[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's be completely honest for a minute here. In the last

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

Let's be completely honest for a minute here.

In the last few decades, what are the most memorable Spider-man stories? One More Day, Reign, Clone Saga, Superior... And what? Those times he showed up in all the crossovers? Besides Miles and Silk what had been added to the Spider-man mythos?

Compare that to Batman, where we've had everything from Dark Knight Returns, Killing Joke, Morrison's Bat-Epic, and even Snyder's Owls. There was an entire book dedicated to standalone stories about the character that wasn't even tied to continuity.

When you look at what fans want from Spider-man, it's always the same- poor nerdy teenager who suffers but is still a superhero. So why is it that universally people only like this ONE element of Spider-man, compared to the diversity of the types of stories people want from Batman or even Superman.

Why is it that Spider-man so badly lacks versatility? Is there some fundamental flaw in the character's concept that prevents him from having meaningful stories written about him?
>>
Superior Spider-Man really wasn't outlandish enough for you? Noticed you didn't even mention Spider-Verse
>>
Back in Black
The Gauntlet
Grim Hunt
Brand New Day
Big Time
Spider-Island
>>
>>88824011
>meaningful stories
Lol.
>>
File: B6nfJZM.gif (996KB, 150x148px) Image search: [Google]
B6nfJZM.gif
996KB, 150x148px
>>88824011
Spider-Man Blue
Back In Black
Torment
Death In The Family
Noir
Death of Jean DeWolff
Kid Who Collects Spider-Man
Kraven's Last Hunt
Maximum Carnage

>When you look at what fans want from Spider-man, it's always the same- poor nerdy teenager who suffers but is still a superhero.

This is objectively wrong and shows how much you're talking out of your own ass. Spider-Fags fucking hate teen Peter with a passion. And it's not that they want Peter to be poor, it's that making him a multi-trillionare is literally the most autistic thing ever. He was progressing as a character just fine when he was well off with a wife, Marvel changed it because they were afraid young people wouldn't relate with him if they continued down that path and Spider-Fags have been bitching about it ever since.
>>
>>88824484

Pretty much this.

Quesada and Straczynski are literal manchildren. For whatever reason, they felt that Spider-man fans were/are incapable of growing as people.

They took the natural, fan-loved relationship of Mary Jane and Peter and literally wrote it out of existence because of Mephisto.

Yes, Mephisto. Oh and to top it off, Mary Jane and Peter both agree to sacrifice their love, memories, and unborn child to save Aunt May, the 90 something year old in Peter's life that should've long since died. I love Aunt May, but at this point her character is baggage.

I mean, it didn't help that OMD road the coattails of the whole Morlun/Ezekiel/Spider-totem shit which basically retconned Peter from unlucky nerd with responsibilities to surprise! He's actually the avatar of a multiversal spider spirit that's being hunted by psychic vampires!1111!!1

Marvel just really picks the worst fucking stories to greenlight when it comes to anything Spidey related.

Need more proof? That well-received Flash Thompson Venom run? Well now Venom's new host is literally a edge lord who just happens to hate everyone for no reason whatsoever.

Cheers, Marvel.
>>
>>88824868
The part that pisses me off to no end though? The fact that Quesada keeps boasting that he saved the Spider-Man franchise. Also, One More Day would have been /really/ good if it ended after Peter went to Strange and realized there was nothing to do, an entire arc dedicated to Peter accepting that his Aunt will die from unnatural causes would have been remembered dearly by the fans, but of course, what's integrity to a franchise? Gotta keep Quesada's self-insert single somehow.
>>
>>88824011
Because Spiderman works best as he was in Ultimate, a teenager who does spider shit.

They COULD have had something good with Spiderman being married to MJ and having that kind of life, but that was fucked so hard that we'll never get it recovered.

Also Batman has stagnated more than any other this decade.
>>
>>88825097
>Because Spiderman works best as he was in Ultimate

Stopped reading there, the only reason why people think Ultimate was good is because Bendis just copy pasted all the good stories from 616, but made it bland. 616 Spider-Man is definitive up until OMD, and fuck Marvel for continually trying to push hip young teen Parker.
>>
>>88825146
Ultimate Spiderman was new, since 616 parker grew up REALLY fast. He was in college during his most memorable stories.

I hate Ultimate for bringing Bendis fame, but it was good. It was nice seeing MJ being Pete's buddy and in on the secret. I liked Pete and Eddie having a childhood connection and the venom symbiote being related to their dads.
>>
>>88825207
Peter /had/ to grow up fast though. He doesn't work best as a character in highschool, which Bendis left in, doing the stuff I said in my previous post. Parallel Lives introduced a much more interesting aspect to MJ where she was the one who was kipping the secret from Peter. Also, the symbiote thing being a science experiment of Peter's dad really seems like a major cop out and makes the universe seem small.
>>
Teenage Parker and, especially, high school era were always boring to me. I'll give them credit for setting everything up but the truly great stories came later.

Self-conscious nerd Parker was much less interesting when compared to confident college Parker and 20-something ladies man living in the city. Even married Parker has a lot of gems.

Things didn't really go sour until the mid-90's with unending clone storyline. Then they kept retooling him in an attempt to fix him. He was aged up, made a widower but she's alive anyway, pregnant MJ, lost the baby, separated, Aunt May died but not really, became a school teacher, Gwen came back, nope clone but she slept with Norman and now there is Gwen-Goblin children, spider-totem, joined Avengers, Aunt May targeted again, revealed identity, marriage sold to devil, joined F4, body taken over by Doc Ock, dates a dwarf, dates a seemingly endless amount of boring generic women, etc.

Just endless amounts of plot threads half heartedly started and abandoned. Paradigm shifts that are made by man children fanboys-turned writers/editors. Worst of all an editor that freely admits that sales are better when people are angry...and the rest of you keep buying and proving him right.
>>
>>88825578
I liked the dynamic that ultimate Spidey had with ultimate Eddie, but I'll admit the symbiote thing was a bit convenient.
>>
>>88824868
So what you're saying is that Spider-man is bad, and Spider-man fans love garbage.

I mean, if everything related to the character is bad, and all his stories are bad, how can you justify saying he's good?
>>
>>88825720
Did you even read anons post? He said everything was good up until OMD, you know, when they actually treated Peter as a character instead of some Archie Andrews adolescent that wasn't allowed to grow.
>>
>>88824011
>I don't actually read comics: the super long winded post
>>
>>88825772
>Or pay attention to the fan bases I'm bitching about.
>>
Slott's entire run has been good to great, /co/ just hates. it
>>
>>88825097
hell they could even keep the name and have it that all Strange can offer is exactly that, One More Day. That he has a spell which would let Peter, MJ and May share a dream of a perfect day together. Do all those things with May they kept putting off because of work and heroing and the war, say all the things they'd regret never saying, give all three of them closure and when they wake up, Aunt May died with a smile on her face.
>>
>>88825808
It has ranged from terrible to mediocre, with maybe one or two good stories.
>>
>>88825816
Honestly, probably would have been one of the most meaningful deaths in comics if they went along this path. Propper sad if they didn't use any words in the last couple pages and just let the art speak for itself.
>>
>>88824131
/thread
>>
Teenage nerd Parker discovers 4chan
>>
>>88824868
the whole thing with keeping aunt may alive is bullshit

i mean, may probably would have told him to let go of her, she was old anyway and would die naturally. its fucking peter that couldn't let go. shit, if may knew what he gave up to save her, she would fucking tear into him to hard.

fuck, im sure ben was shaking his head at that shit too.
>>
>>88824868
Yo, don't rope Stranczynski into that shit. He hated OMD and almost Alan Smithee'd his name off of it. Quesada made him do that garbage.

He was responsible for some great Spider-Man stories, and made Mary Jane and Peter seem like a real relationship and not just self-insert fap bait.
>>
>>88825720
>everything related to the character
>the character's stories

Neither of these things are the character.
>>
>>88825808
alright, let me set my hateboner for Slott Machine aside.

Big Time was, by and large, good. Peter getting his science on in a lab and trying out new gadgets and then finding ways to convert those gadgets into things people actually needed? that was good.
BUT it also had Slott spitting on Black Cat and showing he never read their original romance. and the whole 'point' was to push Peter into dating a really crappy OC of Slott's that had the personality of soggy oats.
Furthermore, 'No One Dies' was a complete swing and a miss of a concept. It was such a juvenile thing for a character that he's trying to depict as reaching the apex of his career.
peter being in the Future Foundation? Kinda neat, but it frankly made Horizon Labs feel completely redundant.
Spider-Island? a fairly solid story but Anti-Venom was 'sacrificed' for retarted reasons and Julia was useless for arbitrary reasons and the whole 'the prophecy was actually about Kaine' felt pretty pointless when Peter has often bent his no-kill rule when it came to giant city-destroying monsters.

and Spider-Island, I think, is when Slot stopped caring about being a storytelling and started caring more about setting the new record for writing Spidey the longest.

Earth's End was a drag that hinged on everyone being retarded and only happened to set up the next arc.

Superior was fun at first but became a drag the second SpOck deleted Peter's memories and hinged on everyone being retarded.

and in the current Parker Industries stuff, Slott sort of glances at potential meaningful plotlines but doesn't think of anything to do with them so moves onto the next one, hinges on everyone being retarded, and all it managed to accomplish was make Peter look even more like an idiot manchild than ever before while barely setting up Clone Conspiracy III
>>
>>88824131
This

Let's not forget:

Superior
Death of Jean DeWolfe
Death of the Stacys
Spider-Man No More
The (Original) Final Chapter
The Alien Costume
Spider-man Blue
Those First 4 Straczynski Trades
All of Ultimate
>>
I basically consider Spidey's entire run from his inception into the late 80s to range between "Great" and "at least readable"

I don't think that about Batman. I mean for one thing he's been in a lot more books because he's the DC Comics superstar, but beyond that, I ain't really got much love for silver age pre-O'Neil shit. Fuck all that.

And fuck Snyder too All Star Batman is the first shit he's written starring Bruce that's been even half decent. His run with Dick as Batman was pretty good though.
>>
Decades? Plural? Lots of stuff in the 80's is sloppy but still really good. 88-93 is pretty good. Some of clone saga is good too...... god damn did they fuck up the ending.

Identify crisis is extreme 90's new character fun, but done well.
>>
>>88826685
>dick grayson as batman was actually different than bruce, his and damien's relationship was cool, and the villain's reactions to him were very interesting
>goes back to being nightwing after ~10 issues and bruce is batman again
Fuck. DC.
>>
>peter parker and
>first result is still mary jane
feels good man
>>
>>88826102
This. JMS literally worked to get MJ and Peter back together and repair their marriage, so implying he would want to undo his own work is silly.
>>
>>88827043
Google Search algorithms can be payed off. Just wait till the movie comes out, Disney will make them change it.
>>
>>88827122
modern fans are retarded but you have to be insane to think peter x new oc will ever top peter and mj unless the oc turns out to be mj
>>
File: 4tergerd.png (14KB, 859x222px) Image search: [Google]
4tergerd.png
14KB, 859x222px
>>88827043
google alters its results according to your search and browsing history
>>
>>88825720
So what you're saying is you have reading comprehension problems.
>>
>>88827192
Okay, let me rewrite it.

>peter parker and mary jane is tons of their comic moments and history together and is still second on the list
>peter parker and gwen stacy is just andrew garfield and emma stone
>>
>>88827134
I was implying Disney would buy them off.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170102-143831.png (150KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170102-143831.png
150KB, 1080x1920px
>>88827043
I beg to disagree. MJ for life, however.
>>
>>88826162
Don't forget how bad Spider-Verse was.
>>
>>88828458
I love how Slott accidentally spared TAS Peter, due to him not doing enough research to find out that TAS and Unlimited were two different continuities.
>>
>>88828483
To be fair though he probably thought that because Spider-Man Unlimited references the 1994 show (the story about how the Venom suit came to Earth), and there's really nothing that couldn't have said that Peter found MJ, MJ finally learns he's Spider-Man and they get married, prior to Spider-Man Unlimited.

Strangest thing I found while googling:

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/spider-man-and-spider-man-unlimited-linked.3405201/

>Actually, there was a Wizard magazine that had a short blurb from the directors of Spider-Man Unlimited. I think I remember them saying that the show takes place some time in between the "Six Forgotten Warriors" arc and "The Secret Wars" arc. They also planned to have Spider-Man eventually find his way back to Earth by rebuilding the space shuttle.

>It's pretty surprising, too, since that would mean the Mary Jane seen with Peter in the show's pilot is actualy the fake MJ.

>Actually, I wasn't that far off. I just found the issue (Wizard #97, page 78).

>"[Spider-Man] Unlimited" fits into continuity during the time Mary Jane and Peter were engaged [in Spider-Man, the Animated Series]."

Of course, this doesn't work since Peter said he got the nanosuit from Reed, and he didn't meet the Fantastic Four till Secret Wars. So the only way Unlimited would work linked to the 1994 show is if it took place after it.
>>
File: smf_01_0019.jpg (1MB, 1280x2010px) Image search: [Google]
smf_01_0019.jpg
1MB, 1280x2010px
>>88824011
Spider-Man: Fever.
>>
>>88828573
Or if you want, you can imagine that Spider-Man Unlimited took place where the director says, and imagine that in the Spider-Man Unlimited universe, Spider-Man already met the Fantastic Four before Secret Wars.
>>
>>88826162
but his Spider-Man/Human Torch mini is gold
>>
>>88828573

Some how Venom and Carnage got free of being in another dimension too? It just doesn't fit in continuity.
>>
>>88830451
I don't think they gave it much thought.
>>
File: 22 Kopie.jpg (849KB, 1280x1966px) Image search: [Google]
22 Kopie.jpg
849KB, 1280x1966px
>>88829935
it was silver, let's be honest
>>
File: brendan_spideyfever_202.jpg (250KB, 750x1175px) Image search: [Google]
brendan_spideyfever_202.jpg
250KB, 750x1175px
>>88828590
yeaaah boi
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.