[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

‘Aquaman’ & ‘Justice League’ Writer Will Beall Talks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 271
Thread images: 29

File: IMG_1499-1024x683[1].jpg (130KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1499-1024x683[1].jpg
130KB, 1024x683px
Beall teased the tone and scope of Aquaman while praising director James Wan’s approach to the film.

>"It’s going to be fun, it’s going to be really fun. What we’ve come up with and James [Wan] especially — he has a really clear idea of the tone he’s going to have, and I think Aquaman is one that’s going to blow people’s minds, not just visually, but I think the story and the scope of it is really great."

>“I think Justice League again is, what you’re going to see — I hope I’m not going to get in trouble for saying this — but it’s much more fun, much poppier, than … I haven’t seen Wonder Woman yet, but Batman vs Superman was a little more somber. But Justice League is a lot more fun. And I think that feels to me like the direction those movies are heading now."

http://heroichollywood.com/aquaman-justice-league-beall/
>>
FUN
FUN
FUN
FUN
SO FUN, GOOD
WAY TOO MUCH FUN UP IN HERE
SERIOUSLY, SO MUCH FUN
DID I SAY 'FUN'?
FUN
>>
>>89037602
Hell yeah fuck fun we don't want that shit here
>>
>>89037581
>We want the Marvel audience. We want them so bad.
>>
>>89037602
GODDAMMIT IT'S JUST SO MUCH FUN
>>
>W...we can be like Marvel too! See? FUN!
>>
If I cut off the fun in the edit room, would this tank?
>>
File: 1484063613000.jpg (38KB, 310x335px) Image search: [Google]
1484063613000.jpg
38KB, 310x335px
>>89037581
ah yes the old Star Trek Beyond

>people didn't like the last one because it was too dark and serious make it more like Marvel
>>
I'm scared by how many times fun was said
>>
These guys just can't win.

>Make dark movie
>People talk shit about it
>Try to make fun movie instead
>>
>>89037764
Beyond was good though
>>
>>89037862
They just don't understand that BAD movies will always have shit thrown at them

It's not about tone, it's about being bad.
>>
>>89037862
Well the latter wouldn't have been happening if they weren't on such a "we're darker" kick in the beginning. FUCK MARVEL didn't help either
>>
>>89037764
>>89037891

I watched Beyond while falling asleep and I thought it was great
>>
>>89037862
either of these angles would be fine if the movies were actually good
>>
>>89037919

Yeah it was much better than Into Darkness. That was embarassing.
>>
>>89037950
I'm still pissed at Into Darkness

ST09 wasn't so bad. It was a good enough leaping off point for the new franchise
But man, JJ dropped the ball fucking hard.
It was just shit on so many levels. The basic plot, the "It's not Khan" lies, Kirk and Spock's forced friendship, Khan's magic blood, the interstellar teleporter.
>>
Kinda beating us over the head, aren't they?
>>
Meanwhile Affleck was on Late Night and said "I'm totally still directing Batman. Really. Everything is fine. Eat your Soylent Green."
>>
>>89037862
How about you make a good movie? Dark, light, it doesn't matter if it's good.
>>
File: I HURT MYSELF TODAY.png (75KB, 606x392px) Image search: [Google]
I HURT MYSELF TODAY.png
75KB, 606x392px
>It'll be fun

Yeah, about that...
>>
>>89038303
>How credible are your sources
>Very
>>
>>89038354
This was the same guy who accurately described the shit show that was Suey Psy SKWAD
>>
>>89038354
That guy has been right about everything in the DCEU so far
>>
File: Christmas with Henry.jpg (256KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
Christmas with Henry.jpg
256KB, 1080x1349px
>>89038447
Who is he anyway and what did he say?
>>
>>89038303
Batman vs Superman was a fucking slog, at least the marvel movies have some interesting shit to look at.
>>
>>89037602
>>89037628
>>89037663
>>89037690
Okay I'll bite, what do you want?>>89037912
>It's not about tone, it's about being bad.
>>89037936
>would be fine if the movies were actually good
>>89038271
>it doesn't matter if it's good.
Even if the movie was good it will be shat on regardless
>>
>>89038535
>Even if the movie was good it will be shat on regardless
How do you reckon that?
>>
File: Stop_Invincible_Kek.gif (3MB, 640x266px) Image search: [Google]
Stop_Invincible_Kek.gif
3MB, 640x266px
>>89038303
>>
>>89038494
He watched the early cut of SUICIDE SQUAD (which he claimed was "amazing") and accurately described all the changes caused by the reshoots.
>>
>>89038303
it will be fun to see the Snyderistas scream that Marvel ruined their capekino by making the studios demand more quips.
>>
>>89038535
if a movie gets shat on that means it isn't good

I know that's hard for you to grasp
>>
>>89038354
>>89038425
>>89038447
>>89038494
>>89038522
>>89038587
>>89038603

That picture is about the SUICIDE SQUAD movie and the guy explaining how the movie turned out after the changes that was done to it.

It has nothing to do with the JUSTICE LEAGUE movie.
>>
>>89037581
it's like the old "how's it going" "great, great, you know, really... great." schtick. The more you tell me you're doing great the more suicidal i think you are.

"Fun, fun, you know, really fun." I'm getting "we literally just laugh on set because we have no clue what the fuck we're doing at this point and could all be crying."
>>
File: ooooooo.gif (2MB, 256x160px) Image search: [Google]
ooooooo.gif
2MB, 256x160px
>>89038639
>9 January 2017
>>
On one hand: DC movies have been dogshit.
On the other: James Wan has a very good track record.

I'm conflicted.
>>
>>89038639
>explaining the changes in SKWAD
>in January 2017
m8
>>
File: 1484005835664.png (82KB, 1087x512px) Image search: [Google]
1484005835664.png
82KB, 1087x512px
>>89038639
>9 jan 2017
fucking moron
>>
>>89038535
>Even if the movie was good it will be shat on regardless
Not really

>>89038639
>That picture is about the SUICIDE SQUAD movie
You know we can see dates and look this up ourselves to know he's talking about Justice League right?

Do you think we're retarded?
>>
>>89038626
>if a movie gets shat on that means it isn't good
"Critics are always correct"

Even if the movie was good expect

"copied marvel lol"

"not muh X"
>>
>>89038695
I wonder how "FIRE SNYDER" has never crossed their monds
>>
>>89038010
09=Beyond>>>>>>>>dogshit>>>>>>Into Darkness
>>
>>89038742
>"Critics are always correct"
they haven't been wrong yet
>>
>>89038743
I can only imagine he has some iron tight contract for a million DCEU movies
>>
>>89038743
Filming for JL started literally days after BvS came out, so it was already too late.
>>
>>89038867
Oh God, it is going to be a total mess isn't it?
You saw how badly WB/DC reacted to BvS being panned by their butchering of Suicide Squad

I can only imagine what they did as a kneejerk reaction
>>
>>89039152

Nothing, yet. Once filming is done? Chop chop chop.
>>
>>89037862
>this
>WB attempts to uses their edgey realism from the Nolan movies by getting Zack Snyder and his pretentiousness to direct MoS
>evryone hates it becuse it's not like the Avengers and it dosen't look colorful
>suits re brightened, quips are added, Zack's pretentiousnes is still kept to appeal to Nolanfags where as Suicde Squad is given to Ayer so he cans appeal to edgy teenagers and Harleyfags
>people still complain about the lack of fun of BvS and Harleyfags end up hating SuicideSquad
>WB says fuck it and slapp Zack's wrist and buts Ben as the Exective producer of JUSTisce league. More fun is added. More Quips are added
>everyone complains that it's too fun ad they are copying off Marvel
Doesn't matter since capeshit is cancer. The last really good Capeshit was Captain America 1.
>>
>>89038829
>>89038867
Also it all hubs around his wife's production companies.
>>
File: jews did this.gif (745KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
jews did this.gif
745KB, 500x275px
>>89039659
>>
>bleak bluegrey smokey JL image finally released.
>WW movie shaping up to be blue and lensflarekino

THIS LOOKS FUN GUYS. ..
>>
>>89039705
SO FUN
IT'S JUST GOING TO BE SO FUN
>>
>>89039597
It's not that it's not "fun" it's just that it's so fucking bleak which plays counter to one of the movies primary leads.

Superman isn't bleak, he's full of optimism and hope. He'd come to Batman sternly as he's bringing bad vibes to his city but he'd not come off so unhinged.

The hearing would have been a great setting to show who Superman is. But instead we get a piss joke and the destruction of the captial building and a pretty lackluster response to such an act.

A room full of innocents just died and Superman looks like he just smelled a fart.

I want good DC films. But we're not getting those at all.
>>
>>89039787

So much fun they're gonna have to cram it down our fucking throats!
>>
>>89038522
This is the mentality of a 2-year-old who will be entranced by anything as long as it has pretty colors.

I guess there's truly no mistaking the audience Marvel is shooting for, though.
>>
>>89039817
>The hearing would have been a great setting to show who Superman is.
How? Some kind of belabored speech that reads like a character sketch? I didn't need to hear that. It's pretty apparent that Superman is trying to help. The hearing wasn't about deciding whether or not Superman was good or bad, but how to hold him accountable and make sure he acts in the best interests of people without inciting conflict.

The courtroom scene served to show how unhinged and vindictive Lex was, more than anything. He set off that bomb to fuel Batman's hatred for Superman, to sow distaste for Superman in the public eye, to kill Senator Finch, to cover up his involvement in the Africa affair which she had just learned about, and the fact that he didn't give a shit about his own secretary was icing on the cake. The courtroom scene was not about Superman. It was about Lex.

I agree, a bit of talking from Superman would have served some purpose there, and maybe would have helped the film seem a little more friendly, but ultimately it would have just been fanservice. I don't need Superman to monologue to know what he's about. Actions speak louder than words. Superman's moment of redemption came during the Doomsday fight.
>>
>>89039597
>evryone hates it becuse it's not like the Avengers and it dosen't look colorful
kill yourself

Just because that is the most easily vocalized reason doesn't mean it is the primary reason. Man of Steel was a terrible film. It had a bad script, fucked editing, and boring action.

>people still complain about a lack of fun in BvS
And that the movie made no motherfucking sense, and that it was way too long, and that it was ridiculously brutal, and that it had the worst Lex Luthor anyone had ever seen, etc., etc.

>Suicide Squad
If you legitimately think anyone should like Suicide Squad I wonder how you fucking dress yourself. Squad has the most egregiously terrible editing I've ever seen outside of low-budget VHS'

You know what Marvel has that DC needs? Decent fucking scripts.
>>
File: thermians[1].gif (50KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
thermians[1].gif
50KB, 400x267px
>>89040209
>this entire post
pic related
>Superman's moment of redemption came during the Doomsday fight.
lol wat
>>
File: 1462404379003.jpg (6KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
1462404379003.jpg
6KB, 180x180px
>waiting to decide the tone of a movie during editing
>>
>>89040366
DC keeps pouring money into movies, realizing they fucked up, and then just throwing MORE money at it to fix it while they overlook glaring problems in the next project they're rushing through planning

They've been desperately trying to catch up to Marvel and that attempt to do things too quickly has repeatedly fucked them in the ass

It's also quite clear that no one at DC gives a flying fuck about scripts. Directing sure, editing absolutely, but they couldn't give a monkey fuck about the scripts for these billion dollar movies.
>>
File: Alfred_Pennyworth_TDKR.jpg (44KB, 705x691px) Image search: [Google]
Alfred_Pennyworth_TDKR.jpg
44KB, 705x691px
>>89040209
Instead Superman walks in looking constipated, is ground zero for an enormous piss explosion, and walks out looking even more constipated.

Meanwhile, law enforcement has to stand around and watch him fiddle with the bodies, because the sum total of America's military might couldn't prevent him from so much as walking across the street.
Which puts the entire point of the Senate hearing into question; it's like Congress having a special session to decide whether Uranus can be allowed to continue orbiting the Sun.

Truly a defining moment for the Man of Steel.
>>
>>89040423
>nd then just throwing MORE money at it to fix it

Signs point to them putting out their 2017 stuff and punting to Batman Universe, potentially with Batman #6.

I think WW and JL will finally prove to them that their "superhero creative leads" just don't have the Right Stuff.
>>
File: hot doggin.png (162KB, 437x330px) Image search: [Google]
hot doggin.png
162KB, 437x330px
Are you having fun yet? Hey, are you? Are you?

Fun
>>
IT WILL BE SO FUN YOU'RE GOING TO FEEL DEPRESSED THAT YOUR LIFE CAN'T BE AS FUN AS THIS MOVIE
>>
>>89040345
What's the matter? Still stubbornly refusing to judge the film subjectively?

Yes, Superman's moment of redemption came when, even after being criticized, demonized, and generally seeing the worst humanity had to offer and being made to feel guilty for it, he still gave his life for those people. His death humanized him to the world, and without any need for a stuffy speech, the world now completely understood what Superman stood for.

>>89040455
>the sum total of America's military might couldn't prevent him from so much as walking across the street.
>Which puts the entire point of the Senate hearing into question; it's like Congress having a special session to decide whether Uranus can be allowed to continue orbiting the Sun.
You're missing the extremely obvious point, just like everyone who hates BvS. The government knows Superman means well. They know he is on their side. The problem is that his actions have long-reaching and unforeseen consequences. Superman has been acting completely independently, based on his own judgement, and while his intentions have been for the best, the government understands that everything he does is like ripples on the surface of water. I assume you were also baffled by the meaning of Pa Kent's speech, then.

The fact is, if the government decided that Superman could no longer interfere with any situation before there being a federal/global decision made, then they would tell him so, expecting him to at least consider their decision. Yes, he would not have to listen at all, but for the legal process to just jump to that conclusion and say "well fuck it, let's let him keep acting without being held accountable" is retardation on a gigantic level.
>>
>>89040651
Why do people trying to defend Man of Steel and Batman v Superman defend these strange alternate-universe versions of the movies
>>
File: No.png (41KB, 114x224px) Image search: [Google]
No.png
41KB, 114x224px
>>89040651
>you just don't get it, an entire film's worth of conveyance happened offscreen
headcanon and internal consistency are not proper arguments when talking about problems in works fiction
>>
>>89040725
>>89040757

This is why discussion about these movies never work.
>>
File: 1384395184693.png (270KB, 505x477px) Image search: [Google]
1384395184693.png
270KB, 505x477px
>>89040725
>>89040757
Denial is not only a river in Egypt, it's apparently a pocket dream dimension where everything you are a fanboy of is flawlessly wonderful.
>>
>>89040725
>>89040757
All of this is in the movie, or is so analogous to the themes and events in the movie that it should be easily apparent. Name something I talked about that isn't actually a part of the movie.
>>
>>89040955
>All of this is in the movie
nope
>or is so analogous to the themes and events in the movie that it should be easily apparent
that's not how film works, buck-o

>name something I talked about that isn't actually a part of the movie
The entirety of your fabricated theme revolving around the army's interpretation of Superman's will and impact.
>>
One of the biggest disappointments about this entire endeavor is wasting a solid Batman. Granted the death and destruction left in his wake isnt great, but thats a script problem. Ben really tried with this and it sucks to see him struggle with whats given
>>
>>89041120
He isn't really that good. All the praise is how "he looks like Batman" and "how he fights like Batman". When people are praising the costume over the actor, things aren't going too well.

Ultimately he did nothing that Jon Hamm or Josh Brolin couldn't have.
>>
>>89041186
I suppose thats fair. I guess I was enamored by the fact that we FINALLY got the right blend of realism/comicbooky fiction in a live action Batman. Perhaps under better direction, Ben might have done more.
>>
>>89039597

Yeah anon, it's not because of the omnipresent Lois Lane, or because it's never explained why is Superman traveling through the world (or just america?) on the beginning of the movie, or because Johnatan is killed by a fucking tornado, or because of that boring DBZ-esque fight that lasted for like, 40 minutes only to end with an anti-climatic snapped neck.

No, it was just Avengers fault, amirite?
>>
>>89041071
Except the government and media are constantly discussing it. Almost every scene with senator Finch and the African woman revolve around discussing the conflict that results from Superman's actions. It is the main fucking theme of the conflict between superman and the government. I was going to say the army never explicitly says anything, but the army isn't even a part of the plot. We're only talking about them because that one anon said they couldn't stop Superman if they wanted to, which is irrelevant.
>>
>>89037581
But is it fun?

I don't think he said if it's fun or not in this article.
>>
>>89041489

Yeah, they never once used that word.

Kinda funny, really.
>>
Christ DC...

And when the dust settles not a single lesson will be learned by this movie studio or the rest of the industry they'll just keep looking at everything Disney is doing right and try to emulate it on the most superficial level. Rather than trying to actually understand why something worked they just want to try and find the simplest formula possible to replicate it in a manner which conforms to their preconceptions of how profitable movies are made.

Fox is still making cape movies like they were in the early 00s, utterly embarrassed by the source material. WB first tried to emulate the 00s Vertigo Graphic Novel adaptations/Nolan Batman grimdark aesthetic and are now scrambling desperately to find some other tone for their movies that conforms to their narrow understanding of movie making all the while clumsily chasing the promise of Avengers box office buckeroos. At least Sony was smart enough to just fucking team up with Marvel/Disney, which is odd considering they're arguably the most backwards retarded of the big four cape studios.
>>
>>89037764
But Beyond was the best NuTrek movie by far
>>
>>89037862
They haven't earned respect yet, if the movie turns out good, people will react accordingly.

But until then, they've made 3 horrible stinkers, and they'll be mocked accordingly.
>>
>>89037581
God, I am hyped for Aquaman.

JL will probably be shit though.
>>
>>89042593
His theme song will be Kid Rock's "American Bad-Ass"
>>
>>89042654
Fuck you.

I hope they really do give him a memorable, adventurous-sounding theme though. Something that were genuinely cool.

Calling it now: Aquaman will be the first genuinely good movie of the DCEU.
>>
>>89042593
For me Aquaman looks too tryhard. Not to mention hes probably more "fuck land dwellers" rather than "king pulled between two worlds" kind of thing unfortunately
>>
>>89037628
They won't know. They probably think the Justice League is in Marvel. I will welcome the normies with open arms, as I put my faith in Snyder and his ability to make stealth kino.
>>
>>89042724
Snyder's Aquaman, probably.

Wan's Aquaman won't be so tryhard. I hope.
>>
>>89037862
Every movie they have released has been good. People will hate it no matter what. It's like the meme where you rate all women as "0/10 would not bang" and find reasons to do it after the fact.
>>
>>89042774
But thats the thing anon, Wan has to build off of whatever Snyder establishes
>>
>>89042776
>Every movie they have released has been good.

Not according to the public and the critic.
>>
>>89038626
>if a movie gets shat on that means it isn't good
I guess Hunchback of Notre Dame was a big fat mistake then and Age of Ultron was a masterpiece.
>>
>>89042796
David Ayer didn't build off of THAT much of what Snyder established.
>>
>>89042825
Who cares what they say? It's good and you can tell by evaluating the movies based on their own merits.
>>
>>89042867
Yeah because it didnt need to, all that needed was Supermans death and Batman searching for other League members to remain connected. Aquaman however is being established, as well as Atlantis, Mera, and Vulko. Hes a prominent part of JL and Wan will have to be slave to whatever occurs in it sadly
>>
>>89042933
Then why even come onto this image board to talk about it if you're content to live in your own little self-contained fantasy land?
>>
>>89042724
>Not to mention hes probably more "fuck land dwellers" rather than "king pulled between two worlds" kind of thing unfortunately
Right. Because they just made him Namor.
>>
>>89040725
Why do people trying to attack Man of Steel and Batman v Superman attack these strange alternate-universe versions of the movies?
>>
>>89042832
>I guess Hunchback of Notre Dame was a big fat mistake
Correct
>Age of Ultron was a masterpiece
Age of Ultron gets the shit it deserves to get.
>>
>>89043078
Im actually more mad about this now. All they literally had to do, was look at New52 Johns Aquaman
>>
>>89037602
Every fucking interview it's funfunfun. Snyder fucked things up beyond parody.
>>
>>89043114
>Age of Ultron gets the shit it deserves to get.
Not by critics so you're not allowed to disagree. Sorry, critics are always right.
>>
>>89042724
>>89043078
>>89043122

How is Aquaman all "fuck the land dwellers" when in the trailer he was bring fish to a small coast town?
>>
>>89037581
>It’s going to be fun, it’s going to be really fun.
It's confirmed trash, those are not the words of someone that believes they have a good movie.
But then again they've all been trash.
>>
>>89042832
Hunchback of Notre Dame was mediocre/bad and one of the movies at the start of Disney's downturn in Animated movie quality in the late 90s, just because you were 7 when it came out doesn't mean it was great.

Age of Ultron had a fairly lukewarm reception with alot of moviegoers not sure how to feel about it. It wasn't lauded as a masterpiece by anyone and is the reason Joss Whedon is no longer an active part of the MCU. Sure it was a financially successful, but so was BvS.

>>89043142
Critics gave it a much lower score than most other MCU films and panned it deservingly.
>>
>>89043147
He grew up there. Soft spot.
>>
>>89043142
Then why is its critic scores so damn low?
>>
>>89043147
A lot of reports claim Arthur is reluctant to help anyone outside of Atlantis, save that fishing village, and is a general dick to everyone because hes royalty. He denies the invitation to the League, and only gets involved because Atlantis is threatened by Steppenwolf
>>
>>89043217

Oh, okay then. Carry on.
>>
>>89043142
I get the feeling you're using sarcasm, but I don't understand what point you're trying to make.
>>
>>89043149
Similar to how saying "It's a great Summer movie" is tantamount to saying "It sucks, but there's action in it."
>>
>>89040309
>and boring action.
No
>>89040309
>And that the movie made no motherfucking sense
3 guy don't trust each other and the third set up the fight for the other two a woman want to keep herself a secret sees potential and getting out of retirement and helps.
>If you legitimately think anyone should like Suicide Squad I wonder how you fucking dress yourself.
wonky script, but a fun movie.
>>
>>89043272
> Fun movie
> Fun

there's that word again.
>>
>>89040955
They're just shitposting. Looking at the lack of content in their posts, they might not have even watched it desu. Just let the cape movie threads be the /tv/ and shitposting containment threads they are.
>>
I still say Warner Brothers should accept their losses and see how much money they can put these characters in the wringer then actually care about the critics.

They will never reach Disney's success so may as well exploit the brand as much as possible.
>>
>>89043272
> a fun movie

I like how "fun" has just become a euphemism for "bad"
>>
Anyone else wish that they could just fix this shit themselves?
>>
>>89037628
Yeah, when you're spending more than twice as much money on a single production than anybody in LA actually makes in a year - think about how much that is - and you're planning dozens of these projects, all inextricably linked together, you bet your sad little ass they want the Marvel audience.

They're not going to make DC movies for DC Comics readers. That's like fuckin' 25% of the comics readers total, if we're generous and say all comics ordered by retailers actually sell, which they don't. It's probably something like 85 million floppies annually on a good year, which if, say, every reader buys an average 1 title per week, amounts to between 6.5 and 7.5 million readers; but if the average is 2 titles per week, obviously that falls by half - and if there are plenty of casual readers who only come in for one book and then never come back, then there's an unknowable number of regular readers.

But the truth is there's probably a relatively high average spend - something amounting to 2+ titles per week per customer, because some customers, in very small numbers, buy the whole line - it only takes one or two of them to start seriously skewing the sales figures, but they don't increase the number of readers at all, and that's the problem with making movies for comic book readers: there's too few of them.

Say there's really 8 million readers. That's 8 million average movie tickets, assuming they all go to see a comic book movie just because it's based on a comic book (which isn't true, but assume it). About $64 million dollars - maybe as high as $100 million, if it's 3D IMAX bullshit prices and they all go exclusively on weekends.

A lot of money, but nowhere near enough to justify the budget that a 2 or 3 hour long 3D IMAX craptacular demands.

Say there's really 4 million. Half the money (those seeing it more than once are just averaging out those who don't go at all).

If average DC guy buys 16 books/month- you're looking at maybe 28,000 individuals.
>>
>>89043545
Comic fans arent always the best advisers, because tastes vary and most know jack shit about actual film making. That said, some additional input couldnt hurt, because WB certainly doesnt know what the fuck theyre doing. Most would say have Dini/Timm take a crack at it
>>
>>89043626

>Most would say have Dini/Timm take a crack at it

Comic fags, or at least /co/, hate Bruce Timm now.
>>
>>89037581
>"It’s going to be fun, it’s going to be really fun
That's a shame, I wanted horror.

But I can settle for horror comedy
>>
>>89043661
Timm is fine, you just need someone to rein in his occasional autism. Pair him with someone like Azz, who rarely gives a fuck, and you get Babs fucking Bruce like in TKJ
>>
>>89037628
Okay real talk. Why wouldn't they want the marvel audience?
Console war bullshit is at the consumer level. Why would the guys running this bitch go "Hey you know those millions of people with money to spend? Fuck those guys!" Do you really expect us to think they're going "Oh those guys wear RED shirts. Their money is no good here!"
>>
File: 1325691438160.jpg (84KB, 901x721px) Image search: [Google]
1325691438160.jpg
84KB, 901x721px
>>89043545
What would you do? You've given full control with unlimited budget. Go!
>>
>>89039597
Look the problem isn't a lack of color or jokes.
The problem is that Snyder is going "Does the world REALLY need Superman" and you guys are throwing a tantrum when audiences look at the arguments the man puts forth and goes "No. We don't need this".

I'm fucking tired of this passion play; watching the very nominal hero suffer and die for five hours does not endear him to me
>>
>>89043661
You guys really going to hate the guy who helped make the DCAU because of one retarded ship?
>>
>>89040651
>His death humanized him to the world
Lionized, vindicated, deified, all those are true. Humanized? No.

Also do you really not see how fucked up that the only way they could think of to make the character even a little likable is to stab him in the heart?
>>
>>89043883

Most of /co/ also hate the DCAU, though.
>>
>>89043804
>What would you do? You've given full control with unlimited budget. Go!
Unlimited budget = we just reboot everything.

The whole point is we DON'T have unlimited budget. To easy otherwise.
>>
>>89043917
You sure you're not thinking of the DC Animated movies that have been recently been cranked out? Because thats something different entirely
>>
>>89043905
>Humanized? No.
Especially since Clark Kent the Man died too, and not likely to ever come back.
>>
>>89042933
I mean maybe if you're retarded
>>
>>89043939

Nah, most threads you see people shitting on the DCAU cartoons. Specially when it comes to character portrayals.
>>
>>89043804
It's simple - Don't make Man Of Steel your Cinematic Universe Foundation. Every single issue that has plagued BvS stems from MoS. It should be an interesting standalone that is only tangentially related to the Justice League - make Superman hazily reference how, when he first started out Superheroing, he made a lot of mistakes that he had to overcome to win the public's support, but he won it over in the end.
>>
>>89043935
>more origin stories
NO! Not even with unlimited budget would I want this.
>>
>>89043917
The fuck? Just because you read one thread with a troll in it doesn't make 'most of /co/'
>>
>>89037862
Personally I'm not shitting on them for it. It's just a case of too little too late. Sort of like:
>Take a look at this faggot finally doing what I told him to do from the beginning. What happened to all those great ideas you had that were so different than what I was telling you to do, faggot? Oh, they blew up in your face, didn't they, faggot? That's right. You better hang your faggot head. Now go do what I told you to do, and try not to fuck it up, alright? Seriously though, you know I love you so I hope this works out better for you.
>>
>>89043804
First thing I do is no more origin stories.
Instead, I do origin short films attached at the start of prior or other films. Go to see Fantastic Beasts 2? Get there early, because there's an 8 minute short detailing Flash's origins. That way I sell two things at once.
>>
>>89044124
>NO! Not even with unlimited budget would I want this.
No, I am not saying we need origin stories. We need each Superheo to get one film being what they are. They don't need an origin, they just need one movie on their own with a minor villain, and portraying what their "normal" life is like. Then you can have them meet each other.
>>
>>89043804
>unlimited budget
>Scrap JL
>Don't completely fire Snyder, move him to strictly cinematography
>Get Miller or Abrams to direct like rumored, with suggestions from Ben
>WW keeps it's course, but replace the skeleton
>Aquaman keeps it's course
>Ben gets more control for The Batman with maybe a few suggestions from Grant Morrison.

But then again, >>89043626
>>
File: download.jpg (8KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 200x200px
>>89038799
>>
>>89044216
That's a terrible idea.
>>
>>89038867
>it was already too late
And yet, the cost of shutting down preproduction probably would have been significantly less than the difference between what JL will get at the BO vs what WB hoped it'd get when they greenlit the thing.
>>
>>89044458
Except it works. I saw I am Legend in Imax specifically because it had the first 10 minutes of The Dark Knight attached. People bought tickets to Cinderella and then left once Frozen Fever was over.
>>
>>89038799
>>89044457
Evil Dead 2
Raging Bull
Caddyshack
The Shining
Heaven's Gate

Just to list popular examples
>>
>>89044674
Okay. Not ALWAYS always. Just always about the DCEU. That's what I inferred from >>89038799
You may proceed with telling me how I was wrong to do so, because I'm sure it's coming.
>>
>>89044674
>Heaven's Gate
That movie is still shit, especially compared to Deer Hunter.

You've missed out The Thing and Blade Runner.
>>
>>89044674
you could've went with The Thing
>>
>>89044563
>Except it works. I saw I am Legend in Imax specifically because it had the first 10 minutes of The Dark Knight attached. People bought tickets to Cinderella and then left once Frozen Fever was over.
That only works if people WANTED to see it. i.e. You were always going to see TRK, and Frozen fans were always going to see anything Frozen related.

The problem is, if you think people actually want to watch Hero origin films, then what's the point of asking them to pay a full price ticket for 10 minute s worth? You might as well just make the damn Origin film.

Hell, Marvel does something else instead, they release a canon comic prequel.

The issue is if you don't want origin films, you don't need it. Especially for DC major characters. But you still NEED a film to establish their world. Batman having Robin died in the hands of the Joker is NOT a minor event, it should have been an entire film in itself and not being relegated to barely implied back story.
>>
>>89042325
Do you think it's just possible that no one at WB ever thinks
>How about we make a movie that leaves the audience walking out of the theater wishing they could live in a world that had superheroes like the ones they just watched and not grateful that they live in a world where they don't?
because oh boy. Marvel movies have ups and downs, but it'd be cool living in that world. That of the DCEU? Not so much.
>>
>"Lovecraftian themes"

>IT'S FUN GUYS!

So much for that movie
>>
>>89043545
I just wish they'd nuke it, and issue a press release thanking those who worked on the DCEU, acknowledging that fans have not been as receptive to it as they hoped, and vowing to suspend all films that haven't begun filming, while spending the next 5 years developing a macro plan for a universe they hope fans can be more satisfied with.
>>
File: 1247663137003.png (495KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
1247663137003.png
495KB, 550x550px
>>89043917
>>89043965
>>
>>89044674
>MoS
>BvS
>SS

They were right
>>
>>89044866
>Director quotes Lovecraftian about the ocean being mysterious and shit on twitter
>"THEY'RE GOING FULL CTULHU, GUYS"

You only have yourself to blame.
>>
>>89037862
It's more these interviews sound like they're just regurgitating whatever talking points the studio publicists fed them
>>
>>89037862
Because the haven't proven to handle either.

>When the ddid dark it ended as a depressing borefest that nobody likes.
>Rather than plan something Fun from the start they cracked Suicide Squad apart mid-development to cram Fun in it.

It's like they say it's fun but they don't understand the concept of "Fun".
>>
>>89045074
That was such a fun thread though...
>>
>>89044840
The only DC character that can really afford skipping an origin movie at this day and age are Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. Everyone else in on the same level of audience awareness as guys like Iron Man or Captain America over at Marvel.

People know their names and have a vague notion of what they look like and what their powers are, but are completely oblivious to what makes them tick as individuals.
>>
>>89044840
I don't disagree, but you seem to be conflating world building with origins and those aren't the same. Yes, we need to see Robin die if that's going to be a cornerstone of Batman's character in the movie. But we sure as fuck don't need to spend 15 minutes on the Waynes getting shot, just like we didn't need 30 minutes on Krypton in Man of Steel.
>>
>>89045132

Nobody knows who Wonder Woman is or what she's about other than she's a woman, have powers and spin around.
>>
File: PerhapsPeterGriffin.jpg (14KB, 310x283px) Image search: [Google]
PerhapsPeterGriffin.jpg
14KB, 310x283px
>>89045129
>>
>>89045132
>The only DC character that can really afford skipping an origin movie at this day and age are Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.
Superman has one and WW is getting one. But I still think it was a grave mistaken that Batman of all people got his fall from grace happen offscreen.
>>
>>89045165
It started with us talking about Aquaman being full Cthulu, before it devolved into a horrors of the deep thread. As is always the case, the threads that eventually become non-related to the board they are on end up being some of the best on 4chan.
>>
>Will Beall

>Sole writing credits are THE GANGSTER SQUAD and a bunch of CASTLE episodes

>Allegedly wrote a JUSTICE LEAGUE script in 2011 so bad no director would touch it, including Ben Affleck.

WORRY.jpg
>>
>>89042325
>And when the dust settles not a single lesson will be learned by this movie studio or the rest of the industry they'll just keep looking at everything Disney is doing right and try to emulate it on the most superficial level. Rather than trying to actually understand why something worked they just want to try and find the simplest formula possible to replicate it in a manner which conforms to their preconceptions of how profitable movies are made.

This so much. How is it possible that they cannot understand that they have to analyze the success before replicating it? You cannot be the next MU overnight.
>>
>>89037862

Perhaps they should try

>make a good movir
>>
>>89043883
You forget how vengeful /co/ can be. Specially with a darling like The Killing Joke.
>>
>>89043735

The Marvel audience is the pleb blockbuster audience. Of course other pleb blockbusters want that audience.
>>
>>89043735
>Okay real talk. Why wouldn't they want the marvel audience?
>Console war bullshit is at the consumer level. Why would the guys running this bitch go "Hey you know those millions of people with money to spend? Fuck those guys!" Do you really expect us to think they're going "Oh those guys wear RED shirts. Their money is no good here!"
It's just what happens when something ended up catering to a very specific audience.

Let's face it, Snyder loved what he makes. And that means there is really a group of people who genuinely share his tastes and feel that his films are great. These people aren't crazy, they just are on the same wavelength as the creator.

However, being devoted fans just aren't enough if we are talking about expensive blockbusters. The conflict comes when the people who defend Snyder, have the most to lose if his films got changed to have wider appeal. Keeping Snyder fans happy is basically counter to Warner's goal to make lots and lots of money.
>>
BvS was way too smart for the comic book crowd. Gotta dumb everything down like Marvel does.
>>
>>89045767
>BvS was way too smart for the comic book crowd. Gotta dumb everything down like Marvel does.
See, that's what I am talking about. Snyder defenders are actually WANTING Warner to fail. The fans of BvS simply don't care if the films are able to keep Warner shareholders happy.

Snyder fans are devote, but they are NOT devote to Warner. Warner's goals are not the same as what BvS defenders desire. This is a case of grass roots vs the studio.
>>
>>89045864
I want a good movie. Why would any movie goer care about corporate profits? Snyder is far beyond anyone else currently making superhero movies. BvS was excellent, expanding on established heroes in a manner that made them interesting to spectate and interact.

Don't tell me the BvS reviews weren't fishy as fuck while cinematic abominations like Civil War was getting praise all over the place. WB needs to fix its marketing. Snyder is doing his job - making good movies. It's the marketing that completely fails and allows itself to be swollen whole by Disney.
>>
File: 1450294868430.jpg (93KB, 790x1053px) Image search: [Google]
1450294868430.jpg
93KB, 790x1053px
>>89037862

That is because a bad dark movie and a bad fun movie are still both bad. DC needs to prioritize making movies that aren't total dogshit first and foremost.
>>
>>89046024
Yeah should make masterpieces like Civil War and Dr Strange right :)
>>
>>89043545
Fuck no. If I want to salvage a turd I'd rather head the EU.
>>
>>89045767
Maybe smart in a "I just entered middle school and I'm so misunderstood all these idiot sheeple around me should be culled to improve the world" kind of way.
>>
>>89045983
I honestly don't know whether to pity or envy delusion like this.

On the one hand you're totally disconnected with reality, but on the other it might be kind of nice to genuinely believe anything I was a fanboy of was flawless and everyone else was wrong. A far less disappointing way to live.
>>
File: 1289185518138.jpg (31KB, 363x310px) Image search: [Google]
1289185518138.jpg
31KB, 363x310px
>>89043917
>Most of /co/ also hate the DCAU, though.
>>
>>89046122
Smart in a way that hey this movie actually employs the actual strengths of the visual medium to tell a fairly bold story instead of Marvel's endless Iron Man rehashes with different superhero. Boy I loved Dr Strange's TV-like sets and a script that made an episode of Teletubbies seem intellectual in comparison.

BvS's biggest crime was expecting the best in its audience.
>>
Why are all of you guys a bunch of stubborn fucking uptight assholes about the DCEU?
>>
>>89046235
I'm not.

I just don't care about it.
>>
>>89046269
Cares enough to shitpost endlessly about it until your shittery gets called out.
>>
>>89046214
Yeah it was really deep when all those philosophical questions about the use of power were thrown at at the end so Wonder Woman could show up out of nowhere and they all punched Doomsday together. Really made me think.
>>
>>89046069
No just good films that understand the characters.

Not whatever slow motion train wreck Snyder keeps going on with.
>>
>>89046235
Because it's hilariously awful and it's fun to laugh at the stunning incompetence?

How could you not?
>>
>>89046307
I haven't shitposted in this entire thread. Stop assuming you're replying to the same people.
>>
>>89046331
>Because it's hilariously awful and it's fun to laugh at the stunning incompetence?
Sony?
>>
>>89046324
Civil War was fucking trash with boring conflict and shitty CGI airport fight that didn't hurt anyone and then there's Dr Strange which is basically Iron Man with shittier quips.

Stay pleb.
>>
>>89046357
I mean I laugh at those too, so yeah.

But Sony finally admitted they were retards and became Marvel's cuck so they're not really at the reigns anymore
>>
>>89046311

Nothing was thrown out, though.
>>
>>89045983
>I want a good movie. Why would any movie goer care about corporate profits? Snyder is far beyond anyone else currently making superhero movies. BvS was excellent, expanding on established heroes in a manner that made them interesting to spectate and interact.
Look, there is clearly an audience for Snyder movies. I am not saying Snyder should be unemployed. However, Snyder's films work best when they only got 65million dollars to spend, like with 300. His films are not meant for broad audiences, and as soon as you give Snyder 200million+ for a film, it just isn't viable anymore.

If you don't want blockbusters, fine. But that requires that your budget shrink back down to below 75million. That's the price for art-house stuff.
>>
>>89046425
You know saying pleb unironically still makes you a faggot, regardless of your opinion right?
>>
>>89037602
War
Never been so much fun
War
Never been so much fun
Go up to your brother
Kill him with your gun
Leave him lying in his uniform
Dying in the sun

>>89042421
And almost no one watched it because the last one was a clusterfuck that rushed into something beloved by the fandom and made people distrust the franchise.
>>
>>89037581
he didn't writer Justice League you fucking idiot
>>
>>89037912
but BvS and MoS are good movies
>>
>>89042325
>>89044853
>>89045224
you guys obviously are gigantic plebs if a movie is only good if it "makes you want to live in that world." I mean these are ridiculously superficial complaints to have about a movie, and none of you actually talk about WHY you think BvS or MoS are bad you just keep saying BECAUSE CRITICS or just say PACING AND STORY without actually explaining why its bad.
Also you if you think they were unfaithful to Superman, by making a Superman who is constantly struggling with how to do the most possible good, then you are gigantic plebs.
>>
>>89047762
>Also you if you think they were unfaithful to Superman, by making a Superman who is constantly struggling with how to do the most possible good, then you are gigantic plebs.
You can shout "Pleb!" all you want. But being a film that only a small number of people liked is a financial problem for a 200+ million dollar movie.
>>
>>89040209
>It's pretty apparent that Superman is trying to help. The hearing wasn't about deciding whether or not Superman was good or bad, but how to hold him accountable and make sure he acts in the best interests of people without inciting conflict.

>Superman walks into the building for the hearing
>It explodes and many die
>Superman just goes "uhhhh" and flys away, never to be heard from again until Doomsday smashes up the city more
>>
>>89047727
LOL good one anon, you almost had me
>>
>>89043804
make a trilogy of man of steel and trilogy of the amazon princess all in their universes like the dark knight trilogy. then make justice league movie followed by forever evil then end everything with kingdom come.
>>
File: 19091480._SX540_.jpg (107KB, 540x416px) Image search: [Google]
19091480._SX540_.jpg
107KB, 540x416px
>>89037581
Any of you guys remember when Aquaman was being promoted through a Lovecraft quote? Why the fuck would I even bother watching a James Wan movie that isn't horror? If they wanted "FUN" they should have hired Whedon and then I could ignore it all the same.

>>89043141
>snyder
>implying it wasn't the market and critics constantly complaining about how the films were too dark and how every cape movie needs to be "FUN"
>>
Reminder the Snyder's production company is literally called Cruel and Unusual Films.

FUN
>>
>>89037950
>>89038010
I liked Into Darkness but now I'm questioning myself, am I just a retard?
>>
>>89039659
I'm not sure how it is that WB has become so dependent on fucking "Cruel and Unusual Films" of all things.
>>
>>89039705
>THIS LOOKS FUN GUYS. ..
My guess is that they'll keep that boringly bleak imagery and style, and just cram a bunch of jokes in there. Can't fucking wait.
>>
File: forty k.png (111KB, 292x257px) Image search: [Google]
forty k.png
111KB, 292x257px
>>89040455
I think "Enormous piss explosion" is actually a good term for the DCEU
>>
File: jimfaec.jpg (92KB, 435x435px) Image search: [Google]
jimfaec.jpg
92KB, 435x435px
>>89051545
>Zack Snyder literally makes Cruel and Unusual Films
Welp, can't argue there.
>>
>>89049429
>P-P-People just hate the DCEU because it's too dark, th-that's all!

Strangly enough, that's the same line of thinking WB execs had when butchering SS.
>>
So how BIG of a disaster is JL going to be?

Will it go down as a legendary bomb? Something like The Adventures of Pluto Nash?
>>
>>89052169
>So how BIG of a disaster is JL going to be?
It depends on Wonder Woman and how bad that goes.

If WW did okay, then JL would only be moderately bad. If WW fall flat on its face, then Warner would panic AGAIN, and who know what the suits would demand in terms of cuts and edits for JL?
>>
>>89052251
Wonder Woman comes out in June, Justice League comes out in November. So they'd have five months to do... something.
>>
>>89052299
>Wonder Woman comes out in June, Justice League comes out in November. So they'd have five months to do... something.
See, the thing about films, is that editing is done all the way to the final month of release. This is due to CGI needing rendering all the way to that point. Also, it is normal to have footage that is twice as long if not longer than the film itself. So if Warner suits want to fuck with JL they could still do it after WW comes out. The editing room can do a surprising amount of damage.
>>
>“I think Justice League again is, what you’re going to see — I hope I’m not going to get in trouble for saying this — but it’s much more fun, much poppier, than … I haven’t seen Wonder Woman yet, but Batman vs Superman was a little more somber. But Justice League is a lot more fun. And I think that feels to me like the direction those movies are heading now."
So we're gonna have a lot more "I thought she was with you" moments? I'm cool with this.
>>
>>89052792
>being cool with Justice League becoming a quipfest

Capekino, we hardly knew ye.
>>
>>89053505
The thing is that it just won't feel right.

Even when there are quips in the MCU, it feels natural, because there are so many characters in that universe that have been established as quick-witted. Tony, Rhodey, Fury, Clint, Loki, etc. It doesn't feel quite so jarring to hear quips from them because we've grown to expect them. On the other hand, it definitely feels jarring to hear quips from Steve, because he's established as a much more somber, self-serious character.

Contrast that with the DC movies. Can you really picture Snyder's Superman and Batman quipping? Of course you can't, because that's not how their characters have been established. It's going to be like hearing Gandalf from the LOTR movies making poop jokes.
>>
>>89053786
Or Darth Vader making puns...
>>
>>89037862
I think you mean
>Make shit movie
>>
>>89043905

Yeah, why couldn't he just save a cat from a tree, that's how you make a suspicious world love you. It works in comics and cartoons!
>>
>>89054124
>Yeah, why couldn't he just save a cat from a tree, that's how you make a suspicious world love you. It works in comics and cartoons!
Superman doesn't trust humans, so why should humans trust him? Clark spent most of his youth thinking humans are not worthy of knowing him. It is insulting.
>>
>>89037581
Fun, huh? Part of me feels hopeful that maybe they've learned their lesson.
And yet, from the trailers, I don't think they have.
>>
>>89043626
>Most would say have Dini/Timm take a crack at it

And these people willfully ignore all the shit that either of them have done that weren't any good at all.
>>
>>89049429
People only reacted like that though because their movies were anything but.
>>
>>89038743
His wife said they can't, he's such a cuddly-wuddly.
>>
>>89043819
>The problem is that Snyder is going "Does the world REALLY need Superman"

That's not what he's asking. Snyder's direction for these movies is "how would the world react to the rise of superhuman beings?" That's why Superman's appearance turns into this giant geopolitical conundrum where the world can't decide between loving or fearing him because they struggle to understand him as a concept. Meanwhile at Gotham Batman is just a boogieman vigilante, almost a urban legend, that nobody really gives a shit because it's a guy beating up criminals on a very small scale and doesn't ever show himself in public.
>>
File: 1483357373988.jpg (210KB, 946x882px) Image search: [Google]
1483357373988.jpg
210KB, 946x882px
>>89054938
>tfw you'll never have such powerful nepotism that after creating failure after failure you'll stay filthy rich and never get fired
>>
>>89041186
>>89041286
They just looked at the Arkham games and lifted the combat from there.
This works perfectly.
>>
>>89042724
>>89043078
>Aquaman is Namor
Well fuck it, I might go see it.
>>
>>89051865
My main issue with Into Darkness was that it was essentially a remake of Wrath of Khan(a significantly better film despite being so much older) but it constantly tried to convince us it wasn't a remake of that movie even before it was out despite straight up having scenes from Wrath of Khan with character roles reversed/minor differences.

And pulling an "She's not Talia. She's an original character" with Khan didn't help and was as stupid then as it was with TDKR. Fans aren't fucking stupid and I wish directors like Abrams and Nolan and WB and Paramount would stop acting like they are. No one ever goes for these fake outs and if they would they wouldn't be so quick to guess who the characters are supposed to be based next to no information. Playing this game heavily detracted from both films especially considering literally no one who actually would have cared was fooled.
>>
Why making movies with complex and realistic characters when you can make everyone quipping and witting at every scene.
I know comics are supposedly to be corny but damn, a different medium would imply a different take, the tone in BvS was fine, it wasn't the problem
>>
>>89057490
yes it was

they're superheroes in goofy costumes! they shouldn't be serious or dark
>>
>>89049429
>Why the fuck would I even bother watching a James Wan movie that isn't horror?

What is Furious 7?
>>
>>89057490
>the tone in BvS was fine, it wasn't the problem
See, you are free to make Watchman films, but if you are going to do that then you don't get a Justice League, you end up with the Crime Syndicate. BvS isn't different from the comics, BvS simply took the elseworld path that Earth 3 took.
>>
>>89054994
>Snyder's direction for these movies is "how would the world react to the rise of superhuman beings?"
>he world can't decide between loving or fearing him
Then if I may ask, why is it we almost exclusively see Superman portrayed in a negative light, and almost never actually loved?

BvS had monuments and things raised in Superman's honour, supposedly out of love, respect, and him being adored. But it's never addressed, and the movie never even devotes a single shot to any fans actually adoring him.
Even during the little montage of Superman actually saving people, it's portrayed in a way that makes it seem like Superman is suffering and with a heavy burden to bear. All while it's voiced over by media discussion that just keeps hammering down what a potential threat he is and how dangerous he is and how he can't be trusted. Even the people he saves in the montage either look concerned, or far gone to the point of being able to be mistaken as deranged cultists, mentally damaged from their fixation of him.

During the scene at the senate that goes up in flames from the bomb, there were angry mobs outside. Supposedly a somewhat even distribution of pro and anti Superman rallies.
But as they pan from the right to the left we see nothing but Superman haters for about the full panning shot, until the very end of the shot where we see only a little more than half a Superman supporter. And that's the most we see of an actual Superman fan supporting Superman throughout the entirety of the movie, not counting Lois.

He is so fucking shit at dealing with contrasts that you can barely even pose simple premises like "the world can't decide between loving or fearing him" or questions like whether or not they should. Because it all blends together when the presentation lacks contrast to that degree.
>>
>>89057596
Which is pretty damn ridiculous really, considering the concept of the movie above all. Even at a superficial level. It was a fucking Batman vs Superman movie. There is your contrast right there. It was never a Batman vs Batman movie or a Superman vs Superman movie. They're meant to be different. And even if they were meant to be, you're actually meant to sell/convey the differences in the movie itself.
Instead of them are just both portrayed as huge fucking potential problems, with barely anything being focused on either of them really doing any good. Even if it's about 80% hating on Superman and about 20% hating on Batman. There's almost no love for either of them in the entire movie. Even disregarding how they're barely portrayed any differently from each other to begin with. It's ridiculous.

The movie really is pretty damn bad. The above also happens to be really basic stuff the movie got wrong, even if it's some pretty major flaws since they're flaws pertaining to the core of the movie's very concept.
>>
>>89057596
>Then if I may ask, why is it we almost exclusively see Superman portrayed in a negative light, and almost never actually loved?

Because the narrative is intertwined with Batman's POV of Superman. It's used to justify Batman's deranged quest to kill Superman in the narrative. You see the pieces that shown that people do appreciate and cheer Superman, but it's blurred and sideline since it doesn't with with the propaganda against Superman. The movie ends with the world celebrating Superman through his hero soldier funeral, after all. BvS is basically a painful process of humanity getting over their fears and learning to trust a benevolent alien being only when it's sort of too late, and he's dead. Too often we tend to only appreciate something after it's already gone.
>>
>>89057655
>. The movie ends with the world celebrating Superman through his hero soldier funeral, after all. BvS is basically a painful process of humanity getting over their fears and learning to trust a benevolent alien being only when it's sort of too late, and he's dead. Too often we tend to only appreciate something after it's already gone.
That is only because Superman refused to trust the human race until it was too late, when Zod showed up. He was to blame. Superman is the one who don't trust humans, not the other way around.
>>
>>89057655
>You see the pieces that shown that people do appreciate and cheer Superman, but it's blurred and sideline since it doesn't with with the propaganda against Superman.
First off, only barely. Secondly, that's pretty much the full duration of the entire movie.

As mentioned before. It does a fucking piss poor job at establishing contrasts.
Like fuck. Even if you want to focus on the propaganda against Superman, at the very least establish both sides before you do. Don't just throw it to the side with one or two throwaway lines while hand-waiving the rest.
>>
>>89057696

You act like it's somehow just self-evident from the word go that you're meant to put on a blue and red costume with a cape and be a superhero once you learn you came from a Planet called Krypton. And if Superman didn't trust humanity, why would he allow Lois to know his secret? Or tell Batman to save his mother? Stop projecting your head canon version of what Superman is and complaining when the movie doesn't agree with that. MoS was an adaptation. It changes things and trying to portray humanity in a way where we aren't enamored by a man in a red cape immediately is a valid way to explore Superman as a concept.
>>
I like James Wan. He could pull it off
>>
>>89057761

Why does it have to be a 50/50 split? We don't need to contrast it because Superman is already a world wide pop culture icon and we know what he is like.
>>
>>89057800
People said the same about the director for Suicide Squad.
>>
File: 4055231-the+crime+syndicate.jpg (101KB, 636x551px) Image search: [Google]
4055231-the+crime+syndicate.jpg
101KB, 636x551px
>>89057787
>. It changes things and trying to portray humanity in a way where we aren't enamored by a man in a red cape immediately is a valid way to explore Superman as a concept.
Your "exploration" isn't new. Comics did that already. We got Owl Man, Superwoman, and Ultraman as a result.
>>
>>89037581
>‘Justice League’ Writer Will Beall

Well Terrio needs all the help he can get after Martha.

Like Goyer needed all the help he could get after Maybe.
>>
>>89057836
Wan's been working on his film far longer than Ayer

Aquaman is like Ant-Man in that the guy has wanted to do it for some time, not a response like SS was to GOTG.
>>
>>89057836
I don't think Wan's gonna be the issue. Whatever he presents, WB are gonna chop it up and fuck it
>>
>>89057822
>Why does it have to be a 50/50 split?
If you actually read my post you'd know that wasn't what I claimed.

>>89057761
>Even if you want to focus on the propaganda against Superman, at the very least establish both sides before you do.
Anything good, of either party really, is so poorly established that it really fails to convey any real conflict to begin with. Just frustrated and upset people. It's bad. It's weak.
>>
>>89037581
>fun
I want a good film fun or somber. because a good film = fun. like TDK was fun.
>>
>>89058107
no it wasn't it was overrated and people only liked it because some talentless actor died
>>
>>89058121
well, I had fun watching it.
>>
>>89058121
It was a clumsy movie with a terrible third act and inconsistent narrative that did enough things and scenes right that the audience was left with a great deal of satisfaction after watching it. For all it's faults it does one of the better jobs of capturing what people like about Batman.
>>
>>89057508
Then keep watching the same super heroes flicks every year.

>>89057577
Not at all
>>
File: PHuzdFjPe1evxy_1_l.jpg (107KB, 724x940px) Image search: [Google]
PHuzdFjPe1evxy_1_l.jpg
107KB, 724x940px
I remember when people legit thought this was Bizzaro. Says a lot of of the Snyder verse.
>>
>>89058702
>Me am Bizarro! Me am kiss Lois in ruins of Metropolis!
>>
>>89058426
I will and so will everyone else since they keep making billions of dollars

Meanwhile you can appreciate your "kino" from the safety of your mom's basement
>>
>>89057655
You can do both though. You can show Batman's outlook but he doesn't have to be the sole arbiter of the depiction. Hell given how much damn screen time she takes up we could've gotten the all loving charming hero Superman from Lois's point of view

And tying the acceptance of Superman to his death carres the unfortunate implication that it's less a "we miss him now that he's gone and see he was really good" and more "whew. glad we dodged that bullet. Bring on the home grown heroes for Justice League"
>>
>>89057787
>You act like it's somehow just self-evident from the word go that you're meant to put on a blue and red costume with a cape and be a superhero once you learn you came from a Planet called Krypton.
That's pretty much exactly what happened though. As soon as Clark puts on the red and blue suit in Man of Steel he suddenly knows ho to fly instinctively, and he was already going around saving people. What they really needed to do to fix a lot of the issues was add an additional feat of heroism in between the flight scene and Zod showing up.
>>
>>89057822
Then why, when people go "wait isn't superman like this" do you guys keep going "no this is a new take with new rules and a new perspective not muh superman"

Iconic status is a two way street. If you want to benefit from it you also have to be beholden to it.
>>
>>89043804
Put Bruce Timm in charge of everything that is Bat-related (with an obvious bar on Bruce/Babs shipping).
Put Geoff Johns in charge of everything that is not Bat-related.
There, I just saved Warner Brothers.
>>
>>89058766
>you like something that I don't then you probably live in your mother's basement

You are just a fucking clown
>>
>>89047762
>and none of you actually talk about WHY you think BvS or MoS are bad
I've spent years doing that. I'm retired from that game.
>>
Lost all faith in WB. Not paying to watch any of their DC movies again. Catwoman and GL should have taught me a lesson.
>>
File: C1xHarjUUAAn9Wg.jpg (40KB, 480x494px) Image search: [Google]
C1xHarjUUAAn9Wg.jpg
40KB, 480x494px
>>89038447
>>
>>89038743

Kinda hard to do when Justice League starting filming two weeks after BvS released, and was past the point of no return in preproduction.
>>
File: 1483958277160.jpg (113KB, 898x633px) Image search: [Google]
1483958277160.jpg
113KB, 898x633px
>>89037862
>make 3 bad movies
>each worse than the last
>"WHY AREN'T YOU GIVING DC THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT?"
>>
>>89039152

Probably, but they kicked Charles Roven (MOS and BvS producer) off the set and movie, and took control away from Snyder, with Geoff Johns and Affleck basically babysitting him for the course of the production (overseeing last minute rewrites as well). The latter actually becoming the film's executive producer in place of Roven, with a deciding say on the final cut. And, with Jon Berg taking over the day to day duties on DC Films that Roven once had.

This, all before Berg and Johns were formally made the new heads of DC Films (with a sole focus on those films).

So even if it turns out shit (probably will), we can't say they didn't at least try to fix it.
>>
File: 1433875717775.gif (3MB, 420x300px) Image search: [Google]
1433875717775.gif
3MB, 420x300px
>>89061896
>and was past the point of no return in preproduction.
When hundreds of millions of dollars are at risk when it is all said and done, eat the cost to hit the brakes and wait to do it fucking right.
>>
>>89061842

this was the 1st private screening of the film, before BvS was released and critically panned, and before the studio panicked and chopped SS up in the editing room, dumbass.
>>
>>89045217

That's what happens when you rewrite a script to first feature Bale's Batman, then John Blake Batman, then a new Batman all together.
>>
>>89058702

That says more about how stupid people are.
>>
>>89062401

You're telling me that they filmed 20 minutes of Batman footage/scenes, and only left in about 2 minutes of it?

And didn't even restore it for the extended edition?
>>
>>89062825

you're telling me they shot enough joker footage to be its own movie, and cut out his entire plot to bare bones so that the fresh prince of belle reeve could have more backstory?

its a shit show at WB if you cant admit it after all this time and evidence you are delusional
Thread posts: 271
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.