[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been working my way through DC recommendations. I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: mygarbagetaste.jpg (2MB, 859x2272px) Image search: [Google]
mygarbagetaste.jpg
2MB, 859x2272px
I've been working my way through DC recommendations. I've read a lot more than this, but here are my thoughts so far. Where do I go from here? How do I find more stuff that doesn't suck? Has Marvel published anything worth reading?
>>
>>88526231
>Has Marvel published anything worth reading?
Ha! No.
Just keep chugging along the plenty of great DC comics you have left.
>>
>>88526231
O'Neil's The Question should be next.
>>
>>88526231
Nice awful taste.

>>88526299
Nice shitpost.

>>88526340
Only worthwhile post so far.
>>
>Sinestro Corps War
>Awful
you need to leave my board
>>
You've read 52 and Seven Soldiers, have you read COIE, Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis yet?
>>
>>88526340
Downloading now.

>>88526415
Sinestro Corp War felt like it was focused on the wrong characters. I enjoyed the parts that were about Sinestro. The rest of it felt bloated and unfocused.

>>88526421
Not yet. I'm wary about big reboot-y universe-wide crossovers because some of the first comics I ever read were Marvel's big events and they felt a little sloppy and not super interesting as someone not already up-to-date on every character. Are DC's better in that regard?
>>
>>88526231
>Has Marvel published anything worth reading?

They bought the rights to Miracleman after driving the publisher out of business. That's the only good book they own the rights to.
>>
>>88526581
>Are DC's better in that regard?
I'd say they are.
COIE is a bit hard to say, since the style of it is rather different from the way things are now.
Infinite Crisis is pretty concise and is built as a sequel to COIE in some ways.
Final Crisis is a tough nut to crack because it's really dense for new readers, but the more DC you read and the more times you return to Final Crisis, the more you uncover.
>>
>>88526581
>Not yet. I'm wary about big reboot-y universe-wide crossovers because some of the first comics I ever read were Marvel's big events

Rule of thumb: nothing Marvel has ever done has been good. Don't use Marvel as a metric for anything, because they are the Ouya of comic book companies.
>>
>>88526870
>>88526884

Awesome. I'll have to check those out. Thanks!
>>
Is there a non-DC/Marvel recommended /co/ chart?

I really enjoyed The Boys and Irredeemable. Didn't like Saga or Locke and Key too much.

My list consists of finally getting to Fables, Judge Dredd and Invincible.
Any recommendations? Please give any suggestions you can.
>>
File: 9D0TR.jpg (653KB, 796x3879px) Image search: [Google]
9D0TR.jpg
653KB, 796x3879px
>>88526998
This includes some Marvel and DC but seems to have a lot of other good suggestions. Irredeemable blew me away. Wish there was more like it out there.
>>
>>88526931
Spider-man 2099, Moench Moon Knight PAD Hulk, Punisher, Miller Daredevil, Fear Agent, The Maxx, Grendel, Ostrander Spectre, all the martian manhunter minis and series and Marshal Law
>>
File: 1446407365373.jpg (781KB, 1946x1660px) Image search: [Google]
1446407365373.jpg
781KB, 1946x1660px
>>88526231
>barely any old comics at all
This image hurts my soul.

Read Justice League [International] (1987). Since you liked Formerly Known as the Justice League, you should read the classic comics about how they all became one big unhappy family.

Read Suicide Squad (1987). It has everything you hated about Checkmate and Villains United, except actually done well. Also, it's the sister comic to Justice League International. You shouldn't read one without reading the other.

Read L.E.G.I.O.N. (1989). It's a spinoff of the Legion of Super-Heroes, and it eventually leads into R.E.B.E.L.S. (which is on your list).

>>88526998
Here are some basics.
>>
>>88527117
Awesome, I'll check those out. Thanks so much!

>>88527058

Awesome, thanks!

2099 seems like a cool concept. Are any besides Spiderman worth reading? One of few Marvel things I've really enjoyed way Mark Waid's run on FF, so I wondered if they were any good elsewhere. I read some recent Moon Knight and enjoyed it, so I'll definitely check out some of the older stuff. Thanks again!
>>
Day of Vengeance, and if you liked it, follow it up with Shadowpact. It's a continuation of the team.

Why didn't you like Villains United?
>>
>>88527259
The main cast felt kind of undeveloped. I liked the concept but felt like it never really accelerated past that, and I never really got into the team dynamic. I was (mostly) a fan of Formerly Known as the Justice League, which I felt like did a similar thing with a sort of second string team in over their heads, but it gave me a lot more to care about from a character perspective.

Villains United reminded me a lot of Superior Foes of Spider-man, but without the heart that really made that tick.

I was also just bummed because Fiddler was a really fun and interesting character that I was enjoying reading but he only appears in one issue.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.