[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't cartoons as "mature" as they were in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1_hey-arnold[1].jpg (711KB, 2724x2004px) Image search: [Google]
1_hey-arnold[1].jpg
711KB, 2724x2004px
Why aren't cartoons as "mature" as they were in the 90s and early 2000nds? By that I don't mean sex and violence but mature themes and morals?
Take Hey Arnold or Avatar for example. Each deal with death in serious way or child abuse.
These shows seemed to respect their audience more than current cartoons do today. Why is that?
>>
>>88899576
>Avatar
>Came out in 2005
>2005
>Early 2000s
>>
>These shows seemed to respect their audience more than current cartoons do today
then they did a good job at fooling you
>>
Hey Arnold was slightly inspired by Charlie Brown, as it allowed its characters to remain sad when appropriate.

I think its more of an exception then the rule, OP.
>>
>>88900770
>I think its more of an exception then the rule, OP.
This. A lot of shows from that era don't really hold up as well, and they're certainly not as mature.
>>
>>88899576
>Take Hey Arnold or Avatar for example

Neither of those had "mature themes and morals" outside of stuff like Pigeon Man or the episode that dealt with Zuko's backstory. Most of Hey Arnold was Sunday school tier, while Avatar let the characters cop out of whatever lesson they were supposed to learn half the time so that it could avoid saying anything controversial.
>>
>>88902120
>That episode about child abuse
>That episode about death (actually those many episodes about death)
>That episode about war
Come on anon.
>>
>>88899576
society has worn out
>>
>>88902048
>>88900770
There was also gargoyles, Rocko's modern life, static shock, Batman the animated series, superman the animated series, Justice league, The Animaniacs and a bunch of other cartoons I can't remember.
All of these delt with mature subjects and multiple instances
>>
>>88900364

It came out in February of 2005, it edges the line but I'd still call that early in the decade, more than half of it was still left at the time.
>>
>>88902120

Arnold had more than the Pigeon Man episode. The Christmas special, the episode where it shows Helga first met Arnold, the episode where Stinky refuses to sell himself out to commercialization, the episode that was reflective of a kid snapping and taking a school hostage (closest to school shooter one can get in a cartoon), episode that shows a perfect kid might be the worst off (Olga and Lila), ect.

Arnold might have had some simple stories but there were a few that handled situations that are more mature than typical cartoon episodes. You're lucky if a cartoon breaks cliche character stereotype like 'popular bitch girl' or 'ugly bully'.

I think Phineas and Ferb did the 'friend bully' like Harold in Hey Arnold but that only comes to mind for recent examples.
>>
>>88902355

I'd actually still call every one of those the exception to the rule. Those are a large swath of the ones we herald as the best of an era, but the legions and legions of bullshit are normally forgotten. 90s-00s had more than it's share of ADHD riddled bullshit.

Anyway the answer to the question is the same as most others, "that isn't the hot market right now", people are going to chase the buck wherever it goes.
>>
>>88902504
Hey Arnold gave us the Pataki family dynamic of a realistic screwed up family.
Blowhard, workaholic dad.
Stay at home drink all day mom.
Pressured perfectionist older daughter.
Rebellious intelligent love starved younger daughter.

And you could feel Arnold's pain at being seperated from his parents and wondering what had happened to them.
>>
>>88902495
Technically,
2000-2003 is early 2000s
2004-2006 is mid 2000s
2007-2009 is late 2000s

Remember that now
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.