[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You know I would've thought some of the reaction to Rho

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 10

File: iron-man-170-cover.jpg (302KB, 750x1156px) Image search: [Google]
iron-man-170-cover.jpg
302KB, 750x1156px
You know I would've thought some of the reaction to Rhodey becoming Iron Man would've been kind of like what happened with Riri last year, but it sounds like it wasn't the case.

http://www.cbr.com/comic-legends-did-marvel-get-bomb-threats-when-rhodey-became-iron-man/

>Did Iron Man receive bomb threats over Rhodes taking over as Iron Man?

>It doesn’t appear so. There were no reports of it at the time in any of the trades. More importantly, I asked a few Marvel staffers from the era, including Tom DeFalco, and no one remembered any bomb threats, and that’s not the sort of thing you forget, you know? They did all remember the bomb threat that Marvel received over an I.R.A. storyline in “Web of Spider-Man” a few years after Rhodes became Iron Man (that I covered back in this old Comic Book Legends Revealed), but nothing about Iron Man. Tom even noted that there wasn’t really any major negative response to the Rhodes story period.
>>
>>89144113

it was because it was his longtime black friend. not a 15 yr old black genius that is smarter than tony stark that was just introduced.

understand the difference?
>>
>>89144986
Then why did people react so badly to Captain Falcon?
>>
>>89145029
They didn't?

I mean, only thing I was mad about was that Sam had built up a fuckin' good rep as Falcon over the years, and put it aside to be the new Cap.
He could've had the shield and still stayed Falcon.

But yeah, Sam made sense to be Cap. Bucky was undercover or something if I remember, and aside from Carter who else were they gonna' get?
>>
>>89144986
Fpbp

Rhodey was a staple of Iron Man when other characters were coming and going. Easily the most memorable side character. Him becoming Iron Man is like Bucky becoming Captain America.

There's a difference, then, between Bendis's daughterfu and Rhodey.
>>
>>89144986

You think it might also have something to do with the fact that comicbook fans were more likely to be children back then rather than 30-40 something adults?
>>
>>89145029
Because they're idiots. There is nothing wrong with Falcon becoming cap, seeing as how he was in the same boat as Rhodey. Also he was partners with cap longer time wise than Bucky was and Bucky didn't have the whole "Grew up together" back story like the MCU did. It's just whiners whining. The concept is fine.
>>
>>89145150
This was the 80's. There was already a growing fanbase of 20-30 something adult comic fans.
>>
>>89145029
>>89145198
>>89145116

Because unlike Rhodey, when Falcon took the mantle of Captain America, he already had his own decades long history as a completely separate and distinct superhero. Rhodey was a supporting character who became Iron Man and AFTER being Iron Man became War Machine. It devalues Sam as being just another Cap that isnt Steve.
>>
File: grayskull_big.jpg (2MB, 2392x1722px) Image search: [Google]
grayskull_big.jpg
2MB, 2392x1722px
>>89145029

Because its a stupid concept. a hybrid falcon captain america? captain america with wings? captain america with wings and a shield? thats seriously fucking dumb. that's like Masters Of The Universe action figure grade corny/stupid.
>>
>>89145446
This too.

Falcon had his own gimmick to begin with, but their inability to stick to a change means you get a shitty hybrid of the two which doesnt make sense. Why does he need a shield? He's flying, and his arms are usually controlling his wings, its impractical and he'd be better off without it.

Also his costume looks like hot dog shit.
>>
>>89145029
The only complains I've heard are >>89145359 and one guy who was upset it wasn't Ian after most of the run seemingly building up to him taking the title. In any case it almost always includes a concession that it still makes more sense than every other one of these new legacy characters other than X-23 becoming Wolverine.
>>
Who the fuck cares enough about comics, none the less nuMarvel, to issue a fucking bomb threat?
>>
>>89144986
Yeah but back then fans still complained over things. DeFalco (and Ron Frenz) talked about how they got a lot of hate mail when it was announced Spider-Man was going to get a black costume, to the point where Shooter told them to find a way to get rid of the costume. Then the first comic with the new costume was published (ASM #252) and it got popular reception, so they had to find a way to keep the costume around (that was probably why he ended up getting the cloth black costume).

Also there was the story back in the 80's about how fans got upset when it was said that Shooter was planning to kill off and replace a lot of Marvel characters.

DeFalco and other editors from then would've definitely remembered had Rhodey as Iron Man gotten a hugely negative reaction, but from the sound of things they might've gotten like maybe a handful of comments from upset people.
>>
>>89144113

>Rhodey has no idea what the fuck he's doing when he steps into the role, and has a completely distinct personality from Tony

THIS is how you do a character taking up a mantle. Fucking Bendis & Aaron
>>
>>89145029

>Awful awful costume
>No Super Soldier Serum
>No Military Experience

I like Sam, but he's not Captain America
>>
>>89145515
>Also his costume looks like hot dog shit.

Seriously? It looks better than all the shitty Ultimate/MCU-inspired costumes Steve's had in the comics since he came back from the dead. The only good one was the SHIELD/Secret Avengers one.
>>
>>89145928
Captain Falcons design is COMPLETE dogshit, anon.

We've gone over this in design critque threads, the whole thing is just a mess, its just a continuation of Falcons history of complete garbage costumes.
>>
>>89145029
Because the way it has been handled has been awful. The idea itself is fine, but it's done horribly from the costume to how they basically make him "Well he's Cap, but kinda sorta not really." Give him the outfit and shield or don't.

Rhodey as Iron Man was fine. It was about what was to be expected, and it made sense for Tony to hand it off to someone who isn't an alcoholic, armor obsessive mess.
>>
>>89145991
>Captain Falcons design is COMPLETE dogshit, anon.

How? It's less over-designed than that costume Steve was wearing during Hickman's run. The only actual objections I have are the kneecaps and the over-designed belt.
>>
>>89145359
As if anyone actually cared about Falcon before hand. He was always a C Lister and no one really knew what to do with him except have him Job. The MCU is the best version of the character because of Mackey's charm and his wings being more than just a kite. Civil War actually gave him a shield with his wings being able to fold up and wrap, so the concept of him having a shield, Caps specifically isn't unfounded if synergy is taken into consideration.

The only problem is that him and Steve have similar personalities, so it's hard to give him a unique voice without it being out of his usual character, where as Rhodey has always been the opposite of Tony so he can do other things. Otherwise the only real complaint you can say is that the execution of the switch wasn't seamless as it should have been. Both are better than Riri.
>>
>>89145800

If you want the real answer Iron Man was C list in the 80s. Spider-man and the X-Men were A list, and the Avengers were b-list.

so A) no one gave a fuck. and b) comic readers back then knew tony would eventually get the mantle back. the majority of the people complaining today about comics are tumblrinas and MCU normies who've never touched a comic in their lives.
>>
>>89146122
>The shitty goggles that make the dumb open hair mask despite him having no hair to flow through.
>the cum splatter on his chest surrounding the white.
>Shit kneepads
>Red wings destroys the color balance of the Captain America design.
>White mask on Cap design looks like ass.
>Belt looks like sci-fi schlock garbage and doesnt fit the rest of the design, has a V chevron for no reason.

Its garbage.
>>
>>89145029
They didn't call him "American Eagle."
>>
>>89146245
>As if anyone actually cared about Falcon before hand. He was always a C Lister and no one really knew what to do with him except have him Job. The MCU is the best version of the character because of Mackey's charm and his wings being more than just a kite. Civil War actually gave him a shield with his wings being able to fold up and wrap, so the concept of him having a shield, Caps specifically isn't unfounded if synergy is taken into consideration.
Yes, exactly.

Marvels current writers are shit who have to resort to cheap sales tactics, the MCU writers turned a c-list jobber into a high b/teetering a-list cool dude by fleshing him out and giving him a sense of practicality.
>>
>>89146245
Bring back USAgent
>>
>>89145029
Because it came at a time of heightened political tensions when everyone else was being replaced.
>>
>>89146979
Correct answer.
>>
Serious question: why wasn't Iron Man replaced with Rhodey's niece if they had to have a black girl Iron Man? She has actual experience with the tech and the death of her uncle provides a perfect motive for her to take up the mantle.

The thing is, this was the one time that Lila could have been elevated like that; she'll never have another motivation or opportunity like this, and it was squandered in favor of a literal who.

I mean, I know that the reason she was made of because Benis wants royalties, but editors should have told him no.
>>
>>89147128
Lila wili be Warheart.
>>
>>89147128
Lila was created by Ales Kot and Garry Brown. While it wouldn't surprise me that Bendis wanted to get a character he created in the spotlight (and probably had the support from Marvel to do so), Ales Kot caused some trouble for Marvel (remember the whole thing with Nathan Edmonton?) so it wouldn't surprise me if Marvel wanted to avoid paying him.
>>
>>89144113
>>>89146245
>Bring back USAgent
Sign me up. USAgent was cool.
Just don't bring back Nomad (That costume! Why did that ever get printed!)
>>
>>89144113
Is it true that Rhodey took over not because Tony was dead or in a coma or severely injured but because he was a fucking mess from his alcoholism?
>>
File: Iron Man 169-020.jpg (454KB, 988x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Iron Man 169-020.jpg
454KB, 988x1500px
>>89149687
Yes.
>>
File: Iron Man 169-019.jpg (432KB, 988x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Iron Man 169-019.jpg
432KB, 988x1500px
>>89149745
Oops, forgot the previous page
>>
File: Iron Man 169-002.jpg (991KB, 1954x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Iron Man 169-002.jpg
991KB, 1954x1500px
>>89149745
>>89149930
And also this was how bad Tony's alcoholism was affecting him in this very same issue.
>>
File: Iron Man 169-022.jpg (417KB, 988x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Iron Man 169-022.jpg
417KB, 988x1500px
>>89149970
And things got so bad that when a villain was about to fuck up Stark Enterprises, Tony was too drunk to get up. That was when Rhodey needed to take over.
>>
>>89149970
>Well, he's an Avenger, I'm sure he has a reason to be busting some signs

That is some poor thinking skills Daredevil.
>>
>>89150210
He doesn't know what the signs are. Maybe it's a secret plan by Kang or some crap like that. To him they are just blank rectangular signs.
>>
File: Iron Man 170-003.jpg (482KB, 988x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Iron Man 170-003.jpg
482KB, 988x1500px
>>89150104
Rhodey didn't know the tech of the armor and then had to go to one of the researchers at Stark's company for help. So you have two conflicts happening, with Tony relapsing and in a worse state than back in Demon in a Bottle (with Stane taking over everything Stark has) and needing to crawl back up again, while Rhodey has to learn how to be a superhero and learn Stark's tech fast with help. And try to stop Stane while he's at it.
>>
File: Iron Man 170-021.jpg (487KB, 988x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Iron Man 170-021.jpg
487KB, 988x1500px
>>89150248
Now that I think of it, >>89146373 is partially wrong though about the >comic readers back then knew tony would eventually get the mantle back.

Back around the time Rhodey became Iron Man, Jean Grey, Bucky, and Gwen Stacy were still dead. Sure, eventually the Fantastic Four got back together no matter how many of them left during the 70's, but there was still at least an attempt to make it seem like things have changed and could change. Not like now where all the events and OMD retcons and shit rendered things weightless. Some readers probably knew Tony was going to eventually be back as Iron Man (though it would take two years before that fully happened).

Here you can see Rhodey doesn't want to be Iron Man, but he's far more concerned about why Tony doesn't want to be Iron Man.
>>
File: Iron Man 170-022.jpg (388KB, 988x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Iron Man 170-022.jpg
388KB, 988x1500px
>>89150428
And after that Rhodey reluctantly decides that he needs to be Iron Man, for Tony's sake.
>>
>>89149745
This was a very good "passing of the torch" scene. Mostly you see that these guys just get too old, but in this instance it's just that they can't carry it because they developed their own problems and couldn't cope with being what they were anymore - and because Rhodey's development into the role was one of the best examples of "transitioning" a character I've seen. Even better than Azrael becoming Batman or Buzz Lightyear taking Woody's place as the de facto leader of the toys for the second movie.
>>
>>89145029
Sam's personality changed and so did Steve's. That's fucking why. I don't mind Sam taking on the mantle; I minded that suddenly he seemed to take a page out of Scott Summers's book and was suddenly... urgh... I don't want to get upset. I mean, bloody Hell, Marvel, you have 30 years of comic book history to see how he would take the mantle and you turn him into Rightclops-lite and Steve down a path into Secret Invasion Fury? They both became insufferable characters and Sam suddenly starts a collection of boot-lickers.

What the fuck?
>>
>>89145991
Tfw his movie design is the only decent one. When he becomes Falcon again they just need to go full MCU synergy for his costume.
>>
>>89145029

Personally I prefer Falcon as Falcon. But we all know why he became Cap.
>>
>>89150613
Yeah, assuming that a reader has been reading this book since at least Rhodey's first appearance up to the point where he becomes Iron Man, the reader got used to Rhodey going from walk-on character to occasional supporting role, and three years after his first appearance we end up getting his backstory about how and why he came to work for Stark.

And even the whole story of him as Iron Man is interesting too as he eventually starts having problems with the armor himself, as it causes headaches and makes him a bit crazy because the helmet was tailored for Stark's brainwaves. And that set up another conflict that he had to overcome and did.
>>
>>89144113
First, everything was better before social media.

Second, Rhodey was already a strong, long time piece of the Iron Man story.

Third, everything about it made sense. I don't think anyone who saw it had real reason to question or argue against it.

Fourth, back in the day, when you saw black people in comics and film, they were almost always *characters* who happen to be black. That doesn't always feel like the case any more. Marvel hurts it's own attempts at "diversity" by being so ham handed and sloppy with it.
>>
>>89145029

The only reason I didn't care for Captain Falcon was the aesthetics. Cap is a very physical character who needs to be a superb martial artist, I didn't care to see the mantle taken up by a man who had limited combat training and whose previous schtick was more of a gymnast's style and build. And its just bizarre to go "why does Cap have wings again?"

If Cap's long-time black friend had a skillset more similar to Cap's own I wouldn't have minded at all. And thats the problem, people like you assume that any dislike of Sam's role must be over race.
>>
>>89145029
Because he is no longer Snap Wilson.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.