[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it that renowned western cartoon creators are tossed and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

Why is it that renowned western cartoon creators are tossed and turned like garbage in the western animation industry? People like Gennedy and McCracken constantly have their pitches rejected, creations muddled or outright cancelled. Is there no respect for them or their work? Will the same happen to Rebecca Sugar 10 years from now?

You'd never see creators like Anno, Miyazaki, Tomino or Watanabe treated like this across the sea.

tldr; I discovered SBT and now I'm butthurt that shows with actual animation and character designs that aren't noodle limbed bulbous bullshit are becoming a myth.
>>
The eastern animation industry enslaves it's creators. Creators are not treated well anywhere
>>
American animators are ultimately employed by giant media companies who care about product more than content. Consider too, that Americans consider cartoons to be mostly for kids (because that is who the companies direct their marketing to) and you have "creators" working in a field where they produce content, not actually "create". So the industry stagnates as things become more formulaic. At the same time, the rise of computer animation has been the death knell of talented animators, who are made redundant by software such as MAYA.

Also, as a reminder, Japanese animators and artists usually hate what they do for similar reasons and there is a lot more anime than cartoons. Miyazaki pretty much said so in the documentary about Studio Ghibli.

This is actually true in American comic books too. Consider that most American creators worship Jack Kirby, and he died more or less penniless. The creators of Superman had pity cast on them by DC and were paid a pittance to live on, instead of the millions one could argue they were rightly owed.

Long story short, money is the reason.
>>
Your statement makes me think you are trying to pass off an opinion as fact, BTW OP. I suggest you read a few books about the history of comics or Eastern or Western animation and you'll see those fields are now and always has been exploitative. The creators who make millions are the entrepreneurs, like Todd McFarlane in the 90s, although public opinion shifts quickly and even very successful ventures stagnate and eventually implode.
>>
>>87727489
>You'd never see creators like Anno

Didn't Anno had to sell his house to finish a show?
>>
>>87728030
Can creativity and profit ever peacefully coexist?
>>
File: 1478914682269.jpg (206KB, 1100x689px) Image search: [Google]
1478914682269.jpg
206KB, 1100x689px
>>87728148
Reaniscence and ancient Greece.

Just respect and pay us artists a lot.
>>
>>87728148
They are peacefully co-existing right now (they certainly aren't "at war"), just in a situation where money is by far the more dominant of the two.
The fact is almost everything comes down to matters of practicality and most matters of practicality default to money at some point because currency is about the most practical thing there is.
>>
>>87728201
>Reaniscence
Actually, art was treated more of as a genuine profession back then then it was today.
Basically lots of people wanted famous paintings or Bible scenes for their houses, so they'd just commission a painter to replicate them a lot of the time.

So long as said artist could get his work done on time he could make a fairly decent living wage.
>>
File: hideki-anno-in-shirobako.jpg (34KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
hideki-anno-in-shirobako.jpg
34KB, 600x315px
Meta cartoon about animators when?
>>
>>87728148
I would say no.

Profit and merchandising are built in to the system of cartoons, comics, and genre movies.

As long as giant media corporations are allowed by lawmakers to manipulate intellectual property and copyright laws to their liking, the cycle of exploitation will continue.
>>
>>87727489
Maybe because they new works are not good enouh?

Also post prime Tomino and Watanabe works are shit.
>>
>>87728271
Actually, paintings, mosaics, and frescoes of Biblical scenes were expensive to produce (chiefly due to the exotic colors used in the pigments, like blue) and used by wealthy families and the Church to display their wealth to the world, or to ingratiate the public to a wealthy patron who just built a new church in the middle of town.

Biblical scenes were the only ones allowed in Western art, which was mostly controlled by the Catholic Church until the early 1400s, when a new wave of private patronism of the arts inspired waves of "professional artists" who had to innovate and literally create new and exciting techniques to land steady paying gigs. For instance, one of the best jobs an artist could hope for in the Renaissance would be to be employed full time by royalty or nobility as their 'court artist'. The Renaissance created the position of "professional artist", it did not bolster it.
>>
>>87728148
>can creativity and profit co exist.
It can, but never in any artistic medium.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.