[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just finished reading this, what do you guys think of it? I thought

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

Just finished reading this, what do you guys think of it? I thought it was bittersweet, since Phil never got to make his book. He just kinda said "screw it."
>>
Been a while, but I remember liking it. The art was pretty rad.
>"They're not worth it."
>>
>>88449623
I honestly thought it was really heavy-handed, and the whole "I was best buds with Gwen Stacy and had a front-row seat to her death" thing was just weird.
Alex Ross remains Elder-God tier, though.
>>
I always love stories of civilians POV's in a greater story. It makes everything feel so much bigger. But yeah, I really enjoyed this book. Everything felt so important even though it was happening to unimportant people. I kind of wish the MCU did a film like this, of civilians trying to live among the chaos of the MCU.
>>
Fun fact, my art teacher let me borrow this to get me into comics.
>>
what is with that shameful pose?

jesus they need to ban that cover
>>
>>88449623
Marvels actually got a sequel, you should check it out even though Ross isn't on art.
>>
>>88450227
I didn't know this. Thanks, I will!
>>
>>88450227
Good. Never liked his art.
>>
File: pugsPAm.jpg.png (16KB, 691x597px) Image search: [Google]
pugsPAm.jpg.png
16KB, 691x597px
>that scene with Phil on a roof top trying to snap a pic of Torch fighting Namor

Great book though, really got me interested in Marvel's "Golden Era' (60's through late 80's). Kind of funny how it came out during the company's downward slope of both quality and sales
>>
File: 1474504674054.jpg (112KB, 572x303px) Image search: [Google]
1474504674054.jpg
112KB, 572x303px
>>88449623
Yeah... Ending kinda bugs me too.
Felt too rushed.
It's like Busiek had done all the work up to an amazing deep final deconstructive thought about superheroing and humanity itself...

...and then didn't really know what to do or say.
It's like he lost his train of thought.

>Toddler Ghost Rider cameo!
>roll credits!
>cue in smooth jazz!
>>
>>88449623
it's the only comic where Ross's art truly works
>>
>>88452137
>I haven't read Peace on Earth or Power of Hope
>>
>>88452166
I have read both and I stand by statement
>>
>>88452178
Well then you're just flat out wrong.
>>
>>88451417
the dark age was mostly overall shit with some good comics still in there but their most notable contribution IMO was Marvels and Earth X which form a really nice retrospective on the birth and death of the marvel universe

it's a shame the sequel was delayed for fifteen years, it and Brubaker's Book of Marvels are also really good companion pieces
>>
>>88452099
He planned on doing a sequel but Ross didn't want to do it. Of course eventually that sequel came out as Eye of the Camera like a decade and a half later.
>>
>>88454832
>the dark age was mostly overall shit
how to spot a casual
>>
>>88454911
>>88450227

I hadn't heard of this.
Is it worth it? Does it give closure?
>I'm a sucker for closure
>>
>>88454935
all the good stuff also spawned a host of uninspired ripoffs

and while I'm not a casual (just an oldfag) there are a lot of critical darlings that in retrospect I don't personally care for

>>88454978
yeah it does, it's not as good as Marvels but it's a suitable ending
>>
>>88454978
it's decent, but hampered by no Ross art

and there is closure
>>
>>88454978
>Does it give closure?
Yes, but I'm not sure it's the closure you want. It absolutely gives definitive closure though.
>>
>>88454978
It's all right. It's not the best Busiek comic of the 00's (that would be Secret Identity and some Astro City) and it doesn't match Marvels, but it's decent. If you liked Jay Anacleto's art back when he did Aria in the late 90's I guess it's worth looking at.
>>
File: 1470159760974.png (106KB, 278x467px) Image search: [Google]
1470159760974.png
106KB, 278x467px
>>88455006
>>88455017
>>88455052
thank you all.
I'll definitely check it out.
>>
>>88455116

>>88455115
and thank you too for further details
>>
>>88455116
also check out Bru's Marvels Project for a nice companion piece from the pov of the heroes and Earth X for a drastically different, top-down approach to Marvel's history that basically ties everything back to Jack Kirby
>>
Would you guys recommend The Gauntlet? I like the Rhino storytime that was on here recently but I saw Slott was the writer for this series so I was wondering if the other stories held up. If not Im just going to grab the 2 Omnibus', some Moon Knight, and maybe Kraven's Last Hunt
>>
>>88455294
The Gauntlet was actually before Dan Slott took over the title, when Amazing was a weekly title under Waid, Kelly, Van Lente, and Guggenheim

it was the last time Spider-man was good before the dark times
>>
>>88455419
Wasn't Dan Slott part of that rotation? I could have sworn he did a couple Gauntlet stories.
>>
>>88456462
He was.
>>
>>88456462
he was but he wasn't in charge yet
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.