[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.cbr.com/marvel-announces -creative-team-for-ameri

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 24

File: America_Chavez.png (99KB, 238x419px) Image search: [Google]
America_Chavez.png
99KB, 238x419px
http://www.cbr.com/marvel-announces-creative-team-for-america-chavez-series/

Why do they keep hiring YA writers?
>>
>>87772720
>Has a queer Trans Latino friend

They need to stop letting these kinds of people who are obsessed with race & gender writing comics. They're not interested in telling a good story, just using it as a soapbox for their social issues.
>>
File: image.jpg (21KB, 427x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21KB, 427x640px
>has never written comics before
>gets straight in the door with Marvel

Fuck this shit. Book will suck ass, but at least we get dat Quinones thicness
>>
File: sFn5w-b5.jpg (84KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
sFn5w-b5.jpg
84KB, 512x512px
>>87772720
Because othererwise you end up with people like Waid writing teenagers.

That said fuck me
>author of Juliet Takes a Breath, the queer, latina NA novel of yer dreams//purchasing link below//queer brown boi feminist sinvergüenza//BlackLivesMatter//
>>
>>87772771
I wish that they would stop saying it because it's like can't they just call them you know friends? Without mentioning traits like a D and D character sheet?

>My friends Ben is black, this give him disadvantage to rolls while in a country club.
>>
>>87772720
>Why do they keep hiring YA writers?
because since they wrote prose (aka "legit books") it looks more impressive than a regular comic book writer to normies and casuals, regardless of whether they're actually good or not
>>
>>87772837
Yeah but can we actually name you know a successful one at this point who made the transition? Like at all? Otherwise I feel like this is another burnout waiting to happen.
>>
>>87772836
>Brian has black kid, he knows all about black struggle in America
And that's how Bendis got to write X-Men.
>>
File: ohshit.jpg (73KB, 636x273px) Image search: [Google]
ohshit.jpg
73KB, 636x273px
> So she gets to punch into her Women in Power class; and she gets to punch into Tribal Ancestry and You 101. Just like rad classes that I would want to take in the university of my dreams.

Oh boy, this book is going to be hot garbage.
>>
File: 1453341707435.png (901KB, 690x460px) Image search: [Google]
1453341707435.png
901KB, 690x460px
>>87772913
>What I also found really helpful was that there’s a huge queer women and trans women comic book online community.
>And one of my friends is Mey Rude — she’s a queer trans Latina, and she writes about comics for Autostraddle. And so before anything was signed, I was like, ‘Hey, have you heard about this America Chavez character?’ And Mey was like, ‘Oh my God yes.’ And so through her I was able to get an idea of what fans of America would want, her stellar moments and where there was excitement around her character. And I was able to pull those thoughts into a first outline.”
>>
File: All-America-Comix-promo-600x911.jpg (121KB, 600x911px) Image search: [Google]
All-America-Comix-promo-600x911.jpg
121KB, 600x911px
>>87772913
>>
>>87772971
Wow Marvel are hacks ripping of another companies creation
>>
File: all-america_comix_promo.jpg (50KB, 768x433px) Image search: [Google]
all-america_comix_promo.jpg
50KB, 768x433px
>>87772720
What kind of petty shit is marvel doing by finally giving Chavez a solo after her original creators leave to Image?
>>
>have a multi verse hopping warrior that probably has more life experiences then the average person twice her age
>Send her to college where she can explore her sexuality or whatever which she hasn't had any trouble with since she first create

This is fucking stupid and squanders any potential the character had. At least Ewing still has her on Ultimates
>>
I haven't read the novel but this is better than some of the in-house writers I was afraid of to be honest. Guess we see how well she adapts to comics and how much she cares about making points vs. making plots. The novel is reviewed as very character-centric as far as I can see.
>>
File: 1469737638463.jpg (34KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1469737638463.jpg
34KB, 480x480px
>@QuirkyRican
>author of Juliet Takes a Breath, the queer, latina NA novel of yer dreams//purchasing link below//queer brown boi feminist sinvergüenza//BlackLivesMatter//
>>
At the art is gonna be good, so that's all that really matter.
>>
>>87772822
>You are a bruja
Tbf the intersection between outcast-as-witch and outcast-for-other-reasons is my own comic idea. Shit.
>>
File: 1442192660785.png (98KB, 199x267px) Image search: [Google]
1442192660785.png
98KB, 199x267px
>>87772720
>Another novelist

What about a comic writer for once?
>>
>they sent her all of young avengers but not fucking ultimates
Well i guess ewing's characterization is gonna be pissed right away.
>making it more about who she fucks and her vagina than about herself
>>
>>87773013

They were announced around the same time, Casey and Dragotta just beat them to the punch.
>>
>>87772940
Knowing the articles Mey writes, this will trainwreck. The college class stuff too, Jesus.
>>
>>87772822
I will guess this is a man that dress as a women, i am wrong ?
>>
Enjoy that shrinking market share, marlel.
>>
>>87772940
>Queer trans

so before she was female, she was a man, and now that she is a female she is "queer" which means she likes other women ?

I didnt know south park could predict the future.
>>
The exploring her own motives thing is exactly what I want from a MAC ongoing, but on a fucking college campus?

The only hope is interdimensional college is super fucking weird and not just the approved politics. I feel bad that they skipped Ewing too, he has done some set-up.
>>
>>87773074

That's a cis woman that's a butch. Go to /lgbt/ you'll learn a lot.
>>
>>87773134
But Xir say's Xe's a "queer brown boi feminist" boi still means male doesn't it?
>>
>>87773111

Queer doesn't necessarily mean gay, it can just be mean identifying outside the spectrum of heterosexuality. It can also be a term of endearment.
>>
>bring in key players like captain america
Which one? It could in a crazy direction if it hydra steve.
>and storm
If America fucks storm i will buy this comic.

With all the trans stuff i could see the futa thing coming true.
>>
>>87773074
You are, she's not a tranny
>>
File: tumblr_m7qm70WMzm1qk7xuzo1_500.jpg (141KB, 427x640px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m7qm70WMzm1qk7xuzo1_500.jpg
141KB, 427x640px
Joe Quinones can do cheesecake... but I'm 95% sure the sadist won't let him...
>>
>>87772971
Would rather buy this DESU.
>>
>>87773195
He did one of the very few Vampirella redesigns that actually looks good and is still clearly the character.
>>
>>87772822
Shitty writer for a shitty character. I'd be madder if it was a character wroth half a shit.

>>87772837
Most YA novels are worse written than comics. They are the lowest of the low.
>>
>>87773171
>it can just be mean identifying outside the spectrum of heterosexuality.
you are either fucking a women, fucking a man or not fucking at all, that how this things work.
>>
>>87772720
Marvel continues to do a bang up job of saving me money. My IRA gives its thanks.
>>
>>87773171
>>87773265
oh i forgot, about fucking a man AND a woman.
>>
>>87772971
This will almost certainly end up being better than Marvel's book, even though it's a ripoff. Especially since we're dealing with a tumblrina who's never written a comic before.
>>
>>87773265

>or not fucking at all

magic powers soon
>>
>>87773297
>we're dealing with a tumblrina

Speaking of their Tumblr's a treat to read as well.
>http://quirkyrican.tumblr.com/
>>
Why can't Marvel use minority characters without all this Tumblr talk? DC does it.
>>
>Let’s talk about the title: America. That seems to have taken on new meaning since Donald Trump was elected president. What did the title mean to you now, after the election?

GR: "I am still learning how to navigate this world, but to not include elements and emotions of what is going on would be a huge missed opportunity on my part — on our part. But it’s also a balance between connecting with people and alienating people. ‘Cause Latinos voted for Trump too. My family voted for Trump."
>>
>>87773382
That is a sensible approach!
>>
>>87773379
Marvel believes tumblr and people at cons are real customers despite no evidence of this and plenty of evidence to the contrary.
>>
>>87773379
Because they believe that twitter support translates to real money.
>>
>>87773444
Trips of truth

Who can't wait for this to be the next Mockingbird?
>>
File: Checkpool.png (232KB, 400x488px) Image search: [Google]
Checkpool.png
232KB, 400x488px
>>87773444
Guess we'll have to wait one more relaunch to see are their heads out of their asses.
>>
>>87772720

because people always bitch about how incestuous the industry is. All the people in comics have the same sort of experience, going back to like Stan and Jack kinda
>>
>>87773382
The full interview is so much better than the CBR one, shit.

http://www.refinery29.com/2016/11/130354/exclusive-marvel-america-chavez-series

>What were some of the things that excited fans about America?
>One is, the identities: Queer Latina. She’s also a positive presence and has these catch phrases, like ‘chico.’ And she has feelings for Kate [Bishop, a.k.a. Hawkeye]. But there are more questions about what her powers are, who she is and what is she interested in"

>"She was treated like a member of the team, but I always wondered what’s in it for her? So my thinking for this new book is that she’s finally asking herself that question: What’s in it for me? Why am I fighting with these people? What I want is to go to college and I want to start over, and I want to learn about myself and do this for myself. And so that is the big thing that I was thinking about. What’s more American than trying to go to college and trying to find yourself?"

>"She can travel to alternate universes — so there’s our earth, and then she can go to alternate versions of different earths. So she’s going to the same college but alternate versions of it to take all these wide variety of classes to get a big broad experience."

>"America is from this Utopian dimension where I think it was all women. [She has two moms who] seemingly sacrificed themselves to protect both that world and the whole multiverse, including ours. And when her moms left, America took this chance to venture out but now she can’t get back. She’s been cut off."

>"Am I worried about the trolls? No. I’m worried about not telling the story. I’m worried about little kids out there who wouldn’t get the story because we would be afraid of trolls. That’s ridiculous. And hey, honestly, I was an internet troll when I was 15 and I was scared of coming out."

>Who did you troll?
>"Lesbians."
>>
>>87773536
That's a lot of character stuff I've wanted to see on an America solo. And the writer seems less interested in soapboxing and more interested in tackling the character. Even the college thing sounds like it has potential. The Kate ship doesn't seem a sure thing. Are we actually going to get a considered approach?

Time will tell I guess, Marvel isn't something to feel confident in right now.
>>
>>87772817
Miss Puerto Rico?
>>
>>87773160

I think "boi" just means masculine presentation, I don't totally get it myself
>>
>>87773536
>>87773578
Also, kek:

>"Does she brush her teeth in her underwear?"
>>
>>87773536
>What’s more American than trying to go to college and trying to find yourself?"
For middle-class and up people sure.
I liked working class Chavez who didn't know or give a damn about pop culture stuff like Game of Thrones and was primarily concerned with heroism and food.
>>
>>87773205
Hell yeah
>>
>>87773618
I am not at all sold on the college thing but a couple of angles I see to it:

>America is new here and she's exposed to the mainstream of a new culture
>She's actually college age, like it's completely legitimate as an 18/19 year old she wants to go to fucking college
>How far is all this hardheaded stuff and bravado getting her?

This plays into a lot of what you imagine MAC's motives to be. I think she gets something out of playing cocky and shit-talking and playing brash, muscular heroism that isn't entirely altruistic. Partly defensive, partly "I can do this, easy" and "I get praised for this" and "I don't have to worry about anything else if I do this" and "My moms fucking died to do good, so I have to do good above everything else too"

I don't objective to any of this stuff being played around with, I'm iffy on college but less iffy on multidimensional nexus point college with the aim of rolling into some of this shit.
>>
>>87773722
Also, y'know, "What if I never go home? What if this has to be my home? What do I do?"

America is one of these characters who risks their actual character getting written-over by the need for soundbites and look-so-progressive scenes (like current Hellcat). No matter how tumblry it looks at first, an approach which wants to cut past that and examine the character is one I will try.
>>
>>87772720
You know I'm still waiting for my hood rat Latino representative in comics.
>>
>>87773786
Lobdell gave us Skin, unfortunately Austen killed him.
>>
File: Nyx.jpg (231KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Nyx.jpg
231KB, 667x1000px
>>87773786
They won't even give us the underage drop-out substance abuser raver man.
>>
>>87772720
Because they need new talent from somewhere and the vast majority of webcomic writers are terrible.
>>
>>87772881
China Melville

Pretty sure he wasn't YA, though.
>>
>>87774149
He's written YA. Fuck was Dial H good though.
>>
>>87774149
Scott Snyder too, but I can't think of someone who went from well YA to comics, actual novel yes.
>>
>>87774199
Ben Percy, not sure about Valentine.
>>
>>87774192
You can FEEL his awkwardness with the medkum, but after a few months he really got into the groove. The Open Window Man issue was a great interlude.
>>
>>87774351
Fuck yeah it was. Issue of the Year.
>>
>>87773536
>And she has feelings for Kate [Bishop, a.k.a. Hawkeye].
Not this shit again please. I don't give a damn about America being a lesbian but if they drag Kate to this circus, I'm gonna be enraged. She's straight, she identifies herself as straight, Gillen himself identifies her as straight, she likes to go at parties and pick boys to her apartment so they can insert their dicks on her vagina and throw them out in the morning, most important thing of all, America knows it and encourages her to do it. Maybe this is just bait and Kate will never appear but with everything she's saying on this interview and the way Marvel has been acting lately, I can't say I'm certain they won't allow her to destroy Kate's character forever.
>>
>>87773477
Whuh
>>
>>87774387
As much as I like queer characters it's rare nowadays to have a character say "It's not going to happen" hell I think it might be time to give "good guy" talk to queer characters about how sometimes people are straight and that is okay.
>>
>>87774387
Note it doesn't say it's a mutual sexual attraction m8.
>>
>>87774475
Doing a serious unrequited lust into "and that's okay" plot would be fine with me.
>>
The college stuff sounds like a metaphor to me to explain the how she's going about finding herself, she namechecks going around alternate realities. I'm hoping it's not literally Empire State University and more "I want to learn _______ so I'm going to Earth 45364"

>>87774387

Yeah that shipping is super annoying and a total misread of YA. I hate it. Everything else in this pitch sounds cool
>>
>>87774387
>things the fans are excited about
Are you denying shippers exist?
>>
>>87774503
Well it would be nice to see one where things go wrong for once, I've seen plenty of story of straights couples go wrong, hell it's a problem in the Gay community of never breaking up because your afraid you won't find someone else, I just think it's about time we have moving on stories.
>>
>>87773536
>has these catch phrases, like ‘chico.’

Makes me wonder if she actually speaks spanish or is just a brown gringo trying her best to appreciate her heritage. All this spanglish lingo is fucking obnoxious and the fact that she's emphasizing these catch phrases to make the character more "latino" tells me shes nothing but an american trying to re-create her image of "latinos" that she got from Telemundo or some shit.
>>
>>87772836
Because it's something unique that other comic don't have.

>>87772771
I don't get the social issue being soapboxed here other than people who are trans and latino exist. A character existing isn't tantamount to a writer being on a soapbox.
>>
>>87774720
So its good to have token characters that exist solely to be "gay" or "black"? Because thats all this is, a reference to something in order to appease an issue, virtue signaling at its best. We'll be constantly reminded of how she has feelings for someone or is a lesbian and then never actually get to that as a plot or dialogue or anything meaningful.
>>
>>87773046
>>87773046
Wow, anon you're so original and ahead of the curve. No one thought of this over a decade before you.
>>
>>87774790
I don't think it even started with Buffy, anon. Mine's is good though, no-one's done it exactly yet.
>>
>>87774789
>So its good to have token characters that exist solely to be "gay" or "black"?
You're assuming that she's going to be a token character

>We'll be constantly reminded of how she has feelings for someone or is a lesbian and then never actually get to that as a plot or dialogue or anything meaningful.

Oh cool, could you give me the winning Washington state lotto numbers for next week? Thanks anon!
>>
>>87774824
Then why are you bootybothered some dyke did it already in a YA book
>>
>>87774873
I'm not, I just thought it was kind of cringe as a motivational statement.
>>
>>87774895
>"this is so cringe because you did it before me and achieved enough success to write a Big 2 comic because of it"

so many flavors and you choose to be salty
>>
>>87774853
Well if your way of advertising your character is screaming that SHE'S GAY, AND LATINO AND SAYS CHICO EVERY 5 MINUTES COS CATCHPHRASE AND SHES SO LATINO! AYY CHICA, AM I RITE!? then I think its safe to assume this wont be anything but a token character because if that wasnt the case then there'd be other better characteristics to this character than the fact she's gay and latina.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong but Im not expecting to.
>>
>>87774963
Dude, did you even read that. The question was "What do you think fans get excited about?" The rest of the interview is a lot of talking about what the author sees as the questions to ask.

Marvel puts out a lot of shit these days but you gotta look for that affirming flame. Or >>87774929
>>
>>87773051
A lot of comic writers are former fan manchildren that bring waifu and "not muh" shit to the mix.

A lot of good comic writers started as novelist or as professional writers, Gaiman started his career outside comics and so did other writers, the shit ones usually don't have a good solid writing background.

That said YA novelist tend to be shit but I will give this person the benefit of the doubt.
>>
>>87774387
Plus Ewing introduced a girlfriend for America, Lisa, a paramedic
>>
>>87775044
Right, enjoy your compelling and meaningful character that manages to portray chicano culture like it is without it being her sole driving force because Marvel is known for being such a great source of socially conscientious material, ayayayayay chica!.
>>
>>87774628
>brown gringo
Most likely this

Heck the only Latina character I like is Aracely and she's less cliche and stereotypical than Chavez.
>>
>>87775261
Understanding that Marvel produce bad stuff like that but assessing this on its own merits is definitely better and more logical than assuming ranting about something that exists only conceptually at the moment.

It will probably be another whatever book, but there are signs maybe it won't be. It having a lesbian, latina character isn't in itself something to bitch about. MAC isn't even from this dimension, so having her be fake or tryhard when it came to latino shit here would fit.
>>
>>87775502
>but there are signs maybe it won't be

Like? Come on chica, make your case cos I got a telenovela to watch on Telemundo ayayayayay!.
>>
>>87775565
I think much of it's already covered in this thread and the interview man. You're not making repeating it with you an attractive prospect, so scroll up.
>>
>an american trying to re-create her image of "latinos" that she got from Telemundo or some shit.

My mother rages when she watches the news on Telemundo or Univision because their Spanish is really bad and they tend to anglicize a lot of words and not use certain words correctly.

>>87775261
>compelling and meaningful character that manages to portray chicano culture like it is without it being her sole driving force

That's just it fucking Chicanos in every one of their writings can only just talk about being Chicano to the point that if you read one of their books you've read them all.

It's always "Muh struggle" "the gringo doesn't understand me" "my abuelita makes me frijoles" "I feel the pain of that poor Mexican immigrant farmworker" "I'm making a shit uninformed opinion about Mexico, a country I've never been to" "The poor Mexican immigrant farmworker doesn't understand me" "Muh Aztlan" "La Raza" "my mother hit me with a chancla when I was a kid" "Mexico City hould have been called Aztlan" "Los Zeta!!" ughh

Plus the fucking Spanglish and I don't mean just bringing up the occasional word in Spanish but they tend to have their adjectives in one language and their verbs in another to the point it just reads like shit to someone who is fluent in both languages, it's awful.
>>
File: Gabby Rivera.jpg (54KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
Gabby Rivera.jpg
54KB, 640x426px
This is the new writer of America.
>>
>>87775833
so.....what is it?
>>
>>87772771
Identity politics are the fucking worst. I took a writing class focusing on comics as an elective and the teacher wanted me to add "my black identity" to the story. I just wanted to write a campy space opera. Why do people focus on identity so much now
>>
>>87772720

Why does Marvel keep pushing this shitty character?

>>87772971
>>87773013

Fuck it, I'm going to buy this and ignore the Chavez book to spite Marvel.
>>
>>87773536
/co/ confirmed for gay
>>
>>87772720

Because they're hoping to get a YA audience.

>Getting that email from Will was the first time a man had ever written to me about my book — let alone a white guy.

Specifically teenage girls, it seems.

> there’s a huge queer women and trans women comic book online community

Now we'll get to see if they buy comics.

>>87772817
How well did her book sell?
>>
Yasss
>>
>>87775653
Right, but you havent told me what YOU think makes this book worth anything, is it the dimension-hopping? The utopia dimension where men dont exist? What? Because to me it all sounds mediocre, like its gonna be your run of the mill comic except she's latina and lesbian and the tumblr crowd will love it.

What speaks to you?.
>>
She doesn't say Chico anymore and for all intents and purposes she isn't a Latina
>>
>>87775680
>My mother rages when she watches the news on Telemundo or Univision because their Spanish is really bad and they tend to anglicize a lot of words and not use certain words correctly

wtf is your mom the fucking spanish police? I don't hear anything that off when my mom watches univision.

You seem pretty buttbothered about chicanos though. Why do you think your arroz laced shit smells better than other people's?
>>
>>87773061
What sort of articles does she write?

Link to a good one.
>>
>>87776470
>for all intents and purposes she isn't a Latina
What's your reasoning for this?
>>
>>87775565
>>87775680
>>87774963

Why are you being such a fag?
>>
>>87774963
>"ayy i'm justified in pulling assumptions out of my ass because I said so lmao"

nice
>>
>>87776863
Because I hate token characters and Marvel's virtue signalling in order to stroke their own dicks as they pat each other's balls for being so "progressive".

I still wish to know why this book is any different, why is this book promising?.

>>87776889
Prove me wrong instead of lowering to my level of faggotry.
>>
>>87773195
Does he know that Dr. Mrs. The Monarch isn't a tranny? Because holy shit the faces are abhorrent. Like is that Vampirella a fucking potato nigger?
>>
Why do they keep trying to push this character, again?
She's not interesting. If anything, she's a half-assed transdimensional version of Korra with the same appeal as that bitch from Twilight.
>>
>>87773265
Anon, it's basically a way to say "not straight" without having to go into which flavor of gay you are, as I understand it.
>>
>>87777269
She's popular with a demographic they want to expand to.

See also: Moon Girl, Squirrel Girl
>>
More shit that Ewing gonna fix in his books.
>>
>>87772720
Aren't Latinos very conservative? I fail to see how a gay latina would be realistic.
>>
>>87772971
I'm just gonna go ahead and treat this as the real Ms. America book.
>>
>>87776823
She's an alien from another dimension.
>>
File: 1479274301371.jpg (8KB, 283x255px) Image search: [Google]
1479274301371.jpg
8KB, 283x255px
>What I also found really helpful was that there’s a huge queer women and trans women comic book online community.

better hope they pay money instead of looking at panels online
>>
>>87777497
>majority of latinos are conservative
>so it's impossible to exist a gay latino
C'mon, anon.
>>
>>87777497
It's written by an actual gay latina, so I feel the "not realistic" argument doesn't really work here.

>>87777668
This too. Thread has a lot of cunts trying to pretend they're being triggered by something other than a gay/brown character, gay/brown author.
>>
>>87777497
She's a magical space Lesbian from magical space Lesbian parents. Literally.
>>
>>87772771

As someone who actually gives a shit about social equality, I can't stand when this shit is shoehorned. I know it's difficult, but let that shit come naturally. Better yet, be creative about it
>>
>>87773382
>Latinos voted for Trump too. My family voted for Trump
I can understand why.
>>
>>87777497
see>>87773382
>Cause Latinos voted for Trump too. My family voted for Trump."
This author is conservative
>>
>>87777730
If shes an alien then why does it matter if the character is gay/brown? I dont understand the premise of this character, shes gay/brown but it doesnt matter because shes a dimension hopping alien. Its like a bunch of tacked on stuff with the catch that she can ignore some of that because shes alien.

Who is this character speaking to?
>>
>>87777908
>My family
>>
>>87777934
Character must speak to someone?
>>
The YA, particularly female market has become a big thing in comics, the same way manga was.

They don't buy monthlies but they buy trades at bookstores and Amazon. That's why Marvel keeps pushing these quirky dumb series despite low sales, they're meant to be bought in trade.

If you don't like it, who fucking cares, it's not supposed to be for you. There are plenty of other books for you to read. I don't see you bitching about kids books like the cartoon tie-ins existing, so shut the fuck up.

What you SHOULD be complaining about is that the books that actually are aimed at you (Avengers, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Captain America) all suck dick and use stupid ass sales gimmicks.

Mark Gruenwald:
>With Iron Man, for example, we had James Rhodes take the lead character's place, and we did it for two years—which I'm sure was about a year and a half longer than anybody thought we would do it. In Thor we had Beta Ray Bill take Thor's place for two or three issues. So, this is the sort of thing that has been done to shake up people before. You know, I'm responsible for it in Iron Man and I was editor of Thor at the time of Beta Ray Bill, and believe me it's a trick I know works because I've seen it work a number of times. It's just to get you noticed so that people who don't normally read it will say, "Oh, I heard something about this, let me read it and see." And with luck, folks will get hooked on the storyline.
>>
>>87777985
If theres no point to a character then what is the character but a collection of facts?
>>
>>87777934
>I dont understand the premise of this character, shes gay/brown but it doesnt matter because shes a dimension hopping alien.
Yep, the idea of America being identified with these groups but not actually being of these groups as they are on earth is one of the contradictions in her character, and something I'm hoping a solo will look at/acknowledge.

Reposted due to typo but IDK dude, feels like we have a feature/bug difference here. I sure as shit don't think a character has to make a point (particularly a political point) to exist either >>87778011. Still interested in this solo.
>>
>>87778011
What is a non character driven story?

And a character MUST speak to someone to have a point?
>>
>>87778002
>There are plenty of other books for you to read
Not at Marvel.
>>
>>87778116
OK. What kinda books you wanna read? Because anon listed the more conventional stuff in that post.
>>
>>87775833
Marvel is very progressive. They're the first major comic company to have a bridge troll for a writer.
>>
>>87777497
Wow you sure do have a Pulse on the Latino community, anon.
>>
>>87778054
>feels like we have a feature/bug difference here.

We do, you see contradictions I see a lack of focus, something that has so many things tacked on that it has no point except having those things tacked on just because.

She could green/asexual, black/non-human-sexual, mayonnaise/mayonnaise and it would not matter.
>>
>>87776823

Probably because she's from a another universe.
>>
>>87777031

This is the worst post ITT. Go find some of his interior work and educate yourself anon.
>>
>>87772720
> “What’s in it for me? Why am I fighting with these people? What I want is to go to college and I want to start over, and I want to learn about myself and do this for myself,”
> What I want is to go to college and I want to start over
Oh for fuck sake. This is gonna be Squirrel Girl all over again right? With a big dose of Mockingbird's preachiness on top of that. I'm out of this book. Fuck that.
>>
>>87778376
Don't worry. It will bomb and be cancelled in 8 issues. Only Squirrel Girl gets the curse of lasting forever.
>>
>>87778315
It only matters insofar as it's handled in execution but I feel your statement here, like, "it would not matter" - that's just fundamentally wrong, right?

Because if she's green she doesn't have that contradiction, so you can't write anything on that contradiction. You write about what her being green results in. If she's non-sexual or non-human-sexual, you can't write any human sexual relationship but you can write something about the impact of that instead. The choices obviously matter, because they dictate what you write.

A Miss America story shouldn't be the same as a Martian Manhunter story or whatever. They have alien refugee as part of their background, but that doesn't override everything else going on.

The contradictions to me are what's interesting about MAC. The stuff she's got going on in the background or beneath the surface. That plus an active protagonist (who should maybe be *less* active) and the promise of genuine cosmic stuff from Marvel is enough of a hook for a book for me.

I'm this anon >>87773722 >>87773778 if you really can't conjure up a single reason why someone would be interested in this book inside your own head.
>>
>>87772971
This looks way more interesting than what Marvel is giving us. And it's actually made by the guy that created Miss America.
I'll check out the first few issues and see if I like it. The art really catches my eyes.

Fuck Marvel btw.
>>
>>87774261
Percy is a YA author? He seems to manly for that
>>
File: dead-lands-cover.jpg (190KB, 649x998px) Image search: [Google]
dead-lands-cover.jpg
190KB, 649x998px
>>87778551
Da voice https://youtu.be/VSlBK3wJEBk https://youtu.be/ShyrnGuElQc
>>
>>87778551
The fuck does being manly have to do in opposition to YA fiction? You can't write YA books that are manly? Can't write YA books for boys? Writing isn't manly?
>>
>>87778394
>"it would not matter" - that's just fundamentally wrong, right?

In the end its a story of alienation, not belonging in a place while being similar to the place. A story of a real-life "chicano" is the same story as an illegal alien or MAC being a dimension hopping not-chicano, its all different degrees of realism to tell the same story of alienation. You like that? Good for you, I hate the fetishism of "gay/brown/queer/whatever" so some yankees can feel better about themselves and this, to me, seems to be going in that same direction.
>>
>>87778116
Literally what I said later in the post.
>>
>>87778619
I thought he wrote a mystery novel and a book about war or something
>>
>>87778635
>In the end its a story of alienation, not belonging in a place while being similar to the place
No, it could be *either* and the chicano thing is an angle you can use or not. Like that sentence means nothing. It's [thing[ over [other thing]? No actual reasoning there beyond "all stories have a common root or can be reduced to generalities" which is yeah, no shit.

Personally, I'm not a yankee and I understand where you're coming from on the soapbox thing. But also to me you're putting this in a specific box before you've ever even looked at it - which is fine, but you also seem to be getting pissy when other people don't do that or have reasons to consider it.
>>
>>87778714

Those aren't inherent manly anon.
>>
>>87778714
Both of those could also be YA anyway

>>87778757
War's pretty fuckin manly most of the time
>>
>>87772881
Genevieve Valentine wrote a pretty amazing Catwoman.
>>
>>87773536
>feelings for kate

HERE WE GO, THEY"RE FINALLY DOING IT.
>>
>>87772881
The problem is someone needs to sit these people down and show them how to pace a comic book as opposed to a novel. They're different WORLDS, as Chelsea Chase found out.
>>
>>87778315
So if it doesn't matter, why is it an issue if they're tacked on? Why should white be considered the default, vanilla race?

If you're making a new character, why not just say "here's their power, here's their backstory, here's their personality, and, oh, let's go ahead and make them black"? White being default is retarded and makes no sense. Obviously the reason is because it's human nature to identify first with people who look like you, so a white person's default is white, a black person's default is black and so on, but if a writer is aware of that inherent creative tendency, it makes more sense for them to go against the least creative option and consciously decide to make a character different.

And this is literally has been happening for decades at Marvel and DC as they've grown, new characters became most commonly black or female because it felt different and made your character stand out more.
>>
>>87778876
DC's workshop definitely seems like a good idea on that front, yeah. People don't necessarily naturally grasp comics scripting.
>>
>>87778877
>claims something makes no sense and then explains why it does
>>
>>87772720

They usually have VERY large fanbases and they want to bring that over to comics.

It doesn't usually work, sadly, as they don't much care for the monthly comic format and fall off pretty quickly or trade-wait...Assuming they have any interest in the medium at all.
>>
>>87774790
Yeah well Whedon is a useless SJW faggot and at least noone's going to investigate when shits like him get their fucking eggheads smashed by some good old boys.
>>
>>87778808
Not gonna happen, America has a girlfriend and Kate likes penises.
>>
>>87772720
>gay latina writer on gay latina character
oh Marvel...
>>
>>87772720
this is a trainwreck in the making
>>
File: trumpsoon.jpg (276KB, 1040x773px) Image search: [Google]
trumpsoon.jpg
276KB, 1040x773px
>>87772771
Don't worry, come next January we'll stop all this.
>>
>>87772720
Because DC keeps signing all of the good writers to exclusives. All Marvel has now is Waid and Bendis.
>>
>>87772971
Not only will this be a better book, but it will probably sell better too.
>>
>>87773477
Witnessed
>>
>>87778169
cheap shot, but I laughed.
>>
>>87778369
Holy shit it's mediocre. Thank you anon. You've proved yet again the /co/ is a bunch of fags who worship hacks.
>>
>>87774387
>I can't say I'm certain they won't allow her to destroy Kate's character forever.
They did that a long time ago, buddy.
>>
>>87777497
They tend to be conservative socially since they come from religious cultures. This leads to Republicans trying to court the latino vote under the mistaken beliefs that as "true conservatives" they'll come home to the Republican party.

Sadly for them, latinos also (like most people) love the fuck out of gibs and the Democrats are more than happy to hand them out.
>>
File: 346346.jpg (1MB, 1914x2344px) Image search: [Google]
346346.jpg
1MB, 1914x2344px
Will PC/SJW comics become irrelevant in the age of Trump?
>>
>>87777497
They have culturally conservative beliefs but still vote 100% Democrat because they get pandered to/benefits from them

Muslims are the same thing.
>>
>>87785442
didn't like 30% of Latinos vote for Trump and like 60% of Cubans
>>
>>87773358
>http://quirkyrican.tumblr.com/
>http://quirkyrican.tumblr.com/post/145283007498/from-chingona-crafts-autostraddlecamp

>Make America Mexico Again

That's enough for me to hate her with legendary fury and never even want this piece of shit story(oh come on, we know it's gonna suck since she's a piece of shit SJW) storytimed on /co/. The fact that she's all for illegals coming over and literally taking over America via La Raza shows to me that she supports the invasion of America by Mexico. She's seriously AGAINST America and it's people.

The fact that this person is even residing in America is a farce. If she likes Mexico so much, why doesn't she go over there? If she wants America to truly become a part of Mexico, and hates all of the "racism" and other stupid Isms and phobics in America, then why not go to the fabled paradise known as Mexico?

Oh, I know why, because her faggot dyke ass would be mince meat for the cartels. She'd be too undesirable to get raped, but she'd certainly get that head fucking chopped off. Fucking shitbag, I can't believe these fucking people. You don't HAVE to be a patriotic asshole, but you also don't have to be a traitor to your country and it's values.

Fucking hell, people like her are the reason why people voted for Trump. People like her are why this country is so divided nowadays.
>>
>>87785425
No, they'll actually be relevant as polemics against political policies instead of aimless fights against "oppressors" who are actually powerless folks like comic artists and actors.
>>
>>87775133
>Gaiman started his career outside comics and so did other writers
As a journalist, but his first work of fiction was a comic book.
>>
>>87775133
So did Meltzer and Coates. Where are their good comics?
>>
>>87786614

In other words, they'll be too busy attacking Trump and his supporters while leaving the rest of us alone? I hope that's the case. As long as one doesn't go and shout "MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN LULZ", we should be fine. Plus, I think they'll be too busy to worry about Trump than to cry about any sexualisation nonsense from them. (No, that'll be from the inevitable bible belt sadly.)
>>
>>87785425
Just can't. I've dropped all of Marvel except Daredevil, Doctor Strange, Spidey, and Deadpool. If it gets anymore PC/SJW I will drop marvel all together and just read old runs. I dropped current Hellblazer for the same reasons. Wally West being black doesn't really phase me. DC needs to stay the hell away from politics.
>>
File: aztecs40.gif (187KB, 365x525px) Image search: [Google]
aztecs40.gif
187KB, 365x525px
>>87786598
>Make America Mexico Again
HEART FOR THE HEART GOD!
>>
>>87772971
Preordering this to my LCS right now
Most of the reason is that I like the creative team, but spiting Marvel doesn't hurt
>>
>>87773536
>has these catch phrases, like ‘chico.’

THAT'S EVERY LATINO CHARACTER YOU FUCKING HACK
>>
>>87786598
do you need a safe space, friend?
>>
>>87773536
I think that the fact that every team she's joined was not classically 100% good should be brought up. Also she often seemed to be on board to keep the other teammates in check since she still feels she's ultimately a solo player. This shit should be more defining than lusting after Kate Bishop desu
>>
>>87785425
>Gwenpool

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!
>>
>>87778787
Stop lying, anon. That was just a generic crime comic under a recognizable brand.
>>
>>87788752
That's a fair point, yeah. It was Civil War 2 flak but if you wanna look at the Ultimates the uh, ultimate spin was she was pretty much on the team to fight them when it (as she assumed it would) went wrong.
>>
>>87788685
Not him but the make america México again is retarded, they loss Texas, get over.
>>
>>87772971
>>87772940

Please, God-Emperor Trump. Deliver us from evil.

May your wall keep the SJWs out, now and forever, amen.
>>
>>87773941

Why is she sucking on a pacifier? Is that supposed to be ironic? I mean, she already looks like white trash.
>>
>>87789776
Ravers used to wear pacifiers. I don't know if they still do. It was a drug culture symbol thing, supposed to stop you grinding your teeth.
>>
>>87789867

The only thing I remember about this was the insanely hot gothic-lolita X-23. I mean, damn. Goth Laura had no excuse being that hot.
>>
>>87789776
>goes to a rave 0 times
>>
>>87789921
Marvel never even did a teen raver x goth lesbian sex scene, huh. Such bigots.
>>
>I was super-excited. Getting that email from Will was the first time a man had ever written to me about my book — let alone a white guy.

And it'll be the last time, too.
>>
File: pence_zap_fags.jpg (217KB, 1402x1357px) Image search: [Google]
pence_zap_fags.jpg
217KB, 1402x1357px
>>87786614
Current gen Marvel writers aren't capable of any nuanced political critique. I'm looking forward to Mike Pence as Electro, though.
>>
>>87772771
>Has a queer Trans Latino friend

I know a Mexican guy, too. Where's my gig at Marvel?
>>
>>87790455
>literally electrocute

I love the hyperbole of Mike "make gays past tense" Pence
>>
File: pence_x-men.png (233KB, 582x455px) Image search: [Google]
pence_x-men.png
233KB, 582x455px
>>87790625
What's his name again?
>>
>>87790837
You mean Mike "put the gays behind the fence" Pence?

>X-Men
>not mutants
I hate normies
>>
>>87790837
Mike "Homoshima and Fagasaki" Pence
Mike "Blast The Gays With Tesla Rays" Pence
Mike "No Tomorrah for Gomorrah" Pence
>>
>>87790625
It's not hyperbole, the man will knowingly keep you away from your dying wife/husband because... fuck I don't know man. I don't know why religion needs to be in government.
>>
>>87791029
>>>/tumblr/

Because religion and government were one in the same not too long ago. Also religion influences many people's morals and choices, you can't really regulate that.
>>
>>87791029
>the man will knowingly keep you away from your dying wife/husband

[Citation Needed]
>>
>>87791168
>Because religion and government were one in the same not too long ago
When? Even medieval monarchs generally liked to keep the power of the church in temporal affairs under control. And that was in a time when the vast majority of people sincerely believed, and in a harsher church.

I don't really get why we're laughing about fags dying desu. My brother is a fag.
>>
No one here realizes, it is now the start of the era of the "Red Sun".

Kid can be cruel /co/, and you must always be very in touch with your inner child.
>>
>>87775133
t. elitist
>>
>>87791197
http://time.com/4576513/mike-pences-hateful-laws/
It was a whole court case and everything.

I don't think you understand or appreciate the many, many benefits of marriage. Your wife could be dying of cancer and Mike Pence will be all, "Nah because like... I don't like it..."
>>
>>87772940
>Were going to go to these extreme minorities in their echo chambers to get an idea of what comic fans want.

>Why are our books failing? I blame patriarchy.
>>
>>87791223
>Even medieval monarchs generally liked to keep the power of the church in temporal affairs under control.

Not really until the Reformation.
>>
File: kaiokek.jpg (20KB, 292x257px) Image search: [Google]
kaiokek.jpg
20KB, 292x257px
>>87786598
>Make America Mexico again
>>
idk but cecil castelucci is doing a great job in his book for the young animal imprint
>>
>>87791408
>his book
It's a woman, anon. I think Shade is an all-woman book even.
>>
>>87791223
>Even medieval monarchs generally liked to keep the power of the church in temporal affairs under control.

For administrative duties, yes. But the Church was the moral authority and kept the secular order in check.
>>
So this will take the same path as Mockingbird and the same excuses "I'm not really a comic writer, fuck you haters."
>>
>>87791425
And "in check" being at least half "bent to the Church's morality and benefit, especially by the acquisition of land and wealth via marriage and inheritance laws."
>>
>>87791636
Yes? And? Those lands were generally used for the public good. The Church kept secular leaders from abusing their power.
>>
>>87791694
It's pretty disingenuous to put it that way given all the greedy and abusive Popes, Antipopes, and the direct enrichment of the Church at the expense of everyone else.

But hey, most people don't actually realize that marriage wasn't a sacrament until 1100-1200, in part as an attempt to get the nobility's more fluid treatment of marriage (which was both to the benefit and disadvantage of women, just in different ways) under Church control.
>>
>>87774720
it's not unique though, every one has been doing it since the 80s.
>>
>>87772817
who are

>brad meltzer
>kevin smith
>ta-nehisi coates

hmm, i wonder why this is the only one that sparks your outrage
>>
>>87791223
>When? Even medieval monarchs generally liked to keep the power of the church in temporal affairs under control. And that was in a time when the vast majority of people sincerely believed, and in a harsher church.
Places like Ireland, Poland, Croatia and even Russia are almost fucking theocracies. In 2016. Let's not even talk about the middle east.

Religion still has an inordinate amount of influence on governments around the world. This didn't suddenly come out of nowhere In the middle ages fucking with the Church was a sure way to get your ass deposed.
>>
>>87792724
Any issue of Identity Crisis is better than what Marvel is churning out nowadays.
>>
>>87772720
I wanna oil up her thighs and stick my dick between them
>>
>>87792724
>lists hated writers
>"Why aren't you mad at these also-hated writers?"
>>
>>87793445
Ayyy chico

>>87793471
>Meltzer
>hated
Nigga pls
>>
>>87772971
>Casey and Dragotta on a ripoff book rather than the real deal
worst year of the worst timeline
>>
>>87794118
>ripoff
Nah man, the best book is never a ripoff.
>>
>>87788554
Same
>>
>>87786598
That is so stupid, why do Chicanos think like this? Mexican immigrants living in the US including the ILLEGAL ones don't want this to happen.
>>
>>87797384
Worst is that she's not a Chicana she's Puerto Rican and she's commenting about things she has no knowledge about.
>>
>>87792117
>It's pretty disingenuous to put it that way given all the greedy and abusive Popes,

You mean the ones the Protestants always made seem worse then they really were in propaganda that's still being recycled today?

>and the direct enrichment of the Church at the expense of everyone else.

You mean the shared lands that were used to the benefit of the peasantry until seized by the nobility during the Reformation?

Marriage was named a sacrament to counter the influence of the Cathars who taught that marriage and childbirth were evil.
>>
>>87791029
Don't ever insult the name of Mike "Turning Fruits Into Vegetables" Pence ever again or I swear to God I will electrocute the shit out of you.
>>
>>87772720
nah
>>
>>87774628
Such truth, and the only people who keep creating this image of the "latino" are like you said brown gringos attempting to recreate the identity of their culture by exactly using what they see in Univision as well.
>>
>>87791408
she's written multiple graphic novels before
>>
>>87773536
Haha. Holy Shit, Marvel is terrible.
>>
>>87774628
Good Lord. Fuck Univision.
>>
>>87776772
Of course fucking chicanos will defend a fucking chicano channel that butchers spanish. Seriously, fuck off and die.
>>
>>87786726
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tdu4uKSZ3M
Thread posts: 240
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.