[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Frank Oz right for turning this movie down and calling it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Muppets.jpg (480KB, 1920x1036px) Image search: [Google]
Muppets.jpg
480KB, 1920x1036px
Was Frank Oz right for turning this movie down and calling it "too safe"?

What did you think of the 2011 Muppets movie (and by extension, everything the Muppets have been in since then)?
>>
Too safe
>>
>>88393673
I really liked the 2011 movie. Maybe it did play it a little safe, but I think it stood on it's own, while still honoring the original. The music was fantastic and the plot/message was cute. I'd watch it again.

I actually really liked the second one too, it didn't really have any heart warming moments, but it was very funny, and again, the music was incredible. I'm a sucker for cameos too. They had a good progression in this one as well making sure it was more about the Muppets in a Muppets movie.
>>
>>88393673

Frank Oz agreed to projects like Muppets from Space and a bunch of the really shitty TV movies like Muppet Wizard of Oz and Muppets Letters to Santa.

I can't really say he has the best judgment anymore.
>>
Did anyone watch the show?
>>
>>88393767
My Twitter feed was always full of a ton of different people praising it. Really feels like they cancelled it too damn soon, and it only makes me feel insanely guilty for not finding the time to check it out.
>>
>>88393767
>Did anyone watch the show?

I tried, but it was just very boring. I get that they were going for a grounded sitcom style approach to humor "but with puppets". The jokes just weren't snappy and everything plodded, especially when they introduced relationship drama stuff.

The midseason retool was an improvement, but it was too late at that point. The Muppets have always worked best as sketch comedy with zany antics; not serialized storytelling mixing subdued humor with pathos.

That said, Dave Goelz is the fuckin man. He never says no to playing Gonzo because he loves that part too much to ever let anyone else do it while he still draws breath.
>>
File: IMG_9558.png (1MB, 890x1300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9558.png
1MB, 890x1300px
>>88393673
No matter how good it gets, it doesn't have the person who matters
>>
>>88393857
How a guy that looks like a serial killer could make great kids franchises?
>>
>>88393673
Playing it safe was the point. It was meant to be a throwback to the classic 70's Muppets during a time period where the Muppets had essentially been corporate shills for the past ten-fifteen years.
>>
>>88393673
As I see it: The Muppet Movie was the perfect Muppet movie.
The Muppets was the perfect Muppet tribute.
>>88393767
It picked up a lot midseason.
Still, it's a shame they fucked it up so badly. We're unlikely to get any new Muppets any time soon.
>>
>The Muppets underperforming at the Box Office
>Muppets Most Wanted Flops
>Muppets TV show canceled

I don't think today's kids like the Muppets.
>>
>>88394540
The current Muppet's were mostly a brand that spent too much time congratulating itself instead of doing anything new or funny. They're a bland caricature of themselves, which is impressive given they're puppet jokes.
>>
>>88393673
I wish Disney bought Sesame Street instead of HBO

Would have been nice to have the Muppets and Sesame Street under one roof.
>>
>>88393673
Not like Frank was going to perform anyway. He hasn't really since the mid '90s. He has a lot of back problems, probably from so much performing. Even his characters in Muppets from Space were performed by someone else, and he dubbed his lines in later. If you don't believe me, watch the early trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R94eV8nxvrA

I think The Muppets was very safe, but if there's any movie that should be playing it safe, it's a Muppets homage movie.

>>88393857
I read his biography last year. Real good read, if you're interested. It casts a light on a lot of his flaws, however. He was kind of a fucking douche to his wife. As much as I love his work, he seemed like the kind of person I wouldn't have had the patience to deal with in real life. The circumstances of his death are still heartbreaking. I think it's the only book I actually shed a tear over.
>>
I liked the Kermit in prison movie better. The relaunch had a couple good songs but it wasn't memorable.

Also Walter is a dud of a character.
>>
I liked the 2011 movie, but everything else after was mediocre.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.