[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've always wondered; how accurate is this movie to the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 11

File: 1995_JD_Poster.jpg (377KB, 1229x1699px) Image search: [Google]
1995_JD_Poster.jpg
377KB, 1229x1699px
I've always wondered; how accurate is this movie to the comic? Is a comic arc used for the movie story?
>>
>>89138219
Other than the visuals and some references here and there it's as innacurate as they come.
>>
>>89138247
Yeah. New movie is kind of the opposite. They toned down the sci-fi environments and floating cars but it felt more faithful to the 2000AD setting.

Plus Urban made it a point that if he'd only take the part if they promised they'd never show Dredd with his helmet off.
>>
>>89138219
Both movies are good and deserve a watch
>>
>>89138219
>Is a comic arc used for the movie story?
Sort of. The movie combines elements of Return of Rico and Day the Law Died
>>
>>89138922
Stallone was more than willing to keep the mask on, execs just hated they weren't getting all the "star appeal" if he had his face covered all the time.
>>
>>89138247
Mean Machine looked fucking perfect
>>
>>89138219
Stallone had the right look for Dredd (with the helmet on), but he could not act for shit
>>
>>89138219
The movie would have been about 1000x better if it didn't have frizzy haired anti-funny rat bastard whats-his-face sidekicking
>>
>>89140701
fucking this, it was on BBC America a few days ago and Schneider fucking ruined what little it did have going for it.
>>
>>89140701
...But then we have 2012's Dredd. Now without Rob Schneider
>>
>>89138219
So if we go with Dredd lore how does cloning Max von Sydow get you Slyvester Stallone and Armand Assante?
>>
File: Fist of Dredd.jpg (88KB, 880x361px) Image search: [Google]
Fist of Dredd.jpg
88KB, 880x361px
>>89138219
Where would I start if I wanted to read the best of Judge Dredd?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdyEu5XTChk
>>
>>89141098
Complete Case Files 01 would be best.
>>
>>89141139
So, the entire thing? There are no to-be-avoided issues?
>>
>>89141206
Having read through the entirety of the Complete Case Files, they have a good consistency in their quality. However, there is a slow, but major change in tone over time.
>>
>>89141469
Is the whole Dredd contained within them?
>slow, but major change in tone
What's the change?
>>
>>89141519
No it is not.

And the tone change is that it gets less, kid friendly I guess? Its more that it shifts into a darker tone, but it never really loses its humor, its just darker.
>>
>>89141519
Dredd is pretty consistent in quality over time. All of it is in continuity yet you aren't bashed over the head for not remembering something from 800+ progs ago.

The book has been going on for over 40 years so naturally the complete story of Dredd's world has branched out into side megazines, breakout characters, and more. If you stick to the complete case files + the megazines, you won't miss anything.
>>
>>89141940
>>89142142
Aight, thanks lads.
>>
>>89139784
I want to see Judge Fish in a movie
>>
File: Dredd.jpg (219KB, 800x681px) Image search: [Google]
Dredd.jpg
219KB, 800x681px
>>89141206
>>
>>89142397
Would be a nice background cameo, like on Hershey's desk.
>>
File: Judge Dredd - Fish IRL.jpg (41KB, 600x456px) Image search: [Google]
Judge Dredd - Fish IRL.jpg
41KB, 600x456px
>>89142397
Who'd play him, though? It must be hard to find an actor with his mobility.
>>
After reading some Megazine stories I feel like Dredd would work better as a show on HBO or Starz
>>
>>89138922
Technically they do show him with his helmet off for a few seconds at the very beginning of the movie, right before he puts it on, but his whole face is in the shadows. You only see enough to recognize Karl Urban's hair.
>>
>>89138219
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds6vfwRcuS0

Soundtrack was fucking amazing.
>>
>>89139841
>Stallone was more than willing to keep the mask on, execs just hated they weren't getting all the "star appeal" if he had his face covered all the time.
Yep. Executive meddling at its finest.

>>89140701
>Schneider being in it
This too. Remove these two things and the movie is 100% better. Hollywood, man...
>>
>>89142561
>Comedy sidekick and female lead love interest
Fucking kill me
>>
File: Judge Dredd Movie - Rico 02.jpg (15KB, 315x284px) Image search: [Google]
Judge Dredd Movie - Rico 02.jpg
15KB, 315x284px
>>89142685
Don't forget...
>Hollow subplot about Dredd finding his humanity
>"Didn't you have any friends?"
>Asinine "framed for a crime he didn't commit" plot
>Terribly out of place dynastic power struggle
>AMAZING Mean Machine Angel wasted on an Angel Gang that barely resembles the original
>Honestly pretty shitty action, all things considered
>Dredd not only removes his helmet but his entire uniform halfway throw the movie, puts it back on again only to take it off a scene later
>>
>>89140735
I watched it then for the first time too.

Considering how much everyone hates it I was surprised how much I liked it. But yeah, it was mostly for the sets and costumes and things.
>>
>>89142856
>Asinine "framed for a crime he didn't commit" plot
But that's straight out of Day the Law Died, if anything it works better with Rico
>>
>>89143956
My beef with it is that in Day The Law Died it was used as a prologue to the main epic. Meanwhile, in the movie, it drags the entire thing down by getting Dredd out of the uniform and turning him into the blandest, most bog-standard action hero on the lamb cliche possible. And that's not a role that fits Dredd at all.
>>
It's a particularly weak adaptation of the plots and themes of the comics but as an average dystopian action movie with a slavish coat of Judge Dredd paint, it's honestly not that bad. Even Rob Schneider's stupid face wasn't enough to make me hate it outright.
>>
>>89140701
He had the best line though. "Eat recycled food. Great for the environment! OK for you."
>>
>>89140735
Schneider covering the top of Stallones head and going "...DREAD?" and his mocking "I am da law" was fantastic and you know it was.

Honestly, the "romance" between him and Hershey was probably the biggest problem if anything.
>>
I just saw the Stallone one on Netflix. It was very watchable because it was so bad and corny.

>I CHARGE YOU FOR WANTING TO BE HUMAN, WHEN WE COULD HAVE BEEN GOOOOODDSSSSSS
>>
I KNEW YOU"D SAY THAT
>>
File: Demolition_man.jpg (35KB, 262x405px) Image search: [Google]
Demolition_man.jpg
35KB, 262x405px
this would have a made a better dredd movie
>>
>>89138219
>how accurate is this movie to the comic?

0%
>>
>>89147032
This movie was good when it came out and has aged like a fine wine. It's a masterpiece now.
>>
>>89147032
It would be interesting for Dredd to wake up in a world without guns so he has to either make his own or murder every crook with his bare hands.
>>
File: 3502484-p00313.jpg (765KB, 1882x1346px) Image search: [Google]
3502484-p00313.jpg
765KB, 1882x1346px
>>89138247
Aside from some especially terrible dialogue and the studio's insistence that Stallone lose the helmet, it's note-perfect early Dredd. Anyone who claims it was inaccurate is judging it against their own personal headcanon in which none of the goofy, ridiculous stuff about the comics matters a whit and everything is super grim and serious all the time. Sorry, buddy, but not every Dredd story is Democracy.
>>
>>89146458
>Schneider covering the top of Stallones head and going "...DREAD?"
lol
>>
>>89142535
That's happened plenty of times in the comic itself, so it's acceptable.
>>
>>89138922
>it felt more faithful to the 2000AD setting.
You are smoking crack, you retarded nigger.
It was nothing like 2000AD. It was LA with photoshopped blocks.
Everyone wearing modern fucking street clothes and FUCKING HOODIES.
JUDGES DO NOT WEAR HOCKEY PADS
>>
>>89138219
How accurate is Dredd to the character of Judge Dredd?
>>
>>89151471
If you actually read posts, I did say that the visuals are less sci-fi. For good reason too. It's hard to show a society with floating cars and robot labour as being 'poor'.

I like the more practical Judge design too. The action scenes would be goofy as fuck if they wore giant gold shoulder pads. Maybe they could use the classic design as a formal dress uniform sometime.
>>
>>89138219
Good:
Block Wars.
Long Walk
ABC Warrior
Great costume including the shoulder Eagle
Mean Machine Angel
Armand Assant as Rico
The Judge Cloning debate
The Angel Family

Bad:
Stupid sidekick
Not a gritty future. It is one of those "Everything is bright" in the future cities
Removing the helmet almost all film
Story tried to put a lots of things from 2000AD and most of them just stayed for a very short time, like the long Walk, Angel Family, etc etc
Poor use of "I am the Law" phrase
>>
>>89151471
Faithful doesn't mean an exact 1:1 replication, it means keeping to the tone and feel of the series
Something that 2012 Dredd did perfectly, as it felt and looked like what Judge Dredd would be if it was made now instead of 40 years ago
>>
>>89151853
>Something that 2012 Dredd did perfectly, as it felt and looked like what Judge Dredd would be if it was made now instead of 40 years ago
Judge Dredd now is fucking dog shit and missing the entire point of the series which was to be fucking satire.
2012 Dredd was just a stupid fucking action movie with a plot device to allow them to throw slow motion everywhere.
>>
>>89151959
Take a nap, Anon.
>>
I have to respect the movie for having an ABC Warrior cameo, but it fucked up too much in the second half of the movie.
>>
>>89138219
In terms of set and costume design it's pretty spot on. As far as understanding the tone and subtext of the story it falls short.
It combines elements of the early Dredd storylines The Day the Law Died and the Return of Rico. So reading those two arcs is your best bet for making a direct comparison between comic and film
>>
>>89147539
>not every Dredd story is Democracy.
Where do I find this book? ComicBookDB isn't accurate enough.

Also, I'd love to see a more profound Dredd movie, one where that kind of subject matters appear.
>>
>>89147032
Simon Phoenix, with a few tweaks, can be a fun way to do Joker or atleast be the leader of a Jokerz gang in a Beyond movie
>>
File: judge dredd junior.jpg (56KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
judge dredd junior.jpg
56KB, 500x667px
>>89151959
cool story, bro.
>>
File: Judge Dredd 155.jpg (141KB, 650x895px) Image search: [Google]
Judge Dredd 155.jpg
141KB, 650x895px
>>89153742
Democracy was a series of short storylines rather than one big epic. Some were collected in a TPB called "Democracy Now!", but the full thing, give or take, is:
>Letter from a Democrat, prog 460
>Revolution, progs 531-533
>Politics, 656
>A Letter to Judge Dredd, 661
>Necropolis (part of the fallout)
>Twilight's Last Gleaming, progs 754-756
>The Devil You Know, 750-753

>>89147539
Honestly, I think one of its major problems as a movie is that it starts off goofy and ridiculous, but then tries too hard to be serious in a way that Dredd has never been. The whole deal about clone dynasties and Fargo rings terribly hollow for me. So you end up with something that starts off well then quickly disposes of nearly all the trappings of a Dredd story, including characterization, and by the end is barely recognizable.
>>
>>89153883
Thanks!
>>
>>89151799
>Not a gritty future.
>Block wars
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.