[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does any cartoon fan instantly critique stuff for being "mean-spirited"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: 157.png (16KB, 680x400px) Image search: [Google]
157.png
16KB, 680x400px
Why does any cartoon fan instantly critique stuff for being "mean-spirited"? Whether it is or not, it's such a huge buzzword that I see almost everywhere where there's discussion of cartoons.
>>
Mean-Spirited is New Nu Male for Edgy.
>>
>>87780162
>New Nu
>>
>>87780162
New Nu Male? Is it that bad?
>>
"i don't really like it, it rubbed me the wrong way, it's not for me"
it's a legitimate reason your friend doesnt wanna watch every edgy youtube video you send him
>>
>>87780342
But as I said, anytime there's discussion on cartoons I always see someone just chalk it up to "It's mean-spirited". Even if it's just something like Edd Ed and Eddy, or classic slapstick like Tom and Jerry. It's a cartoon, who cares?
>>
>>87780383
>who cares?
they do, clearly
>>
>>87780401
Rephrasal; Why should they care?
>>
>>87780185
Not as bad as Neo New Nu Male.
>>
>>87780462
All New All Different Neo New Nu Male
>>
>>87780481
The most tolerable is probably Old Nu Male.
>>
>>87780481
limited-time-offer
one eighthundred five-five-five "NEW"
>>
>>87780525
From the timeline where only Old Nu Male, Hulk and She-Hulk existed. Old Nu Male was too much of a beta that She-Hulk wanted her own cousin more than him.
>>
Is something being "too mean" or "too gruesome" a legit criticism?

I can see if something was just being edgy or gory for the sake of being edgy or gory and being shitty because of it, but if a show/comic that's good just happens to have some blood and nigger jokes, people shouldn't be so bothered by it.

Imagine the kind of people who complains about stuff like that somehow ending up on 80's Slayer concert and right in the middle of the mosh pit
>>
>>87780640
It's not even just blood or crude jokes, it's as simple as calling someone an idiot.
>>
>>87780180
>nunu

>>87780342
>>87780640
the problem is that nowadays some people see everything short of a pastel-colored SoL cartoon as "edgy"
>>
>>87780875
>snusnu
>>
>>87780640
People here have considered slapstick mean spirited. Usually because one character has the advantage most episodes.
>>
Mean spirited is the creator/writers own dislikable personality seeping through.
>>
>>87780121
Have you considered that you might just like really mean-spirited shit?
Many people are just uncomfortable with irrationally hostile and contrarian behavior.
Often enough it's the tone, not so much what is done.
Family Guy often botches jokes because they seem to kinda get lost in sadistic fantasies and gory imagery.
They could be funny, but they find it more important to have innocents die and punch people while they are down.
Tom&Jerry jokes simply land better because they go for funny cartoon looks and trivialise the impact of violence.
If they instead bled and suffered they would be unfunny.
When the cat squashes the mouse and the mouse gets folded into a shape, that's funny.
When Peter squashes someone into a pulp while insulting them, that's just disturbing.
>>
>>87781543
I never said I like family guy, i'm just tired of even simply calling someone an idiot being "Meanspirited" or other unoffensive things.
>>
>>87781587
I haven't seen it used inflationarily really.
But it is really not so much about what happens as it is about how it happens.
The framing is terribly important.
If the viewer sees one character calling another an idiot, that is usually completely fine.
But if you get the impression it's really the writer calling the character an idiot and reveling in doing so, that is meamspirited.
>>
>>87781811
>meam
meam indeed
>>
This thread is mean-spirited. Not baiting
>>
>>87780121
SJWs.

It's always SJWs.
>>
>>87780383
Ed Edd, n Eddy could get mean spirited at times, like the episode where they made a cardboard city, and then lost all their money because Johnny was a cunt.
Seriously, that wasn't even a scam. They didn't trick anyone, it's basically an amusement park where entrance is free but you pay for the attractions.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.