[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

redesign thread got me thinking about multicultural representation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: ripbasedblackcomicman.jpg (181KB, 640x250px) Image search: [Google]
ripbasedblackcomicman.jpg
181KB, 640x250px
redesign thread got me thinking about multicultural representation in comics which leads me to him

Dude wrote Damage Control & was an editor at Marvel by the late 80's. Co-founded Milestone comics and made Static Shock, then writing/producing the Justice League & Unlimited cartoons to give some highlights

He died aged 49 and we'll never know he had left to give to the industry and multicultural representation and I know if he was alive to see race used as a gimmick to sell books he'd have something to say about it.

I'm a middle class white kid and this dude was one of my heroes.

post anything McDuffie related
>>
File: StarcrossedJL.jpg (28KB, 635x362px) Image search: [Google]
StarcrossedJL.jpg
28KB, 635x362px
got nominated for the Writers Guild of America award in animation for this episode
>>
File: raven01.jpg (46KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
raven01.jpg
46KB, 480x360px
also did a great Raven episode for Teen Titans
>>
this is pretty 'old man shouts at clouds' but i hope someone else loved his work.
>>
>>88861984
Black kid from the Midwest here. Dude was a fucking inspiration. I owe my career to his example. I even submitted my comic to that award his wife started. Hoping for a non.
>>
File: mcduffie.jpg (61KB, 519x688px) Image search: [Google]
mcduffie.jpg
61KB, 519x688px
>>
>>88862804
sounds great man, good luck! You've got the right ideology behind you.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuLg13QbSSM
>>
>>88861822
Dwayne was a really legit dude. He didn't pretend there weren't problems in the industry and he responded by actually working towards getting them fixed. He didn't whine or complain, he criticized and he did it in a way that could actually make people see truth instead of turning them off and antagonizing them.
Beyond the political element, he was just a really great writer and he clearly loved the genre and the medium in general.
I wish he was still around because I feel like he could bring so much good sense to so many current discussions.
>>
Pity that /co/ and Rich killed him.
>>
>>88861822
If you're looking for someone similar try Ron Wimberly.
I saw him at a panel at NYCC and this white guy kept trying to say that Prince of Cats was a "hip-hop version of Romeo & Juliet" just because it had black people in gangs even though Ron clearly said it was inspired by punk rock.
>>
>>88862941
Well played.
>>
At least we still have Christopher Priest.
>>
>>88862941
>tfw unironically love Night Thrasher and the old New Warriors dynamic, esp. Night Thrasher + Rage and am kinda unhappy the Captain Falcon run just has Rage without NT covering his back at all
Like, Ewing brought him back right? And if Rage was in trouble with the cops or out on the streets Dwayne would be fucking *there* man.
>>
>>88862941
What was he complaining about here? That all new black characters looked the same?

>>88861822
he made static shock? respect.
>>
>>88861822
Dwayne McDuffie wrote some of the best and gripping stories from Justice League and Justice League Unlimited as well.

"Ultimatum" (story)

"Wake the Dead" (writer)

"The Once and Future Thing Part One: Weird Western Tales" (writer)

"The Once and Future Thing Part Two: Time, Warped" (writer)

"The Doomsday Sanction" (writer)

"Task Force X" (writer)

"The Balance" (writer)

"Clash" (writer)

"Hunter's Moon" (writer)

"Question Authority" (writer)

"Flashpoint" (writer)

"Panic in the Sky" (writer)

"Divided We Fall" (writer)

"Epilogue" (writer)

"I Am Legion" (writer)

"To Another Shore" (writer)

"Ancient History" (writer)

"Dead Reckoning" (writer)

"The Great Brain Robbery" (writer)

"Far From Home" (writer)

"Destroyer" (writer)

All of these were great stories that from my youth were great thought experiments for the ideas of civil liberties and the responsibility of power to how to let go your loved ones dying. The dialogue was sharp and witty but was perfect in its action.
>>
Loved the man.
Been planning to story time some classic static and maybe some Icon one of these days.
>>
>>88865079
Dwayne was madder that Marvel would only allow him to write black characters and black characters would only interact with other black characters

Dwayne saw this as segregation, which it was, and wrote that letter as a critique on the idea that only black guys should/could write black characters
>>
File: statheart.jpg (37KB, 564x423px) Image search: [Google]
statheart.jpg
37KB, 564x423px
>>88865423
dude, that'd be the absolute tits
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.