[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Currently Comic artist Joseph Linsner is being harassed on Wikipedia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

Currently Comic artist Joseph Linsner is being harassed on Wikipedia by admin Beetstra.
The admin is hell bent on deleting his page because of some sort of personal butthurt.
The admin is now deleting improvements on the page and generally being a cunt

Linsner has been drawing and publishing comics in 1989, he's contributed a lot to the culture/community, & he's actually a nice guy.

If anyone on here has any advice as to how to deal with this or knows how to Wikipedia - your input would be appreciated in fixing this.

I've been a fan since Lucifer's Halo & i think his work should be properly listed/referenced
>>
Sounds like a nobody.
>>
>>88472293
Fuck off, Joseph.
>>
>>88472293
had fun coloring Little Black Book Joe
>>
I literally never heard of him.
>>
File: f6055fbb11fca36450140172592c31be.jpg (481KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
f6055fbb11fca36450140172592c31be.jpg
481KB, 1280x1024px
He's the artist who created Dawn aka the most popular online avatar from around 1996-2006
>>
>>88472293
When will Wikipedia just fucking die? It's nothing but self-righteous autistmos thinking they're arbiters of knowledge.

They gutted all the articles on media ages ago because some news site made an article about how the Sonic page was too long, and the GamerGate page had 24/7 guards posted to prevent any wrongthink articles.

Just leave Wikipedia to crawl up it's own ass and die.
>>
>>88473571
Hi Chris chan
>>
>>88472293
try contacting a different admin?
>>
>>88475770
It's safe to assume I'm old enough that my ability to use the internet is impressive.
But fuck wiki, their setup is annoying.
>>
>>88472293
Wikipedia is shit
>>
>>88472293
>Wikipedia drama
Never thought I'll see the day.
>>
>>88472293
I stopped editing Wikipedia ages ago because of this sort of petty fuckery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Joseph_Michael_Linsner

I can't make heads or tails of this, it's just dickwaving.
>>
>>88473571
The bias against "excessive" and in-universe detail in fiction articles does seem entirely arbitrary.

And don't wanna sound like /pol/, but Gamergate reporting was dominated by the mainstream media's narrative so basically no chance for favorable or even neutral views.
>>
>>88472293
>>88476061
>>88475953
Wikipedia was probably designed to prevent people from going into behind the scene discussion and showing that just like any website, they have scandals and drama.
>>
>>88476298

I remember the rationale from Wikipedia lifers that Wikipedia is not supposed to give the "correct" point of view, but just what the media reports. If the media they choose all seem to agree with each other, then that's just a dandy coincidence.
>>
>>88476208
My understanding is that they don't like that there aren't enough articles saying the guy is "important," even though it's completely arbitrary.
>>
>>88476208
>I can't make heads or tails of this, it's just dickwaving.

I think the problem they have is that Linsner keeps adding his own website as citations, which comes off as self advertising.

But they are too fucking stupid to do a google search on his name to add real citations? Something like that.
>>
>>88472293
Flag the page for vandalism.
>>
>>88472293
why does this guy even need a Wikipedia page
>>
>>88476618
This is 100% true though, considering Wikipedia requires sources not opinions
>>
>>88472293
lol that article was clearly written by linsner himself and OP is probably also linsner himself lmao
>>
>>88472293
>& he's actually a nice guy
Nah, he seems like a dumb cunt who edits his own Wikipedia page and makes autistic threads on /co/ about himself and said Wikipedia page.
>>
>>88477150
>This is 100% true though, considering Wikipedia requires sources not opinions

But all that means is that one can just push an article on some other unrelated website, and then Wikipedia can cite that as a source. It doesn't matter if said article is true or not, since there is little source checking.

After that, the entire damn internet will just copy the facts from Wikipedia, and you'll never find anything to the contrary. It's a recursive, self feeding cycle.
>>
>>88477305
>But all that means is that one can just push an article on some other unrelated website, and then Wikipedia can cite that as a source
well yeah thats still the point
>>
>>88477305
wasn't there that time Brianna Wu was citing some article she wrote herself about Gamergate on the Gamergate page
>she
>>
>>88477387
She's a woman, so it's okay.
>>
>>88477305
>>88477373
Wikipedia is simply an effort filter. Did you put enough effort to make a website and write something on it? Then you get the ability to put your information on it unless someone else with something more factually correct overrides you.
>>
>>88477492
there was a bit of a hubbub about it and I think it got shut down
>>
>>88477511
>Then you get the ability to put your information on it unless someone else with something more factually correct overrides you.

No, then they'll just mark your source as self-advertising, and start moderating you until some "reliable news site" like Kotaku publishes the article.
>>
>>88477387

And that time Wu tried to edit Samus Aran's page to make her a transexual.
>>
>>88477720
ah that's what I was thinking about, misremembered
>>
>>88477592
>putting reliable news site in quotes
as opposed to a random blog?
>>
>>88477908
did you just not read the rest of the sentence? Are you claiming Kotaku is a reliable news site without sarcasm quotes?
>>
>>88476208

Most of that discussion seems to boil down to this:

>We need references about the artist himself.
>An artist's professional output is not important.

This is a headscratcher indeed.

>His depictions of anatomically improbable female pulchritude seem popular with fanbois

Now we see the real motivation behind the deletion.
>>
>>88477908
>as opposed to a random blog?

as opposed to a news site where you can get the editors to report anything by flashing your vagina card?
>>
>>88476208
there was a series about a Wolverine/Black Cat team-up?
>>
File: Claws (2006) 03 page 03.jpg (776KB, 1280x1974px) Image search: [Google]
Claws (2006) 03 page 03.jpg
776KB, 1280x1974px
>>88478120
Yes, there were TWO. They are both hilarious. They get abducted by Arcade who teams up with White Rabbit.
>>
>>88476208
No one can figure out what the admin want exactly and it's stupid..

>>88476618
Which is utterly fucked

>>88476986
Everytime real citations are added they delete them. The Facebook was added for a gallery link or something and that's what got everyone on a tizzy because it was directing traffic from wiki.
So then they had a fit about every link of wiki... Or something

No one really understands this.

>>88476681
Which is ridiculous. Any artist getting regular work from major publishers for over 2 decades is relevant culturally. Especially given the effect his first release has. Check out Cry for Dawn 1 someone y, it caused quite a stir.

>>88477118
No clue, he's considering saying fuck it at this point because the original page was shit and they keep deleting information and edits.

>>88477191
>>88477216
The original page wasn'tnt created by him. The content was not accurate, he tried to edit, etc...

>>88478031
Despite a large fan base of women. Dawn was the Harley of the 90s. But in today's society it's considered offensive.
The difference in time is that "back in the day" he was paused for his character being more realistic than the idealized mainstream. If i remember correctly she's a size 6 or 8, has his & a little pudge around the sides/belly button. But this is in a time where unhealthy thin was fashionable.

In closing a lot of the content of his main story line is very different from hour or society views things. Dawn was released around the same time frame as Transmetropolitian and other works that would probably be considered more controversial today
>>
File: j_m_linsner_lucifers_halo_6.jpg (283KB, 879x1220px) Image search: [Google]
j_m_linsner_lucifers_halo_6.jpg
283KB, 879x1220px
>>88472293
>>88472895
>>88473034
He's one of the best comics artists that ever lived. He was EXTREMELY popular in the 90s.
>>
File: IMG_5515.jpg (381KB, 1540x911px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5515.jpg
381KB, 1540x911px
>>88477720
>Samus is a newhalf, or as we call it in America transgendered.
Bitch that's a FUTANARI
>>
That Beetstra guy sounds like a right prick that uses Wikipedia to feel important in life.

Why do I have a feeling that, that's how most Wiki admins are?
>>
>>88480687
But what has he done for us lately?
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.