[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comic costumes impossible (or damn near impossible) to adapt/translate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 19

File: Green_Goblin_Poster_01.png (1MB, 1079x1173px) Image search: [Google]
Green_Goblin_Poster_01.png
1MB, 1079x1173px
It seems like green, yellow, and especially purple costumes are the hardest to do. Take pic related for instance, how do you make this look good? It rides the fine line between tacticool and halloween costume
>>
Give us exactly this Alex Ross design for him and but without the skin tight legs.
Have the mask look ultra realistic & horrifying so Peter questions if it is even a mask.
>>
File: ggconceptalexross-1324070792.jpg (64KB, 700x572px) Image search: [Google]
ggconceptalexross-1324070792.jpg
64KB, 700x572px
>>88819411
>>
>>88819363
>tfw we almost got actual green faced costume wearing Green Goblin played by Willem DeFoe
it still hurts
>>
File: gre.jpg (162KB, 1500x1004px) Image search: [Google]
gre.jpg
162KB, 1500x1004px
It really wouldn't be that hard to do in live action

What would be hard to do is explain how he has a mask that perfectly fits to his face rather than looking like a floppy mask
>>
>>88819468
Cant we do a mix of Ultimate and 616? Like instead of the mask, its a full on mutation, but still have the glider/gear? MCU is already a mishmash of incarnations anyway.
>>
>>88819468
>>88819490
They tempted that slightly in ASM2 but didn't take it far enough.
>>
>>88819468
Shorten ears, darken green, make the eyes a bit smaller and glow and give a hood instead of whatever that crap is on his head and this would be perfect.
>>
>>88819490

I still enjoy the solid mask like in the Raimi movie.

Though it probably won't look nearly as good without Defoe under it.
>>
File: Green Goblin Wallpaper.png (68KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Green Goblin Wallpaper.png
68KB, 1366x768px
>>88819603
Damn right they didnt. It was half assed at best. The costume needs purple to break up the green, and again, too much armor. Also I dont know what the fuck they were thinking with that hair and that makeup. If you're going to mutant Norman/Harry, do it like >>88819468
and have like a Jekyll/Hyde thing going like Dafoe did. Its the better option than the Halloween mask
>>
>>88819363
I don't think that would be impossible to pull off. Something like this pic seems doable at least for the mask.
>>
File: batman_beyond_by_wyv1-d5xcq6e.jpg (87KB, 900x1286px) Image search: [Google]
batman_beyond_by_wyv1-d5xcq6e.jpg
87KB, 900x1286px
>>88819363
I mean you can argue Black Panther translated the "all-black" suit into a live adaption and did it well first.

But I don't know about Batman Beyond. Every time I see a "fan" iteration of the suit, most people will say don't change the simplicity, over designed, remove the dumb blue lines, etc. Also the mouth.

Arkham City kinda did it but the eyes were too spread apart.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (127KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
127KB, 1920x1200px
>>88819747
>>
File: M'Baku.png (4MB, 2550x1960px) Image search: [Google]
M'Baku.png
4MB, 2550x1960px
>>88819747
I think if you do something within the vein of Black Panther, it would look fine. But like you said, people keep adding needless shit to it. Also speaking of Black Panther and costumes impossible to translate.....
>>
>>88819702
>The costume needs purple to break up the green, and again, too much armor.
Now that I don't agree with the outfit looked fucking badass, the face was the only problem.
>>
>>88819631
There was a purple hat on it like in OP, the black sock is just covering wires and such.
>>
File: The-Rock-As-Hercules-War-Scene.jpg (135KB, 899x614px) Image search: [Google]
The-Rock-As-Hercules-War-Scene.jpg
135KB, 899x614px
>>88819791
>Also speaking of Black Panther and costumes impossible to translate.....
>>
>>88819791
I don't see why.
It's just a jacked black guy wearing a Gorilla hyde.
It's probably the easiest since it's really easy to recreate and easy to explain in real life.
>>88819747
>>88819768
I feel like they should go with a cg costume. Try not to make it look like something that correlates to real life. It's an impossible nanotech suit and we have the technology to make him look like a pure black shadow man, let's just do it.
>>
>>88819839
Anon it was basically HALO armor with a glider, we can do a lot better.
>>88819857
>>88819902
Honestly for M'Baku make it like the opposite of T'Challa's suit only with a gorilla theme. Have it white with silver accents, covering the entire body, and cover the exposed face too
>>
File: image.jpg (424KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
424KB, 1920x1080px
>>88819768
Which does /co/ prefer.
>>
File: 731221.jpg (252KB, 600x922px) Image search: [Google]
731221.jpg
252KB, 600x922px
>>88819363

Hobgoblin is the superior version anyways
>>
>>88819954
Why would you do that it'd look nothing like M'baku's actual suit even in tone.
>>
>>88819966
The first but only because this one is so awful.
>>
File: IMG_2162.jpg (196KB, 900x1366px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2162.jpg
196KB, 900x1366px
>>88819994
This guy gets it
>>
>>88820024
I guess to have a cultural similarity? Either that or a gorilla themed power suit. Plus you know, "bad guy with similar shtick as the hero" thing. Personally just slapping a gorilla pelt on him just wouldnt work for me.
>>
>>88819427
NOW THIS IS PODRACING
>>
>>88819747
>the mouth
That's an issue to me live action or not. Makes him look more like an alien than a guy in a mask.
>>
>>88819768
Looks like that swole version of Garfield.
>>
>>88819966
This is an over-designed mess and I'm not sure what they were thinking after rendering the Beyond suit pretty much perfectly in City, the mask in particular looks stupid to me.
>>
The studios are adapting a comic book. They should stick with the original look.
Yes we're so used to adaptations of costumes with leather, and kevlar and armor and pads and such, that not going that route might seem ridiculous, but why not stick with the original? If they went in with a serious attitude, instead of a sly nod and wink to the audience ("yellow spandex", the USO suit for Captain America, etc)People might actually be able to pull it off.
The Reeve Superman movies did it.
>>
>>88819468
This mask looks awful and anyone who says otherwise is a contrarian
>>
>>88819966

Neither. That one is too bulky and convoluted and >>88819768 is too simple for a realistic iteration. It's fine for a cartoon or some manner of illustrated take.

>>88819747's is a balance of the two. Not too simplistic, but not too cluttered.
>>
>>88819468
>What would be hard to do is explain how he has a mask that perfectly fits to his face rather than looking like a floppy mask

Why was the military developing super armor that looked like a goblin
>>
>>88819954
>Honestly for M'Baku make it like the opposite of T'Challa's suit only with a gorilla theme. Have it white with silver accents, covering the entire body, and cover the exposed face too
This.

Just translating M'Baku's suit as it is in the comics would never work. It'd look awkward and stupid in live action.

MAYBE if it were just the pelt draped on his head, with the rest of it flowing as a cape, with the rest of his costume being a suit unconnected to it. Either/or would be fine but the former would probably be a lot better.
>>
>>88820338
Wasn't it just the flight suit and glider? He added the mask didn't he?
>>
File: MCU Vulture close up.png (892KB, 1363x609px) Image search: [Google]
MCU Vulture close up.png
892KB, 1363x609px
>>88820254
Because having Vulture in a actual green bird costume would look fucking retarded anon. Frankly what we got is pretty damn good
>>
>>88820274
>guy disagrees with consensus and proceeds to call it contrarian
Okay there pal, you're the authority I guess.
>>
>>88820254
>The Reeve Superman movies did it.

Because superman is one of the few superheroes who can get away with it. He's nigh indestructible/invulnerable and it's not an eyesore as a real costume. Characters like Wolverine or Batman can't get away with that. Batman needs to wear body armor because he's just a regular human. Wolverine because his costume us just outrageously silly when not on paper.
>>
>>88819994
>>88820046
Has he ever been the main focus on some run? I like his concept and would be nice to read more of him
>>
>>88820254
>The Reeve Superman movies did it.
And that was campy silly garbage.
>>
>>88820064
Do we really need the bad guy is a dark reflection of the hero again ? It's getting really uninteresting, or it was by the time Iron Man 2 rolled around.
>>
>>88820379
>Wolverine
Whoa there anon! Im not saying it would be easy by any means, but seeing Wolverines actual costume on screen has always been a dream of mine and I think it just might work given a few tweaks.
>>
>>88820379
But Batman has been wearing a variety of non-armored suits in movies.
>>
>>88820462
Not a fan of the protective pieces there, doesn't work with how the character treats confrontation either.
>>
>>88820450
No, but I would at least want M'Baku's costume to be similar in the sense that it looks Wakandan.
>>
>>88820524
Wakandan all wear monochrome one-pieces ?
>>
>>88820366
I really like this suit but I like it much more as an original idea. Shame it's being used for a villain in a Spider-Man movie. I'd love to see something like this in something weirder, like a Guillermo del Toro movie or something.
>>
>>88820462
If they did like First Class' suits, but turned the blue into brown, darkened the yellow and still kept that dumb-ugly mask omitted, it might could work.
>>
>>88820554
High tech with a hint of African heritage
>>
>>88820478
>But Batman has been wearing a variety of non-armored suits in movies.

The only movies where he didn't wear body armor as far as I know is West-bats and Batffleck. Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney and Bale's iterations all wore body armor.
>>
>>88820717
But the mask really brings it together. I'm not saying it's practical but is Cap's mask either?
>>
>>88820046

I can't believe that's not Frazer Irving. Very similar style.
>>
File: wolverine-costume.jpg (38KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
wolverine-costume.jpg
38KB, 600x450px
>>88820717
they tried to do that in that one wolverine movie but fagged out at the last second because I forgot why. Have a pic of the actual costume they made on display.
>>
>>88820753
>Batffleck
his suit was armored. did you even watch the movie? they shot him in the head point blank multiple times and tried to knife him.
>>
File: AmazingSpider-Man275.jpg (165KB, 486x738px) Image search: [Google]
AmazingSpider-Man275.jpg
165KB, 486x738px
>>88820382

He was Spider-Man's arch-foe throughout the 80s. But, like everything in comics his real identity was extended to the point that when he was actually revealed it was more a, "Meh" and Venom was just on the horizon.

Then it depends on who you are a fan of cause if you're a fan of the original. Then his appearances were basically in Spider-Man comics only (with only showing up in an issue of Power Pack).

The Macendale version was EVERYWHERE. Sleepwalker. Darkhawk. Ghost Rider. Moon Knight. If there was a hero in the 90s they probably fought this Hobgoblin and beat him.

Though to be fair his best incarnation was one he was possessed by an actual demon then lol 90s he got split off and the demon became the Demogoblin.

But that's the grand problem of the Macendale version. He always jobbed and even when a writer half-assed him into being a threat he still looked like a loser.

Why an editor on the Spidey books went back to the character's creator, Roger Stern and was like, "You wanna reveal the original Hobgoblin as you envisioned?" Stern agreed and what followed was a retcon used with A TON of lore from the Spidey comics.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (13KB, 300x239px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
13KB, 300x239px
>>88820768
>But the mask really brings it together.

On paper or animation it does. In live action, it's what breaks it.

> I'm not saying it's practical but is Cap's mask either?
Yes.
>>
>>88820864
>hey tried to do that in that one wolverine movie but fagged out at the last second because I forgot why.

Because it looks terrible?
>>
>>88820864
Teasing it hurts more than never showing it
>>
>>88820753
That's not what body armor is.
>>
File: Annoyance4.jpg (166KB, 518x800px) Image search: [Google]
Annoyance4.jpg
166KB, 518x800px
>>88820900

So when you're looking for runs you read anything involving the original by Stern (Amazing #238-239, 244-245, 249-251 plus Spectacular Spider-Man #85).

Macendale's run begins where the original "ends" in Amazing #289. He becomes a demon in Spectacular Spider-Man #147. His run as the Hobgoblin ends with Hobgoblin Lives #1 when the original returns to take out his successor.

Then he's revealed to be Roderick Kingsley who's kept the moniker (the most known of the two is Phil Urich who went on to become the "Goblin Knight").
>>
>>88820929
Fair enough. Which by the way, bucket helmet+mask was a good way to go. I don't know, normally I'm on the boat that agrees that a lot of masks/costumes would look fucking dumb in person, but for some odd reason I can't let Wolverines go.
>>
>>88820948
Looks fine, these movies are made for children and manchildren....no "mature" audiences are into this shit and never will be, they might as well cater to their audience
>>
>>88821017
Plenty of mature people indulge in childish activities from time to time.
>>
>>88821009
>>88820900
Many thanks mate, that's the kind of info I was looking for
>>
>>88820864
I remember hearing the reason was test audiences hated it. Test audiences seem to ruin a lot of things in films.
>>
>>88821221
"Test audiences" are just bullshit statistics that enable producers to get what they want. So yeah some suit got weirded out by the comic thing, and he came up with this data that made the film worse. Like it always does
>>
>>88820382
>>88820900
>>88821009
The Stern run was my favorite Spidey run of all time and the Hobgoblin was the life blood of it all.

The ever entangling mystery of his identity was a highlight but, for me, the best aspect was that the story was being told from the villain's point of view. This was the first time, to my knowledge, that we were watching the origin and daily planning unfold as told by the villain. We watched him design his identity, we heard him muse on Norman's failings, we were privy to his insecurities after his first near defeat. It was cutting edge stuff in the 80's and criminally underrated. He was always one step ahead of Parker and he pragmatic and reasonable in his approach.

When Stern was fired the editors had no idea what to do with Hobby, so they just kept stretching out the stories that Stern had set up...which became dull quick. How many false Hobgoblins did we end up? Then they killed him off and gave the mantle to Macendale...then he was a complete jobber for over a decade. Demogoblin, cyber-hobgoblin, etc. It was a sweet reward when Stern came back and the revelation that the real Hobgoblin had simply outsmarted Spidey and literally retired to an island paradise was brilliant.

Hobgoblin was a better antagonist than Norman ever was.
>>
>>88820366

So the Vulture's using a version of the Falcon's wing suit right? The only difference seems to be that it's a much bigger and powerful wing suit.
>>
File: falcon_hero.png (327KB, 1081x807px) Image search: [Google]
falcon_hero.png
327KB, 1081x807px
>>88821412
>So the Vulture's using a version of the Falcon's wing suit right?

If rumors are to be believed, Vulture's suit IS the Falcon's wingpack that was confiscated after Leipzig. Somehow he somehow stole and modified it with Chitauri tech.

But that's if rumors are to be believed.
>>
>>88819427
Anyone else getting Freddy Kruger vibes from Gobby's face? I like it.
>>
>>88820338
>that looked like a goblin

To strike fear into the enemies.

There are tons and tons of militar practices based on appearing imponent in the eyes of the enemy.
>>
>>88821370

> How many fake Hobgoblins did we end up/

Just two originally. Lefty Donovan and Flash Thompson. Ned Leeds was only added to the list when Stern used the flaws of the reveal to his favor in revealing it was Kingsley who truly was the original Hobgoblin.

Now the character is probably in his darkest period. He's being written by Hopeless.
>>
>>88821794
>Impotent
Yeah it's real embarrassing when you cant get it up before slaying your enemy. Norman does strike me as the guy who's fully erect when throwing pumpkin bombs or killing a blonde chick
>>
>>88819363
>It rides the fine line between tacticool and halloween costume

But it's SUPPOSED to look like a Halloween costume.

That's the whole point of the character. Norman went crazy.> The kind of crazy that specifically ENJOYS being a cackling madman.

Thus, he decided the best way to get what he wants while enjoying himself to the fullest is to dress up in a literal halloween-themed cartoon monster costume and terrorize people while laughing like an idiot and throwing literal exploding Jack O' Lanterns at them.

The Sam Raimi version absolutely could have worn a more "deliberately halloween" costume, Dafoe and the dialogue were already 100% there on the "enjoys being a loon" scale, there was no reason for them to chicken the fuck out on the outfit and try to make it a fucking suit of power armor.
>>
>>88819363
I think if OP's pic was wearing some actual pants, that'd be a totally doable costume live action. In terms of the the mask, I think you'd have to go like Davy Jones, with on set motion capture, and then put the mask in in post.

Or just do what I wanted in the first Raimi movie, and have Norman fly through a laundry line and get stuck in a purple sheet.
>>
>>88820039
>>88820168
While I completely agree the knight costume looks like trash, I understand the design challenges involved with the face-cloth bullshit. Knight started in-game rendering cutscenes so they could use costume-swaps in them, which meant BB needed some kind of visible mouth or it would severely impact those scenes,
>>
>>88819468
>What would be hard to do is explain how he has a mask that perfectly fits to his face rather than looking like a floppy mask

Simple. Go the Ultimate route.

It isn't a mask, but a Jekyll and Hyde style transformation.
>>
>>88820338
The helmet wasn't in the original design. Osborn made it for his persona.
>>
>>88819966

The first one is better, but the second one has a better solution for the "Mouth".
>>
>>88819363
Green Goblin's costume is ridiculous in comics as well.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.