[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Flashpoint the most selfish thing that a superhero has ever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: Flashpoint_(DC_Comics).png (301KB, 250x384px) Image search: [Google]
Flashpoint_(DC_Comics).png
301KB, 250x384px
Is Flashpoint the most selfish thing that a superhero has ever done? This excludes the scenarios where the hero becomes a villain as a result, like in Ultimate Reed Richard's case. He re-wrote everyone living's entire history, created an entirely new timeline where the entire planet is destroyed (!) and wasn't able to put things the way they're supposed to be all for his mom. Just to keep her alive, when her death is what made him become a hero in the first place.

I know that there are plenty of stunningly selfish things that heroes have done, but I don't think anything else even comes close to rivaling Flashpoint.
>>
>>89394577

it depends.

Deadpool versus X-Force, Deadpool refucked entirety of human history for money.

I don't even think he cared about money, he was just bored.
>>
>>89394577
>>
>>89394577
No. I'm so sorry. I had to save her though /co/. The timeline you are living in now....it's...it's not real.
>>
>>89394577
It's certainly one of the DUMBEST things a superhero has ever done.
>>
File: Whendeadpoolwasbored.jpg (2MB, 1920x2951px) Image search: [Google]
Whendeadpoolwasbored.jpg
2MB, 1920x2951px
>>89394736
>>
>>89394577
when bruce read the letter from his dad, he should've asked barry, 'so everything is back the way it use to be?'
then when barry says, 'i think so'/'i hope so' and then leaves.

batman should've contacted fate/zatanna/constatine to figure out if the universe/earth was put back in order.

this of course (only 6 issues) would of lead barry and the rest of the league to fight against batman and his team.

and the real kicker is superman saying something like, 'you just can't change the past'.
and batman replying, 'unless you're the flash. right barry?'

of course batman wins and there's no nu52/rebirth crap.

the only thing extra is that batman figures out a way to seal off the speedforce to everyone. this also traps zoom in the present. all speedsters have an upper limit, that's dependent on their health/age.
>>
>>89394577
No, they just wanted to do the dur hur you can´t change the past moral when time travel in such stories happens all the time...

Not sure how they will fix it now by balming it on >>89394628
>>
>>89394736
We'll Barry is an idiot
>>
>>89395938
Your ideas are shit.
>>
>>89395969
>you can´t change the past moral when time travel in such stories happens all the time

Actually that was the whole point of Johns' short Booster Gold run. Some events are important and can't/shouldn't be changed
>>
>>89394577
>when her death is what made him become a hero in the first place.

Actually no it's not. That was kinda the point.

He was the Flash first, THEN a time traveler killed his mom. He was actually trying to put history back the way it started.

The problem is that the reason he made it worse every single time he tried to fix it is because NOT ONCE did he use the fucking Cosmic Treadmill, which was invented for the EXPLICIT PURPOSE of allowing Flashes to travel through time accurately without fucking up.
>>
>>89394577
>Just to keep her alive, when her death is what made him become a hero in the first place.

Barry was a hero for years while his mom was still alive. It was only when Johns took over the character after Final Crisis that the "Barry's mom was murdered" retcon was added, because Johns is obsessed with the idea that every hero needs a dead parent in their backstory.

And Flashpoint was just Johns way of going "Now no one is allowed to change what I added to the character, because if Barry's mom gets saved, the entire Universe blows up."

It's weird, I absolutely love what Geoff Johns did for the Green Lantern mythos, but I despise what he did to Flash.
>>
>>89396794
But now Barry is best boy forever so it's still winwin and wallyfags get stuck with fastest basketball American and sometimes gingerman
>>
>>89396753
It also requires you to assume that Eobard is telling the truth. Considering that all he does is careen through the timestream fucking shit up as he pleases, it makes zero sense that Barry saving his mom would result in the Flashpoint universe.
>>
>>89396880
It's always been canon that Flashes are bad at time travel, in particular they have a difficult time stopping at the correct date when running because, y'know, how do you eyeball that?

That's why the Cosmic Treadmill was invented. It is a time machine, it has machine precision. Now all a Flash needs to do is set the date he wants to go to and run on the treadmill to serve as its power source, taking the messy part out of his hands. This has been a thing since the Silver Age. Johns used it several times in his Wally run.

Fuck, trying to use it is how Hunter Zolomon, who Johns created, got his god damned powers.

Now, here's two additions to the lore created by Rebirth and Flashpoint, both of which, I would argue, fit naturally into what we already knew and make adequate sense:

1) Because he's the REVERSE Flash and is powered by a negatively charged version of the speed force, Eobard is better at moving "backwards", while a regular Flash is better at moving "forward", which retroactively explains why he's ALWAYS been a skilled time traveler and has never needed a cosmic treadmill of his own.

2) Now when Barry time travels, he doesn't just have bad aim, he also causes "time booms" when breaking the time barrier like how breaking the sound barrier makes sonic booms. The ripple pushes Superman's baby rocket off course and lands in the wrong place. Joe Chill's hand jerks and he shoots Bruce first instead of one of his parents, giving Thomas time to punch him out. Abin Sur doesn't something something so he doesn't die and Hal doesn't become a Lantern (some of them weren't explained, I'll grant). Now that half of the Justice League doesn't exist, Wonder Woman and Aquaman meet alone instead of in a team.

If Eobard were lying about #2 being a real thing, what's your alternative explanation? How could he have done it himself? What, he ran into orbit and physically pushed Clark's rocket into a different timezone?
>>
>>89397230
I agree with all of this but you forgot the important detail that Barry was also not in his right mind when he did it anyway. He was poisoned by the original Mirror Master's mirror. This was set up in the Flash ongoing itself.

Crazy + already bad at unassisted time travel = erratic result

Thawne only stated the obvious that the reader should have already picked up on.
>>
>>89394577

There was no intent involved with any of that outside of saving his mom. So he fucked up. And then there were interference when he tried to fix his mistake. So not selfish.
>>
>>89396546
His ideas aren't as shit as Flashpoint, though
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.