[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post some /co/ related myths >Batman was a campy character

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

Post some /co/ related myths

>Batman was a campy character in the comics like in the Adam West show until Frank Miller returned the character to his dark and gritty glory with the comic Dark knight Returns released in 1986

People usually ignore Batman was already back to his gritty pulp fiction roots with the Dennis O'Neil and Neil Adams 70's run and they give all the credit to Frank Miller (and in some lesser degree to Tim Burton and Alan Moore) for "saving" the character from the campy hell and making people take Batman seriously again.
>>
O'Neil-Adams is too refinated for the edgy batfags
>>
>Stan Lee created Captain America
>>
>>88114487

>Stan Lee created Marvel Comics and all the characters
>>
>>88114487
Lee is to Captain America as O'Neil is to The Question.
>>
>>88114284
O'Neil's Batman was a likeable human hero, Frank is the one that created the psychopath one
>>
>>88114284

>Golden Age Batman was a killer like the Punisher who murdered all the criminals he fought.
>>
>>88115025
Miller arguably ruined Batman as a character. Year One is great though.
>>
>>88115206
I don't think he intended to make TDKR Batman the benchmark for Batman from then on

He just wanted to make a psychotic cynical old Batman story
>>
>>88114996
Did you just call O'Neil a crook and a hack?
>>
File: edgy.png (292KB, 489x374px) Image search: [Google]
edgy.png
292KB, 489x374px
>>88114284
Batman's "darkening" was a gradual process through the 70s. Joker's 5-Way revenge, for instance, reintroduced the idea of a Joker who kills but is still filled with some Silver-Age-like camp. Later O'Neil stories would become more like the one we know. Also it wasn't so set in stone that Batman was a dark character until TDKR. Even in the late 70s you still got campy as fuck stories like "Where Were You On The Night Batman Was Killed?"
>>
>>88114284
You'd have a point there if more people read the comics than watched tv/movies.

Fact is that Tim Burton did bring Batman out of the campy era in the public eye.
>>
File: Joker_patentoffice.jpg (151KB, 500x748px) Image search: [Google]
Joker_patentoffice.jpg
151KB, 500x748px
>>88115317
The irony is that I bet for a lot of people their "definitive" Batman is the BTAS and that was based almost entirely on Bronze Age Batman. Some of the episodes were literally just direct adaptations
>>
>>88114284
>still had a personality, because his character traits weren't yet divvied up between an army of lame sidekicks
>/fit/, but not a steroid monster
>actually fought normal criminals and did detective work

70s batman was the best
>>
File: Tec584.png (2MB, 1041x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Tec584.png
2MB, 1041x1600px
>>88115618
That Batman was still around in the 80s
>>
>>88115764
It's varying. Some comics he was, but in some others he was starting to skew a little closer to Miller.

I think it all changed after he got the new dark costume in 1995 (or was it late 1994?), basically his suit but with all darker colors that he wore till No Man's Land.
>>
>>88115817
Blame Dixon
>>
>>88115206
>The Miller was responsible for changing Batman meme
Batman's character didn't change much until O'Neil was the Bat editor.
>>
>>88114284

Stan Lee and Steve Ditko feuded over the Green Goblin's identity.
>>
>>88115411
Rather ironic for sure. But it all comes full circle when the audience for BTAS begins to look into and appreciate all the elements from the comics that the show used.
>>
>>88115927
The rumor wasn't that they argued, but that Ditko left over it.

Ditko left because of the Spider-Man Cartoon, specifically because he didn't receive any royalty money from it.
>>
>>88116266
It's debated about why he left, but the only thing that's confirmed is that he didn't leave over the Goblin's identity, because he was sole plotter of the comic for at least the last two years of his run (something that's even confirmed by Stan in an interview back in 1965).
>>
>>88114487
>>88114888
>Stan Lee created every superhero ever
>>
>>88114888
He co-created a good deal of those iconic characters and he may as well have made Marvel because he was the one that brought in Jack after Atlas fell apart.
>>
File: 1460594852758.png (180KB, 331x249px) Image search: [Google]
1460594852758.png
180KB, 331x249px
>>88115311
>Dat recolor
>>
>>88121415
Neal Adams is adamant about recoloring any of his work that gets republished. I have no idea why.
>>
>>88116266
source?
>>
>>88121701

i heard green arrow/green lantern escaped it
>>
File: talesOfTheDemon.jpg (42KB, 500x218px) Image search: [Google]
talesOfTheDemon.jpg
42KB, 500x218px
>>88121744
Maybe it's just his Batman stuff then.
>>
>>88115206

>Miller arguably ruined Batman as a character.

that is a good myth anon, you're right!
>>
>>88114888

This is less of a myth and more of a thing normies/casuals just automatically believe for some reason.
>>
>>88121821
Third is best but first is more atmospheric
>>
File: Wacky Zoom.png (757KB, 572x567px) Image search: [Google]
Wacky Zoom.png
757KB, 572x567px
>>88114284
On Professor Zoom:

>His character was based solely around making Barry Allen's life as miserable as possible.
That characterization comes from the New Earth comics. In his first appearances, Zoom was mostly a robber who tried to commit a theft in every century. After that, he mostly tried to steal Barry's wife. When rejected, he was ready to kill them, though, but all the way to his death his main M.O. was screwing with Barry to steal his wife.

>Silver Age Reverse-Flash looked like a clone of Barry
Not all the time. He only transmogrified his appearance to match Barry's when trying to woo Iris,

>Reverse-Flash and Zoom are different people
Stop watching CW.
>>
>>88121703
If you're asking for source on the real reason why Ditko left, I don't know if that anon has anything on that, but that is one of the rumors (another rumor was that he felt Stan might've not credited enough, and another is that he didn't want to work for someone who wasn't communicating with him).

But if you're asking for source on the "Ditko leaving over the Green Goblin's identity is a myth", that comes from piecing together info: Word from Ditko himself, where in an essay for The Comics newsletter he points out that he knew Osborn would be the Green Goblin and set up visual clues in the preceding issues, so he definitely didn't leave because of the Goblin's identity. You could try to claim that's just Ditko's word, but then there's the other two other things to contend with: A magazine in 1999 (I think it was Comic Book Marketplace) where Ditko actually wrote in to point out that Stan didn't write the Master Planner story; Ditko did the plotting for it (and other comics around this time) while Stan only did dialogue and they didn't talk over the plot. Stan didn't argue against it. Another is that in a Stan Lee interview in the New York Herald where Lee actually confirms that he's let Ditko come up with the stories himself since they argued so much about them.

>In the January 9, 1966 New York Herald Tribune article by Nat Freedland, Stan said, "We were arguing so much over plot lines I told him to start making up his own stories." However, by the time of Amazing Spider-Man #25, Lee and Ditko were no longer speaking to each other, and therefore "it is just common sense that we could not have had any face-to-face discussions on anything, let alone disagreements, arguments, over any or about any future S-M story," Ditko wrote in The Comics! (March 2009).
>>
>>88123759
There is one other thing to note though: Lee and Ditko DID disagree over the Green Goblin, but not in the way everyone thinks they did:

>In the first installment of "A Mini-History" (The Comics!, July 2001), Ditko writes that Lee originally wanted The Green Goblin to be "an ancient, mythological demon" who "comes to life." Ditko states: "I rejected Stan's idea. Why? For the same reason I rejected other ideas of Stan's on Spider-Man. .... The mythological creature was too far out for Spider-Man."
>>
>>88122608
>implying that Hunter Zolomon never existed

(I know that Eobard was also called Professor Zoom sometimes, though, so see where you're coming from. However, I would be absolutely okay with that being retconned, as it's just an unnecessary layer of confusion)
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.