[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DC Comics Cancels Vigilante: Southland Halfway Through, But Will

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5

File: STL020386-600x922.jpg (114KB, 600x922px) Image search: [Google]
STL020386-600x922.jpg
114KB, 600x922px
The six issue mini-series Vigilante: Southland by Gary Phillips and Elena Casagrande from DC Comics is now only a three issue series that just stops in the middle of the story. The fourth issue which was to come out on February 1st will now no longer be published, nor will the fifth and sixth issue. ( https://www.amazon.com/Vigilante-Southland-Various/dp/1401268730/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=richjohnston-20&linkId=f3408d5871eb78b68ef93d4e03297e19 )

Instead, they will all be published together as a six issue series collection in May. Just only the first three issues in floppy form.

The comic saw the Teen Titans character character Vigilante reinvented by crime novelist Gary Phillips and artist Elena Casagrande, on a murder-fuelled revenge mission on the streets of Los Angeles.

DC Comics will make any remaining issues returnable, if you want to get in touch with the store you bought them from. You never know, they may take pity on you.

The comic already suffered a bit of a blow when it was solicited and printed as a comic suitable, but was then reclassified as mature readers only due to language concerns., and so early issues were already made returnable. Now they have been made returnable again, which can’t help the bottom line.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/01/11/dc-comics-cancels-vigilante-southland-halfway-will-collect-unpublished-issues-tpb/
>>
>>89070055
lmao what a mess
>>
File: 1346033497092.png (138KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1346033497092.png
138KB, 400x400px
What the fuck, it's retarded that this even happened.

DC needs to cop the fuck on and realize that books like this should be released as standalone GNs, not fucking miniseries. It's embarrassing for the creators and publisher involved, and reeks of bad marketing and business decisions.
>>
>>89070055
Well, it was pretty mediocre so I doubt it would've done well without the returnable issues. It's nice that the rest of it will still be published in some form though.
>>
As long as the remaining issues still see the light of day in tpb, I don't see the problem. They should have done that from the start. Same with Prez.
>>
ITT white supremacists celebrating
>>
>>89070055
Told you all DC was in trouble but naaah you all continued shitposting.
>>
It was pretty well written
>>
>>89070700
Go shitpost somewhere else, nigger.
>>
>>89070055
I've never heard of this
>>
>>89070715
>>89070703
>nigger
See?
>>
File: sonicd.jpg (945KB, 1200x562px) Image search: [Google]
sonicd.jpg
945KB, 1200x562px
>>89070055
How many other miniseries have ever been cancelled?

The only other one I can think of is (the obscenely underrated) Sonic Disruptors.
>>
>>89070055
RACISM!!!

Its pretty cool they are releasing the tpb thou, i wish more comics were released like mango volumes.
>>
>This was slightly outselling Sixpack & Dogwelder.
>>
>>89070908
Heres the thing thou, it wasn't bad, it wasn't bad at all.
>>
>>89070953

I didn't mean to imply it was bad. I meant to imply you should panic.
>>
>>89070980
Nah, Sixpack and Dogwelder is totally not getting axed, theres something else at play with Vigilante.
>>
>>89071011
Perhaps the fact Dogwelder isn't written by a nobody. Ennis has sway at DC, nobody on Vig does
>>
>>89070055
So this is just unconfirmed bullshit
>>
>>89071011
He's talking about the future. One of the complaints against rebirth was how generic everything was and how everyone's mostly A List and the response was always that they're doing fringe titles as mini but the minis are selling like shit and this decision only means they'll do less(or none at ll) in the future. Also, this signals the fact that DC isn't selling as well as some people on the internet would like you to think.
>>
>>89071069
I think it signals that something retarded happend between editorial and the talent more than anything tbqh famalam
>>
>>89070792
Prez.
>>
>>89071115
If this were just your usual editorial/talent disagreement it would just be canceled but since the tpb is still coming with the unreleased issues then it's clearly a decision made due to the sales. Apart from Midnighter and Apollo, nobody talks about the minis and even that doesn't get much reaction/talk.
>>
>>89070055
Shift to trades over floppies HABBEDING
>>
>>89071226
I would 100 love it if that were true, at least on a trial basis, with low selling fringe titles.
Like one trade of one series every month for a year to see what happens.
>>
>>89071263
>100%
>>
File: Vigilante Southland.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Vigilante Southland.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
Good night, sweet prince.
>>
>>89071327
I only glanced through the first issue, did they only start swearing in the second? I haven't seen a DC book go up an age rating like that in decades.

A Vigilante book should've been mature readers from the get-go. Sure the fucking editor on the book had only done Vertigo comics before that
>>
>>89071386
Why didn't they put it under Young Animal? or hell, Vertigo?
>>
>>89071415
I was gonna say it's too straightforward for YA but then I remembered Mother Panic exists.

Vertigo only does creator-owned and original IPs now
>>
>>89071069
>Low selling mature restricted mini with no-names gets cancelled but is being fully collected in TPB.
>OMG GUYS DC GOING BANKRUPT NOBODY'S GOING TO MAKE MINIS EVER AGAIN THE SALES FIGURES ARE A LIE.
Nah.
>>
>>89071651
At this point I'm not even sure if you're baiting or just that retarded. Either way, eat a dick.
>>
>>89071069
>they're doing fringe titles as mini but the minis are selling like shit and this decision only means they'll do less(or none at ll) in the future
That would suck.

>>89071415
It was selling more than all the Vertigo titles as of the last reported sales so it still probably wouldn't have found a larger audience under the Vertigo imprint.
>>
>>89070622
releasing a shit character nobody cares about written and drawn by two guys nobody cares about in GN form is a worse business decision than doing it as a mini
>>
>>89071069
>this signals the fact that DC isn't selling as well as some people on the internet would like you to think.
How the fuck do you get that from DC cancelling one mini?
>>
That's pretty bad. If you set something like this up I think as the publisher you really have to follow through. At least it is getting a release.
>>
>>89072093
Because one bad selling mini wouldn't have made them panic cancel it. They would've jut let it run it's course and deem it a failed experiment. This means that the other stuff isn't selling well enough to cover for this.
>>
Like some other guys said in the thread, it's quite possible that something happened between editorial and the writers so they cancelled it.

Omega Men and Midnighter sold like ass in floppy form and DC still gave both the 12 issues promised. None of the current minis sell well, but they still keep them going until 6. Something doesn't add up that they only cancelled this one, so it must've been something that happened behind the scenes.
>>
>>89072480
Those are some pretty hoops you just jumped through. Do they pay interns overtime?
>>
>>89072767
>Those are some pretty hoops you just jumped through
Not really, but whatever helps you sleep at night, chump.
>>
>>89072763
>Something doesn't add up that they only cancelled this one
Most of the others started earlier and are nearing their ends. What's the point in canceling Deadman when 2 of the 3 issues are already out and work on the third one ha mostly likely started?
>>
>>89072480
No, it smells like an editorial issue.
No one is going to cancel a 6 issue mini like this just to save a couple of bucks, either they had a problem with the team or the whole 'violented quasi vertigo book with swearing and cop killing' was more of an issue they thought at first.
>>
>>89072913
If that were the case the tpb would've been canceled too.
>>
>>89072763
>>89072913
If there was an editorial issue, why would they still release the trade?
>>
>>89072815
>chump
>sound like chimp
>detective chimp is a DC character
Detective is the next series getting cancelled.
>>
>>89072955
>>89072968
TPB's play with other rules and they might solicit it with an actual no minors warning.
I actually think this is more of an issue with them not properly soliciting the book, i guess they become liable if a soccer mom pick this book for her kid and its a Vertigo tier book with actual adult lenguage.
>>
>>89073064
You seriously don't knwow aht the fuck you';re talking about. Here's the thing, issues 4-6 have not been drawn yet, hell probably not even been scripted. If this was an editorial dickery then the creative team wouldn't have been given the opportunity to end their series. Also, the editor is very creator friendly and gives a lot of freedom to the talent, he is the group editor for Vertigo.
>>
>>89072763
It's pretty easy to see why they would cancel it even without drama.

Omega Men had rave reviews, a vocal fanbase and King was an emerging talent. Six Pack and Dogwelder has Ellis' name. Young Animal titles have rave reviews and Way's name, etc. All those and other minis and imprints have various factors that keep the solo afloat for the eventual trade sales.

This Vigilante series is written by no-names in the industry and has recieved relatively average reviews and a tepid overall audience response. There's really no reason to believe even the trade sales will do well, so might as well cut your losses now. At least fans will be getting the full story in trade.
>>
>>89073131
Issue 4 almost certainly has been drawn, and at least 5 scripted.
>>
>>89071069
>Also, this signals the fact that DC isn't selling as well as some people on the internet would like you to think.

....what? Literally how does it indicate that? It was a low-selling mini for mature readers that had been plagued with problems.

>>89072480
If they were panicking then why would it only affect this single book, and why would they still be releasing it as a TPB?
>>
>>89073131
Ok, you win DC is going bankrupt...because of one cancelled six issue mini.
That makes more sense than they simply covering their asses because they fucked up somewhere.
>>
>>89073131
>issues 4-6 have not been drawn yet

Issue #4 would definitely be drawn by now, it's solicited for this day three weeks from now. #5 might even be started at this stage
>>
>>89073265
Your questions are answered int he thread.
>>
>>89073131
>issues 4-6 have not been drawn yet, hell probably not even been scripted.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about? Got it.
>>
>>89073339
No they aren't. All I'm seeing is a desperate Marvelfag
>>
>>89073339
No, not really.
>>
>>89073209

I wonder how much DC loses by just printing the next 3 issues compared to how much they lose from customers who think "I don't want something that'll be cancelled halfway through" and don't pick up a future miniseries.
>>
>>89073380
Decent bait but still not good enough.
>>
>>89073486
What fucking bait? You're the sperg claiming an issue that was supposed to come out in less than 3 weeks (which means it has to be printed and shipped in less than 2) hasn't even been scripted yet. Which shows you have no fucking idea about anything.
>>
>>89073481
Yeah, it doesn't sound particularly wise.
>>
>>89073481
Considering

1) Nobody is buying or paying attention to it.

and

2) Most people who pick up minis are frequent comic buyers and used to this.

I'm sure their overall losses will be negligible. Look, I know you've got this weird hard-on about making how this loss of 3 singles for a D-lister that nobody is paying attention to or making a giant social media fuss about (like Omega Men) is such a massive deal and DC will never recover or something. But this shit happens pretty often and this case is really nothing. This series has no sales, no big names attached to it and zero passion from fans to save it. It's why it's getting canceled.
>>
>>89073630
I didn't check release schedules and thought it was coming out in a month. Regardless, issues 5-6 are NOT drawn and that's a fact. And it's possible that issue 4 has not been fully drawn yet either. But good job ignoring the rest and focusing on that. Bitch.
>>
File: LOL.jpg (143KB, 940x529px) Image search: [Google]
LOL.jpg
143KB, 940x529px
>Vigilante canceled at 3.
Aw, I kind of enjoyed it. At least the full arc's in the TPB.

Still did better than Mosaic. That was essentially canceled after 1 issue and Marvel's just giving out the next couple issues for free.
>>
>>89073798
>good job ignoring the rest
Because the rest is just as stupid.
>>
>>89074105
so's your face.
>>
>>89070055
Does Rich actually cite a source for any of this? Was this info published somewhere or is this from a source of his and hasn't been made official yet?
>>
>>89075421
probably has a sneak peek at early solicits and it's not there
>>
Well, at least they're releasing the rest of it instead of not doing anything about it. It was interesting but it had a bit of a slow start so it's not surprising it's that low.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.