[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> Ghostbusters with a woman, a black man, a disabled man and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 188
Thread images: 12

File: Diversity ghostbusters.jpg (243KB, 993x805px) Image search: [Google]
Diversity ghostbusters.jpg
243KB, 993x805px
> Ghostbusters with a woman, a black man, a disabled man and a latino gets made
> Everybody loves it and asks for more.
> Ghostbusters with four women gets made
> Everyone fucking loses their shit
What went wrong, /co/?
>>
One was animated couples with that I'm pretty sure most people don't know it exists, and the other was not for starters
>>
>>89035177
>What went wrong, /co/?

It just wasn't funny.
>>
>>89035177
Extreme Ghostbusters didn't try to replace the original.
>>
>>89035177
replace all the extreme ghostbusters with all guys/all girls and it would still be fine

make the ghostbusters 2016 half guys/half girls, and it is still not funny
>>
Women aren't funny.
>>
>>89035199
>>89035212
But plenty of people already decided they disliked it for having four women before the movie was even released.
>>
>>89035177
Was Extreme Ghostbusters made for the sake of diversity?

Was the recent Ghostbusters movie made for the sake of "why cant they be all women, huh"?
>>
>>89035235
Again, just look at the cast. You can tell that it was artificially made to be as diverse as fucking possible. And everyone STILL loved it.
>>
>>89035177
One is a sequel, with new characters, who learn from and respect the existing characters (Egon and Janine) and are distinguished from the originals (Real vs. Extreme Ghostbusters). The other is a reboot that ignores the old characters and replaces them with less likable characters. The Extreme Ghostbusters wasn't pushed as a better show because of diversity, it just had diversity as a side thing. The 2016 Ghostbusters only had the all women thing as a pull, and it felt shallow and like a bad parody reboot. Its like blaxploitation movies, there isn't anything good beyond the initial genderflip.
>>
>>89035177
>What went wrong, /co/?

The new movie spent so much time shitting on the original instead of trying to tell it's own story that it wasn't fun for older fans and the movie wasn't very funny or well-made, so it wasn't fun for new viewers either unless they were automatically willing to give it a pass because GRRRL POWER!
>>
>>89035274
Pretty much. The finale was even dedicated to them realizing that they wouldn't be as good as the originals, who have since gone and done their own thing and retired happily, save for Egon... and the originals offering sage advice and telling the kids not to be bothered by them and go their own way of doing things - and the epic meeting point where new ideas and old elbow grease come together, they beat the Bermuda Triangle.
>>
>>89035177
Joke's on you, I didn't bother with this show back then. It's originals or bust.
Besides the whole EXTREME look made me not interested, neither the idea of Egon being stuck on a wheelchair.
>>
>>89035224
>plenty
it really wasn't that many

Sony deleted youtube comments complaining about poor CGI or comedy in the trailer. They left comments complaining about women. It made the misogynist comments badly over-represented, which is what led to the who stupid gender argument.

Really the movie just didn't look great.
>>
>>89035235
>Was Extreme Ghostbusters made for the sake of diversity?
Yes, like a lot of cartoons around that time
Look at Captain Planet

Diversity isn't a bad thing to have. The problem is when it's the only thing you have
>>
>>89035224
No, they simply saw the trailer
>>
>>89035217
Have you ever Amy Schumer talk about her vagina?

Girls are smart and funny. Get over it.
>>
File: IMG_1652.jpg (24KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1652.jpg
24KB, 600x600px
>>89035653
>>
>>89035664
I'm pretty sure anon was just joking
>>
>>89035224

1) because the trailers were *awful*, and comedy trailers are notoriously bad for giving away their funniest moments. if all you do is cringe at a comedy trailer its almost a sure bet the movie itself is only going to be worse

2) making matters worse, Feig went on a nerd-bashing and male-bashing binge as an excuse of how poorly the trailer was received. attacking your core audience is rarely a winning advertising

did people decide this movie wasn't for them before the movie was released? yes, thats what every single one of us do when we watch trailers and go "i want to see that" or "i dont want to see that". unless you're going to the theater to watch 100.00% of movies released, you are exercising discretion and prioritizing your movie dollars.

did people decide the movie wasn't for them because it had 4 women stars? No, you've flipped cause and effect entirely:

1) the trailer stunk
2) people replied that the trailer stunk
3) Feig declared naysayers as misogynists

Just because he said it doesn't make it true. I *wanted* this movie to be good, I like Wiig and McKinnon especially, I enjoyed Bridesmaids well enough and hoped that Ghostbusters would be at least up to that bar. But it just wasn't.
>>
>>89035274

I remember that first trailer

Saying how 4 scientists saved new york and then we get told it was a reboot and not a sequel

If the movie was actually a sequel it might have actually done better if one of the ladies was say a daughter or some shit like that
>>
>>89035224
>>89035485

It's not like this is the first time that Sony has been caught paying for fake positive reviews when they think a movie is about to bomb:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Manning_(fictitious_writer)
>>
>>89035720

You don't even have to make the character someone's daughter or relative. One of the female Ghostbusters could be a former student who worked with Egon Spengler and who wants to carry on his work. It would be a way to tactfully acknowledge the character even though the actor who played him is dead now.
>>
>>89035199
That didn't excuse all the vitriol.
>>
90s diversity was cringey but ultimately well-meaning. 2010s diversity is about being praised for doing good.

People have just gotten worse over time.
>>
>>89035177
>Everybody loves it and asks for more
Zone is not "everybody"
>>
>>89035950

Most of it was exaggerated. See >>89035485
>>
>>89035224
Well that was also because the trailer was awful
>>
>>89035709
Didn't they also blackmail Bill Murray into working on it? They did everything wrong in this mess.
>>
It was the same issue as 1998 Godzilla, where it has nothing to do with the originals, but wants to cash in on the name. If its a different story, different characters, and different comedy style, then call it something else. Anyone who expected the movie to be like the old ones would be disappointed, and anyone who didn't like the old ones had little reason to watch it. Same problem as the Evil Dead remake (the movie, not the TV show), who is the target audience?
>>
>>89036064

He didn't want to appear in the movie, but he had to make a cameo because of contractual obligations. He looked miserable the whole time.
>>
>>89035224
Hello Paul Faggot and Shitsey Jones.
>>
>>89036191
>Paul Faggot
>not "Paul Fag"
>>
>>89036076
>Evil Dead remake
You know, it wasn't really that bad
It was nothing like the old Evil Dead, but it a bad stand-alone movie
>>
>>89036090
>He looked miserable the whole time

in fairness, that's his normal state outside of Cubs World Series wins.
>>
>>89036076
>he didn't like Evil Dead remake
Preach, brother. I thought I was alone in the universe.
>>
>>89036295
Usually he looks miserable funny. Or did, back when he did comedies instead of... whatever were those movies he made since 2000, aside from Zombieland. In most of those it's just miserable I guess.
>>
>>89035177

obviously all women isnt as diverse as the first troupe you listed.
>>
>>89036331
>>89036076
I went to watch it because of the Ash "cameo". BOY was I disappointed.

1998 Godzilla is a guilty pleasure of mine, though. I think it's the 90s blockbuster feel of it.
>>
>>89036370
as it's own monster movie it's a pretty good "bad" movie, and I actually like Zilla's design, but it's not Godzilla.

I fucking loved the toys though. And with Rifftrax it's a pretty great movie.
>>
>>89035224
>disliked it for having four women
prove it
>>
>>89036076
The thing about Evil Dead is that each of the three movies in that series are a different genre from the others, so which tone do you remake?

People remember Ash's character and the mix of horror and slapstick that fit that character most fondly about the series, but the first film wasn't that, it was famous for how over the top the blood and gore was, so that's what the remake did.

It's sort of like how there's two completely different groups of Mortal Kombat fans, people interested in the story and people who only care about fatalities.
>>
>>89035274
What I do appreciate about the extreme ghostbusters cartoon was the guy in the wheelchair was kind of an asshole who wasn't afraid to poke fun at his own condition.
>>
>>89035177
Because the internet wasn't as ubiquitous then as it was now, especially with the rise of social media giving everyone a soap box. There were probably people pissed about it then too, but they didn't have an outlet for letting people know.
>>
Ghostbusters 2016 was a bad movie. It was one of the most cringe inducing experiences at the theater. I was embarrassed for every actor involved.
>>
>>89036370
I'm more annoyed by how hyped up the villain was and ended up being a boring female Evil Ash rehash spouting DmC-tier profanities and defeated so easily it's hard to consider it any kind of threat.
>>
Ghostbusters was a bad movie, but it wasn't the most terrible thing in the world. It wasn't very well written or directed, but it wasn't the worst.

it's a lower than mediocre movie that suffers even more from trying to ape the original while pretending that they thought it up.

In the long run it will be forgotten, save for the people that keep bringing it up to talk about how bad it was.
>>
>>89035274
Blaxploitation movies can be fun though
>>
File: 1484040191527.png (460KB, 541x488px) Image search: [Google]
1484040191527.png
460KB, 541x488px
>>89035177
Maybe the fact that they were women didnt have anything to do with why it was a mediocre movie, with ATROCIOUS comedy
>>
>>89036076
>>89036292
>>89036440
Bros, is it possible to get a girl into the Evil Dead these days? I need advice here.
>>
>>89036076
>>89036292
>>89036440

According to Ash vs. Evil Dead, Army of Darkness is non-canon.
>>
>>89036817
They referenced Ash time travelling to the middle ages in the second season. Its just that Army of Darkness is its own comic series franchise, and the show only has the rights to the Evil Dead franchise.
>>
>>89036817
It's hard to tell up to which point even Evil Dead 2 is canon. Or how much of the first and how much of the second one, too.
>>
>>89036780
Maybe if you start with Evil Dead 2, and then the TV show. The first isn't really a good tone setter, and AoD has a lot of flaws.
>>
New Ghostbusters failed because it was unfunny and every character was really dumb.

Every. Fucking. Character.

Even the chinese delivery man was played really dumb.
>>
>>89036817

Not of the Evil Dead films segue into the other coherently, so it makes sense that Ash vs. Evil Dead would have its continuity discrepancies. Doesn't mean AoD is non-canon, just that it has the same seguing oversights with AvsED.

I haven't seen season 2 yet, but I heard the producers paid Lionsgate or whoever owns the AoD license so they can now reference the film directly instead of alluding to it subtly like they did in season 1.
>>
>>89036780
Look if she enjoys goofy horror shit, she'll love it
If she doesn't, she won't. Evil Dead is great but there's not point in pretending it isn't kind of niche
>>
>>89037022
>Not of the Evil Dead films segue into the other coherently
ED1 is totally disconnected from ED2, but 2 leads directly into AoD
>>
>>89037082
>but 2 leads directly into AoD

ED2 ends with Ash killing a winged Deadite and being hailed as a hero by the Medieval population.

AoD opens with Ash being attacked and taken prisoner by the knights the moment they see him, ignoring the whole final scene from ED2.

So it's not a perfect segue.
>>
>>89035235
It was diverse in both designs and characters, that's why

Also I appreciate the fact that the Wheelchair guy was an asshole.
>>
>>89037113
You're right, but it is close enough that you understand it's supposed to be a direct sequel

ED1 and ED2 have nothing like that.
>>
>>89037137

True. I remember seeing ED2 for the first time and not getting that the first 15 minutes were a condensed remake of ED1, being totally lost.
>>
>>89035200
This.
>>
>>89036780
Normally the best thing would be release order to experience the evolution.

If she likes serious horror, watch 1 first, release order
If she's more into horror-comedy, watch 2 first, then Army, then 1
If she's more into comedy-adventure, watch Army first, then reverse order

2 and Army start with loose recaps of the previous films.

The show is loose enough for fresh viewers but better for those who've watched the films.
>>
>>89037194
>>89036979
Would it be best to watch the show and if she likes it show her ED2 and AoD? I think that is going to be the plan.
>>
File: 1471293779481.gif (313KB, 500x340px) Image search: [Google]
1471293779481.gif
313KB, 500x340px
Did the female ghostbusters movie bomb?
>>
>>89037194
there are also several comics and games about evil dead too
>>
>>89035177
Extreme Ghostbusters was good

the remake movie sucked balls, and the creator cried sexism when people pointed out the film's lack of quality
>>
>>89037009
Yea Kevin went way past funny dumb to me actually worrying if he needed a special helmet and care.

And the rest were just atrocious. No real chemistry between them just all making their own jokes all the way through. The herse scene was total cringe as was McKinnon most the time.

Feig really failed when given a standing franchise. Banishing to schlock is too good for him.

He should be back to television as a bit character.
>>
>>89037282
it bombed hard
>>
>>89037082
Theybhad to cut characters because of copyright issues, 2 statys exactly when 1 ends right after the disjointed flashback at the beginning.
It's not a remake and ash wasn't returnng with a new girlfiend. For fuck sakes. Ive been explaining this since I was 13 and started watching horror.
If you want a version that connectsbthem nicely go see the musical, scott is the main antagonist.
>>
>>89037282
>Did the female ghostbusters movie bomb?

>Budget $144mil
>Box office $229.1mil

Budget doesn't account for marketing costs and various theater/distributor cuts (overseas markets taken more than domestic in that regard).

So it's in that grey area where they say it was a success but not enough of one to qualify as worth the expense.
>>
>>89037321
good
>>
>>89037282
Yep, underperformed and now is best forgotten.

Some say merchandise helped it break even. But I never saw anything of it at my local stores outside of a speciality store and even then not much.
>>
>>89037156
For the longest time I thought 2 was just a remake of 1.

>>89037282
Bombed hard, I think. In the opening day there were several tweets with photos from empty theatres.
>>
>>89035177
One was good and one was not.
>>
>>89035224
>But plenty of people already decided they disliked it for having four women before the movie was even released.

That's the point of trailers.
>>
>>89037343
But their scorched earth marketing against men earned them no favors much less Feig using the movie account to most that #Imwithher Hillary Clinton stuff.

So yea it's not a film anyone wants to remember.

But hey Ivan Reitman is now back in control and pursuing a animated series based off concepts from the first Ghostbusters script.
>>
>>89037440
WHOA what
>>
>>89037475
>The studio’s animation division is planning a television series entitled “Ghostbuster: Ecto Force.” The show is being spearheaded by Ivan Reitman, the director of the original 1984 blockbuster, and will focus on a new generation of Ghostbusters. It will be set in the year 2050. The show is eyeing an early 2018 debut.

One team out of many other teams based in the future. So yea a lot like Aykroyd original script.
>>
>>89037564
>a new generation
oh

I thought you meant the first Ghostbusters movie's original script.
>>
>>89037263
The first episode kind of banks on you having seen the films first, some parts probably won't be as funny.

Try ED2, then episode 1. The events of Army doesn't really matter to the show apart from giving Ash his current wisecracking personality, so watch it whenever. It's also the least scary/gory, so it's the odd duck of the franchise now.
>>
>>89037297
>there are also several comics and games about evil dead too

Unfortunately, the AoD comics are really, really, REALLY bad. The ED comics I haven't read; heard they were better. It's weird, since the ED movies and the AoD movie are held by different companies, they can be licensed separately, but they just cannot coexist.

The AoD comics read like fanfiction and eventually devolved into one crossover after another.

The ED video games are shovelware-tier.
>>
>>89035485
They also deleted negative comments from woman.

The sexism narrative was far before the trailer though. When people were commenting that they weren't interested in a Ghostbusters movie without the original cast the sexism rants flew loose.

Sony's emails before production had already talked about using sexism as a marketing gimmick.
>>
>>89035177
One was a continuation of the series. The other was a reboot that came after years of waiting for a sequel.
>>
>>89037718
>When people were commenting that they weren't interested in a Ghostbusters movie without the original cast the sexism rants flew loose.

>People ask James Rolfe if he'll be reviewing the movie
>James Rolfe says the trailer looked bad, so no
>Patton Oswald calls Rolfe a sexist and rallies a hate mob against him

WTF there is no rational cohesion to that chain of events. Disliking the 2016 Ghostbusters film is apparently a thought crime, now.
>>
>>89037440
Reitman being back in control feels like a Hail Mary by the studio.
>>
>>89037343
Fieg said it needed 500 to warrant a sequel.

The supposed three movie plan was terrible though and no way the Russo brothers have time to make the second movie now anyway.
>>
>>89037747
Sony wanted to make it a political statement. Not seeing it or not liking it meant you were sexist, that you were in the wrong. And so many idiots latched onto that.

They took arms and defended their politics over their taste. Do you really think Patton Oswalt or half these people thought it was funny or do you think they shilled it because their political views required them to?
>>
File: STL036527-1-600x911.jpg (147KB, 600x911px) Image search: [Google]
STL036527-1-600x911.jpg
147KB, 600x911px
>>89037893

>The IDW Ghostbusters comic will now be incorporating the 2016 movie characters into its cast

That was a good Ghostbusters comic we had there once. Ah well.
>>
>>89037951
>>The IDW Ghostbusters comic will now be incorporating the 2016 movie characters into its cast
>>
>>89035664
That's a joke from south park
>>
>replace all men with women
What is this the 90ies? Do people actually think this shit is innovative or ground breaking?

>oh so diverse
An all women cast is just as diverse as an all male cast if you haven't noticed
Diversity isn't equivalent to 'removing all the white males'

>everyone loses their shit
People lost their shit over how lame the trailer was. Full of Adam Sandler style fart vomit humor, lame stereotypes, horrible CGI, camera work like in a comedy movie and boring unlikable characters. And the movie just confirmed all of these suspicions.

Calling everyone who complained about the move misogynists was a desperate attempt at damage control, which didn't help it's aggregate user ratings by the way. It's a shit movie.
>>
>>89035224
yes, roooo i can't stand women in movies
it had nothing to do with it being breathtakingly unfunny, but it had those icky females in it
>>
>>89036979

>AoD has a lot of flaws

Well, you're a fucking faggot who sucks pozz dick.
>>
>>89035200
Bingo. The old team even teams up with the new at some point.
>>
>>89038391
Ego mentored them too and was around in every episode. It helped that the cast was likable.

Most people would have been open to a passing of the torch movie I think. It certainly didn't help that so many involved push that it was better than the original.
>>
Because there was no need to do a Ghostbuster reboot. The second is that the movie was not funny nor memorable like the original film.

I love how SJWism permeates throughout Hollywood nowadays except for the fact that the black Ghostbuster was a stereotypical loud black woman without scientific acumen. At least Winston in the original film came off as the straight man; the regular guy whose POV is meant to take a look at the paranormal stuff and the way the other Ghostbusters act with skepticism.
>>
>>89038382
Fuck off, I can like a movie and still recognize it has problems.
>>
>>89038472

Oh, sure.

In your original post, it sounded like it had just flaws.

Nevermind then.
>>
File: WhaleHarpGun1.jpg (26KB, 570x327px) Image search: [Google]
WhaleHarpGun1.jpg
26KB, 570x327px
Also, Kylie was hot without deliberately sexualising her. None of the 2016 Ghostbusters would be hot if you even tried to sexualise them.

Also, fact is, when Melissa McCarthy is in a move, she only ever plays Melissa McCarthy.

Pic completely unrelated to Melissa McCarthy, honest.
>>
>>89035177
Basically people thought this movie looked bad from the trailer. Then people forgot about the movie and it became a war between MRAs and feminists. Going to the movie was now a political statement. This uproar over an average movie was so bad that the AVGN had a hit piece written about him. The media was obnoxious for labeling every man who didn't like the movie as a sexist. The film wasn't that good end of story.
>>
>>89038564
It's amazing how trivial shit like this becomes a battleground between red-pilled MRAs and knee-jerk 3rd wave feminists.
>>
>>89035177
One is an enjoyable show with plenty of organic characters that naturally allow humor to spring up, often when in interesting or dynamic situations.

The other is a movie where 4 stereotypes are put together and the two leads are so horribly uninteresting and unfunny that the best stereotype is Black Woman or Random Woman. They're never moving organically, and the entire movie is yet another 3 act Origin story rather than a real Ghostbuster continuation.
>>
>>89037951
>>89038023
Meh, this is just IDW's Ghostbusters multiverse in action.
>>
>>89037650
The Ashes 2 Ashes AoD comic had a fun cartoony art style though yes, it reads like fanfiction (Ash goes back in time again to meet himself)
>>
>>89035177
Go the fuck to /tv/ if you want to talk about the movies
>>
>>89037951
>>89038023
I was under the impression this will be an interdimensional crossover like TMNT and RGB.
>>
>>89035200
This.
>>89035274
This.
>>89035293
Also this.
>>89035709
This too.
>>
>>89037951
>The IDW Ghostbusters comic will now be incorporating the 2016 movie characters into its cast

I was enjoying this comic so much.

I guess that's $4 I can save every month now.
>>
>>89036333
Reminds me of the time Huffpo tweeted a picture of their writers intending to show off their diversity

It was entirely white women with maybe an Asian in the back and blacks laid into them over it
>>
>>89040020
>>89038023
Maybe they'll just scrap the movie character personalities entirely and make new ones that aren't shit.
>>89039443
>>89039646
If they hold true to the movies we can only hope eventually they'll leave again
>>
>>89038274
>Diversity isn't equivalent to 'removing all the white males'
>>
>>89035200
Also Extreme did not have a bunch of goths, hispanics, and disabled people telling everyone else to stop being babies and "GHOSTBUSTERS IS OURS NOW" and then a lot more people false flagging that kind of shit everywhere to drive up "controversy" to try to make it sell.
>>
All the XGB just like original Ghostbusters are actually likable characters you care about.
I couldn't give a single fuck about NuBusters.
>>
>>89036440
>so which tone do you remake?

Assuming it's a remake of Evil Dead and not Evil Dead 2 nor Army of Darkness, my guess would be the first film's tone.
>>
>>89037951

OH GOD WHY
>>
>>89040020
Relax, it's a crossover. They implied that the 2016 Ghostbusters is an alt Earth and so the plot is merging the two worlds at the start, and the teams need to fix it.

Burnham's proven himself with the comic so I'm willing to give him a chance.
>>
>>89035177
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJDkWDO5RY
>>
>>89037113
>ED2 ends with Ash killing a winged Deadite and being hailed as a hero by the Medieval population.

I honestly don't remember that. All I remember is Ash landing, looking around, seeing all the Medieval shit, and then freaking out realizing what's going on. The fuck did this come from?
>>
>>89039646
It is. >>89038023 and >>89037951 are overreacting. Plus the fact is that the guy who's been writing the Ghostbusters comic for a long while is still writing it, it's not like they got Feig to write it.
>>
>120 posts in
>Not one cropped Zone pic
Im surprised
>>
>>89036817
Didn't they confirm it is canon now? Because the issue they had was that Army of Darkness has separate rights from Evil Dead (which is why Army of Darkness comics are done by Dynamite and another company is doing Evil Dead comics with Deadite Ash).
>>
So if the events of Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, and Army of Darkness don't match up. Does that mean that Ash could dimension hop to meet Ash and Ash?
>>
>>89041716
No, there is no indication of multiple dimensions in the ED canon. It's more like the first 4 books of the New testament having slightly different retellings of the same events.
>>
>>89041587
>The fuck did this come from?

Rewatch the movie?

Knights say "SLAY THE BEAST", they're about to stab him, then the winged monster swoops down and Ash blows its head off. Then they start hailing him and he screams in despair.

If you don't remember that part, you probably haven't watched the movie in a long time.
>>
Seems like a good place to ask as any: Why the fuck are the hardcover volumes of Ghostbusters (Total Containment/Mass Hysteria) so fucking expensive now? They were like 30 bucks last time I checked and just when I was about to purchase them they skyrocket. It kind of pisses me off
>>
>>89041769

Out of print, so even Amazon jacks up the price.
>>
>>89041609

>Modern day comics writer
>Won't miss a chance to go full-throttle SJW

It's like you haven't read a comic in 10 years, anon.
>>
>>89038564
I remember that AVGN shit. Someone noticed he had a wedding ring on and asked "Who would marry this baby?"

>>89038532
Doesn't Bill Murray only ever play Bill Murray though? Granted in film Bill Murray is a pretty fun and likable guy, even if he is an ass at times, while Melissa's whole thing is "I'm a chick and I'm fat, isn't that funny!?"
>>
>>89041823
Fucking really? Damn
>>
>>89041716

Aside from the comics and games that go in different directions, in the movies the only alternate universe is the deleted ending on AoD.

All the movies and AvsED are a single canon even if they don't fit together perfectly (AvsED includes clips from both ED1 and ED2 even when there are different actresses playing Linda; they aren't slaves to continuity).

...And I guess Within the Woods is an alternate movie timeline, but it hardly counts for anything.
>>
>>89041748
Marvel Zombies versus Army of Darkness is canon and included a version of Ash Williams native to the Marvel multiverse.
>>
>>89041661
>the issue they had was that Army of Darkness has separate rights from Evil Dead

What the fuck?
>>
>>89041917
>the deleted ending on AoD.

Did that ever get a follow up? I thought it was interesting but I don't remember even so much as a comic coming from it.
>>
>>89035200
This. It's a proper new story yet builds off of the originals, one of the original team is their mentor and the other orginal members exist as themselves in universe and even show up.

I don't get total reboots that have a few of the old cast sprinkled in as completely different back up one shot characters just to say the actor is in there, but not the character.
>>
>>89041952

Rights to movie franchises were routinely split up between companies back in the 80s. It isn't as common now, but it was typical for a movie series to go from company to company.

MGM owns Child's Play 1, New Line owns the rest of the series.
Halloween is owned by 3 or 4 different companies.
Friday the 13th has its films split between Paramount, New Line and WB (in the UK).
Hellraiser is half Dimension, half somebody else.

Usually the two companies can't license the same property separately from one another, but because the first two films were called "Evil Dead" and the third was "Army of Darkness", there's a out and AoD is considered separate from ED in licensing.
>>
>>89035177
> Everybody loves it and asks for more.
is this why it only lasted one season?
>>
>>89041987

The Dynamite AoD comic did a followup where Ash visit that future.

But it was a shit comic like all the other ones Dynamite put out.
>>
>>89035224
Oh bollocks, it was disliked because it was q teboot and all reboots are terrible and this particular reboot disrespected the source material, fans and was just a shameless and lazy cash grab to keep the liscence for the franchise and based it's premise on a marketing gimmick.
>>
Didn't a bunch of celebs and sony people bash a youtuber over twitter because he said he didn't want to see the movie? If they are doing that much just because of a video, then I would call that a success.
>>
>>89035251
It's almost like good writing is important or something...I'M LOOKING AT JOHN TRAVOL- I MEAN KORRA!
>>
>>89035177
Extreme Ghostbusters was awful though.
>>
>>89042049

Yeah, that was James Rolfe. He was asked if he'd be reviewing it and he said no because the trailers looked bad.

A bunch of celebrities like Patton Oswalt rallied against him, got Feminist Frequency involved, and tried to tear him apart. It didn't work and I think his channel subscriptions actually went up because he stood his ground and didn't apologize after they started the attack on him.
>>
>>89042036
And they barely even tried to bust ghosts. They caught one which they then lost and killed a man which they proceeded to joke about.

Rest of the time they just blew them up.

Money all that mattered. Sony Pictures being closed down can't come soon enough.
>>
>>89042027
Shame it was shit. So did Ash meet his alternate self that got to that future from drinking too much of that sleeping potion?
>>
File: 1463510732298.jpg (190KB, 439x1393px) Image search: [Google]
1463510732298.jpg
190KB, 439x1393px
>>89042049
Yes.
>>
>>89042087
Because he's actually got credibility. Man built a replica of an old video store including a "back room". In the room he first shot Nerd vids in.
>>
>>89042087
>>89042168

Rolfe was rewarded for standing up for himself and not cucking out the second SJWs went apeshit.
>>
>>89042154
Can't defend the film so they attempt to rip on his video store standee
>>
>>89042154
I liked Star Trek V.
>>
>>89041842
Burnham introduced a team of female Ghostbusters (and did it naturally and well) long before Feig was announced to be involved with the reboot. Since I've caught up with the IDW Ghostbusters and I can safely say I'd rather read them over most Marvel comics produced in the last three years (especially the ones you'd complain about for being SJW related), I sure as hell would give Burnham the benefit of the doubt compared to Feig.
>>
File: 1463686930233.jpg (140KB, 642x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1463686930233.jpg
140KB, 642x1350px
>>89042197
It's appalling because they could've easily addressed what he said in the video. That was when I realized how ineffective a lot of professional Twitter snarkers really were.
>>
>>89042073
This, monster designs aside it was pretty bland.
>>
>89042073
Not even deserving a (You)
>>
>>89041842
>>89042317

Burnham doesn't strike me as the SJW type; or at least he doesn't infuse it into all his writing like Waid or Bendis or whoever.

I'll give Ghostbusters 101 a chance. If it turns into 20 pages of "ugh, MEN!" then I'll drop it. But I'll give Burnham the chance to redeem the shitacular 2016 characters.
>>
How did it balance horror and comedy without becoming an obnoxiously unfunny pile of shit like most horror comedies are?
>>
Because it was the cast of SNL
>>
>>89042365
And yet AVGN still has over 5 times more followers!
>>
>>89042559
I have to wonder what the majority of their tweets are about. Suppose James' are mostly about content he releases while the other two are just normal mundane shit, like pictures of their food or whatever?
>>
>>89042449
>If it turns into 20 pages of "ugh, MEN!" then I'll drop it. But I'll give Burnham the chance to redeem the shitacular 2016 characters.

That's my thinking too. Cause when he introduced the new characters in his comic he didn't diminish the originals. "Ugh, MEN!" would work if the 2016 team were reacting to Chevy Chase Ghostbuster being a jerk, but would feel kinda forced if they reacted like that to the original team too often.

I mean Burnham already put Kylie in the comic as a regular character and it feels natural. Eduardo made some cameo appearances and Roland's going to be in this upcoming crossover.
>>
>>89042087
What pissed me off was how sexist and racist these people were. Bitching about how awful all white men are while championing anti-sexism and anti-racism

Who is this rhetoric supposed to win over?
>>
>>89042603
Faraci's are almost all whining, shitting on people, and the usual twitter sojust shitposter nonsense.

Rolfe's is mostly release notes or just harmless regular tweets like happy new years or things like that.
>>
>>89042670

One of the big things they threw at Rolfe was his wedding band.

All these "feminists" started trashing his wife and calling her fat or ugly or whatever as a way of attacking him.
>>
>>89035177
extreme ghostbusters was not a remake

and was funny
>>
>>89036028
And we are not Zone.
>>
>>89042711
I was really surprised RLM didn't get more shit for Ghostbusters.
>>
>>89042711
Reminds me of the "Rape Melina" signs we saw in the week after Trump won
>>
>>89042711
I remember that shit, even heard some people say she was a "woman traitor". Like what the fuck?
>>
>>89042365

And then weeks or months later Faraci was forced to resign due to allegations of sexual misconduct/assault.
>>
>>89035235
>Was Extreme Ghostbusters made for the sake of diversity?

>Was the recent Ghostbusters movie made for the sake of "why cant they be all women, huh"?

Diversity was an explicit design goal for both from the very beginning.

One executed, the other didn't.

One accused hardcore fans who weren't down with the concept of bigotry, and the other didn't.

>>89035224
Fedora tippers anon. Don't forget that lots of people hated the Muslim Ms Marvel concept, until it came out and was actually good.

>>89037343
>>89037282
>>89037359

Broke even, but blew the franchise value. Alienated key tastemakers. That's a serious net loss.

The merch figures includes merch from the original movie.

>>89037951
If anyone can pull it off, it's those writers. I'm not looking forward to it though.

I'm suprised this thread has gone on without including any zone porn.
>>
>>89042904
A woman's loyalty should lie with the sisterhood, not her family or friends

>>89042954
I REMEMBER THAT

He was virtue signalling about how awful Trump's "Grab em by the pussy" line was and how no real man would do that. Some girl tweets back at him saying how Faraci literally grabbed her by the pussy and then he was forced to resign. He NEEDED people to know he was a good person and that's what led people to find out that he wasn't. It's so wonderful
>>
>>89035177
>Ghostbusters with a woman, a black man, a disabled man and a latino gets made
>It's presented on the basis of it's merits

>Ghostbusters with four women gets made
>take THAT, men!
>this movie is a political statement
>if you dont watch this movie you're literally a racist
>this film isnt shit the audience is shit

complete mystery
>>
>>89042970
>Broke even
Man, are you sure?

I saw an article saying it broke even when the box office was 150 million. Showing they either have no idea how movies work or they don't care and just wanted to prove the whiny manbabies wrong and chalk up another victory for feminism
>>
>>89042970
>Broke even
It lost 70 million dollars on a 114 million dollar budget.
>>
>>89042970
>Alienated key tastemakers
>tastemakers

Don't you mean TOYmakers?
>>
>>89042970
There are still figures of the 2016 cast clogging the shelf up on clearance at my local stores.
>>
>>89043224
>>89043050
People have this mistaken assumption that when wikipedia says the budget was $144 Million and the Box Office was $229 million that it meant they got their money back. They usually don't realize the box office total is not what the studio gets back.
>>
>>89043353
To be fair it also excludes how much they make off merchandising and product tie-ins make them. A lot of movies make their marketing budget back through those tie-ins.
>>
>>89042849
Because James' video came out around the time when Sony was going to release another trailer. By the time RLM released their videos, the movie was already out and the damage control was weakening because it wasn't making enough at the box office. IIRC by that point someone at the Mary Sue wrote up an article wondering complaining about the media giving up on Ghostbusters 2016 and complained about the 1984 film being racist and sexist.
>>
>>89042087
Some people still rip on him today. I think what described it best was some idiot on Mary Sue saying he was an ass for making a video complaining about how this movie ruined his childhood.

Then some other guy called the twit out for not even watching the video. It wasn't much of a victory, but it helped restore a little faith I have in humanity.
>>
>>89043510
>Racist
Oh fucking hell. Compare Ernie Hudson's character to Leslie Jones'. Was it racist because there was only one black character and he wasn't a scientist? Gosh that's so backward. We can't do that in the Current Year +1

Also doesn't help that Leslie Jones actually does look like an ape. I'm sorry but I won't apologize for saying that.

>Sexist
Because every man being either stupid or evil in Newbusters is somehow less sexist than whatever the hell was sexist about Ghostbusters
>>
>>89043050
>Man, are you sure?
No. It's fucking hollywood accounting, and the lies were flying hot and heavy on this story.

Double checking the best numbers I have in Hollywood.

144 million budget
110 million marketing, estimated
=254 million. That might explain the 500 million box office for a sequel quoted.

128 million box office domestic. @ 50 percent.
64 million

101 million box office, rest of world. @ 33 percent
33 million

16 million home video sales @ 50 percent
8 million

=105 million

They don't break out the merch between the new movie and the older stuff, but there's no way in hell they're going to fill in that gap with anything but fired bodies. That at LEAST a 60 million dollar gap.

Lets redact that from "break even" to near record setting bomb.
>>
>>89043624
That's the new thing. Shit on old classics for being racist, sexist, or both.

>Ace Ventura
Sexist and prejudices against Transexuals
>Total Recall
Sexist
>Ghost Busters
Sexist AND Racist

And the list goes on and on...
>>
>>89035485
Confirmed, as they kept deleting my comment when I pointed out how stupid it was to lick a nuclear accelerator.

And yet feminists continue to deny Sony did such things.
>>
File: chaykinquote.jpg (504KB, 509x2304px) Image search: [Google]
chaykinquote.jpg
504KB, 509x2304px
>>89043826
Every time I get frustrated with one of those articles or tweets that act like that I try to remember what Howard Chaykin said and I feel better.
>>
>>89042087
>didn't apologize after they started the attack on him.

He didn't say anything. He made to response video or angry tweets, he acted like an adult.
>>
>>89035224
>decided they disliked it for having four women before the movie was even released.

No. It was disliked because
1) Sony announced it and there was no sign of Reitman being involved
2) Paul Feig had an entire female cast, and they kept selling the all female cast like it was this ground breaking thing, even though Ghostbusters already had female characters
3) Trailer released: Looks like Scooby Doo 2: Scooby Does New York

>3 strikes before the movie is even out.
Thread posts: 188
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.