[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any form of a collected original Miracleman? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 4L_UJfPJ57Q.jpg (136KB, 549x800px) Image search: [Google]
4L_UJfPJ57Q.jpg
136KB, 549x800px
Is there any form of a collected original Miracleman?

I'm probably being autistic but I can't do the Marvel reprints as I feel like they take too much away from the story.
>>
>>88613404
Yeah. Eclipse released 3 trades (both hard and softcover) completely collecting the Moore stuff. Long out of print, so good luck finding them at a decent price.
>>
I heard Marvel edited it. I'd originally heard they were only recoloring it. Sounds like a dick move, if true.
>>
>>88613977
i've only read the marvel reprints, but I think that they changed "faggot" into "queer" and "nigger" into "darkie".
>>
I'm with you, Marvel owes us an original Omni IMO considering how badly they butchered the colors
The Totleben issues were painted for fuck's sake they didn't need alteration, they weren't 64 color scheme. I think recolors are a way of not paying royalties, nothing more.
>>
>>88614414
eh, the colours weren't really awful, they just didn't match the tone of the series. really they were very technically competent, but were unnecessary.
>>
>>88614733
No, they were straight up butchered in many instances. Totleben's art becomes washed out and his masterful inking becomes way less noticable due to the color changes (once again no need to change painted colors to print them on high gloss paper so there's genuinely no excuse)
Then we have the choice to change Mircaleman's energy blasts from a nuclear orange/purple at the beginning of the story to the translucent white energy he later gets when he learns more about his abilities, from the getgo. It's thematically all wrong, and frankly looks worse for that artstyle, he got the tinkerbell look under totleben which worked, under the more silver age pencils it looks bad. The attempt to apply a more photorealistic appearance to a lot of the characters is also really ugly in the early issues where the flat cartoonish appearance of the original was entirely intentional.
>>
Yes and no.

As originally published in Warrior, Miracleman #1-6 have never been collected in it's original black and white.

Eclipse collected the entire Moore run in soft and hardcover collections, but they had super low print run. While V1 can be bought cheap, V2 sells for several hundred bucks and V3 (Olympus) has gone for over $1000 in the past, with the prices not really dropping even with the new Marvel HCs.

>>88614414
Omnibus ain't coming for a long long time; Marvel plans on extracting every penny they can out of the Moore run.

Right now all that is available are the HCs and Marvel won't even think about releasing softcover versions until the HC collections sell out. And any omnibus will be the recolor versions....

(as for why Marvel recolored the issues? it was part of the deal they made to get the artists to give their blessing for the project or in the case of Rich Veitch, to sign off ownership of the artwork for his issues, as he held ownership over it and the visuals of several key characters, like Miraclewoman, hostage.

In particular, the coloring of the Chuck Austen issue was infamous for how it took a storyline that took place at night and suddenly having it be daylight due to the colorists not giving a fuck. And Alan Davis was never allowed ANY say in how his art was colorized when it was published by Eclipse due to Moore being a shit who was pissed off Davis refused to commit career suicide with him).
>>
>>88613404
I don't know how the fuck I'm supposed to read this series. All I ever hear is that the reprints suck, so I don't want to buy them. Should I just get the reprints? Is it that bad?
>>
>>88618365
Piracy.
>>
Rankings:

Warrior B&W = Eclipse TPB colors >>>>>>> Eclipse #7-10 colors >>>>>>> Marvel colors >>>>>> Eclipse #1-6 colors

Totleben colors >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Marvel colors
>>
At least Alan Davis prefers the Marvel releases because Marvel compensated him while Eclipse used his and maybe others work without permission/didn't properly compensate him/or something else those lines. I wish I had listened to that portion of the Alan Davis panel that our comic festival had.
So if you want to support the creators, buy the Marvel editions that have been slightly censored and read the poop coloured Eclipse issues online.
>>
The best thing you could possibly do is download the fan made collection that's in circulation.
Some amazing individual created a gorgeous high resolution scan of the best print of the comic, I believe it was the Eclipse trades, collected into a volume with a beautiful cover, introductory page, all the covers with as little text over them as possible. Its really the best way.

Either that or spend hundreds on the Eclipse trades.
>>
>>88615834
Image example pls?
I usually don't see the big deal with recoloring but you make it sound pretty noticeable.
>>
>>88613404
>I feel like they take too much away from the story.
how so?
>>
>>88614057

That's the opposite of progressive of of that is true, assuming Marvel still wants to be the progressive one.
>>
>>88619120
This is accurate. The Eclipse recolors for the first 6 issues, other than the golden age flashback panels, are extremely incompetently done. I get the appreciation for the vibrant coloring that was big in the 80s but it was trash on a technical level. A lot of coloring mistakes and unintentional inconsistencies.
>>
>>88619630
Link it then.
>>
Literally all of them are on comixology if that's an option for you.
>>
I torrented the scans of the Eclipse issues and was blown away, stayed up all night reading them aloud to myself...
I wanted to own those versions physically because I'd heard how lacklustre the Marvel recolour was. I tracked down issues 1, 2, 5, 11, 12, 15, 17 (or something like that), but I wanted the whole story physically so I bought the bullet and got the new trades.
They honestly aren't bad at all. Although I preferred the original inks, the Marvel versions don't have many instances where the colours feel unsuitable. It's like the Higgins/Boland debate over The Killing Joke.
My real issue with the Marvel trades is the pacing. The issues are made up of like 3 chapters from Warrior magazine, and they need breathing space inbetween in order to flow properly. The new trades are sequenced together, so it feels a bit weird. Maybe I'm just being nitpicky.
It's the first major deconstruction of comic book superheroes, and it's read best as a serialized comic, I think.
>>
>>88623664
Those are the Marvel versions. Not Eclipse, which is what OP wants.
>>
I think the Marvel recolors are okay.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.