[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I always see memes saying Cartoon Network "died" in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

I always see memes saying Cartoon Network "died" in 2004, and my question is "Why though?". CN City began in 2004, and that's widely considered to be their greatest era, with great shows like Code lyoko, Squirrel boy, and Ozzy & Drix. So how could CN die in the year where they began their greatest era?

If anything, I'd peg CN as dying in 2007. After the Boston Bomb Mooninite Scare incident in February of that year, Stuart snyder took over. CN City ended, the beloved Fridays block was replaced the poor Fried Dynamite, Toonami was cancelled, the CN Real block was established, etc.

So please stop saying "RIP Cartoon network 1992-2004". Really, it's "RIP Cartoon Network 1992-2007"
>>
File: 1477588238969.jpg (44KB, 542x675px) Image search: [Google]
1477588238969.jpg
44KB, 542x675px
>mfw sifting through all this shitty cn nostalgia videos full of "i was born in the wrong generation!" comments
>>
>>87717160
>CN City
>Shitty

No. The only shitty years for CN were 2007-2009. Other than that they've been a pretty consistent, high-quality channel.
>>
>>87717109
Saying CN died in 2004 is the most retarded thing ever, because in 2005 CN had this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEdhQQzoZx4

And Justice League was still going for two years.
The only people who think CN didn't have good stuff in those years are part of the problem that it doesn't have that good stuff anymore.
>>
>>87717109
I find it notable that if you only looked at the shows from the two main studios (CN Studios and WB TV animation), you wouldn't really tell that 07-10 was a dark time in the channel's history.
>>
File: CN_City.jpg (48KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
CN_City.jpg
48KB, 640x480px
bump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_1G0iWgGis
>>
>>87717109
The only reason people don't like this period is because they were raised on original CN and they were in high school at this point and were too cool for cartoons. Then when Adventure Time and Regular Show came out they were in college and basically the target audience so they liked CN again. The shows CN was putting out in the late 00s were not significantly better or worse than the stuff they had before that. Besides Ben 10 is awesome.
>>
>>87717109
>greatest era
>with great shows like Code lyoko, Squirrel boy, and Ozzy & Drix

This is 3/10 bait. Here's your (You).
>>
>>87718112
I'd CN in the mid 00s(2004-2006) was still good, but CN in the late 00s(2007-2009) had a lot more bad shit going on
>>
>>87718116
Ozzy and Drix was really good
>>
>>87717109
pathetic bait, OP. here's your (OP).
>>
>>87717109
>CN City began in 2004, and that's widely considered to be their greatest era, with great shows like Code lyoko, Squirrel boy, and Ozzy & Drix.
Is this a troll? All of those were bad shows. There was still SOME good stuff that was made in that period (Billy & Mandy, KND, Megas, JL/JLU, arguably Teen Titans) but most of the classic shows were gone at that point. The quality became much more sketchy overall (the weaker school stuff from EEnE for instance) and its obvious that none of the talent was there anymore.

I'd also argue that Toonami going like it did helped to kill things to. Really, the entire "golden era" is kind of a nostalgia goggles thing from millennials in their late 20s/early 30s but that whole era was kind of a big milestone for people of that age. Cartoon Network was willing to try out all kinds of new ideas for shows, seemed very creator driven and helped really explode anime in popularity. Not to mention the big chance they took on something like Adult Swim. Basically killing Toonami by moving it to weeknights and replacing it with the bland and identityless Miguzi block (which failed fairly quickly) was effectively the moment where old CN died.

Afterwards it just became a more sterile, pale imitation of what it had been over the previous 7 or so years: you sure as shit were never going to get a show like SGC2C out of post-2004 CN.
>>
>>87717196
A death doesn't have to be sudden murder. It can be a slow, terminal illness. 2004 didn't end and overnight CN went to shit. It was a process though within two years the quality drop was pretty apparent.
>>
>>87718331
Except for those two years still having some of CN's best cartoons, as shown.
>>
>>87718242
"arguably teen titans"
And you try to call someone else a troll.
>>
>>87718215
Not even b8, but cute meme kiddo.
>>
>>87718414
Like? Fosters was pretty boring and I never much cared for Ben 10. Those are really the only big post-2004 shows I can think of.
>>
>>87718438
Teen Titans was horrifically incosistent. It could be really good one episode and then the next could be really bad. It was a problem that existed well up until the show ended (great finale to the Brotherhood of Evil stuff followed by arguably one of the worst episodes of the entire series followed by Titans in Tokyo which, while not spectacular, was enjoyable). You really never quite new which version of the show you were getting that week.

Teen Titans wasn't complete shit but it was fairly middle of the road and suffered from airing mostly at the same time as JL/JLU which cast a pretty large shadow in terms of quality superhero cartoons.
>>
>>87717109
>Code lyoko
Not CN production, even remotely
>>
File: Miguzi03.jpg (43KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
Miguzi03.jpg
43KB, 720x480px
>>87718242

>Miguzi

I was going to bring this up. "Toonami for kids" was a terrible idea. The tiniest iota of charm came only from the artwork during the bumps. That artist was a hero.
>>
>>87718553
But it aired on CN. And most people who aren't autistic don't give a shit about the production company, so they'll say it's a CN show if you asked them.

Just like The Flintstones and Top Cat are CN shows, to those who don't have autism.
>>
>>87718540
The shift of good and bad episodes is nowhere near as back and forth as you're trying to make it look. The good greatly outnumbers the bad, and what was 'bad' was really just meh.
Also not helping your point at all by trying to call the end of the Brotherhood of Evil episode one of the better episodes. That was disappointing and rushed as fuck.
>>
>>87718475
Camp Lazlo was pretty big at the time. I remember a lot of people talking about it at the time.
>>
>>87718540
Certainly correct about Justice League casting a large shadow though.
Nothing else has really compared to JL/JLU except EMH since the DCAU as we knew it ended.
>>
>>87717109
The end is mainly attributed to Snyder's run.
Once he started as the CN head, things simply went down the shitter, and still hasn't been able to recover ever since.
>>
I miss CN City.
>>
>>87718242
>The quality became much more sketchy overall (the weaker school stuff from EEnE for instance) and its obvious that none of the talent was there anymore.
I disagree. In mid 2000s CN, you still had awesome shows like Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi and Camp Lazlo
>>
File: 1333994876269.jpg (3KB, 160x130px) Image search: [Google]
1333994876269.jpg
3KB, 160x130px
>with great shows like Code lyoko, Squirrel boy, and Ozzy & Drix.
>Code Lyoko
>Squirrel boy
>Ozzy & Drix
>Great shows

>Code Lyoko, Squirrel Boy, Ozzy & Drix are great show
>He really thinks this
>He seriously thinks these are great shows
>>
>>87718690
Ozzy & Drix wasn't a great show but it was a really good one
>>
>>87718666
Puffy AmiYumi and Camp Lazlo (as well as Foster's) were my favorite CN shows.
>>
>>87718587
Or someone just doesn't live in US. Or doesn't watch TV
>Just like The Flintstones and Top Cat are CN shows, to those who don't have autism.
Never mind that predate CN by few decades, right?
>>
>>87718774
Your average Joe doesn't care about that.

I've seen many people on Facebook who think Tom & Jerry is a 90s cartoon, because they saw it in the 90s.
>>
>>87718832
Wasn't Tom and Jerry Kids from the 90s?
Wouldn't that make it a 90s Tom and Jerry cartoon?

Wouldn't make it any less stupid because Tom and Jerry Kids was nothing compared to the classic, but eh.
>>
>>87718774
>to those who don't have autism.
I don't think you qualify
>>
>>87718540
It's more like the show would be good and bad in the same episode. All the anime inspired humor was maximum cringe. There were moments where a good show shone through which made it more frustrating.
>>
>>87718561
Yeah, part of what made Toonami work was that it was something very different. You had anime (which, of course, Toonami helped blow up in popularity), post-Moltar you had the dark and cold visual style of the bumpers combined with the ambient and drum 'n bass soundtrack. The whole thing seemed very futuristic and cool.

Having bright, colorful cartoon characters engage in generic cartoon antics didn't really work. Miguzi wasn't cool so Miguzi died a quick death.
>>
Cartoon Network was only ever good between 1992 and 1994

Everything else was CalArts shit, and if you like it, you are an SJW cuck!
>>
>>87719166
What about Camp Lazlo? I thought that show was awesome. It had

>fleshed out and lovable characters
>a great atmosphere
>hilarious humor
>the creator made Rocko
>memorable plots
>>
>>87717109
I always assumed that Cartoon Network died because people were getting fed up with their cable company's bullshit and watched their shows on the internet. Toonami got killed for the same reason: the average viewer isn't going to wait once a week to watch Naruto when they can get it instantly online.
>>
>>87718666
Honestly I thought those shows were really middling. Not awful but resoundingly meh

Maybe I thought I was too cool for cartoons at the time but yeah
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.