[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where should I start with Marvel? I hear current Marvel is shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: marvel-characters.jpg (941KB, 1836x1197px) Image search: [Google]
marvel-characters.jpg
941KB, 1836x1197px
Where should I start with Marvel?
I hear current Marvel is shit and I hate Stan Lee's writing style.
>>
>>88624139
Just stick to DC. That's where the masterworks are. I'd highly recommend the current Superman run which is arguably one of the greatest cape comics ever made.
>>
Here's my go-to Marvel recommendation list (leaving out the Stan Lee written stuff since you don't like his writing style):
>Marvels & Marvels: Eye of the Camera
>Earth-X
>Shooter's Marvel Superheroes: Secret Wars
>Hickman's Fantastic Four
>Bendis' Ultimate Spider-man
>Miller's Daredevil
>Simonson's Thor
>Busiek's Avengers
>Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme
>Morrison's New X-men
>Ellis' Moon Knight
>Iron man: Extremis
>Kelly's Deadpool
>Ennis' Punisher MAX
>Starlin's Warlock/Thanos Quest/Infinity Gauntlet
>Annihilation + all the tie-ins
>Steranko's Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD
>Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist
>Spencer's Superior Foes of Spider-man
>Thunderbolts (all of it except Fightbolts and Frankbolts)
>Death of Captain Marvel
>Fraction's Hawkeye
>Millar's Ultimates 1 & 2
>Peter David's Incredible Hulk (or at least Future Imperfect since his run on Hulk is extremely long with some ups and downs, but FI is a pretty self-contained story within it and one of the highest points)
>X-Statix
>Remender's Uncanny X-force
>Silver Surfer: Requiem
>Bendis' Alias
>Ellis' NEXTWAVE
>Gillen's Journey into Mystery
>The Original Writer's Miracleman
>Moore's Captain Britain
>Kirby's The Eternals
>Lee/Jenkins' Inhumans
>Brubaker's Captain America
>BKV's Runaways
>Gerber's Howard the Duck
There ya' go. That'll get you a nice cross-section of most Marvel franchises. Then the ones you liked the most, you can dig deeper into those particular characters' other great runs/stories.
>>
>>88624139
http://comraderecs.tumblr.com/
>>
>>88624139
>Where should I start with Marvel?

Don't. Read DC.
>>
>>88624139
Dont bother.
>>
>>88624139
Start with the Max series, that's usually the gateway drug into Marvel. These are the best two the start on.

>http://viewcomic.com/the-punisher-max-v1-001/

>http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Fury-MAX/Issue-1?id=61125

Don't listen to the company war fags telling you not to. Just pick and chose from the good comics from multiple different companies.
>>
>>88624139
Marvel. Secret Wars 1984 even if was made 4 sell toys is a nice start if u don't want to read something from the 60's, from there u can choose to continue or see something from the 60's but don't go with the Xmen from the 60's they r horrible
>>
>>88624210
lel
gg anon
>>
File: U 6-2.jpg (1MB, 3975x3056px) Image search: [Google]
U 6-2.jpg
1MB, 3975x3056px
>>88624139
I picked up what was out at the time and ended up working my way outwarwd & backward from there, depending on what interested me.
As such I recommend Ultimiates by Al Ewing & Kenneth Rocafort. It started last year, went on for 12 issues and had a relaunch last month as Ultimates^2. Best current series. Will end with a big event.
>>
>>88624537
Ignore this chump. Read Image.
>>
>>88624139
Claremont X-Men.
>>
Like other anons have said, there are other books that are both better and cheaper. However, for Marvel specifically I find that the best stories are on the C-listers and below. I've personally really enjoyed Fraction's Hawkeye (although not so much the Kate focused trade), Infernal Man-Thing by Steve Gerber (and I hear his other Man-Thing stories are also good reads, but they are from the 70s), All-New Ghost Rider was also a fun ride but it got fucked over by event bullshit which I hear is a common problem in modern marvel titles. Any indication of things that you like or might be interested in?
>>
>>88625630
Infernal Man-Thing was written in the 80s. The art took a very long time to get done.
>>
>>88626051
kek
>>
>>88626051
Yeah, I was aware of that but it was neither of OP's specified problem areas.
>>
File: img_0046.png (144KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
img_0046.png
144KB, 320x240px
>people recommending post-Quesada Marvel
>>
>>88626259
>falling for the memes
wew lad
>>
>>88626201
Just a little confused by why you would single out the original run as being from the 70s when Infernal is only a bit younger.
>>
>>88624308
>>Kelly's Deadpool
wasn't that great
>>
>>88626631
It's a solid introduction to the character and if you liked it, then chances are you'd like the other solid runs that followed (Cable & Deadpool and Duggan's Deadpool). If you don't like Kelly's run, then chances are you wouldn't like the rest of the good Deadpool runs.
>>
>>88624210
>>88624537
>>88624653
>company wars
Back to /tv/ with you
>>
>>88628550
t. Marvel shill

Doesn't Kike Perlmutter give you interns Hannukah off?
>>
Claremont's X-Men, that run revolutionized the company.
>>
>>88624139
All of Squadron Supreme is a must read.
The newer X-Factor
Deadpool and Agent X books.
Thunderbolts
Runaways

Anything Bendis blows. Yes even your precious Alias has horrible dialogue.
>>
>>88626631
>>>Kelly's Deadpool
>wasn't that great

I loved it, but I'm a Deadpool fan.

I'll always be a characterfag and I have no shame in being one, I only read comics about characters I personally like, and get mad when they suck instead of just reading something that may be good about a character I have no interest in
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.