[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>the dark knight returns is for casuals >the killing joke

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

File: benaffleckman.jpg (9KB, 131x184px) Image search: [Google]
benaffleckman.jpg
9KB, 131x184px
>the dark knight returns is for casuals
>the killing joke is for casuals
>the man who laughs is for casuals

So, what are considered the "truly good" Batman stories then? I must admit, I am something of a more casual fan of Batman, but I feel like every time I read one that's supposed to be good it ends up being "for casuals"
>>
>>87980655
Batman Odyssey
>>
...Year One? Maybe?
>>
>>87980662
Nah, that's for casuals too
>>
>>87980655
Gotham by Gaslight.
The Dark Knight Strikes Again.
The Cult.
>>
>>87980655
Doom that came to Gotham
>>
>>87980655
That one Legends Of The Dark Knight story where he goes back and forth from believing he's Batman to being a crazy guy in an institution. I don't remember the issue numbers, but that story was a mindfuck and a half.
>>
>>87980709
So it's a meme thread.
>>
>>87980655
Grayson?
>>
>>87980741
Anyone who gets their fanny flustered for being called a casual deserves nothing but memes. Just read what you want to read and like what you like.
>>
You know, just because something is casual, doesn't mean it's bad. Those stories are just really well known, usually because of their quality, so for newbies they're good jumping off points.
>>
>>87980655
Is it considered good? Then it's for casuals, and you shouldn't read it.
Is it considered as okay to bad? Then it's just bad, and you shouldn't read it.
>>
>>87980655
Batman is for casuals you dunce, there is no "Truly Good" Batman story since all of them are entry level as fuck go read some Moon Knight, Black Panther, and Nighthawk
>>
>>87980655
People who take "casual" meme seriously are usually the bottom of the barrel on society and uber losers, that need to act superior for reading obscure funny books about Batman.

You doesn't need to care for what they think, they are patethic. Read what you likes.
>>
>>87980655
Who said "The Man Who Laughs" was casual?
>>
>>87980943
Everybody. It's really well known and it's always being recommended to newbies.
>>
>>87980834
Marlel pls
>>
>>87980655
Wouldn't the term entry-level be more appropriate than the term casual? Greater accessibility doesn't necessarily make a work bad. I know this is 4chan and all, but still.
>>
>>87980992
Popular things are bad. The more obscure something is, the better it is. All other metrics are for casuals.
>>
>>87980834
>go read some Moon Knight, Black Panther, and Nighthawk
It's a meme thread after all.
>>
>>87980655
Those stories are truly good on their own,
/co/ntrarians hate them because they can't claim superiority by reading stories that are (rightfully so) so well known. It's almost /tv/-tier hipster faggotry. Though If you want to read something a bit more complex than most entry level stories, I would advice Morrison's Bat Epic.
>>
>>87980655
Dark Knight Strikes Again
Holy Terror (its basicly fucking batman)
Death of the Family
Anyone who tells you different is a fucking casul
>>
This entire thread is full of casuals. Real hardcore fans haven't even heard of Batman
>>
File: tumblr_lyl9sdm1xy1qcbo9lo1_1280.jpg (129KB, 563x743px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lyl9sdm1xy1qcbo9lo1_1280.jpg
129KB, 563x743px
>>87980655
>Reading Batman
>Not Spring heeled Jack
Casual get out
>>
>>87980709
Gotham by Gaslight is garbage redeemed only by Mignola's art.
>>
>>87981035
>a bit more complex than most entry level stories, I would advice Morrison's Bat Epic.

Morrison's Batman run isn't complex, it's just long and self-referential.
>>
Just because something is popular, it doesn't mean it's 'for casuals'. People sharing your fandom is not diluting it, it's strengthening it. Fucking idiots thinking nothing popular is worth liking. Obscure doesn't = quality.
You want recommendations that are not so obvious though? JLA: Tower of Babel is the best non-batman story about Batman. Thrillkiller is fun elseworlds stuff. Year One is not on your list but should be. Gotham Central is worthy.
>>
>>87980655
Long Halloween and Dark Victory. Also Morrison's run.
>>
It's funny, because casuals hate both DKR and TKJ for promoting rape culture, misogyny and fascism. Also, because they think that Miller's art is thrash because he cannot draw "anatomically correct" bodies.
>>
Batman: Cacophony.
>>
>>87981623
casuals =/= few sjw retards
Most casuals praise both DKR and TKJ. DKR animated version praised much more than original tho.
>>
When are you faggots going to realize batman is SO MAINSTREAM right now, everything he is, is for fucking casuals.

Batman is literally THE super hero for casuals.
>>
>>87981335
If by garbage you mean not garbage then you would be correcct.
>>
>>87981671
Like any other super hero who is not total garbage?
>>
>>87981653
You can always see threads on /co/ from people who recently read it, saying how they didn't find it good. The part about Miller's art is definitely true for casuals.
Snyder's run(especially coo and dotf) and Loeb stories are more casual friendly than those.
>>
>>87980655
Arkam asylum is the only truely artistic Batman book. Dave McKean is a fucking genius and paired with Morrison it is golden
>>
Morrison's Batman run, particularly Batman and Robin, is patrician.

Lots of "casual" Batbooks are great though, The Long Halloween for example is a fucking masterpiece.
>>
>>87980655
>I feel like every time I read one that's supposed to be good it ends up being "for casuals"
That's because casuals will only read the good ones because they're recommended to them
If it's good, it's casual
>>
>>87981853
The Long Halloween turns every villain in it into a fucking joke.
>>
>>87980655
Dear OP. Anything is subject to be for casuals if it's liked for the wrong reasons. That also means that nothing is for casuals if it's liked for the right ones. Never you mind about them.

Just read the stuff and pay attention to details, as in story, story in the context of the characters' mythology, pacing, pencils, colors, composition and paneling. Paying attention to that ought to make you fully appreciate a book storywise and artwise. Then you'll be able to tell if you like it or not, and be justified in your decision.
>>
>>87981892
that's cause they are

TLH embraces the absurdity of Bats' rogues gallery, rather than doing some fucking Nolan shit where he pretends they're not ridiculous
>>
>>87982058
When I see Bats beat up all of his villains when they're in a room together, I call bullshit.
>>
>>87980943
man who laughs is shit also.
>>
>>87981787

Casuals ≠ /tv/ contrarians

Those are specifically designed to be bait threads
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.