[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes this stripped down, "realistic" reimagining

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

File: olivia-thirlby-anderson-dredd.png (831KB, 1409x584px) Image search: [Google]
olivia-thirlby-anderson-dredd.png
831KB, 1409x584px
What makes this stripped down, "realistic" reimagining of Judge Dredd so much more well received than other adaptions of otherwise surreal, colorful comic book series? I mean, this is essentially an interpretation of Judge Dredd in the Nolan Batman style that so many have come to be critical of, but Dredd is often loved as an example of an adaption done right.

I mean, obviously it's the perfect cop duo dynamic between Anderson and Dredd as characters that makes the story itself work so well, but I mean in a wider sense as an adaption of the Judge Dredd mythos as a whole.
>>
>>88177476
Because it was a rip off of a better film.
>>
>>88177476

the satire the brits use poke fun at america

this version removes that satire and makes it about a shitty world with dredd concepts.
>>
>>88177496

>Because it was a rip off of a better film.

If you're talking about the Raid, the Raid actually borrowed from Dredd's script.
>>
>>88177476
Most people are stupid. All the over the top parody of american and british culture would just confuse most people. A more "straight forward" or "realistic" adaptation was the only way to get the movie greenlit by the suits. Movie executives can themselves be surprisingly culturally retarded.
>>
>>88177476
An enjoyable movie is an enjoyable movie. There is no strict 1:1 equation that says one genre film or one film in a close style to another existing film IS that film or should have the same level of enjoyment.

This isn't an incredibly hard to understand idea.
>>
File: slomo.png (599KB, 856x715px) Image search: [Google]
slomo.png
599KB, 856x715px
>dredd wasn't colorful
>>
>>88177598
...okay, this I gotta hear.
>>
>>88177598
Oh you know what, I think you're right.

Didn't the producers see the script and decide Hollywood would never make it so they adapted it to make it their own?

My bad. Forgot about that.
>>
>>88177634
The Dredd script was leaked in 2010, Raid came out in 2011. It was originally supposed to be a much more complex movie but they threw all of that out and made a movie that was incredibly similar to the leaked script.
>>
>>88177747
You do know the scripts aren't anything alike, right? Just the basic premise of "cops in a building fighting assholes"
>>
>>88177476
Because underneath the gritty realistic visuals, they absolutely nailed both characters. Dredd was an unfeeling, unfazed, unstoppable badass with hints of hidden depths and his own sense of right and wrong beyond just what the law says. Anderson was a caring woman caught between genuinely wanting to help people and knowing it would only get her killed, hardening herself but struggling to keep her compassion in a merciless world. And any changes to her character, like her not being an aloof jokester, were completely in service to the movie's premise.
What it boils down is that the movie really reached for the core of both characters, and the decision to make Anderson the protagonist and the PoV was a hugely inspired one, letting her bear the brunt of character development while leaving Dredd alone to be himself. Their essence was therefore kept unchanged and excellently translated to the new medium.
>>
>>88177839
>unstoppable badass
Didn't seem like it from what we saw.
>>
>>88177835
The plot structure is almost exactly the same.
>>
>so much more well received than other adaptions of otherwise surreal, colorful comic book series
It barely made anything in the box office and even critically it was just as well received as any other MCU movie
>>
>>88177835
I'm just saying that for people saying that Dredd is a ripoff of The Raid is a misinformed opinion because Dredd was in production for much longer than The Raid and had its script leaked before it and The Raid underwent a dramatic rewrite after the leak
>>
>>88177913
Like I said, only the basic premise is the same.

>>88177947
It's not a misinformed opinion. The Raid came out first and then Dredd came out with a very similar premise
>B-but it doesn't count because I was sitting on this idea for such a long time
Doesn't matter. Besides, in terms of writing the execution is far more important than the idea. You could call almost anything a rip off because almost every idea has been used, but if you execute it with great vision then you can make it feel unique. And the Raid is superior because it actually has great action, this is what people liked in that movie, the fight scenes not that it took place in a building.
>>
>>88177476

1. It was well-made
2. It's a film, and a lot more accessible than comic books to the average person.

That's all it really was.
>>
why is she so perfect /co/?

I used to hate blondes and prefer brunettes
but she made me now love blondes with short hair.
>>
>>88178041
>It's not a misinformed opinion. The Raid came out first and then Dredd came out with a very similar premise
Dredd started filming in 2010, the Raid was released in 2011. It's an incredibly misinformed opinion that is remedied by a simple google search. You don't know how movies work, do you?
>>
>>88178207
More than you. It's hilarious how you keep screaming "IT"S NOT A RIP OFF DAMMIT" when it's already been addressed that it doesn't even matter if the basic premise for the two is similar. Hell, you'd have a better case saying Iron Man was a rip off of Batman Begins.
>>
>>88178041
Wow, so you're saying plagiarism doesn't matter as long as the plagiarist does the stolen material better???
Fucking hell. Does someone like you even have friends?
>>
>People actually remember shitty films like The Raid
>>
>>88178310
This isn't plagiarism, fuckhead.
>>
>>88178295
Why are you trying to bait me into a unrelated argument when everyone else was talking about the timeline of the releases of the movies?
>>
>>88177476

it made up the lack of fantastic looks and presentation with quality acting, quality writing and well done filmography.

in other words, it was an actually good fucking movie in spite of being a comic book movie, and not because of it.
>>
>>88178406
What are you even talking about? top lel, is your brain fried? I just love how much The raid triggers you Dreddfags.
>>
>>88178488
Oh, so you're just pretending to be retarded.
>>
>>88178523
I brought actual arguments to the table, you just cried. Stay mad.
>>
>>88178390
talk about fanboyism
>>
>>88178578
You're "actual argument" was to try and make the conversation about the artistic quality of the movies while multiple other anons were discussing the timeline of releases of the movies.
Can we just skip to the part where you say you were only pretending?
>>
>>88177896
I dunno dude. He casually throws a mook over the railing after being dealt a hail of gunfire and acts like it was nothing. Really, the only thing that threw him for a loop were the corrupt Judges, and even then he just bided his time until Anderson showed up.
>>
>>88178690
>discussing the timeline of releases of the movies.
Well I hope english isn't tour first language...or maybe you were pretending all along?
>>
>>88178753
>Well I hope english isn't tour first language
Well, that's embarrassing for you.
>>
>>88178155

The funny thing is that Olivia Thilrby is plain as fuck irl.
In Dredd she looked better than she ever actually will in her life.
>>
>>88178838
It's the law, the law makes everything sexy
>>
>>88177839
It's the way that they played off of one another that made this interpretation of the characters work. Alone, they would have both exhibited weak characterization, but depth is revealed in their relationship with one another, enough to compensate for how how muted they made the usually bombastic personalities of Dredd and Anderson. They both see something deeper in one another and share the same idealism that allows them to overcome both crime and corruption of authority without breaking.

I guess this was intentionally supposed to be an early origin story for both of them, but I'd kill to see them both far removed from this era, in a position where they're both settled into themselves with their fully realized personalities.
>>
>>88178806
Nah, it's just a typo. I didn't go full retard like you did.
>>
>>88178728
>bided his time
He got severely injured and only survived because he did the old trope where the villains is pointing at the gun at the hero put stops to give a speech. He gets his ass saved by a rookie.
>>
>>88178877
It must be especially embarrassing considering there was nothing wrong with what you greentexted.
>>
>>88178917
So then we're in agreement? The Raid came out in 2011 and that rip off Dredd came out in 2012?
>>
>>88178877
>changing topic to avoid the fact you were wrong
Who cares if the Raid ripped off of the Dredd script, it was still a good flick.
The fact that you're being so defensive about it means you're upset on a personal level.
Stop being a little bitch.
>>
>>88178954
No, we're in agreement that The Raid copied Dredd's leaked script as it was little more than an extended concept piece designed to drum up funding for what became The Raid 2.
>>
>>88178954
So now, you're jumping back to the previous argument that was already proven wrong? What's with you and deflection?
>>
File: Dredd 3D - Choke.gif (3MB, 400x169px) Image search: [Google]
Dredd 3D - Choke.gif
3MB, 400x169px
>>88178728
>>88177896
And even with the corrupt judges he was winning quite handsomely until he ran out of ammo.

>>88178855
Well, Anderson has always been a strong foil for Dredd, and it was a pleasure to see him grow to respect and even appreciate her. But I think their relationship with the setting is just as important, if not more. The scene where they barge into the ganbanger's wife's home was a really strong example of that.
Also, I remember that one of the ideas that was mentioned for a sequel was bringing in Chopper, and man, I would kill to see that. To see an older, more experienced but still deeply caring Anderson facing a kid who only wants to be somebody in a city of nobodies. How would she react to someone like that? How would she act once Dredd got involved? That's the main thing I'd love to see in a sequel: an antagonist who's not evil, and who brings to light the brutality of Justice Dept and how it crushes citizen and criminal alike.
>>
>>88177476
because it was better than the original movie by stides
>>
>>88177476
Because there are plenty of Judge Dredd stories that are stripped down and light on the surreal, over-the-top elements commonly associated with Judge Dredd?
>>
>>88177476
It didnt fuck around with his origin story for an hour
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-10-28-14h13m41s995.png (1MB, 1920x800px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-10-28-14h13m41s995.png
1MB, 1920x800px
>>88177476
Because it understood the genre tropes of the respective mediums.

Judge Dredd the comic book lives in a comic book world, with comic book art direction and villains and tone. DREDD 3D lives in an action movie world, with action movie aesthetics and villains.

The comic book dressings of Judge Dredd don't translate to film, because they're based on something that isn't there in film. It needs to feel familiar, be instantly recognizable, so we can get to the characters and story and action. Judge Dredd's comic book world would be weird and alienating for most viewers in film, and requires a lot more effort to establish, and get people in the mindset of. Dredd creates a familiar looking world, that still retains the essential parts of Judge Dredd that they need.

The massive sprawl of mega city one, the sense of a dying world, the filth and crime and decaying society. The brutal work of the Judges, unrelenting, but too small for the sea of violence. The moral ambiguity of being a Judge. The hyper intense violence and brutality. These are all perfectly captured.

What's more, it's a brilliantly made movie, arguably the most gorgeous action movie ever made. Seriously, start watching it and just click around randomly, every single frame is fucking gorgeous.
>>
>>88178390

It's implied plagarism.

The dredd script was out there in weeds for awhile and it was assumed by many after seeing the raid come out just before Dredd that they had copied elements.
>>
>>
File: 1469116340590.png (521KB, 670x539px) Image search: [Google]
1469116340590.png
521KB, 670x539px
>>88177476
>the Nolan Batman style that so many have come to be critical of

I'm sorry to be the one to let you down but The Dark Knight will never not be the best cape flick of our time
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.