[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it me or does this show hold up better than the other WB/Spielberg

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: Freakazoid.jpg (16KB, 450x369px) Image search: [Google]
Freakazoid.jpg
16KB, 450x369px
Is it me or does this show hold up better than the other WB/Spielberg shows? I mean Animaniacs felt more like a hit or miss with some hits (Warner Brothers, Pinky and The Brain) and misses (The hippos) along with a large focus on run-of-the-mill whimsiness.

Meanwhile Freakazoid had a much more bizarre and non-linear style of humor and presentation especially in the second season and later in the first where it ditches the "multi-segments" to have more linear episodes still with simple, but brilliantly bizarre humor and non-sequiters.
>>
>>87911713

it's because it had the talent of bruce timm and a few writers who weren't in just to squeeze the "dude cartoons lmao" and 90's counter culture schtick like Animaniacs and tiny toons.
>>
It had its own identity and knew what it wanted to be.
>>
>>87911713
Shit, I felt this way back when the show was airing. Steven Spielberg was one of the few non-dead celebrity names I recognized as a kid and thought Freakazoid was the best of his shows. I also remember enjoying it a lot more when it became half hour episodes instead of 6-minute segments like you said. I think I just really had a thing for Superhero comedies because I also loved The Tick and Darkwing Duck was my favorite of the "duck" cartoons.

In fact, I fucking love the Marvel quip era right now, I wish I had grown up with it. I know people here hate it but heroes fighting bad guys with superpowers while saying a joke here and there is just a plain good time to me.
>>
>>87911920

Freakazoid did use 90s culture though, but not over-excessive like the other ones while still keeping it's bizarre and non-sequiter wit.
>>
Freakazoid is GOAT
>>
>>87911713
So is Freakazoid one of these cartoons literally everyone liked?
>>
>>87916099

Apparently not the network though seeing how it was treated.........
>>
>>87913610
and it referenced all kinds of things that were still around in the 90s but had older roots. trekkies, astro boy, this old house...
>>87917630
the problem is it got massive positive response, but from a too-old demographic. You can't convince execs to just... take someone ELSE'S money for a change..
>>
>>87911713
Hugbees!
>>
>>87918524
HUGGBEES!
>>
>>87918582
Moose!
>>
What do they call poo gas in Scotland?
>>
>>87911713
*flying noises*
>>
oops insurance killed me every time
>>
>>87921785
Crud vapors.
>>
>>87918311
Don't forget the running gag in the episode where Professor Jones (voiced by Lost in Space's Jonathan Harris) first appeared;

"Weren't you in a tv show with a robot?"
>>
>>87923009
heh. I like that. crud vapors.
>>
>>87923075
That was only a little funny. what was REALLY great was how much he kept suffering indignities.
>>
>>87923294
And how he'd occasionally come up with ideas that even Freakazoid found ridiculous, like his theory that Norm Abram was abducted by pixie people who wanted to make him their new king.
>>
>>87911920
Bruce Timm barely did anything other than providing designs and concept art. He wanted to do some generic Spider-Man/Madman/whatever super hero show and gave up because Spielberg wanted a nonsensical comedy show.
>>
>>87923294
Adding a level of funny to that is...that's pretty much how he acted in Lost in Space too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz2_d6zWDhg
>>
That was quite a jolt, Freak.
>>
>>87918311
>the problem is it got massive positive response, but from a too-old demographic. You can't convince execs to just... take someone ELSE'S money for a change..
This is something I'll never understand. You didn't get the intended demographic? Okay, that sucks, but why don't execs try to change their plans and cater to the audience they attracted? Is their money not as good? Is it just pride?
>>
>>87925133
sucks we couldnt have both.
of course the 90s had several other more serious comedy-action-shows where the outcome of the adventures was a bit easier to take seriously, like road rovers or uh.. well not earthworm jim.. hmm..
it's funny because right now too much goofiness in ostensible action shows is a major problem
>>
>>87926573
they have higher-ups who don't understand their asses from a hole in the ground.. and THEIR higher-ups are almost literally senile. it's like if your great-grandpa had to sign off on everything you do, you'd learn to get things simplified-down and realize that anything with major changes to the existing plans will not fly so you don't bother
>>
i would occasionally run like freak in grade school.
>>
>>87926573
>>87926688
Why successfully go for a smaller demographic, when you could fail at getting a larger one?
>>
>>87926868
yeah it's almost like that's the smart way to lose the least money over time..
>>
>>87926982
Because an audience of zero is better than an audience of some.
>>
>>87926573
The problem is mainly advertisers. Advertisers pay to advertise to a specific demographic and if that demographic isn't watching then the advertisers aren't going to pay leaving you scraping the bottom of the barrel. If the people watching are mainly older during a block/time where the advertisers are going to be advertising to kids, then that presents a problem.

The network, being profit-driven, puts the demands of the advertisers over the demands of the adults watching.

Not saying I agree with that but that's how it is.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
Tim Curry was one of the best things in this show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWEnJSoPSoc
>>
It's pretty cool that Candlejack has managed to survive lo
>>
>>87917630
NETWORKS ARE FICKLE! THEY CAN DROP YA LIKE A MAN WITH BIG OAK FINGERS!
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.