[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reminder that there's a christmas special based on a kid's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 10

File: ac7.jpg (196KB, 650x407px) Image search: [Google]
ac7.jpg
196KB, 650x407px
Reminder that there's a christmas special based on a kid's show about reuniting two vietnam war refugees.
>>
Reminder that Grandpa was based as hell
>>
Reminder that Grandpa's chin looks like a penis.
>>
File: 1444708759458.jpg (44KB, 282x341px) Image search: [Google]
1444708759458.jpg
44KB, 282x341px
>>88498634

Hey Arnold is one of those nicktoons from the 90s that I think could have worked just as well if it focused on the adults of the show instead of the kids.
>>
>Rugrats having a Hanukkah special
>Arnold's Vietnam refugee special
>As Told By Ginger dealing with actual peer pressure that girls experience from shaving their legs to being urged to being made fun of for being too flat for a bra
>A fucking original black superhero (Static Shock) who was just as cool as the rest of the DC gang
>The entire feminism episode of PPG where the girls tell off the villainess for playing the victim card constantly
>The entirety of Proud Family not shying away from issues that are in black communities
>Pelswick dealing with being bullied because he's in a fucking wheelchair

90's and early 2000's was a lot more obsessed with diversity and inclusiveness than now, yet people harp on today for it's SJW-ness despite being vastly homogenized and corporate compared to like, ten years ago. Now we're so afraid to have episodes about a Christian family, we've just banned it altogether. Like, we've somehow moved backwards in the name of moving forward. As if kids in school don't have friends who have religious families? Is that taboo in their eyes or something?

But I guess we have more faux lesbians and background gay characters, so yaaayy. Progression.
>>
>>88498896

It's because the diversity back then felt genuine.

I know it's a bit of a cop-out answer but I mean, when I see something like the rugrats hanukkah episode it feels less like "we gotta meet quotas and make sure everyone knows how diverse we are" and more like just the world those characters live in normally.
>>
File: 1480916537472.jpg (49KB, 580x786px) Image search: [Google]
1480916537472.jpg
49KB, 580x786px
Post yfw

>Merry Christmas Arnold
>>
>>88499000
Ironic considering Rugrats added a black girl specifically to showoff how diverse they were.
>>
Reminder Grandpa died at 91
>>
>>88499184
So did his daughter have a name? Were there any artists degenerate enough to give her a little love?
>>
>>88498896
>The entirety of Proud Family not shying away from issues that are in black communities
Examples?
>>
>>88499918

trying to evade the cops when you get addicted to matrix-napster
>>
>>88498896
The Proud Family was rather unique. It was the first time I ever saw a "boys vs girls" episode where the girl lost. That dumbfounded me as a kid, cause I never realized it was possible until that point. Cause no show had ever done it.

Kudos, Proud Family.
>>
>>88499000
>>88499147
That's why the Kwanzaa episode was shit.
But in seriousness the whole diversity bit is in the eye of the beholder. It helps that most people grew up with the show and have an attachment to it before they read politics into. A lot of good quality but heavily political shit from yesteryear gets that pass.
>>
>>88500093
I wish that was a better show, they usually subverted the cliche Moral of the Day bullshit. They'd get along the same message still but they'd do it a totally different way.
>How do we show that Crippled kids are kids like anyone else? By having the cripple kid be such an intolerable little shit that Penny tells him to fuck off rather than pitying him just because he's in a wheelchair.
>>
>>88500093
I still don't like how the show constantly shitted on the dad.
>>
>>88498896
The Proud Family actually did shy away from a lot of those issues (because, let's be honest, they're often pretty heavy and very complex and the answers that black people would approve of would offend white people). Hence the plots getting zanier and zanier as the show went on. TPF (along with a lot of other post-Cosby series) did do a good job of showing successful middle class blackness.

Something that was pointed out in a Proud Family thread a while back: notice how people of color in that show are actually all different shades. Compare to a lot of other shows, where black people are all basically the same shade, Latinos are all the same shade, etc.
>>
>>88500312
Doctor Facilier must be eternally punished for his sins.
>>
>>88498283
I just wish Mr. Nguyen's daughter showed up more after that.
>>88498634
I think you mean Steely Phil. Remember when he poisoned and entire Nazi regiment?
>>88498896
See >>88499000
Back then, it wasn't so hokey.
>>
>>88498283
Think we'll get another season after the Jungle Movie?
>>
File: Burger_King_Kids_Club_group.jpg (31KB, 300x262px) Image search: [Google]
Burger_King_Kids_Club_group.jpg
31KB, 300x262px
>>88498896
That same kinda "diversity for the sake of diversity and brownie points" kinda thing existed then too.

Hell, just look at the Burger King Kids Club. They could've saved time and called every character "token black", "token vaguely Latino or Indian brown kid", "token redhead girl", "token cripple" and so on.
>>
>>88499918
One that comes to mind, Penny Proud having to do a Black History Month report and knowing absolute dick about most of black history because she's just a kid and most kids really don't give a shit about their heritage in modern times. So she trips and hits her head and in her dream, she is Angela Davis (The person she was doing a report on) and is teleported to 1955 where blacks aren't allowed to be teachers and she has to drink from a separate water fountain and etc.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwxh27_the-proud-family-i-had-a-dream_shortfilms

>>88500313
Live-action tackled those topics way better, of course. I remember even Sister, Sister getting pretty heavy in a couple of episodes when the girls got older. But I think for a cartoon, it's pretty surprising. I can't think of many cartoons that would even say the word "black" because even acknowledging skin tone in a kids show is sacrilege.
>>
>>88500512
I remember the one where Penny was basically guilt tripped into dating a handicapped kid.
He turned out to be a fucking cunt and Penny finally stood up to him.
Basically being disabled isnt an excuse to be a cunt.
>>
>>88500478
Oh yeah, the quota fill has always been around from Captain Planet, to Recess to Magic School Bus, to even those fucking Backyard Sports games where a kid in a damn wheelchair was apparently competent enough to be on a team with people who had working legs. But I think the problem is now-a-days they play it so safe and they've limited themselves to what can even be done. Now it just feels like every cartoon has a token girl or a token brown kid and that's about it.

We're not allowed to have a character like Harold who has a whole episode about him being Jewish and becoming a man. No episodes about a kid being bullied so hard in Static Shock he brings a fucking gun to school. Not even things like Rocket Power where Reggie feels pressured because people make fun of her for constantly doing guy sports and having only guy friends, and constantly being called "a guy" does hurt a girl's ego after awhile.

Some of them did come off as soapbox-y, but at least they were able to approach those issues if they WANTED to. Now they just sweep that shit under the rug and have token ____ character, throw in a background gay character somewhere, and pat themselves on the back for being progressive.

Even Steven Universe wants to have morals about relationships but they're so limited to what they can actually do, they're forced to dance around the idea by calling it "fusion". Then they lose their own sense of moral by praising some of the most unhealthy relationships in the series, like Ruby and Sapphire who are basically co-dependent. I can't even really tell what message that show wants to send other than just being fuel for people who love gay characters and melodrama.
>>
>>88500512
kids don't know about black history because the US education system only talks about MLK and Rosa, and Malcolm if you're lucky.
>>
>>88501159
They only know about black history because they only talk about MLK, Rosa, and Malcolm during the shortest month exclusively of the year.
>>
>>88501159
What else is there to talk?
>>
>>88501214
How about Frederick Douglass for an obvious answer.
>>
>>88501214
-An accurate portrayal of chattel slavery and the antebellum south
-The various slavery revolts that occurred in the colonial americas
-Blacks in the Reconstruction era
-Black migration to the north post reconstruction
-Harlem Renaissance
-Tuskegee syphilis experiment
-Blacks in WW2
-An indepth look at the Civil Rights era past MLK, Rosa, and Malcolm
-The Black Panthers

And that's just basic history. Lets not talk about our role and influence in entertainment media, academia, sports, etc.
>>
>>88501349
Rap and being shot by other rappers/ the police?
>>
>>88501493
Better than strumming on your banjo while having sex with your sister.
>>
>>88501493
only if we get to reframe the founding fathers as genocidal assholes, newfriend.
>>
>>88500512
No, you're not wrong. The production company that made it was black-owned, so you FINALLY got to see things that other people were afraid to do or didn't know to do with black characters. The Gross sisters being ashy is the first thing that comes to mind. Also the idea that you can speak in AAVE and still come from a middle class household. The idea that you can wear a skull cap and still be a geek... shit goes on and on.
>>
>>88501349
I honestly learned that stuff in school but then again i went to black schools and stay in the south. Hell my family is from Montgomery AL. Tons of black history in that area.
But yeah black history hell any history thats not European is missing in a large part of US schools. Not to mention the isolation of alot of areas so some folks might only be exposed to others through tv.
>>
>>88500477
Do you really want a NuArnold?
>>
>>88498283
And it's the best Christmas episode ever.

>>88499000
this
>>
>>88498896
But anon, the Proud Family and Pelswik were fucking shit.

I didn't particularly like as told by ginger, but I imagine because the show was marketed towards pre-teen girls.
>>
>>88498283

Im disappointed we never saw more of her. I get mr Nguyen was a minor character but it would have been nice to see more signs they where in touch
>>
File: Patakis.png (86KB, 500x269px) Image search: [Google]
Patakis.png
86KB, 500x269px
>>88502280
I don't know, there were story developments with Helga and her family that I always wanted to see more of back in the day.

But I don't know if it'd retain the charm.
>>
>>88505442

Not these days. No. These days you'd get a forced coming out story sloppily handled where Bob decides to disown her for wanting to be a gay man who loves arnold
>>
File: miriam's smoothies.jpg (75KB, 270x224px) Image search: [Google]
miriam's smoothies.jpg
75KB, 270x224px
>>88505510
You're reaching, but it is kind of funny thinking how some things today could never had made it into the show back then.

Meanwhile some things back then would have trouble making it into the show today.
>>
>>88505966
It was super obvious she was on the sauce
>>
>>88505966

With how obsessed 'deepest lore' shit is today, I bet Stinky being a vampire would have been unironically legitimized instead of being a wink to the audience gag at the end of his episode.
>>
>>88501349
>>88501758

The problem is, in the nicest way possible, black history as a specific subset of history isn't as important as the rest. Whites being dominant means that white history is just history. When you have a single chapter for each huge historical event you're gonna focus on the big picture rather than devoting time to the specifically black point of view. That's why Asian, Latino and Black studies classes exist.
>>
>>88501593
Mad goat fucker?
>>
>>88501735
I saw AAVE and immediately thought of Ave Maria, and imagined the Proud family and supporting cast communicating solely through operatic latin song. Just wanted to share.
>>
File: tumblr_mhmm7xli0c1rxbbwjo1_400.gif (1MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mhmm7xli0c1rxbbwjo1_400.gif
1MB, 400x225px
>>88499126
>>
>>88500512
Why does no one remember the episode of the Proud Family where the black teacher is talking about how NEGROES starting protesting for Civil Rights, and Penny said, "Uh, don't you mean 'African-Americans?' and her teacher replied, 'They aren't from Africa. They're Negroes,'?
>>
>>88498896
>A fucking original black superhero (Static Shock) who was just as cool as the rest of the DC gang
Haha, no. Not even close.
>>
>>88507430

Because no one fucking watched that show.
>>
>>88507715
WHOOP WHOOP
>>
>>88507791
>>88507430
my mom wouldn't let me watch that show because it was about black people
>>
>>88507715
t. John Stewart fan
>>
>>88507954
John was inoffensive, if not particularly interesting. Static Shock was outright bad at times, with it's Very Special Episodes.
>>
>>88507954
>>88507715

to be fair static is basically just teenage black lighting
>>
>>88500846
>No episodes about a kid being bullied so hard in Static Shock he brings a fucking gun to school.
The fact that somebody actually got shot at the end of that still astounds me, even if someone had the balls to make that episode today it would just end with the kid being talked down before shit got real
>>
>>88498283
All I can think about is that her estrangement could mean her own children would likely be unacquainted with their biological grandfather in favor of her adoptive parents
>>
>>88498283

Y'all are racist as fuck. I hope you all burn in hell.
>>
>>88508287
wow rude
>>
>>88505966
>>88506090
I loved how the smoothies weren't code for anything; she was gulping down vodka mixed with sweet fruit juice to make it easy to swallow so she could get drunk faster.
>>
File: 1476340705039.jpg (112KB, 459x700px) Image search: [Google]
1476340705039.jpg
112KB, 459x700px
>>88508287
goodness gracious
>>
File: Teers in the 'Hood.jpg (31KB, 735x390px) Image search: [Google]
Teers in the 'Hood.jpg
31KB, 735x390px
>>88508143
They had a guy shot and killed in captain planet.
Teers in the 'Hood (Season 4, Episode 87)
https://youtu.be/qeKtUHWi7WQ?t=201

I think BraveStarr had some kid die of a drug overdose too.
It seems that if you have some sort of after school special with a heavy handed message the censors are okay with things like this.
>>
File: 1459076336185.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
1459076336185.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>88508287
Anon, this is one of the more civil threads involving race. There have been much worse in the past, /pol/ must be sleeping.
>>
>>88498283
just to please the SJW's probably

MUH DIVERSITY
>>
>>88509408
Nah, it's either praising Trump or Plebbit's Communist subreddit invading Left Pol.
>>
>>88511568
lol all five of them?
>>
>>88509338
>"We better find Ma-Ti and fast"
>"His special ed class is in the next building"
kek
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.