[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does everyone insist on calling Morty a retard? He's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

File: Vlcsnap-2015-01-31-04h27m25s140.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Vlcsnap-2015-01-31-04h27m25s140.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Why does everyone insist on calling Morty a retard? He's clearly not. I mean he's not smart either but he's pretty much average and surprisingly responsible

Making him being dumb an informed trait that doesn't affect his behavior or personality is just bad writing
>>
>>88522324
He literally has a brainwave pattern that hides the brainwave pattern of smart people. That's some Forrest Gump tier shit.
>>
>>88522324
Because he constantly fucks things up in the name of good intentions. AKA something a retard does.
>>
>>88522343
But it doesn't show up in his actual actions. This is just an even worse informed trait.
>>88522359
He can't keep up with the smartest guy in the universe so instead of being a typical naive/idealistic teen he's retarded? Get outta here, Roiland, you projecting, self-loathing hack.
>>
The dude was failing high school math
>>
>>88522411
Didn't his parents said in the first episode that Morty is slow and then Rick call him dumb as bag of rocks, let's face it anon Morty has some degree of retardation
>>
>>88522411
>He can't keep up with the smartest guy in the universe so instead of being a typical naive/idealistic teen he's retarded?

Looks like I hit a nerve because that has nothing to do with what I said. He's an idealist in the face of destruction and as such he brings more harm than good to just about everyone around him, especially in the many dangerous scenarios he finds himself in, regardless of whether or not Rick is also present.
>>
>>88522603
I never said he wasn't retarded. I just said it's bad writing they've never actually shown us something specific.
>>88522675
It has everything to do with what you said and I have no feeling in my body. The reason he fucks shit up out of his morality is because he's in situations most teens could never dream of and doesn't realize the full extent of them. This is literally the stereotypical teenager. Doesn't know what the fuck he's doing and messing everything up despite their efforts.
Sorry I offended your sense of over-the-top cynicism and/or moral nihlism, Justin.
>>
>>88522771
>All teenagers ever are idealists in over their heads
>None of them ever learn during their teenage years and apply that knowledge to similar situations in the near future, cementing their future as functioning adults

Sounds like we wrong OP. The retard everyone should be focusing on is you.
>>
I'd imagine it's probably more his "kind of intelligence" just doesn't really matter in school and compared to Rick he's an idiot but so is everyone else. He's just really shit at the standardized barely even trying method of schooling.
That or he's never been trapped in a situation where his intelligence is truly called into question. So what we know is he's bad at math and isn't a blithering retard in certain situations.
>>
Rick keeps him from going to school. Of course he's going to be a bit dumb. Dude only had class time of like four hours
>>
>>88523013
Sorry about your adolescence, bud.
>>
>>88523311
School isn't a place for smart people Jerry
>>
>>88523357
Its fine friendo, and I'm sorry that you find yourself relating to a character like Morty pal.
>>
>>88522324
isn't it p-past your bedtime, M-Moooooooooooorty?
>>
>>88522324
The first episode felt a bit off. Everything after that, Morty switches between the voice of reason and naive kid.
>>
>>88522324
its a show liked by autismos of course someone who isn't constantly spouting sci-fi bullshit is going to be seen as a retard to those people
>>
>>88523388
not that anon but you are so retarded you read somethigyou want where there is none.
>>
I'm pretty sure they abandoned the retard thing since the pilot.

80% of the time he usually mans up or does some clever shit. He only ever fucks up when his dick gets in the way or tries to do what any normal person would see as the right thing just for knew information to appear that the situation is more complex then he initially thought, and that's not so much his fault as just pure hindsight.

So at worst he's just a hormonal kid who wants some poon.
>>
>>88522324
He tried t fuck a catgirl.
>>
>>88522343
>He literally has a brainwave pattern that hides the brainwave pattern of smart people
That doesn't mean he's retarded, it's just destructive interference
Look up the double slit experiment, it's not magic anti-light that is causing the gaps

He constantly rags on Jerry for being the dumbest and most pathetic person he knows, but Jerry can't hide Rick
>>
File: where do you think we are.jpg (70KB, 600x889px) Image search: [Google]
where do you think we are.jpg
70KB, 600x889px
>>88525255
And?
>>
>>88522324
If hes average, then that shows everyone is retarded, hes just the retard among retards..
>>
>>88523091
I really feel like Roiland would write in some shit where he ends up being smarter than Rick in the long run, and Rick's endgame has actually been to bring out his potential.
>>
>>88525320
No, he would write it so Rick takes credit for it despite not really caring about whether or not it would happen

It's like people don't even watch the show
Rick has literally already done that
>>
>>88525186
Thanks, anon. Was starting to believe I may be projecting something that genuinely doesn't describe me. Somehow. I dunno I'm kind of drunk. I had no idea what he was even talking about but it was obviously more personal and not about the quality of writing in a fucking sci-fi cartoon. Maybe he broke up with some flowerchild or had a bitter childhood. I dunno. I'm still drunk. Off like 1/2 a lite beer. I don't drink often. Why am I talking about this?
Anyways, I would a Morty.
>>88525284
He's also somewhat smarter than most of the people we've seen. But again, that's probably just bad unvierse building or characterization.
>let's call this character dumb because he doesn't know the square root of Pi
>then let's place him in a Simpsons esque world were everyone else is even fucking dumber/genuinely retarded
>>
>>88525347
>someone hasn't watched the last episode
He defiantly cares for his family, even if he generally doesn't give a fuck.
> Rick takes credit for it despite not really caring about whether or not it would happen
he would prolly do this and lead into a scene where he's peeking through a door in the garage, looking at Morty and says,"Good job Morty *buuuuurp* Good job", then have him teleport or kill himself or some shit
>>
>>88525468
No Roiland would have him say "Good job" and Harmon would write in his suicide. Harmon is a chronic depressive with intense feelings of regret judging by his life/choice of wives/writing and Roiland is just a fucking California kid who's parents paid for CalArts but acts depressed and nihlistic because it's cool right now.
>>
>>88525468
>He defiantly cares for his family
I know he definitely cares for his family, but that doesn't mean he's going to care about whether or not morty turns into a rocket scientist or a lawyer or literally whatever

>he would prolly do this and lead into a scene where he's peeking through a door in the garage
Remember the psychic parasite episode where morty realizes how to tell the difference between real people and the parasites?
Rick just took credit for Morty's accomplishment
>>
>>88525533
yeah, actually...didn't think about that
>>88525540
>but that doesn't mean he's going to care about whether or not morty turns into a rocket scientist or a lawyer or literally whatever
he literally sacrificed himself to save Morty...but whatever
>Rick just took credit for Morty's accomplishment
duh, it's what he does, in public. He gets either really proud of Morty, or really fucking depressed when he's alone
>>
>>88525638
>he literally sacrificed himself to save Morty...but whatever
okay that's fine, but he obviously doesn't care about his education if he's constantly pulling him out of school to go on adventures
He cares about his safety, but that isn't the same thing as caring about his future career

>duh, it's what he does, in public
a conversation between two people doesn't count as public
>>
>>88525678
>He cares about his safety, but that isn't the same thing as caring about his future career
who's to say that Morty won't actually learn like Rick did, though he takes advantage of him, he may, and at this point it can only be speculation, he may teach him in a different way. School might actually not be necessary, you see all the fucking idiots in the school.
>a conversation between two people doesn't count as public
for a person like Rick it might be
>>
>>88525347
>>88525540
>>88525678
He literally says "Be better then me" right after he sacrificed himself for me. If that doesn't give off some alarms I don't know what does.
>>88525533
Roiland was the one that wrote the Unity episode so I think they're both depressed alcoholics.
>>
>>88522450
if you actually listen in the episode, his school is teaching elementary math
>>
>>88525812
>sacrificed himself for me
m-morty? oh jeez, that explains a lot of this thread
>>
>>88525812
>"Be better then me"
That doesn't mean better scientist any more than it means better father, grandfather, husband, family member, contributor to society, etc etc
Rick isn't really concerned with with Morty being smart because he doesn't have to be smart

>who's to say that Morty won't actually learn like Rick did
Literally nobody because that's just your headcanon

>for a person like Rick it might be
honestly, I'm really just getting upset because your argument for your claim is just "yeah but it might be this, you don't know"
>>
>>88522411
>Get outta here, Roiland, you projecting, self-loathing hack.
Is Rick and Morty the Gravity Falls replacement?
>>
>>88522324
I don't get it either. In the episode they say he is dumb as Rick is smart, and that obviously wrong. We SEEN characters less intelligent than Mortey, like his dad. I don't know why they keep pushing for this idea that he is as dumb as Rick is smart, because didn't they say Rick is the smartest or one of the smartest people in the universe? He would need someone more retarded to balance it out, or Rick is lying.
>>
>>88526466
Kind of? There's actual discussion sometimes though. Makes sense since Roiland and Hirsch are so linked and they feel like sister shows to a lot of people. At least Roiland actually did post in these threads claiming to hate the show though so there's an actual origin to my memery.
>tfw you started the Hirsch is a pedo meme
>>
>>88522324
Morty is basically the opposite of Rick. He's not dumb, but he struggles academically, whereas Rick excels at anything academic. However Morty is pretty brave and selfless, whereas Rick (for the most part) only looks out for himself. Obviously one of the big points of the show is Morty teaching Rick empathy and respect, whereas Rick has taught Morty not to get hung up on petty bullshit. Morty is teaching Rick to appreciate what he has, whereas Rick is teaching Morty that sometimes it's okay to embrace chaos and the unexpected.
>>
>>88526929
And so the student becomes the bastard eh? I've never been one for philosiphy but this reminds me of an old biblical analogue:
>If just one person believes in you,
>Deep enough, and strong enough, believes in you...
>Hard enough, and long enough,
>It stands to reason, that someone else will think
>"If he can do it, I can do it."

>Making it: two whole people, who believe in you
>Deep enough, and strong enough,
>Believe in you.
>Hard enough and long enough
>There's bound to be some other person who
>Believes in making it a threesome,
>Making it three.....
>People you can say: believe in me.....

>And if three whole people,
>Why not -- four?

>And if four whole people,
>Why not--more, and
>more, and
>more....

>And when all those people,
>Believe in you,
>Deep enough, and strong enough,
>Believe in you...
>Hard enough, and long enough

>It stands to reason that you yourself will
>Start to see what everybody sees in
>You...

>And maybe even you,
>Can believe in you... too!
Is any of this getting through to you? And for that matter: the unjust and cowardly liar loves deflection while the honest and virtuous have nothing to hide. The weak cannot stop committing misdeeds while the brave can correct the mistake of their pasts.
>>
>>88525320
Yeah, that's what the whole Evil Morty thing is.
>>
>>88527142
I'm pretty sure that's Dr. Seuss, not the Bible.
>>
>>88527142
tl;dr
>>
>>88527321
Nah, it's The Muppets.
But it does sound like something from "Oh The Places You'll Go!".
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.