[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Maleficent a good movie? Thinking about seeing it. And

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: images.jpg (35KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
35KB, 500x750px
Is Maleficent a good movie? Thinking about seeing it. And yes, this is /co/.
>>
it's great but apart malefic no other character has any kind of depth.

good children movie
>>
It's awful. Really heavy-handed feminist metaphors (like the prince cutting off her wings while she sleeps is clearly rape) abound, and Maleficent is given the 'dindu nuffin' angle instead of being an antihero

Also the evil king forges a suit of Dark Souls armor and a Castlevania whip to fight Maleficent in her leather Matrix catsuit at the end. That was pretty bananas.
>>
>>87796343
Propaganda film.
>>
>>87797352
>Really heavy-handed feminist metaphors (like the prince cutting off her wings while she sleeps is clearly rape) abound, and Maleficent is given the 'dindu nuffin' angle instead of being an antihero
that doesnt make something a bad movie
>>
When I watched it I thought it was just supposed to be Sleeping Beauty from Malificent's POV but it wasn't until I got to the end I realized it wasn't.

It sucks.
>>
>>87797736
Not really defending the movie since I have yet to see it myself, mostly out if not caring enough, but sounds like different expectations are what mostly ruined it for you
>>
>>87797352
>Also the evil king forges a suit of Dark Souls armor and a Castlevania whip to fight Maleficent in her leather Matrix catsuit at the end. That was pretty bananas.
This description actually makes it sound pretty awesome. Probably much more than it was in the actual movie.
>>
>>87796343
>Is Maleficent a good movie?
Depends on your level of redpill autism, anon.

As a standalone it's not bad (and Jolie was pretty much born to play the role); but if you go in expecting Snow White's Big Bad to get the Wicked treatment you're going to get annoyed by how far off they go into left field. As an example: I was expecting her to turn into a giant dragon at some point and that never happened at all.
>>
>>87797962
It played a role in it but the movie was still bad.
>>
It's fine.

Jolie is good and there are some fun scenes, but the story is predictably bland while the special effects range from jarring to passable.
>>
>>87797652
It kinda does when the king is given no personality except to be a dick

He's not a compelling antagonist, so when Maleficent is also an uncomplicated protagonist (supposed to be a jaded ruler accepting the perception of her as evil but she never does anything but be completely good) is boring

Also she didn't even turn into a dragon. What the fuck is with that bullshit
>>
>>87798398
I don't think that's something you blame on feminism. That's something you blame on lazy writing.
>>
>>87797962
If it was a movie about Maleficent, I think it was reasonable to expect a movie about the events in Sleeping Beauty, in which Maleficent takes part.
Instead, you get a completely different story with completely different characters, some of which share name and appearance with Sleeping Beauty characters.
If that doesn't bother you, I guess you can enjoy it.
>>
>>87798152
>>87798398

Oh yeah she didn't turn into a dragon. What the fuck were the writers smoking? This is especially fucked up because they advertised the dragon in the trailers.
>>
>>87797352
>Also the evil king forges a suit of Dark Souls armor and a Castlevania whip to fight Maleficent in her leather Matrix catsuit at the end. That was pretty bananas.
wat

This sounds exactly as insane as you put it. Should I watch that scene at least?
>>
>>87796343
Complete shit. Turns one of the most stylishly evil classical female villains into a horribly boring good guy and goes the horribly cliche route of making the old white male the bad guy who needs to be killed at the end.

And yes as people have mentioned Male doesn't even turn into a dragon, it's her raven fuckboy or something I forgot.

It was a cash-in on the feminist movement.
>>
>>87798681
>making the crown a fucboy

It was stupid
>>
>>87796343
It's not great, but it could have been. It crams too much into a short space, and never gives any scene the full attention it deserves. The movie seems like a very abbreviated set of clips of a much longer much better movie.
>>
It's awesome for the 15-20 in the middle where Jolie is actually playing motherfucking Maleficent.

The rest is mostly mediocre.
>>
Another thing I just remembered: She wasn't evil in this movie, not even a fucking anti-hero. Literally what was the point then? It's like making a movie about the Joker where he doesn't kill anyone, fights crime, and saves Gotham.
>>
They spent so much time on making Maleficent an anti-hero, they didn't bother giving any other character any sort of depth at all. Or a brain for that matter.

I don't know what's worse. On one hand, you got the poorly acted, "Mad King" Stefan who's more stupid than mad. On the other you had the wasted potential of the Good Fairies, who instead of possibly being the true villains pulling the strings, are literally the Three Stooges with wings and no sense of comedy.

Angelina was good as Maleficent, but nowhere near good enough to carry this movie.
>>
>>87796343
I thought it was incredibly cringeworthy

it was just a fad cash grab response to wicked, original maleficent is not believable as a misunderstood villain, i hated aurora, their "relationship" was completely unbelievable, and the fact that maleficent is NOT the dragon is just insulting

it doesn't help that I hate angelina "look at my fucking lips" jolie
>>
>>87796343
It was boring.
>>
Man the king making fucking dark souls armor at the end was rad as fuck, fighting against unbeatable odds. Truly a hero
>>
>>87796343
No, it's not good. Maleficent is portrayed as a faultless victim for the entire film and it sours any good moments it could have had.
>>
Disney saw 'Wicked' and 'Frozen' and feminism and decided to combine all three for a cash in. Really nothing more to say.
>>
>>87800235
>It's like making a movie about the Joker where he doesn't kill anyone, fights crime, and saves Gotham.

There is an episode of The Batman where Joker does exactly that and it's awesome.
>>
>>87803287
What.

I'm like 90% sure Frozen was 2013 and Maleficent was 2014.

The relationship between Maleficent and the princess was so fucking forced it was obvious they were trying to (poorly) imitate the female/female relationship that the sisters had.
>>
it's ok i guess,but i don't remember much about it except that it really bugged me that they made the fairies idiots

it's not a "women can't be dumb comic relief" thing, either, it's just that that they were pretty much the heroes of the original film, and tearing them down to prop up maleficent kinda makes the feminist message hard to swallow

and plenty of people have written about how unnecessary making the biggest, baddest disney villain a misunderstood victim is
>>
The Batman & Robin of our times. A glorified slash fic
>>
>>87796343
>has to make the king evil for any of this shit to work
>make the fairies retarded
>make the prince useless by giving Jolie muh kiss of love instead
It's garbage
>>
Did Maleficent and Aurora get married at the end or something? It looked like a gay wedding
>>
>>87796343
Not even fucking close. It's the worst case of blatant revisionism in recent memory. They try to paint Maleficent as a tragic character to the point where they completely forget she's supposed to be the damn villain. The entire thing reads like a bad fanfiction written by a high-school freshman that just saw Wicked. It is the embodiment of "Draco in Leather Pants".
>>
>>87803252
But that works because it was a two part special that actually explained why. The first part was about the Crime Syndicate Earth where Joker is the Red Hood and is good. The second is in the normal earth, but everyone turned on Batman because the Owlman framed him. Joker is forced to work with him because he's the only one that believes him he still betrays him in the end. All of this is entirely in-character, Maleficent was just pure drivel.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.