[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me out here, I just finished a rewatch of ATLA. Is it worth

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 10

Help me out here, I just finished a rewatch of ATLA. Is it worth watching Korra or is it irredeemable garbage? I've heard bad things from here, and good things from redditors I know irl.

Will it tarnish the greatness of the original series?
>>
it doesn't mess with the characters so it won't tarnish anything, but it won't be as good as you hope.
>>
>>88826078
>Will it tarnish the greatness of the original series?
Only if you let it, really. There are some things that conflict with the original series, at least thematically if not factually. It's not great, and all the untapped potential will make your butt clench hard enough to turn coal to diamonds. I'd say you should at least give it a shot. You might like it.
>>
>>88826184
>>88826097
Thank u my friends
>>
It's not irredeemable.
It is however incompetently put together. You don't have to worry about it taking a piss on any old characters since those that come back actually hold up okay and teh rest are dead. Dead like the dreams of a thousand anons after watching the show. But yeah, right, primary characters all suck, the entire team they all suck. Except Bolin. He's okay but incompetent. Incompetent like Bryke who upon wresting executive control promptly forgot much of their fondness for classical form in pursuit of shallow retro-contemporism.

It's worth a watch, but it's loaded with squandered potential.
>>
>>88826334
Oh and ONE MORE THING. The first season is rife with whiny romance bullshit, and some of the second book too. It starts to tone down after that though.
>>
>>88826437
Confession.. I watched legend of whorra, so I know
>>
>>88826078
It won't tarnish the original, but it's still not worth watching.
>>
>>88826078
It had moments that were truly fucking fantastic and then it had moments that just fell flat and kinda left you dissatisfied. Season 1 was 10/10.
>>
https://youtu.be/bmKaQqinWKY
>>
I'm sad as fuck now I just want a good follow up to Avatar
>>
Korra's massive breasts.
>>
File: 1474313606597.jpg (26KB, 308x308px) Image search: [Google]
1474313606597.jpg
26KB, 308x308px
>>88826078
why do you keep making this fucking thread
>>
you retards a pathetic
>>
>>88826078
It's a bit frustrating to watch as the series has tons of cool stuff in it but ultimately fucks up constantly where it counts. Mostly in terms of plot and characters. It's not terrible, just disappointing if you expect anything great.
>>
>>88827262
>Season 1 was 10/10.
up until the last 15 minutes or so. Then it also came apart.
>>
If you like A:TLA, you'll like TLOK. There. Easy.
>>
>>88830348
Objectively incorrect.

>>88826078
You will never know whether you enjoy it unless you watch it. If it's bad for you, you can retcon it to hell and out of your headcanon. AtLA is imo better, but Korra does have a few moments to make it at least a single viewing series. Remember to retcon it if your blood pressure exceeds 160/140.
>>
File: 1479226929303.png (193KB, 666x800px) Image search: [Google]
1479226929303.png
193KB, 666x800px
Just remember that Korra is an idiot.
And that she will never stop being an idiot.
If you keep that in mind, you won't be too disappointed.
>>
File: Tenzin versus Zaheer.webm (2MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Tenzin versus Zaheer.webm
2MB, 800x450px
>>88826078
It's essentially the Dragonball GT of Avatar.

Fight scenes are good though (when they're done by Studio Mir.) Just avoid season 2 but watch the Wan arc.
>>
>>88826078
Korra hate is a meme, it's a good series just different.
>>
>>88826097
After years of hearing how it's shit that literally ruined the franchise in a way the M. Night Shyamalamalamalamalon movie couldn't it's hard to be disappointed. I'm pretty sure hearing how awful and triggering Korra was from 4chan and goons is part of why I ended up liking it better than ATLA{/spoiler].

If you grew up with ATLA and were hyping yourself up before season 1 of Korra started, anticipating the saviour of animation and the series of the year all years, I'm sure it's a very different experience.
>>
>>88830515
I'd say she's a lot smarter than the last series protagonist but then I remember that the main character of ATLA was Zuko and not Aang and my argument dies in the womb like mai brown waifu's hopes for a satisfying finale ;_;
>>
>>88828179
>>
>>88827262
Season one's finale ruined it for me.
>>
>>88831572
Avatar as a series has had one good finale that wasn't a cliffhanger, and that's the end of Water. You think they'd have learned how to do them at some point.
>>
>>88830626
>smarter than Aang
>condemning the planet to Apocalypse
>liberating spirits
>getting herself captured twice by actually Walking directly to the villain
Wat?
>>
>>88831619
>>condemning the planet to Apocalypse
Aang did that once and almost did it again in the finale before the writers saved him with 2 deus ex machinas

>>liberating spirits
Aang would have done it to, he's a hippy faggot.

>getting herself captured twice by actually Walking directly to the villain
Aang gets captured like a dozen times in his series., sometimes in just as retarded of circumstances. ATLA is just less serious than LoK so it gets more slack at the cartoony set backs.

Zuko>Korra>Aang in protagonist terms, I'm sorry. Just the way it is. Aang was the worst part of his own show.
>>
>>88831637
Your teenie bopper psychology is really showing anon.
>>
>>88826078
My gf loved Avatar, but quit watching Korra halfway through season two out of disgust at the characters. Smart move on her part.
>>
>>88831637
The fact that you include Zuko as a protagonist bellies how fucking retarded you are.
>>
>>88831637
>Aang did that once
Not stopping is not the same as condemning; Aang wasnt even AWARE the first time, and in the end he manages to win despite not starting it. Also, lion turtles dis not "save him" as Ozai was already defeated with earthbending before that, so it's not a deus ex, and we know beforehand that being hit on that spot can activate the avatar state, so it is not a deus ex either.

>liberating spirits
"Aang would have done it because i say so".

>Aang gets captured
He gets captured twice in the show, and both times it was unavoidable circunstances; in one he needed to help his friends, and in another he was trying to help Zuko and fell into a trap. Korra makes her own retardation and gets herself captured, like literally Walking to the villains in S03 to " capture them herself", and in S01 to "fight Amon 1x1". She gets captured more times than that, but the other times it is unavoidable, like Aang.
>>
File: Whorra.gif (315KB, 486x494px) Image search: [Google]
Whorra.gif
315KB, 486x494px
>>88826078
>is it irredeemable garbage?
Yes and yes. I regret watching it.
>>
>>88831823
Not the person you're replying to, but the lion turtle was a deus ex because Aang didn't have to resolve his moral dilemma, not because he couldn't defeat the firelord without it.

Agree with everything else you said though.
>>
>>88831849
>lion turtle was a deus ex because Aang didn't have to resolve his moral dilemma
Even if you think that is true, it wasn't the lion turtle that solved that dilemma; it was his avatar state

Ozai was defeated with Avatar state, not with energybending. If you rewatch that part you will notice that Aang defeats Ozai before he take away his powers, which was needless. They could literally just throw him in jail with powers and it wouldn't make a difference.

That said, about the dilemma itself:
1. he COULD defeat the firelord without it. Actually, it is shown that Aang could redirect lightning to Ozai and CHOSES not to because it would kill him. At that point Aang already made his choice on his dilemma

2. Aang was in control of the avatar state. This is important because it doesnt invalidate his journey; if Aang could simply go berserk and force the avatar state, he would have killed Ozai. He didn't kill him because he learned control. Simply 'hitting a rock and activating the avatar state' would just kill Ozai normally.
>>
>>88832041
It's still cheap to me. They build up this idea that Aang HAS to kill the firelord in the finale, only to turn out that taking away his bending will suffice, or not even that as you say (which detracts from the premise that it takes a fully fledged Avatar to defeat him if his ability to bend is such a non-factor, but I digress.)

It works from a thematic standpoint and it doesn't ruin the finale or anything, it just feels like an asspull from a writing standpoint. Maybe I wouldn't have minded it so much if they had incorporated energybending at all earlier in the series.
>>
>>88832041

This man is right and I'm glad to see this opinion on this site.
>>
Who's the hottest girl across both series?
>>
>>88833315
Elaborate, do you mean the girl from LoA who shows up again in LoK and is still hot, or hottest from the combined casts?
>>
>>88832041
>They could literally just throw him in jail with powers and it wouldn't make a difference.

This is not even slightly true. As long as he was still alive and able to bend there would constantly be Fire Nation uprisings to put him back on the throne. The army probably would not have disbanded in the first place.
>>
>>88833413
Hottest from combined, anyone
>>
>>88833483
Aang()
>>
>>88833507
Woah cmon
>>
>>88832041
>They could literally just throw him in jail with powers and it wouldn't make a difference.

You're assuming they had a jail that could hold him at that point.

And that Aang could get someone to build it for him.
>>
>>88833448
>As long as he was still alive and able to bend there would constantly be Fire Nation uprisings to put him back on the throne
You do realize in the comics said uprising happened regardless of his ability to bend, right?

>>88833575
>You're assuming they had a jail that could hold him at that point
Are you implying they have no way of stop any benders on that world?
>>
>>88832424
>They build up this idea that Aang HAS to kill the firelord in the finale
For me it just looks like they build the idea that his choice was difficult, and not that his choice was wrong.
>>
>>88826078
This show is so NuMale

From the lesbians that fight like men and the emasculated side characters

Seriously wtf?
>>
>>88833575

Stripping of his powers was partially symbolic, like stripping him of his titles and his claim to the throne. The people of the Fire Nation would lose respect for him when they learned that he was stripped of his abilities and that he was going to spend the rest of his life as a weakling in a cell.
>>
>>88833709
It comes from ATLA that every male character is basically useless and women characters are badass. Even Aang, the strongest bender of them all, had to act like an idiot.
>>
>>88833728
Atla was balanced this one was just full on numale
>>
>>88833728
At least katara was a stubborn retarded bitch too
>>
>>88833714
>The people of the Fire Nation would lose respect for him when they learned that he was stripped of his abilities
Not according to the comics, as people rebelled for him. However Ozai do think this is shameful, as he wouldn't even have Zuko if he was a nonbender (the whole 'lucky to be born' thing)
>>
>>88833787
>Atla was balanced
Tell me TWO (2) badass male characters. hard mode: none of the old dudes
>>
>>88833964

Zuko was a whiny brat in the beginning, but he matured into a respectable and competent character with Iroh's help.

Sokka, when he wasn't reduced to being the "comic relief," was a really good strategist and was often the voice of reason when Katara was being stubborn or Aang was acting like a goofy kid.
>>
>>88834046
Rewatching as is and this tbqh.

That said everyone in the show acts like a retard from time to time.
>>
>>88826078
>Is it worth watching Korra or is it irredeemable garbage?

90% of it is garbage, yes. Season 3 is the best of the lot, but that's like picking out the best looking turd from a big bowl of shit.

Zaheer is really the only highlight of the show, if you don't count a large portion of the cast as being extremely fuckable.

It doesn't just tarnish that greatness, it actively rolls it in cajun spices and blackens it in a pan.
>>
>>88834114
Just like people irl. Doing a rewatch as well and the characters are some of the most realistic and well-written in western cartoons and anime in general. Specifically in the end of season one and all of season 2. 3 is kind of meh in due to shoehorned character development in several filler-esque episodes.
>>
>>88834188
Is this an exaggeration or is it that bad? Explain at least a little please

Are you E;R?
>>
>>88834253
If you haven't been in another Korra thread by now, if you are OP, or checked the archive or listened to what people have said so far then you are not even trying.

The explanations for things in LoK's second season actively work against what little we know about the Avatar and answers questions no one wanted answered nor even asked in the first place.
Each season is resolved by a deus ex machina and not even like in classical Greek ways and the like.
Each antagonist is an idiot but they are presented as untouchable but then they have to lose for the good guys to win.
The good guys shouldn't lose three-fourths of the time but end up losing/retreating in order to move the plot along.
Old characters that do come back are terrible.
The primary characters and side characters suck, all of them.
Moments that should be poignant are laced with jokes or questionable animation direction.
Moments that should be lighthearted are tinged with an undercurrent of bad relationships.
Elevated powers and abilities are handed out like candy on Halloween.
Everyone in-universe hates the main character until they don't.
The main character's allies and family actively work against the main character's efforts and development.
And the creators' explanations for certain things come across as death of the author since it wasn't presented in the actual run time of the show.
>>
>>88834046
>matured into a respectable and competent character
>confirmed for not reading the comics

>Sokka, when he wasn't reduced to being the "comic relief," was a really good strategist
He was consistently the comic relief, and not a 'badass' kind of character. Without cheap shots he can't even fight properly.
>>
>>88826078
Korra is fun. Not as good as TLA but the action and animation is beautiful.
>>
>>88834557
Thank you, and yeah this is my first time on co. I'm still gonna watch it but I will likely hate it and drop it
>>
>>88834253
..in ATLA every character had their own motivations. Katara and Sokka really wanted to help end the war, Toph wanted to escape her parents, Zuko was trying to find what he wanted, and so on.. when that motive is challenged, they behave like human beings and defend it; Toph almost got out of the group when they told her she should have responsibility.

in LoK, they just glued the characters together without explaining why. NO ONE in the cast had any motivation to stay with the avatar after season 1. Some of them even stay against motivation or common sense; for example we have Mako, who is basically poor and finally finds a job, and has to put that job aside just to go venturing with the avatar for no reason. We also have Asami, who is busy with her own goddamn industry and for no reason decides to go with the avatar venturing, and even throws some money on that adventure for shits and giggles.

Characterization is the second worst thing in LoK, only 'bested' by the plot, which doesn't make any sense at times.
>>
>>88834668
Will we ever get more good avatar universe?
>>
>>88834659
>I'm still gonna watch it but I will likely hate it and drop it
Good man.
>>
>>88826078
It really let down my expectations after I watched as
soon as I finished rewatching TLA, don't get your hopes up.
>>
>>88834689
Probably not desu
>>
>>88834689
Comics are fine, even if now they are trying to legitimate things that happened in LoK.

Suddenly they started to throw the term 'dark spirits' everywhere, and Aang is suddenly more on the side of the spirits for no reason. It's really better to pretend LoK doesn't exist.
>>
>>88826078
>good things from redditors
I don't really go to reddit. What's the consensus there?
>>
>>88826078
It's worth watching for the fight scenes.
>>
>>88834563
He was the badass normal of the group. Everyone else had superpowers and he had nothing but his wits, yet he was consistently useful and someone the group relied on for leadership and guidance.
>>
>>88835110
Are the comics between ATLA and LOK good?
>>
>>88835518
Seems like they love it and they all rate book 3 of Korra better than any Avatar season. Even though everyone with a brain knows book 2 of Avatar is the best by far and even book one and 3 are better than any Korra season
>>
>>88834689
No. Korra fucked it all up.
>>
>>88836085
When I was last on there I saw that the rose-tinted glasses phase seemed to have passed and they were talking about LoK's problems, even season 3's.
>>
File: vtorzhenie_v_ameriku.jpg (113KB, 350x507px) Image search: [Google]
vtorzhenie_v_ameriku.jpg
113KB, 350x507px
>>88826078
Watch something of better instead.
>>
>>88826078
yes it will
but /co/ is full of whiny manchildren who can't see the forest for the trees
this probably includes you, since you're even asking
fuck /co/ and fuck you
I've never seen a group of faggots wear nostalgia glasses so tightly
>>
>>88836282
What is this shit
>>
>>88836085
>they all rate book 3 better than ATLA
Kek. No one does. Honestly, i think the major opinion is that book 3 is just "the best of LoK", but never even close to ATLA.

People that think it is " better than ATLA" tend to forget how awful the beginning if book 3 was; how convenient it was for Zaheer to get his powers while knowing everything about airbending, how they basically had to shove the characters in since they couldnt think of explanations for them to tag along, and the whole "Korra did nothing wrong" Tenzin tried to make us swallow.

It did get better if you ignore the entire concept of the metal city, but even then it turns to shit again in the end, with plot metal again being used, Bolin lavabending from nothing, and Korra being saved once again.
>>
>>88836648
Here's your reply.
>>
>>88836085
>they love it and they all rate book 3 of Korra better than any Avatar season
Oh, i thought they were reasonable.
>>
File: tumblr_n9t16xL3Tt1qcpwhho1_1280.jpg (160KB, 688x1133px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n9t16xL3Tt1qcpwhho1_1280.jpg
160KB, 688x1133px
more buffness.
>>
>>88838047
>>88837990
If you go look at the threads or whatever the majority rate it that way, which is insane to me but hey. What's your rankings?
>>
The final boss is a gundam
>>
File: 1482357725764.png (313KB, 691x396px) Image search: [Google]
1482357725764.png
313KB, 691x396px
so you retards want to hate korra so much that you are trying to bring down the original too go fuck yourselfs you fucking retards
>>
>>88839814
The original is a classic
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.