[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did cartoons based on comic strips become so unpopular

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

Why did cartoons based on comic strips become so unpopular in the West?
>>
>>88557581
Because no one reads comic trips anymore, so whats financial thinking for turning one into a cartoon, you aren't going to get a large install base from the start
>>
>>88557581
Personally I loved "Peanuts the Movie" but sadly I'm from the East. Europe. I guess it is so because there were no hot smoking female characters that penetrate hidden emotions and fetishes, which the West loves so much. Just a nice story with a great moral: be nice to others even if they not reward you for that.
>>
>>88557581
Comic strips were the biggest form of comics. People who made them were pioneers in animation. Neither of those things are true anymore.
>>
File: syndicate3.jpg (56KB, 760x466px) Image search: [Google]
syndicate3.jpg
56KB, 760x466px
Newspapers have ruined comic strips, by shoving 20 different strips, on to the same page.
back in the day a single comic would get a whole page.
>>
When the Boondocks became the new standard and became too expensive to produce.
>>
Also Newspapers just rerun the same 50 year old strips anyway. So what would the point be in making new cartoons based on the same tired crap?
>>
>>88559334

I've been wondering, are there any new newspaper comics out there that /co/ talks about, or do we just have all the same Garfield/Peanuts/Calvin/Heathcliff threads
>>
>>88557581
the newest Peanuts cartoon comes on boomerang every so often and i think it goes between passable and good
>>
Comics strips are targeted towards adults. But adult-oriented cartoons in the West are predominantly Simpsons clones. The "comfy slice of life" stuff doesn't really fly here because of the perception that it's unmarketable.
>>
newspapers are dead
>>
>>88559730
personally i think we should talk about luann more
>>
Things like Calvin and Hobbes and Cul-De-Sac wouldn't make good cartoons, because the art is so hard to replicate.
>>
>>88562941
i don't get it
>>
File: OuctEkS.gif (82KB, 450x519px) Image search: [Google]
OuctEkS.gif
82KB, 450x519px
>>88557581
Because the West isn't ready for a Heathcliff reboot yet. They just don't get it.
>>
>>88563012
Everyone out of the pool
>>
>>88557581
Because comic strips (at least in the newspaper fashion) have died out, much like newspapers themselves.

It was inevitable, so I see so reason to be upset about it.
>>
>>88557581
peanuts sucks anyway
sjw trash
>>
>>88562941
A Calvin and Hobbes cartoon would have been great if Watterson wasn't such a faggot about it

>>88568034
Stop saying that. It's not true
>>
>>88559334

makes me wonder, was there ever a foxtrot cartoon or special? Every other "staple" gag a day comic I remember from when I was a kid (besides calvin and hobbes obviously) had at least one but I don't think I've ever heard of anything for that.
>>
>>88569122
Which makes me wonder..why do anons get mad at Watterson for not licencing his characters, yet get mad at Jim Davis for doing the exactly that?

>>88560592
I think the comic about that busty single mom is pretty well-liked around here outside of anons getting pissed about drawfags refusing to do lewds of her
>>
>>88570530
because Garfield isn't funny
>>
>>88566333
I await our first professionally-adapted webcomic cartoon.

One Punch Man is Japanese, and doesn't count.
>>
>>88570530
Who got mad a Jim Davis for licensing his characters?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.