[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do comic book companies just accept piracy as a large part of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Untitled-1.png (240KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
240KB, 640x480px
Do comic book companies just accept piracy as a large part of their business model?

With the huge emphasis on crossover and events, like, nobody can afford this shit. Do they just assume everyone waits to pick up trades of the stuff that was actually good or are they banking on the whales that are willing to fork out hundreds of dollars every month to support weekly deadpool or harley or whatever the flavour of the month is.
>>
>>87778956

>Do comic book companies just accept piracy as a large part of their business model?

Why would they need to? They just measure how much other comics are selling and that's their forecast for their own shit. Piracy is irrelevant.
>>
>>87779000

You know they're not just competing against other comic books right? their total sales are microscopic compared to basically every other medium.
>>
>>87779078
>You know they're not just competing against other comic books right?

Yes they are anon. And novels while they can sell in the millions, many sell in the 20,000's to 100,000's. Not everything is gangbusters.
>>
>>87779078

Who they're "competing against" is irrelevant. The real world is you look at sales other instances of the same product are making and you use that to estimate your own sales. It doesn't matter if there are a thousand people pirating for every one person who buys, you only look at the people who buy when you're predicting your sales in the first place.
>>
>>87779276

okay, but my question is, are those people who pirate it part of of the sales model?

Do they use piracy as a form of outreach or are they content to market to an ever shrinking niche until their eventual death

speaking mostly of marvel and DC here of course. indy comics will be around forever because they dont pull the same marketing stunt nonsense that makes piracy the only way to keep up on current events if you're poor as fuck.
>>
>>87779418

>okay, but my question is, are those people who pirate it part of of the sales model?

OK, but my answer is still no.

>ever shrinking

There's no evidence people who download comics from the internet were ever buying comics in the past.
>>
>>87778956
They know it's a niche market and the average customer throws down a lot of buck for shitty floppies every week.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were purposely propping up LCSs just for that reason. You used to just get comics of the stand in a drug store, now that's rare.
>>
>>87778956
>Do comic book companies just accept piracy as a large part of their business model?

They should if they don't already. Trying to fight piracy is a fool's errand. They may as well consider it a part of the cost of doing business. That goes for any company that produces entertainment. If you're a content producer, expect that some people will have what you've made for free.
>>
>>87779968
Basically.

And comic book piracy is a trillion times easier than piracy of literally any other media. It's just fucking jpegs. There's no way to fight it.

>>87779814
Newstands are nearly dead as well, nobody buys magazines at the drug store. There's no point because everyone gets their news either online or delivered to them every day, and the people who actually do read magazines have subscriptions.

They don't sell comics in drug stores and grocery stores anymore because drug stores and grocery stores aren't the same anymore. The drug store used to basically be the shopping center of a town, now you have Wal-Mart and the drug store is just for old people to get their pills and cheap ghetto assholes to buy shitty dollar store crap.

The entire reason comics went towards the direct market is because they didn't need the stores, people weren't just picking up comics on impulse for their kids, they were selling mostly to people who went to the store specifically to buy comics.
>>
>>87778956
Well yeah, I'm guessing so, since it's not risky to the big companies' (DC, Marvel, maybe Image too because of TWD being such a popular show) business to keep producing them just to have over 50% of readers illegally download them because they're making their main bank of other shit like the movies and merchandising. That's where their heads are.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.