[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Once I finish Claremont's X-Men run should I just jump to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: early-new-x-men_5689.jpg (38KB, 350x250px) Image search: [Google]
early-new-x-men_5689.jpg
38KB, 350x250px
Once I finish Claremont's X-Men run should I just jump to New X-Men or are there any great 90s stories to read? I heard David's X-Factor run is good.
>>
See which comics your favorite characters are going to and check those out, see if they're any good. Some are and some aren't, whatever you decide.
>>
>>88783276
There's plenty of good '90s stuff though most of it will be in the ancillary books. The main stuff is perfectly readable up through the end of Age of Apocalypse; your choice whether you want to read stuff like Operation: Zero Tolerance but everything after that, at the latest, should be avoided. Kelly and Seagle's runs got killed before they could start and most of it is a lot of editorial re-writing to the point where they shouldn't even be credited as the writers. Then you get Alan Davis to finish off the '90s and none of that is good either.

The side books are where it's at. PAD X-Factor is good but abandon ship after he leaves. X-Force is pretty good the whole way through but jump off when Ellis comes on for Counter-X. Generation X is great sans Hama's run. Deadpool is great of course. No clue about Cable or X-Man since I haven't read much of their solos. Same with Excalibur though I know Ellis wrote that for a while which is where he introduced his self-insert Pete Wisdom and took Kitty's virginity.
>>
>>88785406
Wait, Warren Ellis wrote a story about him having sex with Kitty?
>>
>>88785406
But Ellis is great. Is he just not good at writing X-Men?
>>
>>88785493
When Ellis was writing Excalibur, he introduced Pete Wisdom who was, unsurprisingly, your typical Ellis character that he may or may not self-insert as: snarky, cynical, cigarette smoking too cool for school type. He hooked up with Kitty despite being in his 30s and Kitty being anywhere from like 16-18 at the time and eventually Wisdom took her virginity.

>>88785514
Ellis' Counter-X stuff was him "writing" some of the lower books with co-writers i.e. he likely gave plot outlines and the co-writers did the actual writing as it seems to go with comics. X-Man was with Steven Grant and involved him becoming a shaman, X-Force was with Ian Edginton and did the whole "black ops superhero team" thing that always sucks, Generation X was with Brian Wood and was the good ol' "let's fuck up the teenage characters" story. Ellis "left" after the first arcs, the books continued for a while until X-Man and GenX were cancelled, Milligan and Allred took over X-Force for a little bit and then it was cancelled and relaunched as X-Statix.

No clue about X-Man but GenX starts with an edgy juvenile detention story and is pretty shit. The followup/flashback story involving Adrienne Frost his pretty good though as are the character focus issues afterwards. X-Force's is just complete shit.
>>
File: bill_badlands.png (3MB, 1384x999px) Image search: [Google]
bill_badlands.png
3MB, 1384x999px
There is stuff whether it be other Claremont like New Mutants with Sienkewicz

Where you go after that all depends on what parts of X-Books you like
>>88785904
I find going back to a lot of the Ellis stuff I liked hard because it all just reads like science fiction magazines mixed with really shallow self inserts.
>>
>>88785904
just because a guy thinks a certain type of character is cool, it doesn't mean they're a self-insert.
>>
>>88783276
Holy hannah, that Storm. I miss that outfit.
>>
File: exc14p08.jpg (94KB, 311x450px) Image search: [Google]
exc14p08.jpg
94KB, 311x450px
>>88783276
>or are there any great 90s stories to read
ExcaliburExcaliburExcaliburExcaliburExcaliburExcaliburExcaliburExcalibur
>>
>>88783276
Alan Davis writing Excalibur. He actually spent most his run tying up loose ends from Claremont's X-Men.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.