[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I finally caved and marathoned through all of Rick and Morty,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

File: p11928964_b_v8_aa.jpg (190KB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
p11928964_b_v8_aa.jpg
190KB, 960x1440px
So I finally caved and marathoned through all of Rick and Morty, and I have to say, I don't get the fanbase that keeps yelling about how profound and deep this is. I was told it was futurama and sliders with philosophy, but all I'm saying is try-hard humor for edgy white kids.

Am I missing something? I told my friend who recommended me this and he got really mad at me. He got really pompous and said stuff like "you're just not seeing the bigger picture" and "maybe you're just not smart enough to get it." After I had said I seen and understood everything he was pointing out, he got mad and called me a cynic and left.

I don't know what the bigger picture is supposed to be, it seems pretty straight forward. Aside from the episode where they have to bury their own bodies or the one where Rick finally gains a sense of ethics, there's not a whole lot going on here. I'm not seeing the bigger picture. All I'm seeing is college freshman psychology 101 and humor straight from Animal House.

Can someone enlighten me as to how this is so much deeper and better than Futurama?
>>
Anyone who says that it's deeper and better than fututama has no idea what they're talking about
>>
>>88444586
This. Anyone here will tell you flat out this is just another flash in the pan Adult Swim cartoon. It'll run for 3 seasons, get canceled, have a huge cult following that will spark a less good revival on Netflix and then stop again after season 5 with little to show other than a few tear bait episodes.

Your friend sounds like an autistic man child.
>>
A lot of my friends love it but aside from the ones who're media majors, can't really say much beyond that "it's good and funny".

Like, I get that theres the bit of philosophical nonsense thrown in by Rick, but it's thrown in very on the nose were I don't even really need to analyze it to get the deeper meaning. It's more or less spelled out, at least to me.

It's a good show, but I like Futurama a bit more because it wasn't really trying to be edgy or preachy (or at least, too preachy, it's been a while since I saw the show.)
>>
File: 1435194145617.jpg (485KB, 924x1010px) Image search: [Google]
1435194145617.jpg
485KB, 924x1010px
>>88444684
>(or at least, too preachy, it's been a while since I saw the show.)
You should watch it again, it gets pretty bad with that in later seasons
>>
>>88444963
meant for
>>88444934
>>
I like Rick and Morty for the laughs, never really thought it was the deepest more profound piece of media in existence. Fans always overrate stuff they really like though so it's to be expected.
>>
>>88445085
This.
>>
File: 08 - XA9f9CX.png (1MB, 2744x2448px) Image search: [Google]
08 - XA9f9CX.png
1MB, 2744x2448px
>>88444530
I think the problem is that people describe this show as deep instead of RELATIVELY deep.
There is some fairly complicated philosophy in Rick and Morty, not enough to be impressive in its own right, but enough to be impressive for a gag cartoon.
>>
>>88445948
Pretty much this. R&M tackles the issue of nihilism and the existential angst, which isn't something you see a lot in animated shows (Bojack is the only other series I can think of that does the same), but it doesn't say anything incredibly complicated on the subject. It's a fun exploration, don't get me wrong, and the dissonance between the humor of the series and its themes made it worth the watch for me... but I don't know if it's the best thing since sliced bread or anything
>>
>>88444963
I blame Harmon. He's said he doesn't respect people who want to see more of the show.
>>
>>88444530
I like this show becasue I like the humor and Joke in it, I like their take on the SF genra and the characters have grown on me. I don't know if that made it deep, bit it at least make it a good show.
>>
>>88444530
That guy in sauna said to me about the Gazorpazorp episode that maybe it takes to watch the show from the start, because the humour about feminism seemed to him a bit hamfisted, not that it didn't made any points, though.
>>
>>88444530

I like Rick & Morty because they follow through on many science fiction concepts, in particular what would happen to someone who knows for a fact that there is no sense to existence. Also, I like the kind of humor Justin Roiland has.

I wouldnt say Rick and Morty is deep, but something about it is "fresh" in the way the stories are told.
>>
It is definitely not "deeper" than Futurama, but it is definitely edgier and funnier. Your friend probably is too pretentious and stupid to even recognize any of the guest stars.
>>
>>88444530
Its okay to not like something popular and vice versa.
People have different opinions, if someone tells you they like a show and you dont, you dont have to care. Looking away is actually a solution.
>>
>>88444530
Your friend is a faggot. Stop hanging out with him.

Rick and Morty is more funny and dark if anything. It's not philosophical at all to me. It gets deep a bit at times but never philosophy levels.
>>
>>88447293
>hamfisted
>literally says at the end "and any epiphanies about gender politics were projection of your feminine insecurity"

But I guess since that falls short of showing her getting raped, horribly insulted or beaten, that's too feminist for you.
>>
>>88444530

It's Futurama for SJWs.
>>
>>88444530
Sliders are little hamburgers, stupid.
>>
>>88444530
>maybe you're just not smart enough to get it.
There's been like one joke so far where it's funnier if you're "smart enough to get it".

>>88447502
The whole episode was kinda clumsy.
>>
>>88444530
your friend misled you
it's not profound and deep in its plot
it's profoundly funny and deeply well-written in terms of its clever references and concepts. the plots are intentionally juvenile as fuck, as a contrast.
>>
>>88445948
>>88446175
Agreed. It is a great show though. And i think it captures the nilhism in our curent society. It isnt just wanking nihlism it is showing how most of us are enslaved to it.
>>
File: Brutal.gif (34KB, 356x200px) Image search: [Google]
Brutal.gif
34KB, 356x200px
>>88444530

>tfw no more Metalocalypse
>>
>>88447595
>the plots are intentionally juvenile as fuck
I wish I could get fans who would believe things like this.
>>
It's good popcorn entertainment, but anyone who thinks it's actually deep is an uneducated fuck.

>>88446650
I have respect for Harmon, but he's getting too old to be as much of a druggy (yes, druggy. listen to his podcast) numale as he is.
>>
>there are people who call Rick and Morty deep
>there are people deconstructing Rick and Morty for some kind of meaning
What ever happened to taking a show at face value and just enjoying it for what it is?
>>
>>88447293
I took that episode to be a mockery of sci-fi parables about sexual politics since both sexes are rank, insulting stereotypes. The males are sub-verbal violent rapists and the females are arrogant, hypocritical, and cruel.
>>
>>88444530
Your friend sounds like faggot.
>>
Well, if I have to look for something "deep" in this show the bit about Morty burying his own parallel universe self and talking to Summer about cheerful nihilism was OK I guess.

That wasn't really that deep, though.
>>
Rick and Morty is great but everyone who thinks that it's "deep" is a pretentious redditor
>>
When they try to put emotions into the show it feels so forced, that is what makes this show a solid 7/10.
Like that episode with unity and at the end rick tries to kill himself, I hated that whole part.
>>
File: YSqGYlu.gif (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
YSqGYlu.gif
1MB, 640x360px
>>88444530
>Can someone enlighten me as to how this is so much deeper and better than Futurama?
Rick and Morty is not exceptionally deep. Anyone who lead you to believe that is just easily impressed, however it is deeper than a lot of shows on TV right now. I would argue more than Futurama, sure. Here is as deep as both shows usually get

Rick and Morty
>What if your reality was destroyed and you inserted yourself into another and pretended everything was the same? Could you go through day to day life knowing your parents aren't really your parents? That your real ones might be dead or suffering in the hell your created? What would it mean, philosophically, if you could 'fit in' to such a place you didn't belong? Wouldn't that be a bad thing as much as it is good?

Futurama
>What if bender was god to a bunch of little people? Wouldn't that be zany? Punch at religion! LOL!

Not to say the Futurama idea isn't any less interesting, the problem is tone. Futurama feels like a sci-fi Simpsons, Rick and Morty feels like an HBO TV series that has sci-fi and humor inserted. There is a grim almost 'realism' to Rick and Morty that makes it uncomfortable to watch sometimes. It comes mostly from the characters and their behavior though, not the stories or setting. Futurama feels like it could be filmed before a live studio audience because everyone is usually just acting super wacky like they are all reading scripts and trying to put on a good performance.
>>
Long story short, it's like this with Rick and Morty
It can have complex themes or messages, but it's not the selling point of the show; they don't do it the best and they don't try to do that
What sells this show is that it uses those themes for comedic purposes, and makes you laugh at something like the insignificance of life
Anyone who thinks it's a godsend of logic and story is an idiot
>>
>>88444530
>the fanbase that keeps yelling about how profound and deep this is

Do people really say this? It's a funny show but profound and deep it ain't.
>>
>>88448630
then we wouldn't have discussions and apparently taking it in face value is boring and not fun
>>
>>88444530
I love Rick and Morty, but it sounds like your friend is taking it a bit too seriously. It does get pretty deep 2 or 3 times and a couple times throughout, but it's not like it was the purpose or focus of the show. It's just a great comedy with some great philosophical moments throughout imo.
>>
>>88447511
What's so SJW about it m8? It pretty politcally incorrect. Problem is edgelords get a hold of it.
>>
>>88451402
Also this:
>>88445948
>>
>>88444530
Tell your friend another fan said he's a shitiot and the reason a lot of people don't give the show a chance. If you don't like the humor that's fine but don't let that fucking asshole ruin your perception of it. Just because you don't "get it" does not mean you're dumb or whatever he's implying.
It's not deeper, just uses bigger words, and it's not better, just cruder. It's okay if you don't like it.
>>
>>88444530
R&M Is a good show, but it's nothing quote "profoundly" unique or enlightening. It's hardly subtle in it's storytelling when it actively trys to be philosophical, but even when a story element like this is in the story it's often shoehorned in... I.E. Rick at the end of season 2.

Also this >>88444586

So, no OP, you're not missing anything. If you look into it to much you might become a statistic.
>>
>>88447511
You're as much of an autist as OP's friend
>>
One thing that I think is unique to Rick and Morty as a cartoon comedy is there are a couple scenes that are genuinely disturbing. The one where the guy tries to rape Morty in the bathroom made me uncomfortable as fuck. Also, after the episode with the evil Rick who had the wall of tortured Mortys, I am not sure if I should root for Rick or hate him. Hopefully season 3 will clear up some dangling plot threads and Rick will display some emotional growth.
>>
>>88451840
Evil rick was a robot though, evil morty is the brains. Also the same episode established that main character rick is pretty much as close to legitimately good as he can get without being from the shit eating dimension
>>
REDDIT AND MEMEY
>>
>>88444530
>Can someone enlighten me as to how this is so much deeper and better than Futurama?
I can only assume you're retarded as it should be very obvious.
None of the characters in futurama undergo existential crisis. Maybe its that you haven't graduate from elementary school yet.
>>
>>88444530
Cool story, bro
>>
>>88454325
>None of the characters in futurama undergo existential crisis.

I'm pretty sure Bender has.
>>
>>88454273
The only meme is the notion that it's popular on reddit. Probably no more or less than the other retard gathering places.
>>
>>88454434
Does a hyper realistic coma dream count? Because if so Leela as well.
>>
>>88449345
Oddly, Futurama went through the exact same scenario, but they just moved on immediately
>>
>>88452057
You really think a Morty was responsible for the horrific torture of all those other Mortys? I think the real evil Rick was just operating the robot Rick from a remote location so he wouldn't be caught when all the other Ricks arrived at his base.
>>
>>88454938
Evil rick is fucking dead, bro. No evidence, just a guess.
>>
>>88451840
>One thing that I think is unique to Rick and Morty as a cartoon comedy is there are a couple scenes that are genuinely disturbing.

Nothing that hasn't already been on South Park or Family Guy for the past decade.
>>
>>88445085
>>88446175
>>88444530
It doesn't really get deep other than Nihilism 101.

Most people think it's smart because it has some lore to it, which is still considered unusual in cartoons.

That being said, it's still pretty funny, or at least shock humor.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.