren't my complaints. My complaints is that the EU retreads the same stories, the same characters, and the same drama in an ongoing cycle of "not this shit again," with a few moments of ingenuity that are largely unreadable and fewer still that are genuinely inspiring.
>>
>>89507856
That's pretty much the empire in general the only competent commanders are surrounded by an ocean of incompetence.
>>
>>89509350
>the Han Solo trilogy from the 70s
I assumed you were talking about the actual great Han Solo Trilogy by A. C. Crispin from the late 90's and since they actually are really great books assumed you were serious.
>>
>>89509424
Fair. I should have qualified further. And actually the 70s books a pretty good too, but I can't compare them to the series you've referred to.
>>
>>89509403
But it literally doesn't. Things were constantly changing in the EU.

The only "drama" that was repeated was stuff like the Imperial Remnant and Dark Side users, both of which are staples of Star Wars itself. Even then the Imperial Remnant stuff was constantly changing, same with the various Dark Side users. Unless you mean some of the stand alone novel stuff. But on the whole there were very clear different and evolving arcs for both the characters and the galaxy as a whole.

Luke rebuilding the JO if my favorite aspect of the old EU precisely because he does it so differently from what had come before.
>>
>>89500178
Well yeah, the DU is terrible in every regard so far and doesn't look to get any better. This is what the Mouse does. It eats things and shits out profitable mass-market slop.
>>
>>89509260
>>89509315
Both true, though I think that ever since Denning started the Dark Nest idiocy, the books were plowing themselves into the ground trying desperately to be Game of Thrones "Who will die next" garbage. Plus, they anticipated the least interesting villian of all time, Kyle "Jacen" Ren.
>>
>>89509296
Not quite true. Lost Stars was pretty solid. And Before the Awakening was decent.

But nothing matches Zahn's trilogy for imagination and plotting, and nothing at all matches the X-Wing novels for characters (including I, Jedi).
>>
>>89511003
I liked the parts of Dark Nest where the characters saw Anakin from ROTS in R2's data thingy

Denning was good with PT and OT bridging stuff. Tatooine Ghost was great with that.
>>
>>89509070

TFA was kind of bad though.
>>
>>89511077
I mean...it was less bad than his attempts to recreate the PT. Star by Star was pretty enjoyable, though if you reread it post-Legacy of the Force, you can see the obession he has with being "serious" which led to the EU's increasing lack of fun.

Obviously, I'm an Allston fan, so I can appreciate some of the Legacy and Fate of the Jedi stuff, but in general, the EU post 2005 is a bleak, unpleasant, poorly thought through mess of garbage.

Doesn't make up for the fact that the X-Wing novels are being forgotten.
>>
>>89511205
I know, their original review was positive, and I put that down to them not giving it an objective review for a variety of reasons.
>>
>>89509142
>None of the praise or criticism feels genuine
That's how I feel about most e-celeb reviewers these days. They just say whatever they think will get them the most views and therefore JewTube shekels.
>>
>>89509260
>I just count that as part of the Disney shit
>premiered 5 years before Disney bought Star Wars
>>
>>89509296
>There have been zero good stories in the DIsney Star Wars (including TCW)
How many of them have you actually read?
>>
>>89501749
The whole theme of Star Wars is good vs evil, they're not meant to be nuanced.
>>
>>89513033
Well, some people think that there's room for complexity even in that framework.
>>
>>89508966
>The character drama felt real and earned despite the ensemble cast
Are you joking? None of the characters in that movie were memorable in any way. The biggest impact it had was just the cool battle scene at the end.
>>
I just started reading Heir to the Empire and I'm really digging it, I'll probably finish the trilogy barring some dramatic dip in quality. I know that the vast majority of the EU was absolute garbage, but are there any other stories that are highly recommended?
>>
>>89500178
The Legacy Era will always be better than TFA and sequels.
>>
>>89511999
It's where 90% of the Legends contradictions come from. It's just easier to count it with the Disney stuff especially since they do count it as part of their canon. Plus I never really liked it in the first place.
>Anakin actually had an apprentice that was never mention before because reasons George TOTALLY planned it all out decades ago
>Ahsoka is literally more annoying that Jar-Jar
>The complete butchering of the Mandos
>Countless other shit I've blocked from my memory
Disney can have it.

Tartakovsky's Clone Wars on the other hand is absolutely part of the Legends canon.
>>
>>89513608
And Disney has failed at it every time they pretend to try.
>>
File: 3660545-2953800473-Denar.jpg (1MB, 1919x1390px) Image search: [Google]
3660545-2953800473-Denar.jpg
1MB, 1919x1390px
The new EU so far has nothing as good as the best of the old EU. It doesn't have anything on the level of

>The Thrawn Trilogy
>KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2
>The Tales of the Jedi comics
>The X-Wing novels
>Dark Forces
>The tabletop game

When the old EU was bad, it was really bad. But when it was good, it was glorious. The new EU doesn't have anything as good as the old EU's best. But it's still early.
>>
>>89513893
>I know that the vast majority of the EU was absolute garbage
How the fuck do you know that if you've never read any of it before?

This is the fucking problem with you casual Disneyfags.
>hurr durr Legends was a mess
>hurr durr Legends was mostly shit
Reading a fucking wiki summary or a comment by some other fag that's never read any of it their lives doesn't make it true.
>>
Pellaeon is love, Pellaeon is life.
>>
>>89502150
I've heard of Palleon a few times, what's some good stuff to read about him?
>>
>>89514015
>How the fuck do you know that if you've never read any of it before?

I read some Star Wars novels when I was younger and stopped because they were trash. I'm currently giving them another shot because a friend said the Thrawn trilogy was good. Stop trying to label everyone who disagrees with your terrible taste as "Disneyfags."
>>
>>89509356
Post what?
>>
>>89513893
Darth Bane trilogy is great (for you). If you like the rest of the Thrawn trilogy, maybe give the rest of the Zahn books a try.

>>89514015
>being this angry over some dumb Star Wars books
Almost as edgy as Troy Denning here.
>>
>>89513982
>KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2
I was never blown away by KOTOR 1 desu. It kind of just felt like a retread of ANH. Take out the SUPER TWIST and HK-47 and it's really only average.
>>
>>89514094
>I read some Star Wars novels when I was younger and stopped because they were trash.
Sure you did.

Still doesn't explain how you
>know that the vast majority of the EU was absolute garbage
If you totally only read a few when you were younger.
You seem like the definition of an edgy hipster Disneyfag.
>>
Worst of Old EU >>>>>>>>> TFA

You know it's true.
>>
>>89514249

Jesus Christ you're sad. You asked why I thought the EU got really shit and I told you, so your response is NUH UH YOU'RE LYING. I BET YOU LIKE DISNEY!!!! I don't even really like the new Star Wars movies, I think they're ok. I get the feeling you have some sort of persecution complex because no one likes the universe you've attached your self worth to for some reason.
>>
>>89501304
while being a troll, there is a point behind this. There are enough good white characters- and if we're going to break the Empire away from being a white supremacist group, we should have a sympathetic female of color character within their leadership. Not sympathetic in that they agree with the rebels, but along the lines of Paelleon without his baggage.
>>
>>89514343
Anon. No. Stop, go home. You've lost.
>>
>>89514405
I don't give a shit what you like or dislike. I was just pointing out that you were clearly trying to be some edgy hipster
>asks for old EU recs
>says how hes reading literally the most popular and well received EU books of all time for the first time
>doesn't mention any others hes read so people don't rec those

>I-I've t-totally read tonnes of the old EU before
>Legends totes sucks am I right guys
Stay casual
>>
Yuzhong Vong

Luke's Jedi being ablend to use dark side powers and have families.

Solo twins.

Leia using the force.

Dark Luke

Emperor Clone

Remnant

Wraith Squadron

That one planet of humans almost outside the galaxy. Exiled for rebellion against the old republic.

Force users that were not jedi, sith, or rent.

Genetically enhanced ewoks piloting star fighters
>>
>>89514536
>trying to be some edgy hipster
anon I don't think you know what this means.
>>
File: Lusankya_vs_Reaper.jpg (480KB, 1500x964px) Image search: [Google]
Lusankya_vs_Reaper.jpg
480KB, 1500x964px
Thanks to Disney, we will NEVER see this happen.

Two Super Star Destroyers trying to kill each other.

It sucks.
>>
>>89514630
>two giant spaceships firing lasers at each other

If you want that you can just watch the opening of RotS
>>
>>89514630
Member when the Empire hid a SSD on the surface of Coruscant? Running and upside down gravity prison mine under it
>>
>>89514705

It's much cooler when the two ships are the same type, but on opposing sides.
>>
>>89514590
Leia could always use the force. She did it in Empire.

BUT DON'T FORGET PALPATINE'S SON (and subsequent grandson) WITH THREE EYES.
>>
>>89513941
>Anakin actually had an apprentice that was never mention before because reasons
Good thing Legends never had any of that...

...except for the literal dozens of Jedi that survived Order 66 that were never mentioned before because reasons.

Stop acting like the EU was perfect before TCW came around. It's full of stupid shit like Emperor Clones and Death Star IG-88 and the Vong and Sun Crushers.

>Tartakovsky's Clone Wars on the other hand is absolutely part of the Legends canon.

Sure, if that's how you want to treat it. That's the fun thing about canon -- it's literally made up. Your personal canon can be whatever the fuck you want it to be.
>>
>>89514015
>How the fuck do you know that if you've never read any of it before?
Says a guy who has almost certainly not read anything under Disney canon.
>>
>>89502047
No joke. I care about every R1 character a million times more than Fin and Rei.
>>
>>89502326
>but the idea of a sudden spunky Vader waifu

That's not what it was. They spent the entire run trying to stab each other in the back. As son as she outlived her usefulness Vader tried to kill her.
>>
File: KOTOR 2 ties up the loose ends.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
KOTOR 2 ties up the loose ends.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>89514141
Both KOTORS are pretty flawed games. 2 fizzled out completely at the end.
>>
>>89514918
>Emperor Clones
Why are Disneyfags so triggered by the Palpatine clones? It makes perfect sense in context
>he's one of the most power and knowledgeable darkside users in history
>he and his master were researching immortality via the force for decades
>cloning technology is readily available
makes more sense for him to have something like his clone bodies setup then going out like a total bitch because he fell down a hole. Not to mention cloning yourself and transferring you consciousness is already a thing in the DU with Cylo? If some scientist can do it why wouldn't Palpatine?

>that survived Order 66
Because Order 66 wasn't a thing until George thought of it decades after the fact. Plus it was an easy thing to retcon in a few surviving Jedi. Hell, Jedi survived the purge in the DU as well.
>>
>>89515338
>Everyone that thinks EU was stupid is a Disneyfag!

Anon, only the Sith think in absolutes.
>>
>>89515338
>makes more sense for him to have something like his clone bodies setup then going out like a total bitch because he fell down a hole. Not to mention cloning yourself and transferring you consciousness is already a thing in the DU with Cylo? If some scientist can do it why wouldn't Palpatine?
Just because you can narratively justify it doesn't make it not incredibly stupid.
>>
>>89514764
True fact. That was one of the things that made Star Trek II so good, the opposing vessels were both Federation even if not the same class of ship.
>>
>>89514993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9-vP7kJheI
;^)
>>
>>89515567
>Just because you can narratively justify it doesn't make it not incredibly stupid.
The fuck does this even mean?
>people have literal magic powers
>one of the main characters is a giant humanoid-dog
>a million other weird aliens
>tonnes of incredibly advanced technology including mass cloning
But Palpatine clones are a bridge too far? How? Why? Star Wars is literally nothing but crazy out there magic stuff.

How is it stupid if (by your own admission) it's completely narratively justifiable and isn't any less stupid than 99% of the other stuff in Star Wars?
>>
>>89515659
I don't really need Plinkett to weigh in. I know how I feel about the characters in both movies.
>>
>>89515338
>If some scientist can do it why wouldn't Palpatine?
Because it's bad storytelling.

"You know the bad guy that died at the end of the last movie? Just kidding, he's not dead, and that whole victory doesn't really matter now."

> Plus it was an easy thing to retcon
>My retcons are more okay than your retcons

It was easy to retcon in Ahsoka too. The only time she would have ever been mentioned is during Episode 3, but it was never pertinent to the story anyway.

Furthermore, the EU *DID* gave Vader a secret apprentice that was never mentioned because reasons.

> Hell, Jedi survived the purge in the DU as well

Firstly, there are currently ~5 Jedi that actually survived, two of them being Obi Wan and Yoda. So far, though, none of the other three have been shown to survive into the original trilogy.

The problem isn't that some Jedi survived. The problem in the EU is that SO MANY Jedi survived and lived throughout the entire duration of the GCW. Why, then, did Yoda act like the Jedi were all gone? Why did none of them help him and Obi Wan? "He was in hiding for reasons" gets old after it happens a few times.
>>
Because Cylo was a crazy fuck, and Vader destroyed his ship with all of his technology in it, rendering Sheev unable to utilize it for himself. And in that same comic, Vader eventually decides to turn heel on Sheev in secret, meaning he probably did some secret missions to get rid of any ways for his master to get a second chance in life. He probably slayed a bunch of scientists who could have been been the next Cylo to make sure of that.
>>
>>89514590
>Genetically enhanced ewoks piloting star fighters

Talk shit get banged
>>
>>89515769
>Because it's bad storytelling.
It's bad storytelling to stick to the in-universe that's been established? Bad storytelling would be completely ignoring something that SHOULD be possible with everything we know about their universe but doesn't happen because reasons.

>"You know how Luke was going to rebuild the Jedi Order and return the Jedi? Just kidding, he doesn't, and his entire journey was for nothing."

>The only time she would have ever been mentioned is during Episode 3, but it was never pertinent to the story anyway.
Yeah, Anakin turning to the dark side and the fall of the Jedi would hardly be the time to mention his former apprentice.

>The problem in the EU is that SO MANY Jedi survived
I wouldn't call 1-2% SO MANY.
>Why, then, did Yoda act like the Jedi were all gone?
The same he could literally sit 2 feet away from a Sith Lord and not know, he's not all knowing.

I like how you just straight up handwave away all the problems with the DU but if it happened in the EU then it's for some reason stupid. I bet if Snoke turns out to be Palpatine you'd defend it while at the same time saying how it was done in the old EU was stupid.
>>
>>89500178
>The EU shifted away from George's Empire = Absolute Evil, Rebels = Absolute Good
One of many reasons it was terrible.
>>
>>89514141
KOTOR 1 is also just full of stock Bioware bullshit, from the Secret Precursor Civilization Coming Back To Fuck Everyone to the party member love interest betrayal arc.
>>
>>89516046
>Bad storytelling would be completely ignoring something that SHOULD be possible with everything we know about their universe but doesn't happen because reasons.
So then why aren't there Vader and Luke and Obi Wan clones? Or clones for all the other Jedi that died throughout the years?

>Yeah, Anakin turning to the dark side and the fall of the Jedi would hardly be the time to mention his former apprentice.

Sure, he could've mentioned her there. But he didn't have to. His motivations work the exact same whether he mentions her or not. It's a retcon, and no different than the hundreds that were added after the OT came out.

You could also say it might have been prudent to tell Luke who Vader was at sometime. But it's not too hard to work around that one either.

>I wouldn't call 1-2% SO MANY.
The whole point of the OT is that Luke is now the last Jedi, and therefore the first Jedi of the new era.

Literally dozens of Jedi knights, masters, and apprentices surviving kind of spits in the face of that whole narrative.

>I like how you just straight up handwave away all the problems with the DU
No I didn't, because they don't apply yet. If it turns out that Kanan and Ahsoka are around during the OT, I'll say it's just as stupid.

Also, you're not even responding to half the stuff I'm posting. Things I've mentioned that have still gone ignored from you:

>Starkiller
>Death Star IG-88
>Vong
>Sun Crushers

Are you just cherry picking my comments because Emperor Clones was the only part you could defend? Because that's sure how it seems.

I've never said I love everything about Disney Canon or that I hate everything about the EU. There's good and bad in both. But for some reason you're unwilling to admit that there were a lot of flaws in the EU, and you haven't really given any indication that you've actually read the new stuff.
>>
>>89516046
>It's bad storytelling to stick to the in-universe that's been established?
It was a bad idea to introduce the idea of clones altogether (at least clones in the sense that the EU handled them as opposed to a vague mention of "clone wars".) You create these exact kinds of issues where you either don't use them and ask why, or you nix any sense of narrative stakes since anyone can be replaced. It's similar to how a lot of shit in movies/books/shows stop making sense once you introduce time travel.

All of this goes beyond the point that so many of the EU books are just terrible written. Zahn not withstanding, the majority of those authors were given no sort of vetting and just churned out schlock and got away with it since LucasFilm still made money.
>>
>>89516442
>So then why aren't there Vader and Luke and Obi Wan clones? Or clones for all the other Jedi that died throughout the years?

Because they weren't the Emperor, who was a conniving rat bastard who, on screen, tried to get Luke to kill Vader for the lulz?

It was established in the first movie that there was a Clone War, meaning there were clones.
An authoritarian ruler makes contingency plans, dude. They do whatever they have to to guarantee their power as long as possible. Why shouldn't that include setting yourself up with clone replacements in case the sad fuck cyborg you've been using as an attack dog finally grows a spine and attacks you?
>>
>>89516442
>The whole point of the OT is that Luke is now the last Jedi

And boy howdy is Disney not taking that literally by making him completely fucking useless.
>>
>>89516525
>An authoritarian ruler makes contingency plans, dude. They do whatever they have to to guarantee their power as long as possible. Why shouldn't that include setting yourself up with clone replacements
That's really stupid logic. You're not "securing your power" by making clones of yourself. Your clone isn't you. Also that just seems really out of character based on what we see of The Emperor in RotJ. "Your overconfidence is your weakness" couldn't have been made more clear, and going back on that by saying "he had contingency plans because he always assumed things could go wrong" is directly contradictory.
>>
>>89516442
>>89516574
Not the last of the Jedi. The first of the new.

Also
>>Disney Star Wars
>>competent White male characters
>>
>>89516574
Repeatedly saying that Disney is making mistakes doesn't make the EU better. That's some consolewars logic, anon. They can both be doing stupid shit.
>>
>>89509356
Do it, queer
>>
>>89516586
>Your clone isn't you

It is when your spirit can be put into it
>>
>>89516683
>ignoring the more relevant part of the post in favor of arguing minutia
>>
>>89516697
I'm not the first anon, I'm just pointing out that in any universe where souls exist, clones can be "you" fairly easily. If you want me to reply to your main point, Palpatine wants to rule forever. He's that kind of nutjob. He is no doubt aware that even with clean living he isn't going to last 1000 years and he is also aware that the dark side isn't clean living. Having fresh bodies is the only way for him to rule forever
>>
>>89516442
>So then why aren't there Vader and Luke and Obi Wan clones? Or clones for all the other Jedi that died throughout the years?
Did you miss the part where Palpatine was one of the most powerful and knowledgeable darkside users of all time and that he and his master were obsessed with immortality? Plus there was a Luke clone (though it didn't have his consciousness) The transference of consciousness is a darkside trait that the Jedi have no need nor want of. Death is a part of life, only the Sith fight against nature.

>It's a retcon
Then we're in agreement

>The whole point of the OT is that Luke is now the last Jedi, and therefore the first Jedi of the new era.
But he was the last Jedi trained in the old ways and the first of a new kind of Jedi. Plus it's not like all those 1-2% that survived the purge survived all the way to the end of RoJ. Of those that survived the purge only a handful survived to see the Empire fall, and then they chose to essentially forsake the old ways and become one of Luke's new type of Jedi.

>Starkiller
Why would Vader mention him to anyone? Know one else that was around in the OT new him. As opposed to Ahsoka.
>Death Star IG-88
Internally logistically consistent with their universe.
>Vong
Internally logistically consistent with their universe. Plus the DU now also has force immune people because they ate magic rocks (they also gained force powers)
>Sun Crushers
Stupid, but once again internally logistically consistent with their universe.

>Are you just cherry picking my comments
I just don't want to spend all fucking day pointing out point by point why stuff complete makes sense in the context of their universe..
>>
>>89516525
>Why shouldn't that include setting yourself up with clone replacements in case the sad fuck cyborg you've been using as an attack dog finally grows a spine and attacks you?
Because this isn't the real world. Stuff has to make sense for both the character and the story. I get what Palpatine's motivations were for making clones. My point, however, is that it's a stupid story.

Why are you still so fixated on the clone thing? How about you respond to any of the other shit I've mentioned?
>>
>>89506785
"Magic" already exists in the new canon, because of the Night sisters

>BLAH BLAH they use the force to...
It's magic.
>>
>>89514630

Well TFA gave us a chase scene through an SSD WRECK, which I would never have expected were it not featured in the trailer. So I can at least thank the movie for that much.
>>
>>89503689
I'll be fine with the new canon if I can get an Imperial POV movie with based as fuck Veers as the MC.
>>
>>89515172
KOTOR 2 is worth it just to hear Kreia ramble about the Force. Even if she's "wrong," she's wrong in really interesting ways.
>>
>>89516798
> Did you miss the part where Palpatine was one of the most powerful and knowledgeable darkside users of all time and that he and his master were obsessed with immortality?
No, I didn't miss that. But you don't have to be a powerful force user to make a clone -- you said that yourself.

>Plus there was a Luke clone
Didn't know that. That's stupid.

> Death is a part of life, only the Sith fight against nature.
Except for the four (or more) Jedi that recently studied how to get their force ghosts to live on.

>Internally logistically consistent with their universe.
So you just don't care about storytelling, but only whether it's "internally logically consistent"? It was a stupid fucking idea, I don't care how consistent it is with the technology.

If that's your defense, then everything in the DU is internally logically consistent with the universe too. You just hate it because of the word "Disney."
>>
>>89516450
>as opposed to a vague mention of "clone wars".)
Pretty sure two entire movies and a six season tv series is more than a vague mention.
>You create these exact kinds of issues where you either don't use them and ask why
Because you have to be an incredibly strong dark side user and spend decades researching and preparing it. It's not like you just walk upto a machine as a ghost and press a button.

>the majority of those authors were given no sort of vetting and just churned out schlock and got away with it since LucasFilm still made money.
But that's objectively not true. From the early 90's there was a dedicated storygoup for the EU at Lucasfilm just like there is now (plus the publishers also has their own internal people to keep track of continuity.

It's a complete myth that the old EU was brimming with inconsistency's, retcons and plotholes. The VAST majority of stuff like that only came about when GL himself made new stuff (PT, CW) and even then they managed to make 99% of it make perfect sense.

The EU by itself was remarkably consistent in terms of continuity for almost 30 years. Stop peddling this myth that it was the wild west were authors just did whatever they wanted with no oversight.
>>
>>89516884
Yeah, but everything else left me so blue-balled.
>>
>>89516947
I don't know, I got a huge kick out of the influence system. It legitimately gave me a boner to turn to the Dark Side and drag the rest of the crew with me. That game made me realize I have a corruption fetish.
>>
>>89516918
>But you don't have to be a powerful force user to make a clone
You do to transfer your consciousness into it. Normal cloning exists in the DU, it's literally the subject of two movies and a tv series and was used to create and entire army. You seem to be confused about cloning and cloning+consciousness transferal.....which thanks to Cylo is also part of the DU canon now.

>studied how to get their force ghosts to live on
Are you really comparing force ghosts to clones with your consciousness transferred to them? The ghosts are one with the force. The clone+transferring literally couldn't be anymore unnatural. You seem to be grasping at straws here.

>So you just don't care about storytelling
Being internally logistically consistent with their universe IS good storytelling though. Having characters act like retards or not use stuff at their disposal is lazy writing.
>if character x could do y then why didn't he?
>uuuhhhhh reasons

>then everything in the DU is internally logically consistent with the universe too.
Pretty much yeah. I never said it wasn't, only that I think the vast majority of their choices are stupid. Only thing I can think of is Palpatine NOT having any clones ready to go since we know the tech does exist in the DU canon as well.
>>
>>89517143
>Being internally logistically consistent with their universe IS good storytelling though
It's a PART of good storytelling. There also needs to be a GOOD STORY.

You're also acting like the EU never had "because reasons" going on.
>>
>>89517032
I guess that's what I get for being a goody-two-shoes.
>>
>>89517212
Go back and do a playthrough where you're an evil motherfucker. It's a blast. I think KOTOR 2 is ultimately best experienced as a Dark Sider. It's the mirror opposite of KOTOR 1, where the Light Side path is the most satisfying because you get to be a great her
>>
>>89517343
*great hero
>>
>>89517343
Fair enough. I wouldn't mind a replay honestly. I feel like I left a lot of better options behind.
>>
>>89513825
K2 is a fucking gift.
>>
>>89513971
Zero disagreement from me. But occasionally Dark Horse and Bantam and Del Rey and Lucas Arts were able to manage it.

>>89513982
Well said. But don't forget that the Thrawn Trilogy started off the EU, and the X-Wing novels were only three or four years after. We're two years in, and all we have is "sorta okay" from new canon.

>>89514088
Pretty much all of Zahn's book are good Pelly books.

>>89514343
That's an overstatement, anon.

>>89514590
Soooo, pretty much all of Allston's work. My man. :)

>>89514705
Except we don't want it directed by Lucas.
>>
>>89500178
Wasn't there a recent book where a character used non-gender binary pronouns like zhe and zher?
>>
>>89518284
If it was by Wendig (Wendick), probably.
>>
File: prequel-posters1.jpg (166KB, 1417x700px) Image search: [Google]
prequel-posters1.jpg
166KB, 1417x700px
Am I still not allowed to enjoy these movies?

Is it still a meme to hate them?
>>
>>89518284
it was a character that appeared in one chapter and made no impact on the story, but yes. that happened.
>>
>>89518417
You were always allowed to like whatever you want. Just like everyone else is allowed to make fun of you for what you like.
>>
>>89518417
>hating them is a meme
not all popular opinions are memes

but go ahead and like them. I do.
>>
>>89508966
That's funny because of "The Hidden Fortress", actually. Although the Phantom Menace does sort of more go with the initial idea Lucas had than A New Hope did.

Still, one way or the other Vader does unquestionably have a "futuristic Kabuto with Death's Head Mempo" style helmet going on too.
>>
>>89509260
>real big contradictions come from Clone Wars
bruh, bloody Splinter of the Mind's Eye was retconned by ESB (nevermind that it was wrong on stuff in the original film)
Just look at this list http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Retcon
>>89511227
It was a good age for comics (Legacy, KotOR, Dawn, The Star Wars), also Bane, Plagueis and RotS novel among others
>>89516405
Tbh it was one of their first games, before ME and Dragon Age, and the one that saw them really elevated to a high rank
>>
>>89519532
>Tbh it was one of their first games

Yeah, but there were story elements clearly recycled from their first big hit- Neverwinter Nights, and the Rakata precursors stuff carries though so directly into Mass Effect it ends up feeling like a beta version of it.
>>
>>89514423
>while being a troll
Or it could just be, you know

a joke
>>
>>89509424
Giant. Fucking. Space Otters.
>>
>>89515550
If we learned anything from the canon wipe it's that the Shit Wars Guy mindset is more common among SW fans than we thought. I mean most of /co/ who are actually into comics and cartoons is more than used to reboots and retcons and things being written out of continuity. It was just another day at the races for me, but people seem to have legitimately lost their minds over it. I can't quite comprehend the level of autism, it's not like Disney has destroyed every copy of the old books and comics in existence. People can still read and enjoy them.
>>
File: 501stlegion1.jpg (43KB, 680x811px) Image search: [Google]
501stlegion1.jpg
43KB, 680x811px
>Battlefront 2 is no longer canon.
"Some say we got the got the best of the retcons, but we also got the worst of it."
>>
>>89518417
Disliking prequels is not meme but shit taste.
>>
>>89514423
>female of colour

Do you actually speak like that or are you just using that terminology for effect?

Because the effect it has was to make me cringe a little.

Some (left leaning) people actually use terminology like that as if every non-white woman in the world is reducible down to some homogeneous faintly exotic milk chocolate coloured blob.

And in the name of "identity politics" too, fuckin' joke.

As if "Not White" is a sufficient descriptor of anyone or anything besides people not invited to a KKK rally.
>>
>>89518417
Attack of the Clones was pretty shit. Revenge of the Sith is WAY underrated and Phantom Menace has a few good scenes, it's a solid 4/10.
>>
>>89514423
I refer you to >>89502146
>>
>>89522134

>Revenge of the Sith is WAY underrated

Only because it fits 2 movies worth of narrative into one film, so all the exciting shit you wanted to see happens in one film.

And the third act is atrocious.
>>
>>89516945
>Pretty sure two entire movies and a six season tv series is more than a vague mention.
I'm referring to everything we knew of clones from the. OT. all the star wars movies after that were garbage and the cartoons pulled from that garbage.
>>
>>89522134
This. As a kid I never minded Phantom Menace but I always hated Attack of the Clones. Revenge of the Sith was the best of them.
>>
>>89521707
Yes I talk like that in real life. It's a collective way to reference anyone who isn't white, but at the same time making it be not about their non-whiteness but elevating them in regards to that.

>>89522186
A good start. But we need one that has the social position of Pellaeon or Tarkin or Thrawn.
>>
>>89522805
Are you saying Thrawn isn't a POC you shitlord?
>>
>>89522805
Sloane is a Grand Admiral.
>>
>>89522805
POC is a way to group several diverse peoples into a single entity. It is literally a white person word so they don't have to bother with actually knowing ethnicity.
>>
>>89522805
>It's a collective way to reference anyone who isn't white, but at the same time making it be not about their non-whiteness but elevating them in regards to that.
You're just calling them colored, this fell out of favor in the sixties for some reason, why are you bringing it back?
>>
>You now remember that time IG-88 uploaded his consciousness into the death star and trolled Palpatine by messing with the doors.
>>
>>89523843
>It is literally a white person word

Oi, I think it's stupid too but white people didn't come up with it.
>>
>>89522273
RotS is a book, nobody can convince me otherwise, even if it has slight issues with Clone Wars
Same with TPM, Luceno with Plagueis basically saved that movie
>>
>>89521349
I don't remember much of the campaign. Was there a mission to steal the Death Star plans or something?
>>
>>89518417
They're definitely not good films but I found them enjoyable enough.
>>
>>89525017

Yes, expect you were on the Imperial side.
>>
>>89525743
I'm more bummed out that Kyle's little jaunt in the first Dark Forces is no longer possible.
>>
>>89513971
I dunno, Cassian killing the informant and a number of smaller points have been good.
>>
>>89525778
Why? It was hardly a memorable story. It's a good game yes, but walking into the death star plan as your FIRST mission while your main enemy is imperial architecture is hardly a story that had to be kept.
Fiendish imperial architects, one day I will get you all!
>>
>>89526560
It's admittedly more about a game I really like becoming impossible than the actual story having value.
>>
>>89503316
That you have shit taste.
>>
EU IS the Star Wars.
Whether you like it or nor is a different question.

Disney Wars have a long way before they can even begin to have same significance.
>>
File: 1383877871424.jpg (55KB, 474x531px) Image search: [Google]
1383877871424.jpg
55KB, 474x531px
>>89526937
I get not liking recent developments, I really do. But as far as most people are concerned, any movie IS Star Wars. Anything else is just denial.
>>
>>89520537
Giant.Fucking.Space Whale with lazer beams and hyper drives.
Thread posts: 193
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.