[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why? >former cape talents >create edgy tv pilots >less

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: FLymyoRc_400x400.jpg (8KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
FLymyoRc_400x400.jpg
8KB, 400x400px
why?

>former cape talents
>create edgy tv pilots
>less inspired story
>less iconic artwork
>mediocre in comparison
>>
>>87715881
I heard it all kinda fell apart over bickering between the talent. Great artists and writers, but shitty businessmen.
>>
You're forgetting

>finally gave artists and writers full creative control and ownership (most of the time).
>allowed people with actual talent to make good books.
>eventually became a place for all kinds of interesting stories to be published instead of grimderp edgy shit.

Spawn and Savage Dragon may be shit, but there were some gems even in the early days.
>>
They've done well by Brubaker/Phillips
>>
>>87716585
>Savage Dragon
Wut
>>
>>87716585

Spawn is not shit.
It's very very good.
>>
File: savage-dragon-28-pg-15.jpg (390KB, 514x800px) Image search: [Google]
savage-dragon-28-pg-15.jpg
390KB, 514x800px
I like what they put out though. Right now they're the guys who put out sci-fi, fantasy, crime and weird shit. Them and Dark Horse. Marvel & DC are still just putting out capes that make slight changes towards what's hip and happening at the time.

>>87716585
>Savage Dragon
>Shit

I'll concede that when he went full multi-verse identity confusion it was a fucking mess, but Savage Dragon is still a fun read and had a lot of fun moments
>>
>>87717377
what would you recommend anon, i'm new to comics and currently have doom patrol, mother panic, batman beyond, red hood, and aliens:defiance on my pull list. I love horror movies and horror manga, never read anything western in comic book form..
>>
>>87715926
McFarlane seems to be a pretty savvy businessman, maybe too much. I think Liefeld was the only one who really didn't know what he was doing which is why his line suffered the worst when the market crashed.
>>
>>87717466
black science
seven to eternity

spider-man/deadpool

new superman

old man logan
>>
>>87717466
kill or be killed

reborn by millar
>>
>>87717377
How are The Maxx comics? I've only seen the MTV show.
>>
>>87717568
Really good. I haven't seen the show so I cant' comment on how similar it is but the comics are 90's eXtreme but really smart and surreal.
>>
>>87717568
Really good. You should certainly give them a read.
>>
File: cerebus_vs_cirin.jpg (216KB, 660x914px) Image search: [Google]
cerebus_vs_cirin.jpg
216KB, 660x914px
>>87717466
I've been where you are now, Anon. I got back into western comics after highschool and copious amounts of manga and anime. It's a good breather and puts a perspective on differing themes. Most people initially start off with Marvel and DC. Spider-Man, Batman, Deadpool, entertaining enough but a lot of characters have a history of stories to them that can be overwhelming. Look at titles that call out to you. Once you get past the big two you'll find there are quite a few other publishers and independants. These are just some recommendations:

Image:
>The Autumnlands (Kurt Busiek)
>Chew
>East of West (Jonathan Hickman)
>Mage: The Hero Discovered & The Hero Denied (Matt Wagner)
>Starlight (Mark Millar)

Dark Horse
>Alien & Predator titles (Read Stronghold for motherfucking Jerry)
>Grendel (Matt Wagner)
>Usagi Yojimbo (Stan Sakai)

Vertigo (DC's more adult line)
>The Sandman (Niel Gaiman)
>Swamp Thing (Alan Moore)

European
>Blacksad
>Beautiful Darkness

News paper funnies
>Calvin & Hobbes
>Foxtrot
>The Farside

Cerebus the Aardvark
>>
>>87717523
>>87717538
>>87717725
thanks anons, will look for a few of these next time i go to the comic store
>>
>>87717725
Jaka's story still always gets me.
>>
>>87717466
Sandman by by Neil Gaiman and Swamp Thing by Alan Moore are excellent horror comics.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.