[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If Marvel did a DC-style reboot and reverted the Marvel Universe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

File: anadp11.jpg (426KB, 990x1503px) Image search: [Google]
anadp11.jpg
426KB, 990x1503px
If Marvel did a DC-style reboot and reverted the Marvel Universe back to how it was in the 80's or early 90's would it REALLY hurt anything?
It seems to me that Marvel has been roughly 95% shitty at all times since the mid 90's, usually jumping from event to event and constantly doing "soft-reboots" to accomplish nothing but temporarily increase sales with new #1 issues and end storylines prematurely.

>Kang(or some other time traveler) goes back in time to the late 80's with popular character X to stop event Y because it starts a domino effect that eventually leads to catastrophe Z
>After event Y is stopped popular character X must stay back in the late 80's to make sure events stay course-corrected and catastrophe Z never happens
>Marvel Comics are now ALL back in the late 80's, where events play out similarly for a time but eventually branch off because of X and Y changing things and all the bullshit of the last several decades is wiped from existence

Wouldn't that be much better and more interesting than anything Marvel has planned?
>>
As a DCfag who got into comics because of the New 52, I'd prefer Marvel to not reboot at all. It's crippled the history of most DC characters.
>>
>>88123451
Why can't Marvel draw Coulson properly?
>>
>>88123616
That's because the New 52 reboot was stupid. It was only half a reboot and it required new readers to have years of prior knowledge for numerous characters, primarily Batman and Green Lantern.
>>88123650
They'd be sexist and racist if they spent more time drawing a white man.
>>
>>88123451
>If Marvel did a DC-style reboot and reverted the Marvel Universe back to how it was in the 80's or early 90's would it REALLY hurt anything?
Yes.
>>
>>88123684
Reboots are fucking stupid and unnecessary. It has become a meme on /co/ to reboot anything they don't like. They are a lazy way out for lack of creativity. Any comic can be written whithin estabilished continuity as long as there's good editorial and creativity behind it. DC didn't have to reboot anything. Stop using or mentioning whatever you think it's shit. You don't have to erase everything to get rid of things that doesn't make sense anymore.
>>
>>88123704
Such as? The general consensus seems to be that almost every current Marvel comic and event sucks dicks and have been sucking dicks for years.
>>88123774
But the current world of Marvel comics is bogged down in dumb shit. Everything that's been happening since the mid 90's has been stupid and anything done in the future without a reboot has all that dumb shit as its foundation.
>>
This is such a stupid idea.
And not just stupid because Marvel is what it is and if you don't like it go read fucking DC, you moron.
NO, this is stupid because you think that's going to make everything how you like it in Marvel comics.
And that's another reason why you're a moron:
You are mad about their editorial positions, their "Social Justice Warrior" company-wide worldview, their inclusive casting.
Resetting everything back to a time before the current fanbase started reading, that is to say: giving half their readers the bird, isn't going to change how lefty political they are, it's not even going to change how many prominent minority characters they have in the books.
There was never a magical all-white Aryan hetero Right-wing fascist wonderland portrayed in Marvel comics. That's a sick little lie your sick little brain has told you.
They were SJWs in the '80s too, you MORON!
ANDJESUS FUCKING CHRIST, they are still going to be writing new stories, you're still going to get butthurt because HitlerTrump isn't the hero in every issue, get it? Moron.

You aren't asking for what you and /pol/ want, because you're morons.
You are asking for something that will make you special white power snowflakes even more outraged than you are now.
Because you're a moron, remember?
>>
>>88123851
Way to project, tumblr.
>>
>>88123851
Are you done being a faggot now?
I never said anything about the female and minority characters, you illiterate fuck. I don't care about such characters being incorporated, I care about good writing. If they rebooted to an earlier time and had 30 monthly titles for different female and minority characters all with relevant creative teams(as in not all white men) I would buy them all if they were well written.
>>
>>88123451

You mean like they practically did with Spiderman?
>>
>>88123957
It's cute that you think you can sell that, but if this shitpost thread goes past 50 posts like all the other past "Mawel shood rebutt!" shitpost threads the whole "conversation" is going to degenerate into /pol/'s greatest hits of cross-board race-bait trolling again, just as planned.
>>
>>88124051
And OMD was the single greatest idea ever.
Of course OP thinks it'd be wonderful to do company-wide!
...because he's not a moron, right?
>>
>>88123451
I feel like Marvel's original audience jumped ship too long ago for that to work.
Besides Bendis would still be there.
>>
>>88124157
Better than what we got now.
>>
>>88124117
So if some assholes roll in and troll then it's the OP's imaginary racism that's to blame? You're literally retarded.
>>
>>88124051
Are you being willfully obtuse or are you actually this stupid?
One More Day was one of the most poorly written comic events I can recall and is a glaring example of why a reboot would be a good thing. OMD is now forever a part of Spider-Man's lore and history unless a reboot erases it.
>>88124171
Original audience? You mean from the 60's? Yeah, they're probably long gone.
>>
>DC has "rebooted" four times
>Every event is about things from the old continuity coming back, often using characters/iconography from old crisis' as a way of telling readers that nothings really erased

DC is pretty dumb in its own ways too pal
Reboot won't fix shit unless all you really want is to retread every old idea
>>
>>88123774
>any comic can be written whithin estabilished continuity as long as there's good editorial and creativity behind it.
GOOD editorial's entire job is to keep people from writing "any comic." Because continuity and consistency by definition shut down certain avenues.
>>
>>88123451
That's some quality content, anon. Really biting commentary you spent all of five minutes on.
>>
>>88124298
isn't it retarded to think that's not going to happen on the thread made for that?
>>
File: tumblr_n5swaok9JS1qjk1cko1_500.png (106KB, 500x578px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n5swaok9JS1qjk1cko1_500.png
106KB, 500x578px
>>88123451

Seeing as more of my favorite stories and characters are way more recent (2000 --> This year), and the chances of the company taking the time and effort to recreate their backstories are not that good and, even if they did, it would take several years before they get to the point they're now:

No.
>>
>>88124349
No I mean from the 80s and 90s, the audience this reboot would target.
>>
>>88124535
Which is more time than Marvel writers put into each comic.
>>88124581
>if I say you're a racist cis oppressor then you are!
Bitch, my favorite Marvel character is Dazzler. My favorite comic as a kid was X-Men. I voted for Obama, Bernie and Hillary. You're being a massive cunt for literally no reason, and a wrong cunt at that.
>>88124640
But why would only readers from back then be interested? Did DC's previous reboots only attract readers who didn't exist since their rebooted worlds were brand new? Did the Ultimate universe titles sell no copies because no one was already a reader of such titles?
>>88124636
But the whole point would be to AVOID getting to the point they're at now since the point they're at now is fucking terrible.
>>
>>88124722
And why is the point they're at now terrible?
Oh yeah, editorial demanding shitty constant events and making readers mad to sell.
Replacing all non creatives might solve most problems here.

A reboot wouldn't stop them from making yearly events that take up 2/3 of the year.
>>
>>88124853
But a reboot would erase all of the shitty "world building" that all of the terrible events and editorial interference have lead to. Even if the fix was only temporary it would still be better than what we've got.
>>
>>88124722
If it's not to please previous audiences what's the point?
Why would it sell well with the same shitty creatives?
>>
>>88125246
>If it's not to please previous audiences what's the point?
To stop being shitty as fuck?
>Why would it sell well with the same shitty creatives?
Marvel's creative pool is constantly changing because they're a shitty company that can't keep talent.
>>
>>88125313
It would still be shitty. The (shitty) established lore is not why it's shitty.
>>
I think Marvel just needs to get to the core of what made their characters great again (har har, Trump line). I mean, normally each character had a feel to their franchises. Thor was high fantasy and mythology, Iron Man was tech and general themes of corporate backstabbings, Captain America was a lot of espionage and so on. What's hurting Marvel is that they believe "Because it's a shared universe, heroes should run into the other heroes ALL THE TIME!" which is what made a lot of stories lose their coherency. In fact, it's not special if a character just runs into another character anymore. I mean, the fucking GOTG are stuck on Earth now!

The problem is that most of the writers at Marvel don't have brains or will to come up with creative new ideas to breathe life into franchises. They save that for the films.
>>
>>88125313
Also the creatives that matter (namely Bendis and Slotted) have been there for a decade+ and aren't going anywhere.
>>
>>88125435
If you think overdoing crossovers is new you should read some Lee/Ditko Spidey.
>>
>>88125435
That's exactly what each of those titles is doing right now, along with those fresh ideas you asked for.
So what was your real complaint?
>>
>>88125502
Spider-Man at least has a supporting cast and rogues gallery of his own.
>>88125510
Maybe it's just directed at Iron Man. I feel like most of Marvel is using the same bunch of characters ad nausim that it stops mattering. Like how the new Wasp series promotes "Guest Staring Kamala Khan, Mockingbird and Moon Girl", or how Spider-Gwen, despite being in another dimension, shows up everywhere. It loses its spark if characters just keep appearing so regularly.
>>
>>88125435
Yeah this.

I was reading 80s spidey recently and damn, they definitely crossovered characters but it was far and few inbetween.

Spiderman was a street level loner, yet he could still be counted by the FF for help if need be.

It slowly started with All New Marvel but its more common ever since secret wars ended, ANAD marvel has other heroes popping up 24/7 every second issue in books they had no right to be in.

Its annoying and just slowly blends everything together. You don't have to synergize comics that much with each other.

Also movie synergy is complete cancer. Fuck Ike.
>>
>>88124527
>>88124527
>Because continuity and consistency by definition shut down certain avenues.

As does rebooting, because there are stories that you can't tell anymore when history between characters don't exist or certain elements aren't pre-estabilished and have years of history. Continuity is endless possibilities. Rebooting is just substracting.
>>
>>88123814
Says you. Early 2000s Marvel was fucking great. It was after Civil War that everything started to go to shit.
>>
>>88123451
>late 80s
lmao no too much cancer
roll back to the mid 70s and we'll start talking
>>
OP is delusional if he thinks reboots solve anything. Eventually that new continuity is going to be full of shitty things again and what are you going to do then? Reboot endlessly? It's fucking ridiculous.

It's just throwing all the toys away and getting to tell the same fucking stories again. Nothing is gained.
>>
>>88126274
B-But DC is better than Marvel! /co/ keeps saying so! And t-this must be why!
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.