[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Civil Rights Graphic Novel March: Book 3 Is The First Co

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 6

File: MARCH-BOOK3-cover-713x1024.jpg (245KB, 713x1024px) Image search: [Google]
MARCH-BOOK3-cover-713x1024.jpg
245KB, 713x1024px
>Civil Rights Graphic Novel March: Book 3 Is The First Comic Book To Win A US National Book Award

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/11/civil-rights-graphic-novel-march-book-3-is-the-first-comic-book-to-win-a-us-national-book-award/

Of course it takes a shitty book about racism to finally get comics some respect in the literary world.
>>
>>87791529
Maybe you should take a break kid's books and check it out for yourself sometime.
>>
What, in your opinion, was shitty about this book?
>>
>>87791529
>to finally get comics some respect in the literary world.
Maus and Fun Home already did this, March isn't the first time a serious non superhero comic got recognition
>>
>>87791529

>comic book

Isn't a graphic novel? It wasn't sold in floppies.
>>
>>87791529
>Kotaku isn't dead

what the fuck. Also linking to certain sites like Kotaku should be a bannable offense
>>
>>87791529
Literally who
>>
>>87791602
Floppies are comic books.
Trades are comic books.
Graphic novels are comic books.
>>
Did you read the book you're complaining about?
>>
>>87791602
Literally the same thing. Graphic novel is just a longer comic book.
>>
File: kotaku ocarinas lol.jpg (192KB, 686x605px) Image search: [Google]
kotaku ocarinas lol.jpg
192KB, 686x605px
>>87791629
>>Kotaku isn't dead

Kotaku got bought up and now their talent ran away to Vice Gaming and such.

It's basically Kotaku in name only.
>>
>>87791565
Haven't read it, the art seems good but I hate how anything about racism always wins awards and considered high art.
>>
>>87791629
why would it be dead? they already struck a deal and the only thing that ever went down was the main gawker site which wasn't even that popular compared to the offsprings like kotaku or jezebel.
>>
>>87791683
>Haven't read it
>lol it's so shitty lol
So you admit that you're cancer.
>>
>>87791647
Why would /co/ read a comic that isn't about superpowered fist fights?
>>
>>87791751
Shut the fuck up hipster trash.
>>
>>87791845
Look at what thread you're in. Grow some self-awareness.
>>
>>87791877
I just saw your shitpost when browsing the front page, fuck face.
>>
>>87791529
I guess I should get around to reading this. The vibe I get from it is that it's one of those comics that's ashamed to be a comic so I never bothered.
>>
>>87791916
>OP doesn't read comics before reviewing them
>you don't read threads before barging in to shit them up
Poetry.

Thanks for the laugh.
>>
>>87791985
Oh fuck off you pretentious fuck.
>>
>>87792007
so reading something before you talk about it is pretentious?
>>
>>87791529
>Of course it takes a shitty book about racism to finally get comics some respect in the literary world.
Triggered much?

I don't see how this is a bad thing
>>
>>87791954
> comics that's ashamed to be a comic

what does this even mean?
>>
>>87791954
>one of those comics that's ashamed to be a comic
Where did you get that vibe? From the author's interviews it just seemed like he wanted another way to reach more audiences.

e.g.
>TBRN: You’ve written about your experience before, in a more traditional autobiography. What made you decide to tell your story again as a series of graphic memoirs?
>JL: It was an attempt to make the words come alive. When I first moved to Atlanta back in 1963, at the age of 23, I was here to see Martin Luther King, Jr. preach. And his father would be in the church and would urge his son: “Make it plain, make it real.” I think by using the graphic format, it is making it available to a lot of people who want to read and see those illustrations, and to make them feel it. Especially young children. It’s not just simple words; it’s actions. And that’s what my life has been and what the movement was. It was about action.
>>
>>87792028
This shitposting>>87791751
is
>>
>>87791954
it's drawn by nate powell who is a pretty good comics artist so i doubt it has that problem, I have to say haven't bothered or really care to read it despite my liking of powell
>>
>>87792056
Are you not aware what thread you're in?

It's not pretentious to talk about /co/ not reading comics when we're literally in a thread about not reading comics.
>>
File: march trilogy.jpg (160KB, 955x706px) Image search: [Google]
march trilogy.jpg
160KB, 955x706px
>>87791529
remember back in august when the march trilogy BTFO everything but harry potter

and accomplished this

>Prestige aside, the Eisner may be the least of this graphic novel’s accomplishments. In May, the New York City Department of Education announced that “March” would be part of this fall’s Passport to Social Studies program for eighth graders. The series has also been included in reading programs at colleges around the country, including Michigan State University, Georgia State and the University of Utah.

and this

>Since its debut last week, March Book Three, the final volume in the trio of graphic novels telling the story of Rep. John Lewis and the fight for civil rights, has not only bested everything on Amazon but Harry Potter, according to artist Nate Powell,they’ve had to print so many copies the printer ran out of paper. The first printing of Book Three sold out in three hours – but new printings are on their way, and Powell is selling autographed copies at his site.
>>
>>87792049
So it sounds like he looks down on the medium and is using it to shill his book by trying comics because young dumb kids read comics, not books.
>>
I'm gonna make a bold statement here guys and I want you to stick with me because this might be a controversial stands but...racism is bad.

I don't know why no form of media has ever tackled it.
>>
>>87792105
Mockingbird achieved this too.
>>
>>87792105
poor /co/ can't catch a break
always liking shitty selling big two stuff that nobody cares about

1. Dork Diaries 10 by Rachel Renée Russell (Aladdin/Simon & Schuster)
2. Dork Diaries 9 by Rachel Renée Russell (Aladdin/Simon & Schuster)
3. Drama by Raina Telgemeier (Scholastic/Graphix)
4. Smile by Raina Telgemeier (Scholastic/Graphix)
5. Sisters by Raina Telgemeier (Scholastic/Graphix)
6. Kristy's Great Idea: Full Color Edition by Ann M. Martin and Raina Telgemeier (Scholastic/Graphix)
7. Dork Diaries 1 by Rachel Renée Russell (Aladdin/Simon & Schuster)
8. Big Nate: Say Good-bye to Dork City by Lincoln Peirce (Andrews McNeel Publishing)
9. El Deafo by Cece Bell (Amulet Books/Abrams Books)
10. Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland (DC Entertainment)
11. Star Wars: Jedi Academy by Jeffrey Brown (Scholastic)
12. The Truth About Stacey: Full Color Edition by Ann M. Martin and Raina Telgemeier (Scholastic/Graphix)
13. Big Nate's Greatest Hits by Lincoln Peirce (Andrews McNeel Publishing)
14. The Walking Dead Compendium 3 by Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn, Stefano Gaudiano (Image Comics)
15. Big Nate: Welcome to My World by Lincoln Peirce (Andrews McNeel Publishing)
16. The Walking Dead Compendium 1 by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore, Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn (Image Comics)
17. Big Nate: The Crowd Goes Wild! by Lincoln Peirce (Andrews McNeel Publishing)
18. Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh (Touchstone/Simon & Schuster)
19. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (Pantheon Books)
20. Dork Diaries 9: Barnes & Noble Edition by Rachel Renée Russell (Aladdin/Simon & Schuster)

when the real shit that does well isn't capeshit
>>
>>87792107
>shill his book
Wow, I can't believe he would be shilling his book in an interview about his book. What a shock, what an outrage. You are totally not just looking for shit to get upset about.
>>
>>87792160
He is shilling his book on an interview about his comic book.
>>
>>87792107
he's using his past experience of reading an old MLK comic he read and saying he wants other kids to experience that too
>>
>>87791683

Just admit that a book tackling racism, which is something that exists, makes you uncomfortable and upset.
>>
>>87792207
Your existence makes me uncomfortable and upset.
>>
>>87792043
Basically when it's above the medium and tries to apply literary elements and values, to elevate it above comics instead of playing to the medium's strengths and making a good comic. In other words what we get every time a comics outsider tries to write a comic. But the pages I've seen have looked pretty good so I'll give it a shot.
>>
>>87792234
You give too little credit to Nate Powell.
>>
>>87792277
Literally who
>>
>>87792142
Smile was good. I would read more Telgemeier comics if more Telgemeier comics were available for piracy.
>>
>>87792310
the artist and essentially he does the marvel method with john lewis
>>
>>87792310
>Why would /co/ read a comic that isn't about superpowered fist fights?
>>
>>87792324
you can read them at every library in america dude
>>
>>87792357
I can't get past my library's No Singles policy.
>>
>>87792346
>suck a dick hipster trash
>>
>>87792386
Are you in the wrong thread?
>>
I don't mind that it won, but serious question to comic fans out there, do you believe this is the only comic in the world good enough to win this award?
>>
>>87792532
No, but I don't care. March may not be the best comic ever, but it's "good enough" to win an award.
>>
>>87792532

Have any suggestions for other contenders?
>>
>>87792609

Not at all, it just seems odd given what, 100+ years of comics in the US from countless creators and this is the first one deserving of this reward?
>>
>>87792532
do you think crash deserved to win the oscar for best picture in 2004? these awards don't mean "It's the best thing" it means that the product was promoted enough by the publisher and it winning would please a large amount of people for various reasons, in this case being it is about a historical event involving racism that is still talked about.
>>
File: March.jpg (164KB, 513x750px) Image search: [Google]
March.jpg
164KB, 513x750px
For anyone curious:

>March - Book One (2013) (Digital) (Monafekk-Empire)
http://www90.zippyshare.com/v/Kug1jhhw/file.html

>March - Book Two (2015) (Digital) (DR & Quinch-Empire)
https://userscloud.com/saocjstryxy0/March_-_Book_Two_(2015)_(Digital)_(DR_&_Quinch-Empire).cbr

>March - Book Three (2016)
https://www.amazon.com/March-Book-Three-John-Lewis/dp/1603094024
>>
>tfw X-Men has been tackling racism for decades and no one takes it seriously because they have superpowers
>>
>>87792609
Well it's the award for Young People's Literature so there are probably lots that could have won by now. First Second basically puts out three or four better YA OGNs that are better than March every year.
>>
>>87792673
> 100+ years of comics
comics haven't been taken seriously until very recently, this is just a symptom of people just realizing comics can be a serious medium
>>
>>87792707
I took it seriously even with the superpowers.

Until Claremont left. Now there's no point.
>>
>>87792675
also for further proof of this look at the other winners, there's a clear theme of race going on with these choices
>The Underground Railroad l by Colson Whitehead
>Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Ibram X. Kendi
>The Performance of Becoming Human by Daniel Borzutzky
>>
>>87792384
Fuck that bothers me so much. It was easy when I was in school because the teacher would arrange 'study sessions' for the poor kids and I could just tag along.

But I graduated two years ago and the only times I've been to the library are 1) to hand in stuff I had out before I graduated and 2) on open days when I can fake like I'm with a family and get in. I tried to convince my niece and nephew to go with me one day but they wanted to get ice cream instead.

It drives me nuts. There are three receptionists that work there and they're all nice but completely resolute about the no singles thing. Once I had a really humiliating conversation with the old retired guy who does the reception where he asked if I couldn't just bring my girlfriend along for a while.
>>
>>87792790
Fortunately it's counterbalanced by my local LCS shop having a No Girlfriends policy.
>>
>>87792790
>>87792384
Wait, you're kidding me. Why would a library do this?
>>
>>87792707
X-men is low brow superhero comics.
>>
>>87792107

You can read, you can write, but comprehension is beyond your grasp
>>
>>87792833
It's like a "citizen's initiative" thing? Pretty much every public place in my town does it - cinema, swimming, some gyms. Local law kinda thing.
>>
>>87792833
A lot of armchair librarian-wannabes think that they can get away without having a No Singles policy, but once they break into the real world of library operations, they see that it's not so simple.

You don't want to be the librarian responsible when a lone gunman starts shooting hostages. You don't want to be the librarian responsible when a lone pedophile starts molesting the children in the kiddies section. You don't want to be the librarian responsible when a lone thief sneaks off with your city's rare antique tomes.

Single people aren't trustworthy, and it just makes more sense for libraries to err on the side of caution with a No Singles policy, only admitting couples, families, and classrooms of students.
>>
>>87792907
That's pretty fucked up. What is their reasoning?
>>
>>87792231
Discomfort leads to growth when you take the time to reflect
>>
>>87792919
Ah they brought it in after the Aurora shooting (it got expanded after the Elliot Rogers' thing too). It's supposed to be because single men are more dangerous in public spaces.
>>
>>87792918
I have never encountered this policy in my state. Thank god for that, I guess.
>>
>>87792968
>>87792918
Fuck this shitty society
>>
>>87792968
Good thing misandry isn't real. I'm glad I can walk into my library with no issues though. Christ what you said sounds almost like satire.
>>
>>87793020
>Christ what you said sounds almost like satire.
I'm not sure who's trolling who anymore.
>>
>>87793003
Please don't make posts like that. Your post sounds like a threat, and it's threats like yours that make society so scared of us singles. I don't want to bear the burden of consequences from your actions.
>>
>>87792673
Other comics have been nominated for a National Book Award before.
>>
>>87793003
Yeah it's pretty bad. At my school they used to call it "the girlfriend test"
>>
>>87792907
What town is that?

I have never heard of such a thing
>>
>>87793083
Are you trying to track me? Is this entrapment? If you're with the government you have to tell me, it's the law.
>>
>>87793083
Holyoke, CO.
>>
File: IMG_1936.png (231KB, 292x379px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1936.png
231KB, 292x379px
>>87793083
>>me
>>87793046
Oh... its been so long since ive fallen
>>
>>87793161
>I'm not falling for this, you guys are just joking!
Hmmmmm?
>There's no way that libraries care whether or not you're single!
Oh really? Okay, well why don't you test this, alright? Go to your local library, go to the wee kiddie section, and start reading a Raina Telgemeier comic for little prepubescent girls.
>W-w-well I c-could b-b-b-but--
Yeah, that's what I thought.
>>
>>87793083

Same, it's not a thing in Louisiana.

>>87792711

Then there probably was considered the best of what was chosen to review.
>>
>>87793210
I dunno m8, I hang out at my local library by myself all the time.
>>
Sure is /tv/ in here.
>>
>>87793210
Idk what that is but if you want me to hang out with kids and read pink shit I dont see the issue here

We live in a post brony world, I saw a guy in a movie theatre with an anime girl painted on a body sized pillow, said it was his gf

Donald Trump won and people still think Clinton could save them

Why the fuck would I have shame?
>>
>>87791683
>Haven't read it

KILL YOURSELF
>>
>>87793404
>Nate Powell
>Raina Telgemeier
Nah, we're doing fine.
>>
File: 453273788.jpg (111KB, 497x640px) Image search: [Google]
453273788.jpg
111KB, 497x640px
>crossposters try to trigger /co/ with garbage /pol/ opinions
>fail
>>crossposters try to trigger /co/ with garbage /r9k/ singles policy memes
>fail

Nice try cunts.
>>
>>87793758
How can you call _that_ garbage when we're still in
>"I Didn't Read This Comic But It's Shit": The Thread
>>
>>87793145
>Holyoke, CO.
That's the sort of bullshit I'd expect from Holyoke, MA.
>>
>>87792992
Same, I go to my library alone all the time. Huh.
>>
>>87792105
I wonder if Powell will ever get to write/illustrate a superhero story
>>
>>87791529
Racism is still a thing?
>>
>>87795732
Only in amurikkka.
>>
>>87795732
>Racism is still a thing?

Take you haven't been paying attention to our new president's views.
>>
>>87792384
I remember when /tv/ tried turning it into a meme last year. They thought everything would be golden for them after their success with Baneposting.
>>
>>87793985
you can't complain about sucking dick until you do so

*unzips dick*
>>
>>87791602
It's a memoir. Novels are fiction, Anon. It's a graphic memoir.
>>
>>87791683
>Haven't read it
>"Doesn't it suck how literary gatekeepers only like sequential art that isn't about people in costumes punching?"

You are the worst kind of comic reader, Anon.
>>
>>87796025
You can complain about the act of sucking dick, but you can't verify the quality of dick sucking unless you try it.
>>
>>87796150
That's off. The only person that could verify the quality of dick sucking, would be the person having their dick sucked.
>>
>>87796128
Isn't there a Birth of a Nation showing for you to attend?
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.