[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has Civil War 2 actually surpassed Ultimatum and "won"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 27

File: Ultimatum vs CWII.jpg (729KB, 1940x1350px) Image search: [Google]
Ultimatum vs CWII.jpg
729KB, 1940x1350px
Has Civil War 2 actually surpassed Ultimatum and "won" the title of Worst Marvel Event?
>>
>>88777422
Nah, Ultimatum is literally moldy shit
But CWII is probably the worst in the main continuity lately
>>
Civil War 2 had really good art at least
>>
>>88777422
No. Absolutely not. I don't think you quite understand how bad Ultimatum is. If you judge purely on quality and not its effect on the universe at large, I'd say Age of Ultron was worse than CWII so CWII isn't even Bendis' worst event.

Civil War II is comparable to Secret Wars II. Which still means it's among the worst events of all time, but not "the" worst.
>>
>>88777422

Not worst

But considering Iron Man's side is meant to be the technically correct, but in reality flawed, side, it fucking falls apart as both sides are terrible, with Marvel's being worse somehow (at least in my opinion).

How do you end up with a civil war scenario when Tony is 'right', especially the way he is written? You usually have to bring in some insane version of Reed Richards to make him look reasonable.
>>
What about Fear Itself?
>>
>>88778099
People exaggerate Fear Itself. Fear Itself was mainly hated because it was 7 months long and the plot moved so slowly. The premise wasn't that bad, but it took forever for things to happen because they create the Mighty and beat the Worthy in the last issue
>>
>>88777422
Not nearly that bad. I was personally more insulted by half the final issue being literally nothing but advertisements for more events but I never cared much for the Ultimate universe and as a whole it's not nearly as bad as Ultimatum. That event is practically on a level of it's own in terms of shit.
>>
>>88777422
CWII didn't anhhilate 616's hopes of ever being good again.
>>
>>88777422
Hulk & Rhodey will at least come back.
>>
File: Atlantis_Attacks.jpg (77KB, 323x500px) Image search: [Google]
Atlantis_Attacks.jpg
77KB, 323x500px
>>88777422
>Worst Marvel Event
Ahh, young'ins these days...
>>
>>88778099
Fear Itself was great, I recall people liking it alot as it came out and only started hating it after the fact.
Fantastic art.
Focus on Steve & Thor's mythos which is rare and a nice change of pace after the past several Steve/Tony focused events.
Some really great fight scenes and the Invincible Iron Man tie in was good.

Its only flaws was a rushed conclusion/Absurd number of tie ins/Big meaningful death with Bucky that was undone in the epilogue.,
>>
Ultimatum wasn't that bad...
>Killed off fuck tons of people
>Changed the shape of the universe
>Brought about major consequences especially for Mutants.
THAT IS THE FUCKING POINT, to do things you fucking can't in the 616.
>>
>>88777422

Ultimatum took everything in the Ultimate Universe and ruined it.

Civil War 2 was just mediocre as hell. It wasn't really BAD per se, because nothing really happened enough to <i> be </i> bad.
>>
>>88778611
Everyone was expecting those things to happen, anon. That's not why it was shit. It was shit because of the completely retarded way people were killed off and the way everyone suddenly acted completely out of character.

Mutants with flying and teleportation powers were the ones who died in the flood for god's sake, and we didn't even get to see them try to escape or anything they just showed up dead with no explanation. The blob was just randomly there for no good reason(especially since he'd know the town was going to get hit and being there would be a suicide attempt) just to be able to shock the reader with random cannibalism.
>>
>>88777549
Tony wasn't right. Carol was wrong, but Civil War II is almost entirely Tony's fault.
>>
>>88778346
Atlantis Attacks wasn't THAT bad.
>>
>>88778611
>>Killed off fuck tons of people
>THAT IS THE FUCKING POINT, to do things you fucking can't in the 616.

Yeah, but who was left after that? They got rid of all the characters that people actually cared about. Who really wanted to see Kitty Pryde's adventures in leading the X-men? Or the Ultimates with Bombshell and Cloak & Dagger?
>>
>>88778571
>Fear Itself was great
No it wasn't

>I recall people liking it alot as it came out and only started hating it after the fact.
You're either remember incorrectly, or the "people" you're referring to aren't /co/mrades because we sure as fuck didn't like it while it was coming out. A lot of the tie-ins were well liked but the main mini definitely wasn't outside of the #0 issue.
>>
The whole event seemed like a really retarded thing to trigger a war. I mean it's not this is the first character to even know what happens in the future and wanting to change it.
>>
File: wca1.jpg (262KB, 900x665px) Image search: [Google]
wca1.jpg
262KB, 900x665px
>>88778902
Trust me, it was
>>
>>88778611
The only good thing that happened in Ultimatum was J Jonah Jameson coming around on Spider-man

>>88778827
Not only that, but the Blob wasn't even fucking evil at this point. He had a daughter, and wanted to reconnect with her.
>>
>>88778915
All of those ideas were actually pretty good, they were all just written like shit
>>
>>88778960
I didn't read Atlantis Attacks but damn that page is fucking stupid. Even the copy pasted art is shit.
>>
>>88778346
>>88777422
You're all smalltime.
>>
File: 2894121.jpg (620KB, 1440x1733px) Image search: [Google]
2894121.jpg
620KB, 1440x1733px
>>88777422
It's up there but Ultimatum is still a train wreck of train wrecks
I mean for fucksakes the amount of needless killing almost every issue and the senseless of the plot to top it off.

>>88778099
It's sin was it was a pretty generic straightforward event. It would have been fine as a core Thor book with a few crossover specails. As the big crossover event of the year it just didn't have the legs for it.
>>88778346
Mislabeled event but hardly the worse. Inferno was more a mess then that event.
>>88778611
Just because you can doesn't mean you always should.
>>
>>88778346
What was this about and why was it considered bad?
>>
>>88779031
Bad art was it's only sin. People actually like it, it was selling well and it's plot elements were very stable.
What ended it was behind the door deals that were not thought out before the events were agreed too.
>>
>>88777465
Ahahahahahaha!
>>
>>88779042
Inferno was great. The only people who didn't understand it were ones who didn't actually read any of the comics leading up to it and just read the event itself.
>>
>>88779024
It's a major plot point. The followers of an evil snake god kidnapped and hypnotized 7 superheroines, preparing them to be the "wives" (breeding sex slaves) of said snake god. Yes, really.
>>
>>88779031
TIME AND TIME AGAIN

Marvel Comics is run by retards, I'm now convinced that good comics are either a fluke or good writers that once in a while tell editorial to fuck off and manages to write their own shit.

Marvel is the house of shit ideas and I regret the time I wasted reading their shit comics.
>>
>>88777422
You weren't even around to understand just how bad Ultimatum actually is in the timeline of the Ultimate universe.

Another thing that gives non release readers of the Ultimate Universe away is their hate for Miles. Peter's story was slow and slogging in the decompression aspect when read month to month. Many don't know the hell of reading Ultimate spiderman back in the day.

As for Ultimatum, it is the ultimate shit smear on the wall of defecation that is major events. You literally cannot appreciate how much of a disjointed, vapid, insult this piece of work was unless you were there for the event.
>>
>>88779042
Fuck you Inferno was awesome
>>
>>88779002
>The only good thing that happened in Ultimatum was J Jonah Jameson coming around on Spider-man

Wholeheartedly agree. That was a fucking great change. If Ultimatum had been more like that it would have been a fantastic event.

Another thing that was shit was the whole Reed/Namor thing. Just a waste of time.
>>
>>88779058
The event was misnamed for starters, Atlantis is hardly used in the event and is not a driving force. The plot was a lot of open ended questions as to how thing happen like they did, also very desu ex but in reverse.
>>
at least stuff happened in Ultimatum.

A bunch of stuff that killed the Ultimate universe and was awfully written, but stuff.

Civil War 2 literally nothing happens
>>
>>88779031
Heroes Reborn wasn't really an event, unless you count The New 52 as an event.
>>
File: Secret_Wars_II_Vol_1_1.jpg (90KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
Secret_Wars_II_Vol_1_1.jpg
90KB, 400x600px
This was the worst event.
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg (79KB, 681x800px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg
79KB, 681x800px
>>88779101
>tfw grew up with Ultimate Universe and watched it ressurect Marvel from the ashes and then be thrown to the wolves

fuck you marvel
>>
>>88779090
>he only people who didn't understand it
Wasn't going that direction at all but the fact the event isn't self contained enough to be understood with out the other info shows the mess it was. Why things unfolded like they did were stupid, not hard to understand but rather felt like the writers were just pulling names and ideas from hat boxes into what they do. Hell it ended with humans just thinking it was just a dream while standing in ruble of New York with dead bodies everywhere.
It was a pretty dumb event.
>>
>>88779109
Inferno was just sweeping shit under the carpet but trying to make it look like that wasn't the case.
>>
I remember reading a cross-over thing about the Octessence as a kid when I had a subscription to the local Spider-Man comic. Like, I remember Iron Man, Xavier and Reed showing up. Was that a proper event, with shit happening outside the Spider-Man comic as well? They never mentioned it since Spider-Man was pretty much the only comic being sold here at that point. If so, was it any good? I remember liking the story, but that might just have been me being amazed at all the heroes actually showing up in my Spider-Man comics.
>>
>>88779160
shameless cash grab absolutely but it doesn't get the title for the worse.
>>
>>88779269
The eighth day was the event and it was just a small blurp that was in 5 books (if they had any creativity it should have been 8 books) Started in Iron man and ended with a one shot Juggernaut book.
>>
>>88778915
>Who really wanted to see Kitty Pryde's adventures in leading the X-men?

Don't you mean a completely different plot thread every issue for about a year before dropping most of them when a new writer came in?

Seriously, Ultimate Comics etc was just limping towards a reboot. It was all phoned in.
>>
>>88779180
But anon, now you get your favorite black Spider-Man in the main 616! He's on a #WOKE teenage superhero team too! Aren't you happy?
>>
>>88777422
Civil War II isn't even the worst event Brian Michael Bendis has written.
>>
>>88779367
After Ultimatum how could it do anything else? When you kill all the interesting characters and leave it with mostly b/c listers a brand isn't just going to walk that off.
>>
>>88779288
There were a lot of retarded moments though, like becoming president of the USA, trying to hook up with Dazzler, killing the New Mutants and he just reverses everything he does afterwords like it never happened.
>>
>>88779391
What other big crossover events has he done? I haven't really followed Marvel since the first civil war.
I know he did House of M which in irony has started this demand for big earth shattering events to keep happening every year but I can't think what else.
>>
>>88779404
It was supposed to be "Oh shit, time for the B-teams of the world to step up." Only they fucking sucked too.

Remember America's weird second Civil War in Ultimates? After Sentinels went nuts and Texas became pure evil? How the fuck do you just gloss over that shit?
>>
File: fuckbendis.png (421KB, 535x800px) Image search: [Google]
fuckbendis.png
421KB, 535x800px
>>88779372
no

and fuck bendis in the ass for bringing peter back and LITERALLY SAYING he was going to do something with him and LITERALLY SAYING he would appear in Ultimate End.

bendis is a fucking liar and a hack.
>>
>>88779360
Googling that makes it seem like there was actually only five issues with the story moving through the different comics? If so they must have actually put all of the stories into the Spider-Man comic over here. Which, now that I think of it, explains why it suddenly showed Iron Man on an archaeological dig in a spider-man comic to start it off.

For once they seem to have actually made things better when editing the comics for release here. They were usually confusing as fuck, having three different Spider-Man stories, from across his timeline, in one comic.
>>
>>88779180
I feel you anon, ultimate Pete was my Spider-Man
>>
>>88779418
But as an established God being that is basically trying to understand humanity it can be seen as justified, poorly written but justified.
>he just reverses everything he does afterwords like it never happened.
Yes but it wasn't like OMD or others where established lore is just torn apart for said reset.
Again it's a bad event but at the end all the heroes were left unscathed and the plot had reason to happen. (not that it should happen just that it wasn't as forced as say CW2)
>>
File: 502-5.jpg (107KB, 417x640px) Image search: [Google]
502-5.jpg
107KB, 417x640px
What about this bullshit?
>>
>>88777422
Ultimatum killed off an entire universe and made it non-functional and started its steep downfall. CWII's biggest sin is that it will be forgotten and discarded yesterday and no one gives a shit about it.

So Ultimatum is still the king of SHIT. Also Bendis at his worst is still >>>> Loeb.
>>
>>88779418
>killing the New Mutants and he just reverses everything he does afterwords like it never happened.
Not really, this heavily affected their storylines. It's what made them leave Xavier's (Magneto's?) to join the Massachusetts Academy.
>>
>>88779447
Bendis is such a cunt. I love that image.
>>
>>88779079
It did tho, but that may actually make Civil War 2 even worse due to the wasted talent.
>>
>>88779607

not an event.
>>
>>88779607
It was bad but more a sign of things to come. Only two died in that event and the outcome was more resolved. It wasn't like Ultimatum where you had no clear understanding why all the events went as they did nor like CWll where the very conflict fixes itself by deus ex at the end thus making the whole story pointless.
>>
>>88779905
Had cross over into other books. FF and Spidey as well. If it doesn't count we need to take half of the lists off.
>>
>>88779891
That start was pure garbage. It was basically a retelling of of issue we saw in other stories told better or about the same but had such a force hardon why things happen like they did.
>>
>>88779905
Had more books tied to it then Atlantis Attacks or Inferno.
>>
>>88778915
>Or the Ultimates with Bombshell and Cloak & Dagger?
That was WAY later tho, inbetween we got The Death of Spider-Man which was great.
The Ultimate Avengers series which except for 3 were fun as fuck.
And above all else we got Hickman's Ultimates which was among the best things every produced by the Ultimate Universe.
>>
>>88779649
>Ultimatum killed off an entire universe and made it non-functional and started its steep downfall
I don't know why people fucking say this, The Ultimates side of the universe went on perfectly fine. And the X-Men did also basically.
>>
>>88778882
Tony was 100% correct. The problem was he acted like a retard about it because MUH RHODEY.
>>
>>88780078
You mean the Hickman run that had it's end ruined when he got replaced as writer mid-story?
>>
>>88780118
Ultimate universe was the hotness back at the turn of the millennium and overshadowed 616. But after Ultimatum, it was just another elseworlds story that most ignored where the only thing of significance ended up being Ultimate Spiderman. Ultimatum destroyed all the momentum of that universe.
>>
>>88778882
The base line argument is that profiling isn't a good thing. Logic should lead to these superpower physics being used to prevent crimes by preparation and planning as well as understanding why they happen. Carol side cannot be seen as right because they are running on basically flashes of info rather than any real breakdown as to why. Tony is right but can't say why because he is crazy over a dead Rhodey and Carol is wrong but has Inhumans on her side which is an autowin at Marvel right now.
>>
>>88777422
Nah, Ultimatum did something impressive, it literally killed an entire comic line, it had such a high kill count of characters that the ultimate universe never recovered. CWII only ruined 2016 and maybe a piece of 2017.
>>
File: 899671-ultimatum_kill_list.jpg (134KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
899671-ultimatum_kill_list.jpg
134KB, 1440x900px
>>88777422
No.
Why would you think that?
Are you stupid?
>>
ultimatum is utter shit paper. As an event, as a comic, as printed work. Somebody got paid for that fucking pig slop.

I mean Countdown, as garbage as that was, didn't take down a universe.
>>
>>88780170
Even if it didn't stick the landing, it was still fucking magnificent for 99% of it.
>>
I agree with those saying Ultimatum was better because it actually had major consequences. It was a true EVENT that everyone remembers clearly and is passionate about. But Civil War 2 will be forgotten in a few months.
>>
>>88780595
forgettable isn't worse than being so bad that it will mark everyone involved for the rest of the mediums history. Actually you want a bad forgettable event over one that still gets brought up ten years later.
>>
>>88780346
Go to bed, Bendis.
>>
>>88780871
Bendis was involved with Ultimatum as well anon.
>>
>>88780346
Didn't they retcon Doom's death in the end? I remember it not really making sense with there being blood to begin with, but I gave up reading Ultimate comics after Ultimatum.
>>
Honestly Civil War II was just fucking boring. More or less nothing happened. Most of the tie-ins were super bland. A choice few were terrible, sure, but for the most part they were just filler. That's not good, but it's not Ultimatum-tier by far.
>>
>>88779436
That Age of Ultron bullshit. He had a hand in Avengers vs X-Men also
>>
>>88780498
But the ending soured the whole thing.

Reed doing what he did because of Sue ruins his whole arc.
>>
File: battle-of-the-atom-panel-2.jpg (2MB, 3948x1643px) Image search: [Google]
battle-of-the-atom-panel-2.jpg
2MB, 3948x1643px
Battle of the Atom is probably the worst event I can think of in recent years. I didn't mind Bendis' X-Men run overall but this event was just plain retarded as fuck.
>>
>>88778611

Those things wrecked the Ultimate universe to the point where it was effectively dead. Killing characters is one thing, but they seriously killed HALF of the fucking people within the Ultimate Universe with NO plans on bringing them back. Ultimatum was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for that universe.

I mean, I get it, they had a universe wherein death could be the end all be all and if written correctly, could've been superb, but when you kill off most of your cast before you can even bring in legacy characters or don't properly finish a character's arc, you effectively just screwed it over, because now these characters can't even come back and you're left with a dry ass roster of characters to write with.

Ultimatum is worse than CWII for that alone. In CWII only Bruce Banner died, but you at least know he's eventually coming back anyway so it's whatever. CWII was bad because it's actually the extreme opposite of Ultimatum. No major shit happens and it carried on for far too long and really wasn't even that entertaining to read.
>>
Ultimatum was so bad it literally killed the whole line. CW2 just ended with Stark giving himself a comma.

So, CW is so shit it couldn't even win the "shittiest of all time" award.
>>
>>88778611
>Ultimatum wasn't that bad...
Okay, I'm done with this board. This is a new low for you faggots. How about you reread that inept in every single way garbage before saying shit like that?
>HURR MUH CONSEQUENCES ITZ NOT THAT BAD
If you still hold the same shitty opinion after rereading it, there's no helping you.
>>
>>88778346
>>88779031
>>88779160

I've read these. They were terrible and yet I'd rather read them over Civil War II again.
>>
>>88778611
>MUH CHANGE IS GOOD

You fucking idiot, diverting from 616 is not the reason why that was a godawful comic. Can you explain why Magneto randomly forgets that he has magnetic powers? Like the scene with Valkyrie, he fucking lost an arm because he went full retard and tried to clobber her with Mjolnir, then remembered to use his powers on her sword.

I don't even fucking care about most of the Ultimate X-Men getting killed off. It was an incompetently written comic. Nightcrawler being unable to remember he can teleport to safety? Cyclops somehow forgetting to close his eyes when Magneto controls his visor? Multiple Men convieniently exploding when Hank moved himself and them far away from their intended target? How the fuck do people like you even defend this?
>>
>>88777422
Avengers vs X-Men is still my most hated.
>>
>>88780923
IIRC he and Millar were the ones who convinced Loeb to not reboot and show the consequences of a catastrophic superhero event.
>>
>>88779436
>>88779391
He did the following
House of M
Secret Invasion
Dark Reign
Siege
Age of Ultron

He was also one of the writers on Avengers vs X-Men. and if you count them as events, he also wrote Avengers Disassembled and Ultimate End.

Of all those I would say the worst of all those would be Avengers Disassembled, Age of Ultron, Ultimate End, Civil War II, and Avengers vs X-Men. I haven't decided which is the worst one of them, though.
>>
I'd say the one part that CW2 outshines Ultimatum in complete retardedness is how they resolve having Ulysses around; he literally just gets picked up by the embodiment of the cosmos, who i think should be in complete disarray at this time considering it's tied with Happy Galactus, and pulls a poochy and flies off into eternity
>>
File: image.jpg (684KB, 1000x1537px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
684KB, 1000x1537px
>>88785836
Noghing outshines ultimatum in terms of retardness,at least Ulysses was a noghing character,ultimatum was a stupid poorly written blood bath
>>
>>88785797
What they all have in common is they make very little sense.
>>
>>88777422
Civil War II was pointless and nothing happened but Ultimatum was the true pinnacle of edgeshit. You have to be attempting satire and failing to make something as bad as Ultimatum.
>>
>>88779094
that doesnt sound too bad as a plot, whats wrong with it?
>>
>>88778346
Eh...the thing with most of the older crossovers like Atlantis Attacks is that they barely impacted other books. You could ignore them. Current Marvel has made all their crossovers dictate the regular book's stories. You can't read an Avengers book without reading Civil War II. That alone makes CW II worse.
>>
>>88777422
IvX is allready worse
>>
>>88779090
>Inferno was great. The only people who didn't understand it

You mean clone Jean Madelyne Prior goes crazy, somehow has demonic powers, assisted by Illyana's imp thing, gives birth to Cable, defeated by X-men, Cable is saved by sending him into the future, because apparently demon dimensions have the same disease that causes the Phalanx.

Yeah, that sounds "great" and not like total shit.
>>
>>88777422

Ultimatum nearly killed the Ultimate universe. CW2 is just bad.
>>
File: 0.jpg (41KB, 271x548px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
41KB, 271x548px
>>88780346
>Victor Van Damme
Jesus Christ, I knew the UU was retarded, but this...
>>
>>88785975
>pic
OW THE EDGE
>>
>>88785704

AvX wins the award for how retarded we can make our characters look. The mental gymnastics to have the Avengers fight the X-Men was insane.
>>
>>88788863
You aren't reading IvX are you?

It's got mental gymnastics AND a complete disregard for the vast majority of one side's canon and wide spread character assassination in and out of universe and inconsistent characterization within the same fucking event.
>>
>>88787520
t. never read inferno

Cable as baby Nathan first appeared in '86 two years before Inferno and got sick and sent to the future in 1991 three years later in a different X-Factor storyline.
>>
>>88778099
Fear Itself was fun as fuck, a pox on all who say otherwise.
>>
>>88785975
Dr. Strange's death was the only character they hinted at possibly coming back in the event, and they did nothing with it anyway.
>>
>>88778346
Hey.
Fuck you too. Atlantis Attacks was fucking GREAT.
You could at least pick one of the shitty little ones like Terminus Factor, or Return of the Defenders, or that Moloid one. Shit there's even a separate 90s Marvel event with Atlantis in the title that's actually bad.
>>
>>88788942

To be honest. I'm trying to avoid that trainwreck.
>>
File: INTERNALOPRESSION.jpg (18KB, 201x174px) Image search: [Google]
INTERNALOPRESSION.jpg
18KB, 201x174px
>>88779160
Oh ho HO I'm doing that storytime after all just to fucking spite you.
>>
>>88788942
I don't get if the Inhumans are supposed to be sympathetic in that event.
They come off as complete monsters who are perfectly okay with ACTUAL genocide.
And yet we are supposed to view Cyclops as a villain.
>>
>>88778960
>>88779094
All you're doing is spelling out why AA was great.
>>
>>88779100
I'd at least put a cut-off date on it.
When, I'm not sure. Sometime in the 90s. Before then, they cared.
>>
>>88785975
[checks the time]
>>
>>88779607
I loved the scene it's talking about.
Seems totally in-character too.
>>
>>88777422
Ultimatum was more eventful at least, even if it was a piece of shit at best, it really changed that universe and made it more significantly different than 616. And the aftermath was better than pre-Ultimatum books.
CW2 was just so fucking bland, took almost an entire year and the new relaunch it caused is the weakest relaunch Marvel had in a long time, found myself 80% of those i was reading.
>>
File: 640967.jpg (174KB, 600x919px) Image search: [Google]
640967.jpg
174KB, 600x919px
>>88789198
Yeah, you have a point.
I somehow managed to completely erase this steaming pile of shit from my memory.

Atlantis Attacks was still shit though, just not as shit as Rising
>>
>>88789213
You need to try?
>>
>>88788942
>complete disregard for the vast majority of one side's canon
The sad thing is, I'm not actually sure if you're referring to the inhumans or the mutants.
>>
>>88789418
>>88787378
Go to bed Claremont
>>
>>88789491
I read it just a few weeks ago. Been meaning to for years, ever since Namor's 90s left me hanging.
Didn't tell me where the fuck Llyron went, which was the biggest draw for me. Wasted of fookin' time. Although to its credit some of the Inhumans designs were refreshingly cool compared to the shit we get now.
>>88789504
no u
>>
>>88787520
>You mean clone Jean Madelyne Prior goes crazy, somehow has demonic powers, assisted by Illyana's imp thing, gives birth to Cable, defeated by X-men, Cable is saved by sending him into the future, because apparently demon dimensions have the same disease that causes the Phalanx.

Sounds like someone read a Wiki article on late 80s X-Men, and not the actual comics, and even still blends stuff together into mush.

The demonic powers are explained both prior to Inferno and during Inferno. Cable/Nathan is shown prior to the Mutant Massacre, hell, prior to Cyclops leaving the X-Men in the first place. And Apocalypse infected Nathan with the variation techno-organic virus at his disposal in the Apocalypse Endgame storyline in X-Factor.

Inferno is really a good event, if for no other reason than it being contained within the setting it affects. Only the characters that were mutants took the full brunt of it. Other characters (Spider-Man, Daredevil, et al) dropped in and out of it, from being in the Manhattan/NYC area, but weren't tied up in the big brouhaha. So, you didn't *need* to read Daredevil 280-something to actually understand Inferno, nor did you absolutely need to read Inferno to see why New York was fucked, unless you wanted to.
They don't have a disconnect with events anymore, it feels like.
>>
>>88777422
In Ultimatum, shit at least happend.
What happend in CW2 besides, Tony throw a lame party on his penthouse, the heroes fought in the Helicarrier, Cap "died" and Tony was put in a coma?
>>
File: 1482969694922.png (492KB, 1077x687px) Image search: [Google]
1482969694922.png
492KB, 1077x687px
>>88778654
><i> be </i>
>>
>>88785797
Secret Invasion>Dark Reign>Siege was my favorite era in a long time and I haven't enjoyed Marvel much since they ended.

Then again I loved every moment of Superior Spider-Man, too.
>>
>>88789690
>I loved every moment of Superior Spider-Man
Slutt gtfo
>>
>>88780078
>we got The Death of Spider-Man which was great.
McFucking kill yourself. I don't care how good you think the story itself was. That's irrelevant. Its true purpose was to act a vehicle for Bendis to replace Peter with Miles. That alone sends it up shit creek. If Bendis really wanted to kill Peter that badly, he should have just done it during Ultimatum. Oh yeah, but that would have meant less sales and less money for Bendis to afford more pizza.
>>
>>88789740
It was a good story though. It sounds like you just don't like Miles.
>>
>>88789690
>Secret Invasion>Dark Reign>Siege

because it was a natural progression of events, and none of it came out of left field just to fuck shit up like House of M, Civil War, AvX,Fear Itself or Original Sin.
>>
>>88789577
To be honest, Rising was just utterly incomprehensible in some parts. Not in the least due to the atrocious art in some of the books.

>Although to its credit some of the Inhumans designs were refreshingly cool compared to the shit we get now.
It might be an unpopular opinion, but imo there were a lot of interesting designs in the 90s. It's just that shit writing and art ruined them too often
>>
>>88777422
I got bored midway, What happened in the end of Civil War II?
>>
>>88792683
YAAS QUEEN
>>
>>88791772
>It might be an unpopular opinion, but imo there were a lot of interesting designs in the 90s.

I hate to say it but I think you're on to something. A lot of 90's designs were terrible yet exciting. A lot of 10's designs were terrible and bland. What works in real-life or in film or a video game doesn't necessarily work for a mainstream comic.
>>
>>88792683
Tony is """dead""" again (or rather in a coma, but the rest of the world thinks he's dead, again), Ulysses went back to his home planet, and here are some ads for upcoming comics, True Believer!
>>
>>88792846
Exactly. A lot of 90s designs were over-the-top but also unique and extravagant, in a way that could only work in the superhero comic medium. Of course, there were a lot of bland formulaic designs as well, but that's just to be expected.
>>
File: whatif7303.png (510KB, 488x398px) Image search: [Google]
whatif7303.png
510KB, 488x398px
>>88778346
The What If this inspired however was HILARIOUS
>>
>>88778346
>>88779031
>>88779160
You know what, I'm gonna say this. As bad as all of those were at least they seemed like they made a well-meaning attempt to try entertaining the reader. I can't really say the same for Civil War II, where the "war" actually happens by the fifth issue, where the sixth and seventh issue were so decompressed they could've been consolidated into one issue.
>>
>>88790088
Nothing wrong with that
>>
>>88789690
Secret Invasion was garbage but Dark Reign was good yeah
>>
>>88779094
Hellooooo Boner!
>>
>>88777422

The only events I've really read are Annihalation and Conquest, Civil War, and Age of Ultron.

Age of Ultron I can't decided between AoU and Civil War. I think the latter was more exasperating. The former just didn't really matter much. The time travel plot was fairly inane and the continuous "Oh we are in despair" speeches were unnecessary and dumb. Yeah, it's a disaster, I can see that, I don't need to hear "O woe is us, the whole world is fucked, and we to blame!"
>>
>>88793617
Yeah I know, but like, it wasn't a porn doujin, it was supposed to be an actual honest-to-god canon Marvel event.
>>
>>88793664
>The followers of an evil snake god kidnapped and hypnotized 7 superheroines, preparing them to be the "wives" (breeding sex slaves) of said snake god
Too pulpish for you, anon?
>>
>>88793680
It didn't fit the narrative style of Marvel superhero comics of that period. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take the moralfag/SJW route here. Something like that could work fine in a "bad girl" comic in the 90s, or Empowered. Here it was just out of place, it looked like a blatant fetish fanfiction insert.
>>
>>88789690
Incidentally because Spider-Man is back there's a 90% chance that this is what the MCU goes with for Phases 4-6 next decade.
>>
>>88793900
>blatant fetish fanfiction insert.
Welcome to capes.
>>
>>88778346
man i WISH Marvel and DC went back and do their crossover events on their annuals
i know you'll probably remember shit like this and Bloodlines or those random themed Elseworlds but at least it would be contained and not hijack most of the line and put storylines on hold
>>
>>88781146
Nope, Doom didn't die, he got stuck in Zombie Universe.
>>
File: bendis.png (127KB, 400x592px) Image search: [Google]
bendis.png
127KB, 400x592px
>>88785734
Jesus, what isn't he responsible for?
>>
Considerig that at times this event made me think Penders was ghostwriting it I'd say so
>>
>>88791772
Roy Thomas's return to Thor was the inverse.
Fine, Bronze Age writing, fucking EYE-BLEEDING character designs.
>>
>>88777422
Civil War 1 is worse than 2.
>>
>>88798457
At least things happened in Civil War 1 and the conflict had actual fucking weight to it. Also that it didn't take 4-5 issues for the battle lines to be truly drawn. Civil war 1 was bad, but Civil War 2 is astronomically worse
>>
>>88794437
fucking this
I don't care about these major events if they are self contained but it fucking kills me when a story gets put on hold or worse because "All heroes are Hulk" event had to happen in every book.
that was an actual idea pitch from Bendis in 2009
>>
File: Disgusted vulture.png (272KB, 337x320px) Image search: [Google]
Disgusted vulture.png
272KB, 337x320px
>>88777422
i don't think you understand how fucking horrible Ultimatum was OP, while yes stuff like Hickman ultimates came out of it we also had stuff like Wolverines kid running around and a bunch of half assed legacy characters that no one cared about
>>
>>88794437
I miss Fifth Week events, where they just did a bunch of oneshots in order to fill what would normally be a publishing hole. Or more generally a crossover that would be concentrated around such oneshots and resolve in a month or two.
>>
>>88798852
>"All heroes are Hulk"
So, that EHM episode but with Bendis writing ?
Christ what a nightmare
>>
Ultimatum was the most ow the edge shit since Ruins.
CWII was just characters acting dumb
>>
>>88785975
DORMAMMU!
>>
>>88793060
>MINDLESS SERPENT MEN!

I don't even want the context for this because how how much I'm laughing.
>>
Do how do each of the Civil War stories stack up to one another?
>>
>>88793900
>he's never read Claremont X-Men
>>
>>88798852
There was a Hulked Out Heroes storyarc in Hulk though
>>
Will Marvel ever reach Ultimatum quality again? They're trying really hard lately.
>>
File: file.png (2MB, 1254x1398px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2MB, 1254x1398px
>>88804341
>>
File: file.png (4MB, 1416x1330px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
4MB, 1416x1330px
Really, Civil War 2 is worse in every aspect.
>>
File: file.png (2MB, 934x1280px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2MB, 934x1280px
Fuck me, I forgot the context of this page.
>>
>>88777422
Secret Wars II. Nothing comes close.

No matter what he does, Bendis can always go to sleep at night saying "at least I didn't write Secret Wars II."
>>
>>88777422
No. Ultimatum destroyed an entire line of comics beyond repair. Only Deathmate can compare.
>>
>>88804516
You might be able to say that about the main book, but the tie-ins were much more solid than any other event besides Secret Wars 2015.
>>
>>88804685
Huh, like what? Secret Wars had some amazing tie-ins, but CW2 is plain jane.
>>
>>88804839
>Uncanny Avengers
>Kingpin
>Almost every book that touched the Hawkeye trial, it would have been better if they came out BEFORE we knew the trial's out come
>Hulk's Banner flashback issue
>Cap's book showing how he was the real villain of CW2

That's a rather solid line up of tie-in issues. Now there were some bad ones, but the number of good ones that actually added something of value to the event is far grater than normal.
>>
>>88793900
>looked like a blatant fetish fanfiction insert
WW made it to the top of Mt. Superheroine from that very foundation.
>>
>>88805815
How did that "Trial of Maria Hill" story turn out
I remember being hyped when I read about it but I never bothered reading
>>
>>88785975

Why didn't he bargain?
>>
>>88806315
Cause that was Doctor Strange Jr
>>
>>88796327
But I saw Thing squeeze his skull into mush...
>>
>>88790149
>> and none of it came out of left field just to fuck shit up
>Skrull Queen about to get gangraped by everyone
>lelheadshot by Norman
>in another show of Marvel Civilians's intelligence, Norman proceeds to become the secretary of defense

I mean, Dark Reign itself wasn't bad, but the reason to kickstart it was pretty fucking stupid.
>>
>>88806529
>implying Ultimate Doom wasn't all-metal
>>
So I am a /co/ rookie, and I recently started a marvel universe subscription. What marvel events would you all recommend? I really liked the Infinity Gauntlet story line, as well as Secret Wars and Planet Hulk.

What did you love?
>>
>>88806529
You didn't read the previous UFF comics (but then I guess no one told Loeb either), Ultimate Doom is supposed to be all-metal.
>>
>>88807303
No one told Loeb many things.
Or he just didn't give a fuck.
>>
>>88777422
Marvel needs to be destroyed.
>>
>>88807349
I don't know. He was the one who actually asked Bendis what Magneto would be thinking during Disassembled and then Bendis realized he didn't bring up Magneto in his script.
>>
>>88806838
Me and Axis have a love/hate relationship.
Other than that, Annihilation.
>>
>>88806252
That's part of the Captain HYDRA book/Hydra War lead-up. It hasn't come out yet.
>>
>>88808981
Loeb was in a very different place in 2004 than he was in 2008.
>>
>>88806838
>What marvel events would you all recommend?
I would recommend avoiding Marvel events like the plague because even the best ones aren't very good. Marvel has enough genuinely good to great comics that you could be reading comics for years and never have to touch an event.

But besides IG, SW, and Planet Hulk, check out Annihilation and... Onslaught Saga?
>>
>>88779031

jim lee's fantastic four was fun at the very least.
>>
>>88780346
>Wasp
Fuck you for reminding me of how she died, goddamn it that shit still pisses me off.
Thread posts: 192
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.