[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

INTERVIEW: Axel Alonso Looks Back at Marvel’s 2016, Details

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 220
Thread images: 17

File: cap1.0.0.jpg (154KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
cap1.0.0.jpg
154KB, 1280x854px
http://www.cbr.com/interview-axel-alonso-looks-back-at-marvels-2016-details-whats-next/

CBR: Let’s look back at the year and start with the direct market sales numbers in the past year. There’s no denying that DC Comics made a major impact with Rebirth, scoring market share wins in dollars and units in July, August and September. Marvel has rebounded the past couple of months, though, back on top for October and November. What was your take on DC’s efforts with Rebirth, and are you confident in being back on top of the direct market going forward?

ALONSO: What matters to us is how we run our business, and how that contributes to the overall health of the industry. We want to entertain and challenge long-term fans, bring in new fans, and sell a lot of comics. We don’t view the audience as finite, so whenever someone sells a comic book, it’s a victory for our medium. That said, and I said this several months ago, we do not view returnability as a strategy that contributes to the overall health of the industry. Recent numbers and feedback from retailers is confirming that.
>>
>>88774448
>we do not view returnability as a strategy that contributes to the overall health of the industry.
Oh! but a shitload of incentive variants and numerous fucking events is? Fuck you Axel "I'm basically Korean" Alonso.
>>
File: image.png.jpg (58KB, 640x420px) Image search: [Google]
image.png.jpg
58KB, 640x420px
>>88774448
>challenge long-term fans
We accepted the challenge... and we lost. Now what, little man?
>>
>>88774448
The only thing that should happen next as Axel Alonzo should be fired.

>>88774608
This should shut up the Get comics out the LCS crowd for at least a week or so.
>>
On CW2:
>Of course, we wish we could’ve wrapped it up on time, and we’re sorry about that, but we didn’t want to do that at the expense of the overall quality of the final package
>>
Other parts of the interview:

CBR: Axel, let’s start with some of the big news from the past few weeks. This month, readers saw in “Clone Conspiracy” #3 that Ben Reilly was back from the dead, and in fact, the antagonist of the story. That character that was right up there with Bucky for a while in the list of Marvel characters fans didn’t expect to see return, and obviously Bucky was brought back over a decade ago and that was a big hit. Now we have Ben Reilly back — were you skeptical at all of this move?

Axel Alonso: This may be shocking, but I really wasn’t skeptical. All of us up here know “The Clone Saga” and the wildly varied and passionate responses it got. But it was exactly the type of thing that Dan Slott gravitates toward and, quite frankly, hits out of the park. Remember, this is the guy who killed Peter Parker, swapped his brain with Doc Ock and turned that into one of the most successful Spider-Man runs. So we knew odds were good that he was going to rock this twist and return.
>>
>>88774851
CBR: Recent weeks have also seen the unveiling of Marvel’s ResurrXion lineups, with new books for both the X-Men and Inhumans lines. It’s certainly something of a change of direction for the X-Men, and the message it that it’s more hopeful and more of an old-school feel, while still building on what we’ve seen in recent years. What kind of statement does this lineup make about the X-Men?

Alonso: It’s really simple. Ever since “House of M,” the X-Men have had a dark cloud hovering over them: First, it was Wanda’s declaration of “no more mutants,” more recently, the Terrigen Mists. “ResurrXion” is where we pivot away from all that, and lean hard into the notion of a united and hopeful X-Men. They’ve still got problems, they’ve still got enemies, but they’ve also got each other. In “Blue,” “Gold” and “Weapon X,” the X-Men are superheroes fighting for what they believe in, unencumbered by the existential questions and in-fighting that have nagged at them for years. There’s a sense of optimism and unity at the core of all these books.
>>
>>88774874
CBR: With that, the creative teams, especially the writers, are a combination of names we’ve seen at Marvel quite a bit over the years, such as Cullen Bunn and James Robinson, and also some new voices like Christina Strain, who readers mainly know as a colorist, and Sina Grace. How important was that, to combine new blood and some veteran voices?

Alonso: We definitely wanted to mix it up. Over in the new voices category, Christina Strain – who currently writes for SyFy’s “The Magicians” and is known for her contributions to Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona’s run on “Runaways” – is bringing a very cool take on “Generation X,” and Sina Grace brings some of the same punch, wit and heart to “Iceman” as he did to his largely autobiographical work, “Not My Bag” and his action-packed love letter to ’80s video games, “Burn the Orphange.”

Over in the veterans category, we have Marc Guggenheim — a successful TV showrunner who made his comic book debut with “Wolverine: Civil War” and has never stopped reminding us that writing a core X-Men book is his dream job — achieving that dream with “X-Men Gold,” a book that should hit hardcore X-fans in their sweet spot. All-star team, big bad villains, baseball in the park, and our secret weapon: [artist] Ardian Syaf, who is going to blow you away. Then there’s Cullen Bunn, who brings a killer hook to “X-Men Blue”: Professor X’s worst nightmare is realized when the Lee and Kirby X-Men fall under Magneto’s wing. Hope they survive the experience. And then there’s Greg Pak, who has put together just the roster to will deliver the wall-to-wall action and high body-count book you’d expect for a book called “Weapon X.”

CBR: That one sounds like kind of an X-Force vibe.

Alonso: There’s a reason we’re calling it “Weapon X,” and not “X-Force” or “X-Factor.” You’ll see why in issue #1.
>>
>>88774448
Oh this will be fun.
>>
>>88774896
CBR: ResurrXion is also a new start for the Inhumans, with new books starring those characters coming out of the launch. How do you see those characters benefitting from this push?

Alonso: “Inhumans vs. X-Men” provided a great platform to introduce the Inhumans to folks who were not familiar with them and differentiate them from the X-Men, and its culmination will bring about a huge paradigm shift — not only for the relationship between mutants and Inhumans, but for the relationships among the ranks of Inhumans. “Inhumans Prime” #1 — written by Al Ewing and drawn by Ryan Sook — will set up the new dynamic facing the Inhuman Royal Family and the multitude of new Inhumans who’ve been effected by unilateral decisions made by this select group. The Royals have a lot to answer for.

After that, Al [Ewing] and [artist] Jonboy Meyers will launch “Royals,” a new ongoing series that will take the Inhuman Royal Family to the far reaches of the Marvel Universe and dig deep into Inhumans history. It’s an action-packed space odyssey that will examine the scars left by the fact that they created and then abandoned by an all-knowing alien race. Who are the Inhumans really? What is their place in the universe? This series will offer definitive answers.
>>
>>88774915
Alonso: With the Royal family gone, a new generation of Inhuman heroes — all of whom play a huge role in “IvX” — will step forward to clean up the huge mess left for them. The book is “Secret Warriors,” the team is Quake, Ms. Marvel, Moon Girl and Inferno, and it’s brought to you by [writer] Matthew Rosenberg and [artist] Javier Garrón.

And finally, Black Bolt — the most famous and powerful Inhuman — is getting his first, long overdue solo series. [Writer] Saladin Ahmed and [artist] Christian Ward are throwing Black Bolt into the bowels of an inescapable prison unlike any you’ve ever seen before, populated by some of the most colorful characters you’ve ever met. Who put him there and why? Those are just two of the interesting questions that will be asked and answered.
>>
>>88774938
CBR: Looking at some of Marvel’s notable releases in 2016, starting with the big event series, “Civil War II” — that was something of a tough prospect going in, because the original was such a huge success. This wasn’t a direct sequel, but certainly linked in theme and name. The series itself shifted a bit as it went along, expanding to an extra issue and experiencing recurring delays. How do you rate the work Brian [Michael Bendis] and David [Marquez] have done on this series?

Alonso: We accomplished what we wanted with the story. Of course, we wish we could’ve wrapped it up on time, and we’re sorry about that, but we didn’t want to do that at the expense of the overall quality of the final package — and we think Brain and David wrote a beautiful story.

In terms of the event’s impact on the Marvel Universe, it’s having the ripple effect that we wanted: the emergence of the Champions as a counterpoint to the Avengers, the repositioning of Tony Stark and Carol Danvers, and the huge Hulk-sized hole created by Hawkeye’s arrow. As the story unfolds across the entire line, we will start to seed clues about the future that will have our hardcore fans salivating. Could “O.G.” Thor be worthy again? How long can Hydra Cap keep his secret? Did Bruce Banner have a contingency plan for his contingency plan? How dead is Logan? Is the Marvel Universe better off with Tony Stark off the board? [Laughs] These are the questions we have been contemplating.
>>
>>88774985
CBR: Another one of the big series from this year — one of the more anticipated series from Marvel in a long time — was “Black Panther” from Ta-Nehisi Coates and Brian Stelfreeze. I think it’s fair to say it’s lived up to the hype in the reception it got and the wider audience it’s reached, plus it’s already birthed a spinoff series, “World of Wakanda.” From your perspective, what has that book — and having writers like Ta-Nehisi Coates and Roxane Gay on board — meant to Marvel in the past year?

Alonso: I think it’s very important that we continue to grow the audience for comics — that we find as many new readers as possible, through as many platforms as possible, while entertaining and challenging the readers that are already out there. Part of that is contingent on finding new talent that can deliver the goods.

Ta-Nehisi has done just that with “Black Panther.” His love for the medium, his fundamental respect for the character and his mythology, the fact that he understands the ebb and flow of a comic book – all of this shows in his work. Ta-Nehisi brought new customers into stores. When a National Book Award-winning author pens a comic book — let alone someone like Ta-Nehisi writing a character like T’Challa — it’s going to be a lightning rod for attention, but the real challenge is creating a quality book that readers will return to. Ta-Nehisi has done that, and he has reinvigorated Wakanda so it’s a ripe place for stories featuring new characters and talent.
>>
>>88774985
>Alonso: We accomplished what we wanted with the story.
Turned your biggest female character into a fascist cunt that would make CWI Tony go "Jesus"?
>>
>>88775011
CBR: One of the notable things about this is that you can tell Coates is on for the long haul — he didn’t come in just to do a short story. He’s been already talking about his plans for the second year of the book. That makes a major difference.

Alonso: His second year is already outlined, and he’s already got ideas for a third year. And ideas for other characters…

CBR: Let’s touch on one more series, which was something of a surprise hit — “Vision” by Tom King and Gabriel Hernandez Walta. That was one of the most highly acclaimed books in years for Marvel, and I don’t know if anyone expected that going in — now that it’s completed, where do you see it in the echelon of great stories from your time as editor in chief?

Alonso: When I approved the outline, I said to [Editor] Wil Moss, “Well, this is a book I’m sure going to love!” I had no idea that it would connect with so many readers. “Vision” was so weird and quirky and deconstructionist in its take on the character. It was like seeing a Marvel Studios film directed by David Lynch. Tom and Gabriel crated a very special series. It’s a shame it had to end.
>>
>>88775049
CBR: The thing that’s been striking about Marvel over the past few years, is that there have been so many changes to characters like Jane Foster as Thor, Sam Wilson as Captain America, Amadeus Cho as Hulk, and they’ve actually stuck around, instead of reverting to the status quo after a story arc. How important is that to you, to not only make these changes but to stick by them?

Alonso: We never had any decree to change everything. All of these changes came naturally from the stories and there was just something in the air. Rick Remender was writing “Captain America” when he proposed Sam Wilson take the shield. Jason Aaron was writing a very popular “Thor” book when he came up with the game-changing idea of making Jane Foster the new Thor and made it even more popular. When [Editor] Mark Paniccia faced a new volume of Hulk, he pitched the idea of Amadeus Cho taking over the mantle as someone who didn’t view the Hulk as a curse. And when we decided to kill Wolverine, there were a lot of candidates on the table to replace him — Sabretooth, Daken, X-23 — and landed on the latter.

All of these moves happened separately and organically and we didn’t want any of them to be a short-term thing. That said, while we hoped and prayed these characters would connect with fans, we never lost sight of our classic characters. We always had a plan for each of them. In 2017, a lot of those plans will be revealed. Keep your eyes peeled for teasers and clues.
>>
Damage control
Damage control
Damage control
Please please please buy our comics
>>
>>88775072
CBR: There have already been quite a few series announced for 2017, from “Monsters Unleashed,” two Iron Fist books, the America Chavez series “America,” R.L. Stine on “Man-Thing” and more. What are you especially eager for readers to see?

Alonso: It’s impossible to pick. We have plenty of cool new series, a few of which you mentioned, but we’ve also got plenty of stuff that’s going to make our hardcore fans happy, none of which I can talk about yet. Well, except for the X-Men, which we’ve begun to reveal things about. Between the series we’ve announced and stuff we have planned, I think we’re going to hit their sweet spot.

CBR: Speaking of X-Men, it’s noticeable from the ResurrXion promo art released thus far, it does look a little more old-school, but it’s not just going backwards — it’s still reflective of everything that’s happened in the books over the years, like Old Man Logan being there instead of classic Wolverine.

Alonso: You walk a line. You want to be evocative of the past without being a Xerox machine, you know? You have to move forward. But I think there’s something to be said of stories and art styles that echo or reference what we loved as kids, and I think you’re going to see that throughout the books.
>>
>>88775081
It's not damage control dude, it's just a big advert.
>>
>>88774985
>but we didn’t want to do that at the expense of the overall quality of the final package
Because CW2 was such a quality story that shouldn't be ruined. From the Anti-Thanos tit-seeking Missles to the Anti-Hulk Arrow.
Brava
>>
>>88775038
Turning Dyke Danvers into a nazi is one of the most unintentionally amazing things Marvel has done in years. I want as many people to hate that disgusting cunt as possible.
>>
>>88775124
Who? Carol?
You know it' isn't her fault right?
If I have to blame someone for killing a character that is supposed to be your new flagship character then I would blame Bendis and the fucking editors for not putting a leash to him.
>>
>>88775049
>Alonso: When I approved the outline, I said to [Editor] Wil Moss, “Well, this is a book I’m sure going to love!” I had no idea that it would connect with so many readers. “Vision” was so weird and quirky and deconstructionist in its take on the character. It was like seeing a Marvel Studios film directed by David Lynch. Tom and Gabriel crated a very special series. It’s a shame it had to end.
Got to love how they quote the other works of the Marvel writers, but nothing for King. And the "it had to end" - no mention of unsustainable numbers.
>>
>>88775103
>>88775081
It's both.

I mean the CBR interviewer saying "Marvel has rebounded the past couple of months, though, back on top for October and November."? I guess they didn't want to mention how most of them were #1 debuts and how a lot of them had large drops.
>>
>>88775049
keep Coates contained to black characters
>>
>>88775176
And the fact DC offered him a sweet fat exclusive
>>
>>88775220
The oppisite of Priest
>>
>>88775011

He's such a loser. Why don't you try making books that your old readers like.
>>
>>88775011
>His love for the medium
Someone post the picture
>>
>>88775094
>art styles that echo or reference what we loved as kids, and I think you’re going to see that throughout the books.

HOUSE STYLE STRIKES BACK!, people who can't draw can't draw X-Men anymore.
>>
>>88774448
> We want to entertain and challenge long-term fan
They certainly are challenging their long-term fanbase.
Challenging them from staying.
>>
File: Marvel Masters of Evil.jpg (83KB, 970x728px) Image search: [Google]
Marvel Masters of Evil.jpg
83KB, 970x728px
>>88775341
This one?
>>
>>88775176
Vision will make bank for them long-term, though.

It will endure long after Bendis's hackery is forgotten.
>>
>>88775072
>Jason Aaron was writing a very popular “Thor” book when he came up with the game-changing idea of making Jane Foster the new Thor and made it even more popular.
Did he? Did he really make it more popular?
>>
>>88775781
>this is what Kingfags believe
>>
>>88775619
My dream is to write a book featuring Bendis's favourites...And ruin them all utterly.
>>
>>88775786
Sure, before the ANAD relaunch.
>>
>That is the corner of the Marvel Universe to keep your eye on. The street-level heroes — Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, the Punisher, Elektra, Misty Knight, Moon Knight, etc. — are going to be big players in the Marvel Universe in 2017, and their fates will become increasingly interconnected. We want to tell the stories that you see on the Netflix shows a few years from now.
Even further confirmation that Bendis is doing Defenders, as if the blatant teaser in Civil War II didn't make it obvious.
>>
>>88775846
God Save Black Cat, she's about to jobbed into oblivion.
>>
>>88775786
Yes
>>
>>88775811
My dream is to write a book featuring all the characters Bendis hates and has ruined (or tried to), like the Scarlet Witch, Jack of Hearts, Scott Land and D-Man.
I don't want to ruin any of Bendis' favourites unless they're his OCs.
>>
>>88775846
SYNERGY
Y
N
E
R
G
Y
>>
>>88775912
My dream is to
>Bring back Victoria Hand
>Victoria seduces Riri
>Riri falls in love with her
>''I was only pretending to be lesbian''
>Riri kills herself
And to ruin Ulysses too but I still haven't figured out how.
>>
>>88775846
I sure hope Bendis doesn't try to shoehorn Jessica Jones into this team.
>>
>>88775846
Also, "Perlmutter still controls the TV shows, so we're gonna push them more"

Honestly, I wonder what would've happen if the split between Marvel film and TV got so bad that Infinity War is used to separate them into two universes, with MCU being just the films we've seen so far and a Marvel TV universe that's just Agents of Shield, Inhumans, and the Netflix shows.
>>
>>88775912

So relaunching West Coast Avengers and making it great?

seriously i think everyone bendis hates is in that.
>>
>>88775973
There is 0% chance that she won't be a part of it.
>>
>>88775846

>Bendis is doing Defenders

yes but we've also been saying that's been coming since he left Avengers.
>>
>>88775846
CALLED IT

Knew it would be Defenders or Thunderbolts after he was done with GOTG

I wonder how bad he's gonna suck at Daredevil given how bad his new Jessica Jones book is
>>
>>88775980
Doesn't matter. Ike the Kike has been caught on film. It's just a matter of time untill Stan the Man consumes his soul.
>>
File: Netflix Defenders.jpg (527KB, 1373x1227px) Image search: [Google]
Netflix Defenders.jpg
527KB, 1373x1227px
>>88775846
>>88775980
Here comes Bendis.

>>88775973
About that...
>>
>>88776035
How do we fix Mockingbird /co/mrades?
>>
>>88776090

1. ignore phantom rider forever
2. fun and sexy spy adventures
>>
>>88776071
>I'm going to focus on the good that might have come out of this
How exactly does the formation of these New Defenders have anything to do with the "the good" that came out of Civil War II? It hasn't even been officially announced yet, meaning it won't happen for at least 4 months (probably more) after Civil War II ended.
>>
>>88776090
It's a Skrull. This is always the best solution.
>>
>>88776071
Son of a fucking BITCH

I cannot stand Jessica Jones. She is not cool and she is not popular. She is complete trash, which is to be expected from Bendis' pet girl.
>>
>>88776071
When did DD change costume?
>>
>>88776106
>Sexy spy adventures
>With current Marvel
My dick wants to believe
>>
>>88776047
>how bad his new Jessica Jones book is
What's bad about it?

>>88776135
I'm sorry to say this, but her TV show getting renewed for a second season proves that she kind of is. That and the fact that reprints of Alias still sell.
>>
>>88775973
>his creation
>got a tv show
>gonna be in the Defenders show

Why on earth would she not be in the book
>>
>>88776135
member when Bendis created a good waiu but somehow decided to ruin her?
>>
>>88776153

to clarify i did mean in the vein of the Cain series
>>
>>88776149
Last year, as part of ANAD.
It's actually very similar to his Shadowland costume, only with red gloves.
>>
>>88776090
The time she spent on the Skrull homeworld damaged her brain.
>>
>>88776180
Why is there a fat guy on a leather suit?
>>
>>88776135
As long as he stays away from Moon Knight and Ghost riders, I don't care.
>>
File: blgv1130.jpg (34KB, 362x337px) Image search: [Google]
blgv1130.jpg
34KB, 362x337px
>>88776187
>Shadowland
>>
>>88776220
I doubt Bendis will touch Ghost Rider, but Moon Knight is definetly at risk of joining the Defenders. He's a street-level character, Bendis has written a solo series of him before, and he very well could be getting a Netflix series one day.
>>
What's up with Bendis fixation with synergy?
>>
>>88776220
>Ghost Rider? But you drive a car.
>it should be Ghost Driver if anything
>Ghost Driver?
>Ghost Driver, you drive, you're a ghost. Ghost. Driver.

It's coming.
>>
>>88775846
Someone post that pic where Axel Amit's he lets Bendis pick first of all comics.
>>
I fucking hate interviews like this. These aren't even questions. This is just one guy verbally sucking Marvel's cock and asking just how great they are in several different ways. You really want to do an interview about the year? Ask about how people are raging about Carol being an utter bitch in Civil War. Talk about how you completely fucked up making the Inhumans likeable. Talk about the real reasons you think sales are down compared to DC.

Or not. Just suck on Marvel's knob some more. Fuck.
>>
>>88776118
>How exactly does the formation of these New Defenders have anything to do with the "the good" that came out of Civil War II?
It means Bendis is leaving Guardians for a team that he will be better suited for writing.
>>
>>88775846
>We want to tell the stories that you see on the Netflix shows a few years from now.
Just like how Civil War II was to be a future MCU film?
>>
>>88776390
at least we know why Kitty's back on Earth.
>>
>>88775980
Anon, there's no fucking way that Agents of SHIELD lasts until post-Infinity War, and this is coming from a fan.
>>
>>88776428
B-but muh waifus
>>
>>88776153
>>88776106
>sexy
>[current year]
>[current Marvel]
u wot m8

>>88776180
>the Cain series
>good
I guess I'd be okay if they took the concept behind the Cain series, and gave it to someone who isn't Cain
>>
>>88776428
Anon, AoS probably won't even make it to Infinity Wars period.
>>
>>88776307
Because his name isn't a draw and he needs big numbers to justify his place in Marvel.
>>
>>88776465
I think they can probably squeeze one more season out of it.
>>
>>88776475
His name would be a draw if he wasn't such a lazy writer.
>>
>>88776444
The Cain series was fine, even good at times, outside of the third and eighth issues which were such atrocious dumpster fires that it ruined any and all good will the rest of the series got.

Mockingbird #8 might actually be the worst single issue of the year.
>>
>>88776500
They could try, but they are already on their last legs.

Man, I know they are trying to push street marvel, but I completely don't care about it. Sure, I watch the Netflix shows, but would it kill them to not take place in NYC the whole time?
>>
>>88776574
>would it kill them to not take place in NYC the whole time?
Yes, actually, because the Netflix shows are being made via a contract with the city of New York so all filming is done exclusively there, and almost every street level Marvel character operates exclusively out of NYC.
>>
>>88776310
This is causing me physical pain.
>>
>>88776278
I need Warren Ellis to kill Bendis.
>>
>>88776727
I need Al Ewing to kill Bendis.
>>
>>88776727
Well, Ellis isn't a sorcerer, unlike some writers, so that might be difficult.
>>
>>88776727
Why Ellis?

>>88776738
Ewing is definitely Bendis' counterpart from a universe where everything turned out in the best possible way.
>>
>>88776771
>Bendis is Bizarro Ewing
>>
>>88776835
I think so right? Super regard for continuity vs. no regard for continuity. Being able to do a character's voice right really quickly vs. always using your own voice no matter the character. The way they both like Dani Cage is like the one weird point of synchronicity.
>>
>>88776524
I'd say #3 is still worse.
But anyway, that's what I mean by saying keep the concept but give it to someone decent
>>
>>88776727
How would Ellis do that? He's just an old british guy with a cane.

I think you mean one of the comic book wizards, like Alan Moore, Grant Morrison or Steve Ditko
>>
>>88776865
If you could choose one writer to ruin one character created by Bendis or that Bendis likes, who would you choose?
Mine would be Ewing and Riri.
>>
File: 1483057109459.jpg (134KB, 846x960px) Image search: [Google]
1483057109459.jpg
134KB, 846x960px
>>88774448
>We want to entertain and challenge long-term fans, bring in new fans, and sell a lot of comics.
>That's why we alienated longtime fans with millennial pandering, gender politics and directionless stories
>That's why we failed to cull a fanbase outside of the flash in the pan moviegoers
>That's why we've been fucked in the ass by DC in sales to the point we're dangling free comics in front of everyone's noses to goad them into buying our shit

Can some reporter just grow a spine and ask him why he's ruining everything?
>>
>>88776948
I want Frank Miller to write Kitty Pryde, because FUCK YOUR WAIFU, BRIAN.
>>
>>88776948
Stan comes back to crash Miles with no survivors. Only when Bendis is broken and groveling at the feet of the dark lord, then will his soul be taken.
>>
>>88776943
>Ditko
He only cares about himself.
>>
>>88777018
This is so deliciously evil. I love it.
>>
>>88774448
>Marvel has rebounded the past couple of months, though, back on top for October and November.
Hardly. October only if you count Star Wars (which is fair to count). November has 5 in the top 20, only 4 in the top 10

>What matters to us is how we run our business, and how that contributes to the overall health of the industry.
>by pandering to tumblrites who don't buy comics, we're morally better than other comic book companies
>>
>>88775846
Well it's an oft-expressed sentiment around here that Bendis should stick to doing street level stories. I guess Marvel was listening.
>>
Will any comic book site ever interview a comic writer/artist/representative as if they weren't on their knees sucking cock at the time?

These guys don't even really ask questions they just angle the situation so the interviewee can brag.
>>
>>88777018
I want Byrne to write Kitty again ;_;
>>
>>88777246
No, all the bigger comic sites are in the big two's pockets because if they aren't, DC and marvel can stop exclusive previews among other things.
>>
>>88777246
>>88777692
There's a reason Rich Johnston has to rely on rumors and "sources" to get his scoops.
>>
>>88776727
I need Stan Lee to kill Bendis.
>>
>>88776948
Ewing is probably 100% behind Riri, though. He'd probably write her well and make her entertaining, yeah, but at the end of the day he's leftist as fuck and he probably thinks "black girl Iron Man" is a good idea.
I'd rather give Riri to someone who'd be willing to reinvent her entire base concept to make her interesting. (C'mon, mech pilot with a giant robot from outer space.)
>>
>>88776909
#8 is worse just for the retcon. #3 was bad, but it didn't retroactively ruin years of stories.
I fucking hate Cain.
>>
File: GerardWay - Artes.jpg (167KB, 1070x1518px) Image search: [Google]
GerardWay - Artes.jpg
167KB, 1070x1518px
>>88777889
>(C'mon, mech pilot with a giant robot from outer space.)
I know a guy who could do it well
>>
>>88777922
You have a point
>>
File: image.jpg (187KB, 662x483px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
187KB, 662x483px
>>
>>88777889
>leftist as fuck
You're a retard
>>
>>88778053
>I'm the last thing from a social justice warrior
Well... at least he's kind of ashamed of being considered a SJW. That's a start, I guess

>(inaudible)
[EXPUNGED]

>My wife is Korean, which makes me Korean, alright?
Lolwut
>>
>>88778053
>Of course, we off everything to Bendis first
Well, it's confirmed.
>>
>>88777765
People act like this is not the way it should be.
>>
>>88774985
>Alonso: We accomplished what we wanted with the story.

Of course you accomplished what you wanted... Your event was nothing more than a checklist of editorial mandates and promotion images
>>
File: Marvel Promoting CW2.jpg (245KB, 639x383px) Image search: [Google]
Marvel Promoting CW2.jpg
245KB, 639x383px
>>88774814
Now of course they have to say that. It would be refreshing to hear them accept the mess they made and say they'll work on what went wrong but it's always a spin.
>>
>>88776909
>I'd say #3 is still worse.
#3 was bad but it didn't ruin the character by retconning her murdering her rapist into her murdering the person she willingly cheated on Clint with because he was too clingy.
>>
>>88778348
>People act like this is not the way it should be.
It shouldn't.

These comic "news" sites are full of reviews and interviews and should actually ask questions that challenge the interviewer.

Your comic sales have sucked, why do you think this is?

Secret Wars wasn't the big blowout you promised, and was beleaguered by delays, and Civil War 2 is almost as big a bomb, have you decided to change any future plans, specifically regarding events, because of this?

Comic book shops are having a harder time selling your comics, with old fans not liking the ways you're taking characters, and new fans not having anything to interest them. What are your plans to deal with this?
>>
>>88777889
>I'd rather give Riri to someone who'd be willing to reinvent her entire base concept to make her interesting. (C'mon, mech pilot with a giant robot from outer space.)
The idea that we came up with in her first storytime (make her a Punisher legacy instead of an Iron Man legacy and call her Ironskull) would have been fucking great. You could even keep the same exact origin that Bendis gave her and make it work.
>>
>>88778108
Most of his comics have black people in them, anon.
>>
>>88779205
So do /pol/'s
>>
>>88779205
Daft cunt.
>>
File: RAGEBOB ANGERPANTS.jpg (185KB, 534x1236px) Image search: [Google]
RAGEBOB ANGERPANTS.jpg
185KB, 534x1236px
>>88776310
OH FUCK YOU
>>
>>88779179
I think this is a particular problem with Alonso. I don't know from what kind of an EiC he is, but in interviews he is a total stiff.

Whenever Tom Brevoort would take over the "Axel in Charge" column he'd give interesting, specific information. He wouldn't admit that something sucked, of course, but there are a lot of things you can say without compromising the company.

The comics "journalists" are never going to ask probing questions but there are still ways to give interviews that aren't a series of robotic talking points.
>>
>>88774448
>What matters to us is how we run our business, and how that contributes to the overall health of the industry.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>we do not view returnability as a strategy that contributes to the overall health of the industry. Recent numbers and feedback from retailers is confirming that.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

But fucking sending out thousands and thousands of free unwanted copies of comics to retailers for the sole purpose of bumping your numbers or counting scholastic or loot crate or having a million incentive variants or relaunching twice a year is perfectly fine and healthy and totally not harming the industry in any way.

If the CBR guy doing the interview had any balls he'd call him out on this.
>>
>>88775846
>Moon Knight
>you see on the Netflix shows a few years

SOON
>>
>>88774915
>Jonboy Meyers will launch “Royals,”
I can't believe he left Teen Titans for this shit. Marvel had to have offered him something big in return. Probably a higher profile gig when Royals inevitably is cancelled.in 6-12 issues.
>>
>>88780945
They probably offered him a book where the writer wouldn't force Trigon on him
>>
>>88774448
>we do not view returnability as a strategy that contributes to the overall health of the industry. Recent numbers and feedback from retailers is confirming that.
The fuck? Every retailer that talks about this kind of stuff publicly have said they fucking loved Rebirth's returnability because it enabled them to take a bit of a gamble initially so they knew what their actual numbers would be without worrying that a heap of #1's and #2's would end up in the dollar bin.

He is fucking bald faced lying.
>>
>>88780962
>Trigon
>in a book with Raven as a main
if he didn't expect it going in then he's a retard.
>>
>>88774448
>We want to entertain and challenge long-term fans

We want to entertain and challenge short-term fans

FTFY Alonso
>>
>>88781418
We want to entertain short-term fans
and challenge long-term fans with awful editorial decisions and bad writing
>>
>>88775072
>we never lost sight of our classic characters
FUCKING LIE
>>
>That said, and I said this several months ago, we do not view returnability as a strategy that contributes to the overall health of the industry. Recent numbers and feedback from retailers is confirming that.
?????? Give this man a gold medal in mental gymnastics.
>>
>>88781026
I'm waiting to see if the retailers who tweet or post or talk to Bleeding Cool will react to his comment.
>>
Has there ever been a worse editor than Alonso?
>>
File: Marvel October-November sales.jpg (591KB, 1461x1698px) Image search: [Google]
Marvel October-November sales.jpg
591KB, 1461x1698px
>>88781928
To be fair if you look at what the CBR interviewer said, "Marvel has rebounded the past couple of months, though, back on top for October and November" it was already setting the tone.

If you look at the October chart on the left in this image, notice the Marvel comics that managed to make it into the Top 50. On the right is the November chart showing where those Top Marvel books for October charted a month later.
>>
>>88775619
Sam Humphries there like "how the fuck do I get outta here"
>>
>>88782740
>Strange and Champions dropped over 80% after the first issue
Marvel killing itself was sad at first but now it's just amusing.
>>
>>88782911
That's mainly cause their first issues had a lot of variants and included with subscription boxes.
>>
>>88782911
>Marvel killing itself
>A Disney owned company being able to die

LOL
>>
>>88784098
Silly anon. Disney's company is Marvel Studios. Marvel Entertainment is just cheap side business.
>>
File: 1415821917966.png (154KB, 301x441px) Image search: [Google]
1415821917966.png
154KB, 301x441px
>>88774814
>overall quality
>CW2
>>
>>88775220
Fuck off.

Coates has done pretty well for his first comics work and I can imagine him being pretty decent with some experience under his belt. He's also written it like someone who actually gives a fuck about continuity, which is nice. You can tell he is a fan of the Priest run.

I can understand not liking his Black Panther run, but he's not someone who needs to be "contained," unlike /pol/.
>>
>>88784664
You're obviously not familiar with his other work. I respect him for being eloquent in how he expresses his beliefs but letting him play outside of BP is a bad idea.
>>
>>88782911
>Strange and Champions dropped over 80% after the first issue
Damn, Strange is decent though. I mean fuck champions but SatSS is fun. Fuck you marvel.
>>
>>88774448
>We don’t view the audience as finite, so whenever someone sells a comic book, it’s a victory for our medium
>whenever someone sells a comic book

What about when someone gives them away, eh Marlel?

>That said, and I said this several months ago, we do not view returnability as a strategy that contributes to the overall health of the industry. Recent numbers and feedback from retailers is confirming that.

translation:
>DC is the real villain here!
>>
>>88775049
>It was like seeing a Marvel Studios film directed by David Lynch

Jesus, Marvel can't even think about their comics without focusing on their movies. It's obvious how much they resent still having to make comics.
>>
>>88775966
How can you ruin Ulysses? He's not even a character.

I guess you could make him some evil superweapon or some shit.
>>
>>88776524
>The Cain series was fine, even good at times
No it wasn't. You're just blinded by how bad 3 and 8 were, that the rest of that garbage looks good to you in comparison.
>>
>>88787274
Because comics are dumb picture books for nerds. Why would they enjoy making something so lame?
>>
Fuck Bendis
Fuck Brevoort
Fuck Alonso
>>
>>88788183
AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!
>>
>>88778108
He was the one who made Captain Britain into a Muslim woman, anon, and had Brian Braddock and Outlaw complain about the Conservative Party's policies. It may not be as obvious to Americans, but he's pretty open about his dislike of right-wing politics.
>>
>>88774985
>This wasn’t a direct sequel
Yes it was, CBR. It was fucking called "Civil War II".
>>
>>88774985
you mean you intentionally tanked sales?
>>
>>88775072
>We never had any decree to change everything. All of these changes came naturally from the stories and there was just something in the air.
What a load of horseshit.
>>
>>88776165
Go to bed, Bendis.
>>
>>88776365
While I agree with you on principle, the fact of the matter is that CBR's livelihood completely depends on the comic industry's survival. This means they need Marvel to survive because Marvel takes up nearly half the total market share of the industry. I fucking hate Marvel, but if they went out of business, the whole comic industry would likely collapse. CBR would be out of a job at that point.
>>
>>88790801
Marvel isn't going to go out of business just because CBR decides to give their editor harder and more critical questions in an interview. I don't get why you people think Marvel even has a chance of going out of business. You do realize they're owned by Disney, right?
>>
>>88791217
>You do realize they're owned by Disney, right?
Which will shut them down if they keep losing money.
>>
>>88786348
>if you let black writers go mainstream, then whites have more people to compete with for gigs

Suck it up, Abby.
>>
>>88791336
>Coates is the first black writer to go mainstream evar

WE
>>
>>88791679
Suck it up.

And no. No black writers have hit mainstream yet. You don't see niggers consistently on the heavy hitters like X, Spider, Batman, etc.
>>
>>88792088
>who is Christopher Priest
>who was Dwayne McDuffie
>who was Robert Washington III
Nigga you just went full retard

Not to mention a shitton of black artists in the industry
>>
>>88787906
/tv/ fuck off
>>
>>88791217
>>88784098
You know what else was owned by Disney? Disney Infinity.
>>
>>88774938
>Ms. Marvel in another team book
Fuck this shit. Can there just be an unwritten rule that the only person allowed to write Kamala is Wildon?
>>
>>88791255

You mean like how Warner Brothers shut down DC after they bled money for years?
>>
>>88794336
The DC CEO isn't Perlmutter, that's for sure.
>>
>>88774851
>All of us up here know “The Clone Saga” and the wildly varied and passionate responses it got.

That's a weird way to say "universally hated".

>>88774874
>the X-Men are superheroes fighting for what they believe in, unencumbered by the existential questions and in-fighting that have nagged at them for years.

So getting rid of one of the things that made them so great?

>>88774915
>“Royals,” a new ongoing series that will take the Inhuman Royal Family to the far reaches of the Marvel Universe

The Inhumans will be kicked off the planet? Serves em right.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sbxe8XhYbU

>Ta Nehisi Coates

Also changes happening organically is bullshit
>>
>>88792935
Rosenberg wrote the recent and awesome Kingpin mini, so I'm willing to give him a chance with Kamala.
>>
>>88775966
>And to ruin Ulysses too but I still haven't figured out how.

write him well
>>
>>88776106
>1. ignore phantom rider forever

this. if you have to remove a "problematic" backstory, do it like with Carol and take it out completely. don't make it, "he was mean to me so as an empowered woman I murdered him!"
>>
>>88794776
>Also changes happening organically is bullshit

It's pretty obvious it wasn't. They debuted Jane Thor on The View.
>>
>>88774448
>What matters to us is how we run our business, and how that contributes to the overall health of the industry. We want to entertain and challenge long-term fans, bring in new fans, and sell a lot of comics. We don’t view the audience as finite, so whenever someone sells a comic book, it’s a victory for our medium. That said, and I said this several months ago, we do not view returnability as a strategy that contributes to the overall health of the industry. Recent numbers and feedback from retailers is confirming that.
One answer in and already full of shit.
>>
File: Jew vs Jew.png (195KB, 1853x1158px) Image search: [Google]
Jew vs Jew.png
195KB, 1853x1158px
>>88794336
>>88794377
>The DC CEO isn't Perlmutter, that's for sure.

This.
>>
File: 1482940265257.png (2MB, 575x1331px) Image search: [Google]
1482940265257.png
2MB, 575x1331px
>>88792746
And that thing, ironically, failed because of pushing Marvel properties too hard, as in, characters that couldn't sell, like FUCKINGYONDU.

And Disney also deciding to stop with the in house games after multiple failed attempts.

Sadly, that also meant losing Marvel Avengers Alliance.

godfuckingdamnit, I'm still upset about that.
>>
>>88775220
Fuck that. I want Coates to come and write an X-Men book.
>>
>>88777849

I need Stan Lee to consume Perlmutter's-- well, whatever it is that passes for a soul in that rotten penny-pinching homunculus.
>>
>>88774448
Marvel is cancer
>>
>>88774896
>Over in the veterans category, we have Marc Guggenheim — a successful TV showrunner who made his comic book debut with “Wolverine: Civil War”
The guy who had Wolverine regenerate from skeleton huh
>>
>>88774938
>The book is “Secret Warriors,” the team is Quake, Ms. Marvel, Moon Girl and Inferno
whoa haha hey we got a top seller right here
>>
>>88800591
>penny-pinching homunculus
Goes hand in hand with "uncle fester-looking motherfucker". Congratulations, anon.
>>
DC is on track to finish an event in a fucking month. An event that only effects two books.

Marvel can't even finish an event before their next relaunch, and it interrupts and disrupts almost every book.

Why do people bother with Marvel anymore?
>>
>>88775049
I love how they ignore that Vision got a boost because of King's popularity at DC. Way to also not credit the fucking guy for being original and instead push movie drivel.
>>
>>88774448
I can't read this without rolling my eyes. His entire tenure has been a massive "fuck you" to longtime fans.
>>
>>88775072
>We never had any decree to change everything. All of these changes came naturally from the stories and there was just something in the air.
That "something in the air" was the smell of bullshit.
>>
File: IMG_1683.jpg (157KB, 1241x1735px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1683.jpg
157KB, 1241x1735px
>>88774814
>Quality
>Civil War anything
>NuMarvel anything
>>
>>88774985
>How dead is Logan?
COMIC BOOKS
>>
>>88776071
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcXQy4AI96U
>>
>>88775619
Masters of Evil is a complement.
>>
>>88776106
All New, All-Different Phantom Rider that is a cute spooky ghost girl and her horse when?
>>
>>88774938
Axel forgot Karnak was secret warriors
>>
>>88804397
3 years.
>>
>>88804111
>DC is on track to finish an event in a fucking month. An event that only effects two books.

That's not really an event. That's a crossover.
>>
>>88804933
Karnak becomes Kamala's love interest
>>
>>88778108
>Literally wrote a comic book about a Muslim women being the face of the United Kingdom multiple times.
>>
>>88805000
DC is calling it the first major Rebirth event though. And they're doing it as a weekly.

Now I haven't read League vs Squad but the fact that it's so damn non-intrusive is wonderful. And it's how DC has been doing events for a while now.
>>
>>88776365
Yeah, this is clearly an email interview. There's nothing "real" in this interview; Alonso's answers are clearly thought out and refined, and completely unnatural as a result.
>>
>>88805218
The Monster shit with the Batfam was bigger than that garbanzo. I haven't touched an issue of the Suicide Squad shit.
>>
>>88805364
>6 issues of Monster Men
>11 total issues of JL vs Squad+JLA One Shots+One bonus Squad tie-in

Sorry to tell you but 6 is not the bigger number here.
>>
>>88792355
Priest and McDuffie were literally "the black writer guy" to the point McDuffie proposed a team of Night Thrasher and Rocket Racer and a mysterious OC which sounded exactly like a normal book and not weird at all when it was a parody.
>>
>>88804449
When did Dazzler become a magical girl?
>>
>>88805503
Priest stopped writing because he was only given the black writers, and many black writers didn't like being shoved in that hole either.

Priest likely wouldn't have come back to the industry if he wasn't offered Deathstroke.
>>
>>88805581
>Deathstroke is now black
>>
>>88805560
Dazzler wishes she was that outrageous.
>>
>>88796984
Me too.

But they don't let minorities handle the big books (and barely at all) at racist-ass Marvel, no matter how much pretending they do in interviews.
>>
>>88774985
>Did Bruce Banner have a contingency plan for his contingency plan?
Since when is Banner Batman? Or Aeolia Schenberg? Or The Doctor?
>>
>>88778053
>My wife is Korean, so that makes me Korean, alright?
That...that's not how that works. That's not how that works at all. Someone tell him that's not how it works. The man needs know that's not how it works.
>>
>>88804397
He's only medium-rare dead. He's still got some life in him yet, but not much.
>>
>>88806260
I wonder if this is why the CBR interview is like >>88805234 says.
>>
>>88806553
I'm >>88805234 again.
The easiest way to tell if an interview was conducted over email is to look at the questions being asked and the length of replies.
If the questions don't seem to have any natural flow from the previous question or reply, switching from subject to subject at will, then it's a good sign that the interviewer is just typing away at a computer screen. Plus, if it's nothing BUT questions, with little to no between-question anecdotes or asides, then it's definitely not natural.

If the replies seem to ramble on for a long time, then the interviewee, then it's all probably done by email due to the lack of limitations upon the interviewee as well as the ability to extend, expand, and refine a thought before sending it out.

I took a journalism crash course in August, and one of the main points they made about interviews for news articles was to avoid email interviews except as a last resort, for the reasons listed above. When you're doing an interview, you want natural, realistic dialogue. Raw, unrefined thoughts make for a better story than for drivel by committee. And if you're worried you get something wrong, that's why you call them back with an accuracy check.

Simply put: CBR does interviews by email, and it's awful journalism. Furthermore, they absolutely softballed when it came to the questions they asked; there is zero indication they even attempted to be hard-hitting, as other Anons have pointed out in this thread.
>>
>>88806826
>Simply put: CBR does interviews by email, and it's awful journalism. Furthermore, they absolutely softballed when it came to the questions they asked; there is zero indication they even attempted to be hard-hitting, as other Anons have pointed out in this thread.

I guess it doesn't surprise me since CBR's been tight with Marvel since after OMD finished and Newsarama published a response from JMS.

The screencap from >>88778053 is a transcript from the Black Panther 50th anniversary panel at NYCC where Axel'd be talking naturally. I wondered if he's just sticking to e-mail interviews for now?
>>
>>88774915
This sounds...not bad. Al Ewing doing Inhumans in space is something that could work. I mean, they could basically be shi ar with all their hiarchy. Get them off the earth is great news
>>
>>88807462
Reading the transcript again, that certainly does read more like something improvised and off-the-cuff.
And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel and/or DC avoid phone interviews to avoid situations like that. Again, with email interviews, you give more control to the interviewee than you think.
>>
>>88780962
They weren't on Trigon yet and his art was cute.

This is a total bummer. Teen Titans was almost decent. Goddamn curse.
Thread posts: 220
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.