[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmO I1P8LjJs What happened

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: Prince of Egypt 1st plague.jpg (89KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
Prince of Egypt 1st plague.jpg
89KB, 1000x600px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmOI1P8LjJs

What happened to the Dreamworks that made Prince of Egypt? The film has a mature sobriety and scope to it that none of their later films really match, along with the most beautiful 2D animation I've ever seen.

Honestly it's a better film than any of the Disney Renaissance films, even
>>
>>89400285
Shrek happened.
>>
>>89400379
SOMEBODY ONCE TOLD ME THE HEBREWS WERE GONNA ROLL ME
>>
>>89400285
What would a Disney's Prince of Egypt have looked like?
>>
>>89400476
Moses would have a silly sheep sidekick and god would have been comic relief that followed Moses through the entire story.
>>
>be edgy atheist
>watch The Prince of Egypt as a kid
>God comes off as a dick and Ramses is a tragic villain

Man, that movie was good
>>
File: 1406000450951.jpg (5KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
1406000450951.jpg
5KB, 259x194px
>>89400285
The serious answer is all those people tried to get into 3D animation and failed, despite obvious talent.

>Brenda Chapman, director and story artist
>Before Prince of Egypt: Who Framed Rodger Rabbit, Little Mermaid, Lion King, Hunchback of Notre Dame
>After Prince of Egypt: The Road to El Dorado (I liked it), Chicken Run (good), Brave (meh), Strange Magic (ick)

>Steve Hickner, also director
>Wikipedia only lists the Bee Movie as the single other work besides PoE

>Simon Wells, also also director and story artist. Also related to HG Wells
>Before PoE: Rodger Rabbit, Back to the Future, Balto, We're Back: A Dinosaur Story, Antz (ick)
>After PoE: El Dorado, Sinbad, Spirit horse movie, Madagascar, Shrek, Kung Fu Panda

So basically, out of the three people who helped forge a masterpiece despite the too many cooks principle, only one ever made the successful switch and he had 3D animation experience prior to PoE.

The other two are now forever attached to Strange Magic and the Bee Movie.
>>
>>89400495
This. See, The Hunchback of Notre Dame for the worst example of this.
>>
>>89400285
the leftwing atheist took over
>>
>>89400501
I remember them mentioning either in the commentary or some making-of documentary that in the original script, Ramses' portrayal was even more sympathetic. But they eventually realized the hero of the story didn't look heroic and the villain didn't look villainous, so they had to alter the script for that reason. I was pretty surprised to hear that. I thought they were testing their limits with the movie and doing some potentially controversial choices, but apparently the final movie was actually the toned-down version.
>>
>>89400285
Seriously? If I catch one more stereotypically retarded nu/co/mrade saying that Samurai Jack is mature...

Prince of Egypt was as mature as Sinbad and El Dorado was.
If it was mature then there would be no cheerful opening or immature songs playing throughout. The characters wouldn't be so dumb, full of themselves, stereotyped and such cliches.
And if it were mature then it wouldn't be based on a flawed religion concept propaganda about "freeing the slaves or else". If this world was more mature, responsible and intelligent then slaves would be immediately killed. But because everyone is a lazy irresponsible turd they put slaves in chsrge of everything till some leftist idiot comes along and gives them power, despite natural selection demanding that the defeated side be killed to make way for the victorious side.
>>
>>89400426
THAT AIN'T THE SHARPEST NAIL ON THE CROSS.
>>
>>89400632
>If it was mature then there would be no cheerful opening or immature songs playing throughout.
>Deliver Us
>cheerful

It's about the despair of feeling abandoned by God, slavery and mass killing of children, anon.
>>
File: 1452054068055.png (395KB, 536x543px) Image search: [Google]
1452054068055.png
395KB, 536x543px
>>89400501
One of the things that makes Prince of Egypt so great is it gives Ramses logical reasons behind his decisions. He's constantly burdened by the expectations his father placed on him but not on Moses. From his point of view, the Hebrew God is simply a foreign deity and not something that disrupts his own religion's preconceptions. The Hebrew bring devastation onto Egypt through a God that cannot be appeased or bargained with in the ways that Ramses knows other Gods might be appeased. Even after the death of his own son and a moment of weakness where he lets the Hebrews leave, he gets back in the saddle and rides off after them, refusing to let Moses make him the "weak link" in the dynasty. Which, of course, is what was his fatal flaw to begin with. The belief that Egypt needed the Hebrews as vassals and as builders of power projecting monuments. Everything that really mattered to the Egyptians - fertile land, wealth, good health, a strong military, organized labor, the dynasty itself - was gone when the Hebrews finally left. All because of one stubborn God.

But, on the other side of the coin, Moses was an outright asshole in the beginning. He didn't take what few responsibilities he had seriously, he was selfish and ran away from problems, and had no purpose in life at all beyond his booze and chariots. But once he finds his identity, he discovers his life has not only been a lie but the Egyptian society built on a God king. Ramses is just a man who is being used by frauds, little better than the Chinese Emperor who died by mercury. The true God is angry at injustice carried out following his saving of the Egyptians from famine generations earlier, and comes to the one man who can bridge the gap to try diplomacy and ways that show the Hebrew God is the real god in charge. But Ramses still says no.

And it's not out of fate or God's will. It's one man living in his father's shadow, envying his adopted brother all the while.
>>
>>89400573
To be fair, Hunchback of Notre Dame was pretty great for the most part. Fairly brave of Disney to have their villain be driven by fucking lust.

Shame about the gargoyles, though, really unnecessary characters.
>>
>>89400285
Pacifying kids to an unworthy intolerable facist god is nothing but an utter outrage to the art of animation
>>
>>89400691
That's what I liked. Rather than it simply being the pharoah's heart hardening because God needed to flex his muscles, it's rooted in the negative ways that Moses's earlier actions influenced Ramses and scared him with the idea of being the 'weak link'.

It helps that the scene after Passover is so affecting. The crying in the background is genuinely nightmarish.
>>
>>89400759
>fascist

It's bait, but please. Explain the hebrew God's third way economic plan.
>>
>>89400759
So animation shouldn't tackle religious stories?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.