[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever read a comic and then realize you are just inadequate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: 1482867666679.jpg (1MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
1482867666679.jpg
1MB, 1988x3056px
Have you ever read a comic and then realize you are just inadequate to understand it fully?
Take Alan Moore's Providence for example, it seems to me that you cannot even understand it without having read all of H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu novels.
>>
there's a good site that posts companions to each page of each issue, panel by panel, it really really helped me with OP issue
>>
yeah that's why i haven't read it. or League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and i actually have some knowledge of League shit.

I ordered From Hell and made sure to get the companion book for it
>>
File: culture1.jpg (3MB, 3024x3924px) Image search: [Google]
culture1.jpg
3MB, 3024x3924px
>>88875531
https://factsprovidence.wordpress.com/moore-lovecraft-comics-annotation-index/providence-11/
>>
>>88875544
>>88875103
i think its equally as cool as it is stupid that you need a companion book for his comic
it doesnt make him smart, its just well executed trivial knowledge
>>
>>88875569

Moore generally can make it work without reading the notes though. Like Watchmen is dense as fuck too but no one ever really dwells on it.
>>
File: IMG_0526.jpg (509KB, 1306x2001px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0526.jpg
509KB, 1306x2001px
This is pretty much how I feel the first time I read most Morrison stuff. Pic very related
>>
>>88877587
I still don't understand this and I've read it at least three times
>>
>>88875579
i skipped almost every single pure writing page with no art in watchmen

got me along fine

all that nite owl 1 shit i skipped, i read some of rorshachs stuff since it was cool tho
>>
>>88877745

I think that's part of the experience that Morrison was going for here. I believe he wanted it to be disorienting and unsettling and leave you feeling a little uncertain about how to approach the story. Which I think worked out pretty well in terms of the overall effect.
>>
>>88875103
Happened to me with this very comic.
I was familiar with HPL's mythology and had read a couple stories, but boy, was I green to read Providence. I felt like a toddler trying to understand algebra. When I checked this site https://factsprovidence.wordpress.com looking for answers and realised how many references I'd missed, I felt really stupid.
I luckily have a volume with all of Lovecraft's narrative so that will hopefully help me appreciate the whole thing a lot more when I read Providence in full after #12 comes out
>>
>>88875103
would you an Elsbeth, /co/?
>>
>>88875103
I think you can understand it full well from the narrator's perspective and here I suspect it works even better if you have no prior complex of Lovecraft.
>>
>>88875103

Providence and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen both have that effect on me, but it doesn't really stop me from reading or enjoying them with the limited knowledge that I have of the things being referenced. You'd have to be pretty insecure about yourself if you find that sort of thing limiting what you can and cannot read.
>>
>>88875103
This is Moore.txt m8
>>
Not so unusual in literature
>>
>>88881145
No, absolutely not, right? Nothing is published in a vacuum. It seems really weird that you would slate a comic for this.
>>
>>88875103

any work that relies on references to another is inherently worthless
>>
File: IMG_0395.png (1MB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0395.png
1MB, 640x1136px
>>88882967
>relies solely on

but idk anon, providence is a story about hidden knowledge
isnt there something to be said about having access to a different kind of story than more pedestrian readers bcuz of insider information? thats a huge aspect of what providence is about, might be it's chief trait
>>
>>88882967
This is the worst opinion I have ever read on /co/
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.