[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does the longevity & success of Garfield say about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: getfucked.png (102KB, 353x409px) Image search: [Google]
getfucked.png
102KB, 353x409px
What does the longevity & success of Garfield say about American culture?
>>
That if what you do is lucky enough to become considered "tradition" you will make a living forever dishing out a product nobody enjoys but exists only because it always has
>>
>>89335798
the american dream
>>
>>89335710
The fatter and lazier we got, the more relevant Garfield continued to get, I guess?
>>
File: 006.jpg (11KB, 262x135px) Image search: [Google]
006.jpg
11KB, 262x135px
>>89335710
>American culture
>>
File: 1476354071477.gif (94KB, 450x523px) Image search: [Google]
1476354071477.gif
94KB, 450x523px
>>89335710
Most people can't handle Heathcliff
>>
Jim Davis had some fucking balls of brass. He only created Garfield because he wanted to exploit an IP he created and he realized that people loved Snoopy but assumed there wasn't a comic for cat lovers. Heathcliff already fucking existed and he gave no shits. He basically went "That trash doesn't even begin to fucking count". And not only does he proceed to fill a niche he essentially drowns Heathcliff out of the mainstream consciousness.

Jim Davis is a hack and he knows it. He owns it though. Stepped down from writing or drawing Garfield super early on and farmed everything out to teams and licensees. His real skill is marketing and management. He does it so well that his own creation is seen as the poster child of crass consumerism in the comic medium.

What does that say about American culture? That there's always an audience you can serve and if they're not currently satisfied you can fill that niche yourself. Regardless of anyone else's current ownership claim on said niche.

That being said I don't have any real opinions on the comparative qualities of Garfield or Heathcliff. As long as people enjoy them who the fuck cares?
>>
That's a pretty funky dance, Garfield.
>>
>>89341114
this was a good post
>>
>>89341114
So in other words, he's the anti-Bill Watterson?
>>
>>89335710
It's the opposite end of the... >>89342218
Mother fucker beat me to it.
Yeah, he's the anti-Bill, whose original work is just plain mediocre but he markets it so hard things like the TV show and the (animated) movies were actually pretty damned good.
Sure, from an artistic perspective he's a hack, but it works so well hating him is sort of futile.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.