[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get more into artsy, hipster, underground, alternative,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

File: 81IPOjP2CdL.jpg (273KB, 1775x1387px) Image search: [Google]
81IPOjP2CdL.jpg
273KB, 1775x1387px
I want to get more into artsy, hipster, underground, alternative, or whatever you want to call them comics. Are there any nice infographs? Most of them sound very samey from the blurb "Striking visual sensibility, singular style, wonderfully absurd!" and I don't know creators well enough for names to have any merit. Should I just treat them as art books and buy the ones that look pretty and hope the story stands as an afterthought?
>>
File: IMG_5367.png (2MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5367.png
2MB, 750x1334px
>>88817523

There's famous stuff like:
>Maus
>Hate
>Our cancer year
>Megahex
>Epilepsy

Just go to your bookstore (not a LCS), to the comic/graphic novel section and see what looks good.
Read reviews from newspapers.
Lastly start taking chances on random comic books with no names, like this comic in pic related which is about a twisted version of Superman that becomes an atom bomb and his kryptonite is literally shit.
>>
>>88817523
if you want to branch out you have to stop being a pussy and just read what's out there if it looks interesting, your taste over time will just have to develop
you'll start following creators which can lead you to other creators and so forth
>>
>>88817790
It's harder to find weird stuff in person and randomly browsing on Amazon is a gamble. Like Jim Woodring is one of my favorites and I have never seen one of his books at either book or comic stores, for example.

Any tips? Like with regular books, there are plenty of red flags when reading descriptions that it won't be something you're interested in, but I'm having a lot more trouble with comics. Or is it really just 'buy whatever, hope for the best?' Granted, comics certainly aren't THAT expensive, but it'd be nice to be able to focus a bit.
>>
What you should honestly do is not come to /co/ for recommendations on comics like these.

Use The Comics Journal as your central hub for news and reviews of comics outside the mainstream.
>>
>>88818086
That sounds like fantastic advice. Didn't know about The Comics Journal, so that should help a whole lot, thanks.
>>
File: multiple_warheads.jpg (191KB, 650x661px) Image search: [Google]
multiple_warheads.jpg
191KB, 650x661px
A few "indie" comics I like, in no particular order:
Love&Rockets (Hernandez brothers): The art isn't particularly special, but fits quite well with the story. It's about Latinos living in the US (Locas) or close to the frontier (Palomar)
Chris Ware's work: Experimental art, depressing stories
Black Hole (Charles Burns): Art relatively similar to Love&Rockets, the story focuses on adolescence, sexual awakening and that kind of stuff
Multiple Warheads (Brandon Graham): It follows a couple during a road-trip in a fantasy/scifi/post-apo world (see pic)
Epileptic (David B.): Autobiographic story of the author and in particular how epilepsy changed his brother
Moebius' work: Experimental, the stories don't necessarily make sense. A lot of people in the comics industry esteem his work
>>
>>88818086
This, though you can find recs on shelf/recent purchase threads from some anon.
TCJ has a weekly column of new releases, whose author is on a comic podcast Comic Books Are Burning in Hell.
Inkstuds is another podcast that features mostly alternative comic creators.
Then there is The Comics Reporter.
Hooded Utilitarian had at times some worthwhile stuff like the Top 115 comics poll from different comic creators and critics.
>>
File: BSR-cover.jpg (2MB, 785x1075px) Image search: [Google]
BSR-cover.jpg
2MB, 785x1075px
>>
>>88818297
Oh and the defunct Comics Comics and Jog the Blog are good sources. Certain stuff from the old Robot 6. Factual Opinion also had articles in the post but now mostly hosts podcasts.
As well as Comics & Cola.
>>
I'd recommend the original underground and alternative comics like Zap, Weirdo, and Raw
>>
File: 51v+H-xUaTL.jpg (40KB, 445x500px) Image search: [Google]
51v+H-xUaTL.jpg
40KB, 445x500px
>>88819438
>350 american dollars
Too bad I missed Christmas
>>
File: bitter2.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
bitter2.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>88819328
Holy fuck, the pictures on the publisher's website for this book are just some guy photographing it on a picnic table. He's even got a hipster flannel shirt on. I think I found a winner.
>>
>>88817523
I love Michael Deforge. If you like him, I would also suggest checking out Jesse Jacobs.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.