[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>It's a not believing in super natural bullshit without

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 17

File: 124324..png (821KB, 719x840px) Image search: [Google]
124324..png
821KB, 719x840px
>It's a not believing in super natural bullshit without evidence and wanting a rational explanation makes you closed minded episode
What lesson is this supposed to teach children?
>>
If you don't want to lose your friends you have to pretend that you go to church

This doesn't apply much today
>>
>>89094820
Sometimes you should shut your fuckin' mouth and sit still.

Also don't be a smug prick when you think you're right. That's it. Don't be a smartass. It's fine to have disbelief, but don't be the smug 14 year-old telling kids Santa ain't real. Also Jews are lizard people because Mary self-fertilized like Komodo Dragons.
>>
>>89095246
But it's okay for others to impose their beliefs on you though?
>>
>>89095246
In most cartoons it's
>OH MY GOSH SOMETHING SUPERNATURAL TOTALLY HAPPENED
>No there is a rational explana-
>NO YOU ARE CLOSE MINDED
>>
>>89095600
Yes, but I fail to see how this can be considered an X-File.
>>
The Supernatural is real. You're being willfully ignorant.
>>
>>89095776
>>>/x/
>>
File: Thefuck'dyousay?.png (108KB, 684x517px) Image search: [Google]
Thefuck'dyousay?.png
108KB, 684x517px
>Scientific minded character strongly refuses to believe in Supernatural/Magical Cliches or Divinity beyond simple skepticism.
>Despite living in a world where those things could very well be possible
>Their main defense is they're scientific minded
>>
>>89095246
>Sometimes you should shut your fuckin' mouth and sit still.

When there's supposedly paranormal events and possible hysteria going on?
>>
Dont be the fedoratipping faggot telling Grandma why shes a sheeple
>>
>>89095970

Yeah that Episode was silly, I mean her talent literally is fucking magic
>>
>>89094820
Not to assume they're automatically right due to a lack of evidence in the past.

In other words, the lesson is preconceptions can be wrong.

Religion is a convenient metaphor, since it also includes the lesson of not being a faggot towards people of other faiths.
>>
>>89094820
The problem is thinking that your "proof" and your "knowledge" is statistically significantly different from anything else. You only know a tiny percentage of even the small amount that you're aware there is to know. a little humility isn't so much to ask
>>
>>89095600
[Citation Needed]
>>
>>89096121
>Religion is a convenient metaphor, since it also includes the lesson of not being a faggot towards people of other faiths.
unless you're muslim
>>
>>89096210
America has had a large number of Muslims since the 1920's where a bunch of refugees were allowed to move to a small midwestern town.

The problem isn't Muslims, its Muslim newfags.
>>
>>89096000
Okay, but when Grandma starts asking why the colored kids go to the same school as the white ones, you're the one who is going to have to explain.
>>
>>89095970
Those episodes are annoying, they just showcase the writer's own ignorance of what science is.
>>
>>89095269
No, but insulting what your friends believe is a quick way to lose them
That's why you don't discuss politics with friends, either. The moment you find something you both disagree strongly on your friendship will suffer greatly.
>>
>>89096304
If you would stop being friends over disagreeing about this type of thing then you weren't that good friends anyway.
>>
>>89096129
It's drastically more valid than faith, AKA "I have no proof and why should I?"
>>
>>89096270
When have newfags NOT ruined a thing? Honest question.
>>
>>89094820
The United States Constitution grants you freedom of religion, not freedom from religion. You can pick your own God or Gods, but you have to pick at least one. No Godless atheists allowed.
>>
>>89096499
>no godless atheists allowed
This is what victim complex driven atheist crybabies really believe.
>>
>>89095776
no it isn't. Grow up.
>>
>>89096304
If they are retarded enough to be religious they honestly aren't worth having.
>>
>>89096031
yeah but a sixth sense is unique only to her friend isn't magic. the fault of that episode is that she was bad at conducting experiments. she just strapped sensors to her fiend's body and did nothing.
>>
>>89096356
This. I have discussions about people's political and religious beliefs all the time even though I am not religious and probably aren't the same politically as them.
>>
>>89096675
The lesson was stupid
>I learned to have faith in something I don't understand because I am lazy and gave up rather than try more to figure out how something works
>>
>>89094820
You know the Jimmy Neutron christmas special that /co/ hates? How everyone hated Jimmy for insulting and emotionally scarring Carl just because he thought that believing in Santa was unscientific?

What kind of lesson is that supposed to teach children?

That something that makes another person happy is stupid just because you don't like it?
>>
File: a47[1].jpg (101KB, 430x637px) Image search: [Google]
a47[1].jpg
101KB, 430x637px
>>89096900
>That something that makes another person happy is stupid just because you don't like it?
>>
>>89096900
No, something is stupid for being stupid.
But either way it's normally just a character not going full idiot and everyone hating them for it.
>>
>>89096900
>people hate being redpilled
hmm.
>>
>>89097009
No one cared that Jimmy didn't believe in Santa. They hated him for going out of his way to make Carl not believe when it makes him happy and doesn't hurt anyone.
>>
>>89096900
If something that makes someone happy is them being a dick then obviously people aren't going to like it.
>>
>>89097312
And he was fucking wrong.
>>
>>89095600
Name 3 ocasions where it happened.
>>
>>89094820
You're an asshole for being rational. Believe in ghosts and god and all that stuff if you know what's good for you.
>>
>>89094820
>Weird and supernatural things happen all the time
>Someone claims something happened
>Nobody believes it and thinks it's stupid despite it not being anywhere the oddest thing to happen

Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea did that a lot. A giant sea spider and a werewolf happened last week, but you're shocked about a different type of monster?
>>
>>89097479
Well they're not wrong. Everyone knows that ironic deaths await us all. Best to be a believer to avoid tempting fate.
>>
>>89097472
>>89095600
Sokka in Avatar
MLP
>>
File: 1482725131565.jpg (18KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1482725131565.jpg
18KB, 480x480px
>>89095776
>actually been told this at my work

People are fucking gullible.
>>
>>89097720
>People live in the scientific age where logic and science have created an amazing life free of real worry and yet people are spending their time scared of ghosts in their back yard
It's just weird to think about.
>>
>>89097647
The oracle on Avatar got everything right for what we saw.

Also there is a fucking ton of magic on their world.
>>
File: 1482999259612.png (499KB, 489x493px) Image search: [Google]
1482999259612.png
499KB, 489x493px
>>89097817
The people told me that there are things that are explainable through science and that would be classified as supernatural. I told them that there are things that science can't explain yet but that doesn't mean we won't figure it out in the future. Their response was I treat science like a religion.

The most adamant of these people also said that I "trust math too much".
>>
>>89097817
>free of real worry
Besides we'll never be free of superstition since ontop of unstoppable memes planting the inkling of the supernatural in our minds since we're children. But things like ghosts aliens and demons are also manifestations of deeper subconscious concepts. Science is still a long ways away from truly changing human nature.
>>
>>89097871
But to the average Joe the most they see is bending and that is natural to them.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uPmeWiFTIw
>>
>Supernatural element exists, so therefor anything must be possible
>Character gets called an idiot for saying x existing doesn't mean y exists
>>
>>89094820
That you pretentious whiny little hypocrites who want everyone who says "bless you" arrested, fired, assaulted, suspended, sued, and court martialed, and have never been raped, tortured, or had your families murdered for your beliefs, are in fact hateful close-minded bigots.
>>
>>89097985
But it is still supernatural.

And anyway, being "open minded" like OP said, is be open to new things.
>>
>>89097985
Sokka ironically believed bending was magic even though Katara doesn't. Though maybe she's just offended he flippantly called it magic rather than respecting it.
>>
>>89096121
>since it also includes the lesson of not being a faggot towards people of other faiths.
Correct, you're supposed to convert or destroy heretics.
>>
>>89095936
>>89096618
>>89097720
>Berenstain Universe people
>>
>>89098126
In the avatar universe though bending is natural, because it can be observed and follows some sort of laws.

The definition of supernatural pretty much implies nonexistence, at least in the empirical sense.
>>
>>89096651
t. fedora
>>
>>89096280
What's there to explain, blacks and whites go to the same school because their parents pay the tuition.
>>
>>89094820
That there's more to life than just facts.
>>
>>89094820
That being right isn't as important as not being an asshole.
>>
>>89099658
Indeed. There's a lot of lies out there as well.
>>
That /x/ is always right.
>>
File: THE_RIDE_NEVER_ENDS.jpg (231KB, 863x752px) Image search: [Google]
THE_RIDE_NEVER_ENDS.jpg
231KB, 863x752px
>>89094820
The lesson is that you'll be scorned for pointing out the Emperors nudity when he's naked. Why? Because the world is an irrational, illogical circus of absolute insanity. Up is down. Left is right. 2+2=5. Everything you know is wrong.
>>
>>89100006
>The lesson is that you'll be scorned for pointing out the Emperors nudity when he's naked. Why? Because the world is an irrational, illogical circus of absolute insanity. Up is down. Left is right. 2+2=5. Everything you know is wrong.

It's less of that and more of just don't be a cunt.
Just because you're right, morally or empirically, doesn't mean you should be an asshole to the person in the wrong.
It's more about being decent then anything else.
>>
>>89096900
>That something that makes another person happy is stupid just because you don't like it?

>Heroin is bad. Stop doing that.
>It makes me happy you closes minded asshole!
>>
>>89096408
you're thinking of superstition, which is "this is true because i don't know, it just is"
faith is "someone told me, and I believe them" which is a little more valid.. it's also basically what you do when you "know" most things, since it's not as if you ever ran those experiments yourself.
>>
>>89100006
Or just because he's the goddamn emperor.
and what's more likely, that he's wrong and literally everyone else is going with it, or that there's something YOU aren't seeing?

the moral of that story is that kids speak their minds, not that they are automatically right. You should always feel free to speak your mind, but it should be kept in perspective. No matter what, you are still just one person.
If it turns out one person WAS right and everyone else was wrong, it's important not just to laugh it off, but to launch a full investigation into what happened, how the system was allowed to become this way, and basically overhaul everything so that that extremely unlikely event isn't possible anymore
>>
Wematanye
>>
>>89100046
>It's less of that and more of just don't be a cunt.
Being a cunt is subjective. Telling people they are wrong, no matter how polity you do so, will sometimes end in people thinking you're a cunt. Just because people don't like being told they're wrong. There's just not a whole lot you can do about that.

The bigger lesson is that humans like to wallow in their own ignorance. Oh well, nothing you can do about that. So, you might as well let them destroy themselves.

"Excuse me sir, I don't know if you know this, but smoking is bad for your health." "Oh my God, don't tell me what to do cunt!" "Can you believe someone people. Just let him smoke man, life is short." "This asshole wants to ban cigarettes." "Fuck you I need muh cigs." Welcome to Earth.
>>
>>89095970
>that Young Justice episode where Wally refuses to believe magic exists until the eleventh hour
>fucking speedster
>who has worked with Captain Marvel
>doesn't believe in the unexplainable

Also get a good crack out of that
>>
>>89100130
>and what's more likely, that he's wrong and literally everyone else is going with it
North Korea in a nutshell.
>>
>>89095600

Usually it's because the doubter is being smug as fuck honestly
>>
>>89100065
Heroin has several life-threatening side-effects while holding faith in a higher power does not.
>>
File: IMG_1816.png (170KB, 395x369px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1816.png
170KB, 395x369px
>>89094820
Jesus!
>>
>>89100102

This. Most people who think science is the proper avenue through which to understand life don't understand it themselves and just take the words of scientists to be fact. Some of them even pretty much do what they criticize religious people for doing, which is believe what they're told without any kind of actual knowledge just because they've decided a certain authority is trustworthy.

At the end of the day, as both a religious person and a scientist, the only thing I want people to do is go find shit out for themselves and form their own opinions. You shouldn't just trust someone, whether it's Einstein or the Pope, etc. Do your own research and understand the concepts of things yourself. In the eyes of mathematics and science, having someone tell you "oh yeah this is that" and responding with "oh ok" instead of "can I see the data, can I read the verse myself, how did you run your experiement, can you show me a mathematical proof, etc." you're a bitch boy whether or not what you believe is right or wrong. It's not the KNOWING, it's the SEEKING that matters

sorry for the rant
>>
>>89100164
To be fair, you don't just pop a cig into your mouth and not know about the risks at these point.

"Excuse me sir, I don't know if you know this, but smoking is bad for your health" just comes off as preachy and makes it seem as though you're implying that they're too stupid to know the risks.

For fucks sake, they're called cancer sticks for a fucking reason, yet you're going to go in and ask "hey, you may not know this, but did you know that cancer sticks cause cancer?"

I'd put your ass on blast myself and I don't even smoke.
>>
>>89100306
>Most people who think science is the proper avenue through which to understand life don't understand it themselves
They generally understand the processes that went behind how the science is brought about- observation, experimentation, repetition, all around empiricism- which is all they need. Why does every religious person try to act like this is some equivalent shit?
>>
>>89095970
Kid Flash
>>
>>89100327
>They generally understand the processes that went behind how the science is brought about- observation, experimentation, repetition, all around empiricism- which is all they need.

That's definitely not all you need to have something confirmed to you. People that have the mindset you have don't even consider basic objections like third variable arguments and get puzzled as fuck whenever I ask them for more details on what they're saying.
>yeah so this study says this so that's how it is
>oh, that's interesting. what study? what was their setup?
>uh, I dunno

It's equivalent in some cases because there are examples of people on both sides of the fence who don't bother or care to learn something themselves and instead just want to trust some kind of authority. Fuck man, it's not that hard to do a little reading and educate yourself on science and math. I'm not saying I'm a wise dude but I've felt for a while that it doesn't make sense to not pursue the truth of the universe with everything you have. I don't get how someone can not look into things like science OR spirituality and just kind of shrug their shoulders and not give a shit. I'll never get it. Why would you not want to know what's actually behind the shit you believe in?
>>
>>89100306
>believe what they're told without any kind of actual knowledge just because they've decided a certain authority is trustworthy.
Alright go on and try to replicate every single scientific discovery just so you can be sure they work like people told you.

This retarded way fo thinking is what makes people believe they have the qualification to speak in matters they don't understand and that their opinions is worthy of being listened.
>>
File: IMG_1962.png (1MB, 1080x1002px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1962.png
1MB, 1080x1002px
>>89100251
I disagree, heroin in the right dosage doesnt do any real harm, its dirty needles and mismeasurements. If it was administered by a clinic no one would die from it.

Faith in a higher power however has proven damgurous as hell time and time again, and its hard to find any of the positives religion used to provide, it really outgrew why it was helpful.

With all due respect kind sir!
>>
>>89100421
>Alright go on and try to replicate every single scientific discovery just so you can be sure they work like people told you.
Not him but every credible source in the field of science and education have citations that allow you to read other people's findings as well as the conditions that they used to reach their conclusion.

And for most scientific journals, there are dozens of sources for you to look into if you want to learn more about a particular subject.
>>
>>89100421
>Alright go on and try to replicate every single scientific discovery just so you can be sure they work like people told you.

It's not even necessarily the need to do that but rather the need to understand the actual logic behind what they believe instead of just "oh this person seems like he knows what he's talking about". If that seems too hard for you than tough shit, I guess.

>This retarded way fo thinking is what makes people believe they have the qualification to speak in matters they don't understand and that their opinions is worthy of being listened.

Nah, that's YOUR retarded way of thinking. People who think like you do are people who are read a "study" and all of a sudden are an expert on animal psychology. Or people who think that evolution is true, but can't explain why, barely understand the most fundamental concepts of genetics. Or someone who thinks that Christianity is true but has never read the Bible, never asked themselves hard questions like "is this translation accurate? what was this originally written in?" or "how was this put together, and when, and why?". Just general ignorant fuckers on from all walks of life who all share the common problem of not investigating shit and just believing whatever they feel like believing at the end of the day, because some dude in a white labcoat or white robes told them so.

You don't need to know everything or even anything. But if you're not even trying to learn about the world, seriously, what the fuck? We should always be in the process of questioning what we believe and investigating it. That's how shit like quantum mechanics came on the scene. It never would've happened if Planck, Heisenberg, etc. thought like you do
>>
File: 1427461175360[1].jpg (34KB, 490x333px) Image search: [Google]
1427461175360[1].jpg
34KB, 490x333px
>>89098110
>>
>>89100483
Certain types of Heroin can prove life-threatening, even in small doses that would normally be safe to consume.

Meanwhile, religion has helped birth nations, charities, education, and more. There are some dangerous individuals who condone violence but if you look into any large group you'll always find extremists who go too far.

To be honest, it's pretty dismissive to say that religion no longer has any positive effects upon society just because of the actions of a few outliers that don't represent the religion as a whole.
>>
File: dada.jpg (154KB, 750x514px) Image search: [Google]
dada.jpg
154KB, 750x514px
>le "either supernatural has to exist or it has to not exist" meme itt

You shmucks need to get with some dadaism. Seek out the human condition.
>>
>>89097817
I like believing in the supernatural because it just makes the world more interesting. Same thing as souls. I know we're basically a bunch of brain connections and it doesn't go beyond that, but thinking we all have a soul feels warm and fuzzy inside.
>>
>>89100251
>>89100559
Even if we're talking about extremists and ONLY extremists the conclusion is still the same.
>STOP DOING HEROIN YOU ASSHOLES
>>
>>89100492
Personally, I'm more okay with people believing science without looking into it because, science by its very nature invites looking into it and people usually do and shit gets debunked and we all move on. Religion on the other hand is a viral meme that is resistant to critical thinking and can't even be tested so even if you get curious and want to look into it you're going to end up walking and talking in circles until you realize how illogical it is.

>>89100559
The sheer number of man-hours thrown into oblivion is pretty terrible, but a lot of human inventions do that, so meh.
>>
File: Infearno.jpg (123KB, 284x350px) Image search: [Google]
Infearno.jpg
123KB, 284x350px
>It's a "character tries to tell others about the crazy supernatural thing they saw, but they don't have proof and look like a crazy person" episode
>>
>>89100644
A minority of violent extremists doesn't undo all the good that religion has done for society as a whole.

It's the same reason why I don't give a shit about a shitty community for shit such as single-player games, movies, comics, etc. because why should I discount an aspect of my life just because of dipshits who I will most likely never interact with on a daily basis?
>>
>>89100689
I never said I was against religion. But if someone is being a stupid asshole it should be pointed out to them.
>>
>>89094820
>What lesson is this supposed to teach children?
Sometimes people believe stupid shit. Some people believe if they wear their favorite team's sports jersey on game day, it increases their team's chances of victory. Some people believe Barack Obama was a good president. Some people believe everyone has a true love. And yes, some people believe there is a god. The point isn't that healthy skepticism is wrong, but it's wrong to be a dick about it.
>>
>>89100660
Being okay with people wallowing in their ignorance because they believe in science instead of religion just puts you on the same level as any other ignorant piece of shit who believes everything they read without putting in the research.
>>89100660
>The sheer number of man-hours thrown into oblivion is pretty terrible
You mean like how we're shitposting in the early AM rather working on shit that could be a better use of our time?
>>
>>89100716
>I never said I was against religion.
Oh my mistake then, I thought you were someone else.
>But if someone is being a stupid asshole it should be pointed out to them.
As long as their stupidity isn't harming anyone but themselves, why exactly is this an issue? If things get especially bad, there's already shit like prison or violence to teach dumbasses why they don't do stupid shit in public.

Like how the gov't is signing in laws to deal with anti-vaxxers.
>>
>>89100820
>Like how the gov't is signing in laws to deal with anti-vaxxers.

Not sure if you're implying that this is good or bad, but actually it could be argued it's good because through their idiocy anti-vaxxers put other people around them at risk by making themselves potential carries of disease to those who may not have had a vaccine yet. And they also fuck up stuff for their kids.
>>
>>89100779
>Being okay with people wallowing in their ignorance because they believe in science instead of religion just puts you on the same level as any other ignorant piece of shit who believes everything they read without putting in the research.
What the hell do you even mean? Am I ignorant if I believe a credible source on a scientific subject? How does that work?
>>
>>89100895
I'm just saying, society already has ways of dealing with idiots once they start to affect people besides themselves.

For the record, it's a good thing that the gov't is signing in laws against anti-vaxxers, I just wanted to make myself clear here.
>>
>>89100898
You're ignorant if you only read one or two articles relating to a subject without putting in the extra legwork towards actually understanding the subject as a whole, like those people who read a "scientific" article on how "dangerous" vaccines are without putting in the legwork to see that there's really nothing to worry about and that most of it is bullshit.
>>
>>89099272
>blacks
>paying
>blacks
>parents
I know this thread is full of people who believe in bullshit, but you take the cake, anon.
>>
>>89098229
Fuck you, I'm from the Berenstein universe and I don't believe in supernatural crap like ghosts
>>
>>89094820
BELIEVE IN JESUS!
>>
>>89101011
I said blacks, not niggers. The point still stands.
>>
>>89100306
>Most people who think science is the proper avenue through which to understand life don't understand it themselves
But science is the proper avenue through which to understand life.
You can literally see the data for yourself.
Also trusting scientists who have done and proven to do things in a field is far different from believing a random persons hallucinations
>>
>>89100379
I trust scientists because I understand how science works and can confidently say that if it was bullshit other scientists would be able to show that and so it wouldn't be seen as fact by the scientific community. Science proves itself with what it has given us.
This has nothing to do with faith.
>>
>>89100624
The real universe is far more interesting than the stupid shit made by /x/.
Evolution and natural history is more interesting than all of the mythes of all of the tribes on earth.
>>
>>89101264
Why do you bother watching cartoons then?
>>
>>89100779
believing in something that works over something that doesn't makes far more sense anon.
>>
>>89101264
I don't know man I think if Zeus flew down from the sky on a chariot and started hurling lightning bolts at Titans it'd be pretty damn interesting.
>>
>>89101421
How do you know that it works though? How do you know that the information you learned isn't just trumped up bullshit from someone with an agenda.
>>
>>89101469
Because scientific findings will be evaluated, refined, and applied by hundreds of disparate organizations, companies, universities, and governments across the world across many decades.
>>
>>89096651
If you had any friends to begin with, you'd have none by now with that kind of attitude.
>>
>>89101601
Yet any random asshole with an agenda can post fake scientific articles knowing on your newsfeed knowing that idiots believe it because they put "science" in the URL.

Unless you're doing the legwork, you'd never know what's actually good information to have and what's just bullshit propaganda made to make you believe in something that furthers someone else's agenda.
>>
>>89101429
This

Mythology and tribal cultural concepts and all of that is vastly more interesting than natural history
>>
>>89100228
Yeah, but they're being portrayed as being smug as fuck by the writer to prove their point. Making a character who has a point of view the writer disagrees with a smug prick is just another I AM SILLY strawman.
>>
>>89101469
The fact that we're entering an era where this seems to be becoming standard thought - A "post truth" era where nothing is true except what you personally believe to be true - Is legitimately terrifying.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>>89102164
JD was right.
>>
>>89097817
People in the old days thought they had the world figured out and yet they played in piles of literal shit and didn't realize it was making them sick and die

People in the past thought they had the world figured out and yet they put radium in shit like watches and paint despite the fact that it was making them sick and killing them

People just dozens of years ago thought it was fine to put lead in gasoline despite the fact that it was literally poisoning their cities and causing people to lose their fucking minds

People just dozens of years ago thought the pharmaceutical companies were infallible so they took drugs that caused thousands of kids to be born without arms or legs.

Living in the "scientific age" doesn't mean we know everything about everything. A healthy dose of skepticism towards everything commonly thought of as "figured out" is important, as all the things I mentioned previously were also thought to have been fully figured out at the time.
>>
>>89094820
It's one thing not to believe in it and just leave it at that.

It's another to not believe in it and be a smug dick about it to the people that do. That's where the problem is
>>
>>89102164
/thread

I thought the end of civilization would at least be a bit more dignified than this.
>>
>>89097720
>>89096618
The Earth is littered with things that can't be explained by science. Don't pretend human beings will ever have all the answers
>>
File: Moon.jpg (147KB, 499x750px) Image search: [Google]
Moon.jpg
147KB, 499x750px
>>89094820
>What lesson is this supposed to teach children?

There is still more to explore yet. Keeping an open mind doesn't necessarily mean believing in nonsense like god or superstition, it means don't be a block headed twat clinging to any one philosophy that can't answer everything. This is most easily shown by someone with a religious-like devotion being shown something that completely contradicts their beliefs. And yes, it happens to the faithful in media as well. You just remember all the times it happens to skeptics/atheists because you personally find that offensive; missing the original point entirely.
>>
>>89102333
Not part of the conversation but I thought this was interesting from a historical perspective.

Aviation fuel is still leaded. It's a superior fuel if all you care about is combustion and engine wear. Same way that lead oxide is a superior white pigment to titanium oxide and why it's still used by artists where they need the best white available.

The problem is being exposed to that shit all the time. Also, lead usually makes you blind before any worse effects on the brain. Mercury is what makes you retarded.

>despite the fact that it was making them sick and killing them
Only the factory workers. Kind of like how asbestos is a superior fire-retardant material for many types of construction but ruined the lungs of the people who built with it all the time like contractors.

Just pointing out that often the replacements actually do a worse job than the originals in their intended niche, but they have the advantage of being safer. I thought that was kind of interesting to note when people usually think that tech advancement is always flat advancement, vs a compromise or a step back for a gain in another field.
>>
File: 1484265276754.jpg (10KB, 194x299px) Image search: [Google]
1484265276754.jpg
10KB, 194x299px
>>89100660
>you can't be critical or analytical of religion
>what is theology
>>
>>89094820
Tbf, every single episode of classic Scooby Doo stands in opposition to this.
>>
>>89100183
Fuck that episode, they were trying so hard to make him look stupid I end up thinking he wasn't that wrong actually. After all, saying "it's magic" isn't much of an explanation, it's just labelling. He isn't wrong for looking for explanations, he just need to test them or something.
Meanwhile all others were like "Just go with it and don't think about it". If we had magic in real life we would at least try to understand how it works and not "just believe". Sure, maybe not in the middle of a crisis but still.
>>
>>89101601
>Because scientific findings will be evaluated, refined, and then finally, thankfully, be published in a scientific journal, bolstering the potential career of the people who worked on it (and protected from any further scrutiny by people who depend on that career boost, and the journal's staff, who don't want to waste more time fact-checking more corrections on shit they already published), and applied by hundreds of disparate organizations, companies, universities, and governments across the world across many decades.

Fixed that for you. Do you have any idea how expensive it is to actually publish a correction in a scientific journal? How shaky research can get when the topic is broad enough? How much is at stake for these studies to get published? There's more than enough incentive for people to cut corners when it comes to research. It's a growing problem, especially in the soft sciences, and that's not even touching on the issues with statistical interpretation that grad students are going through right now. It's more important than ever for people to actually read these studies instead of just skimming it or taking one source's opinion on it as fact. At the very least, people should draw from multiple sources and pick out the common details.
>>
File: Bloomtaxonomy-e1445435495371.jpg (167KB, 1269x668px) Image search: [Google]
Bloomtaxonomy-e1445435495371.jpg
167KB, 1269x668px
>>89102164
You misunderstand me. I'm not saying that nothing is true except for what you believe in, I'm saying that you shouldn't believe everything you're told unless you put in the time and effort to fact-check shit yourself.

If you're going to be a Christian, you should actually read the bible and know what it's talking about.

If you're going to fancy yourself a scientist, you should be able to fact-check your sources to make sure that the findings are relevant and proven.

All in all, learn what you're actually getting into (see: Bloom's taxanomy)
>>
>>89103441
>what is theology
A field of apologetics.
>>
>>89099242
I hadn't seen the fedora meme used correctly in 2 years or more until now. Wow.
Thread posts: 130
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.