[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spider-Man's strength is by far the dumbest aspect of the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_4790.jpg (175KB, 600x918px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4790.jpg
175KB, 600x918px
Spider-Man's strength is by far the dumbest aspect of the character. He's a street-level hero. Brawls and fist fights are what makes this particular archetype interesting. The fact that he can throw a car or punch a hole in the chest of most of his threats completely ruins the character. You lose all sense of suspense when reading his stories. Imagine if daredevil just ripped the arms off whatever group of thugs he's fighting.
This is why Spider-Man isn't popular anymore.
>>
no one cares about power levels nerd

also one of his biggest enemies is a dude with a lot of metal arms
>>
>>87686572
Autismal overload.
>>
>>87686572
>Suspense

9/10 times the hero wins, and even when they lose they just come back later and win.

What the fuck kind of autistic moron actually sees the hero getting beat up and thinks "oh my god this is great storytelling I wonder if he'll win".
>>
>>87686572
I like that he has super strength but not superman level strength. The subway car lift is like one of his top feats. I'm fine with it.
>>
It is psychosomatic. When in stress can lift way above what he usually does.
>>
>>87686572
He's really not that strong though. Like dude's not even a class 100 for Marvel, he isn't in Thor or Hulk's weightclass so I don't see your problem here.
>>
>>87686572
That's what I hate so much about so many Spidey writers after the 80s. They magically made major threats like Scorpion, Rhino, Sandman, and the like seem like jokes. Peter stopped relying on his wits and could just beat people up.

Spider-Man is a character whose 616 counterpart needed a legit ending. A huge aspect of him was his potential in both intelligence and untapped power. After you show that stuff, it becomes stagnant. Now it's been almost 20 years of writers having no idea what to do with him or his foes.
>>
>>87688442
Make him shoot webbing out of his nipples.
>>
>>87686572
You are an idiot op.
>>
>>87686572
The suspense of Spider-man was never "could he beat the villain?" The suspense was "could he beat his lousy life"
>>
>>87686572
Kill yourself op he fights dudes like lizard, rhino, electro, and carnage etc and some of the best spidey moments are when he stops holding back.
>>
>>87686572
>This thing that I don't like about this character that he's always had is the reason the most successful single comic character of 35 of the last 50 years isn't popular anymore

That frame there is about 20 years old, numbnuts. And at that point, Spider-Man was unquestionably the best selling single character in comics. Batman wasn't even close.
>>
>this is why spider man isn't popular anymore
>muh power level TOO HIGH

Autismo
>>
>>87690103
Then why did his last two movies utterly fail, fuckface?
>>
>>87691122
Sony
>>
>>87691168
Doesn't matter. He's "unquestionably the best selling single character in comics."
>>
>OP gets called a fucking idiot, then rages: The Thread
>>
You could argue that the fact that he has superstrength but chooses not to use it makes him a far more complex character.

also, you're a faggot.
watching any character wielding stupidly enourmous power every once in a while is ___fun___
>>
Half the suspense is if Spider-Man's gonna keep pulling his punches or go autist rage and end up accidentally killing a fucker by punching his head off
>>
>>87692811
>>87692298
>SpOck when he realizes Peter's been holding back all this time and realized Spider-Man could have flattened him
>>
>>87692811
Has this ever happened? I'm pretty sure this happened.
>>
>>87692858
The closest I can think of is Mysterio trying to trick him into thinking he killed a man to throw him off his game.
>>
File: 1465248992649.jpg (84KB, 1146x1148px) Image search: [Google]
1465248992649.jpg
84KB, 1146x1148px
yeah, he shouldn't even be that strong. Spiders in real life have an exoskeleton which Peter doesn't have, so him having superhuman strength doesn't make sense.
>>
>>87686572
Spider-Man isn't popular anymore because his current comics are shit and the movies he's in are mediocre.
>>
>>87689204
This
>>
>>87692932
Fucking harsh.
>>
>>87692932
>isn't reading Spider- Man/Deadpool

I'm not trying to apologize for all the shit Marvel is doing with their #1 franchise, but seriously, give that comic a go
>>
I think a run where Spider-man loses his strength but retains all this other powers would be very interesting.
>>
>>87686572
>Spider-Man's strength is by far the dumbest aspect of the character
No, that would be Spider-Sense.
>>
File: 5839576285999.gif (1MB, 245x140px) Image search: [Google]
5839576285999.gif
1MB, 245x140px
>>87693048
So would his Superhuman durability be gone as well?
>>
>>87693048
A 8 vs 1 fight would look dumb if done in the netflix style with spiderman's costume. He'd have to be wearing some scarlet spider shit.
>>
>>87693048
>Lose super strength
>Rips arms off trying to swing

>>87693105
Thanks asshole, now I want a Netflix adaptation of Kaine's 2012 run and I know that won't ever happen.
>>
>>87693093
Yeah. Scale him down to Daredevil level basically.
>>
>>87689204
But there's no suspense there, we all know the answer is no
>>
File: 1471736274108.jpg (823KB, 1280x1538px) Image search: [Google]
1471736274108.jpg
823KB, 1280x1538px
Spider-Man was about the human condition, not about some fuckfest of what superpowered jackoff he was going to fight next.

Stories like "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" or the arc where Chameleon had tricked Peter into believing his parents were alive were top-tier shit because they're stories about being human. Something that was unique to his character was how he lived such an ordinary life people could understand.

>I beat Molten Man
>But damn, I didn't make it to my graduation!

It isn't some Gary Stu shit where he wins all the time. Spidey always has super powered dangers lurking everywhere, but he has to struggle to keep his life, the lives of the ones he loves, and his identity all in check while fighting hordes of villains off constantly.
>>
>>87693133
Daredevil and Moon Knight swing around without superhuman strength and beat guys like Electro all the time.
>>
>>87693147
No, his life had a shit ton of ups and downs. Mostly downs financially (Eat a dick Slott for getting rid of that aspect of the character btw), but there's been other situations where it turned out alright for him. His aunt trying to get him to meet Mary Jane is one that comes to mind.
>>
>>87686572
Amazing Spider Man 424

I had that issue. It sucks.
>>
>>87686572
>He's a street-level hero

"Street level", in regards to superheroes, means "deals primarily or exclusively with street crime", nothing more. It has NOTHING to do with power levels. Spider-Man has never been "street level".
>>
>>87693168
Daredevil mainly jumps around the goddamn place and has the benefit of years of martial arts that literally make you superhuman.

Moon Knight rarely swings from a grapple at all, and just jumps/glides/climbs around.
>>
Why the fuck does Green Goblin have super strength? A flying Joker that throws bombs wasn't menacing enough, so they had to supercharge him too?
>>
>>87693237

So the Flash is street level?
>>
>>87693254
Because he went back to formula.
>>
>>87693295
Flash mostly fights super villains, so no.
>>
File: 1461627978796.gif (889KB, 500x286px) Image search: [Google]
1461627978796.gif
889KB, 500x286px
>>87693081
what is your fucking problem?

1. If you're implying it's retarded because it has no footing in spiders' biological traits, then fuck you

2. If you just think it's a silly thing, then you're just dissing one of the most charming and original tropes ever. fuck you
>>
>>87693156
>Charlie Brown became a star QB
>his karma adjusts accordingly
This.
>>
>>87693345
Not even him but spider-sense is fucking stupid too. He's basically in tune with the plot and can almost never be caught off guard. I hate spider sense more than I hate wonder womans bracelets. I hate it more than bullseye killing someone with a playing card. I hate it more than Batmans grapple gun.
>>
>>87693312

He fights less actual Super villains than Spider-Man though.
>>
>>87691243
>>87691243
man read what your quoting it says 20 years ago he *was* unquestionably the best selling single character in comics. the sony movies didn't come out 20 years ago
>>
>>87693488
You could say that if it wasn't because people land hits on him. Frequently.

Also there are prominent enemies who have a literal workaround his spider-sense.

And in ther original and -thankfully- the majority of the representations of spider-sense, it's not so much clarividence as it is a premonition of some undefined threat about to go down, leaving it to Pete's reflexes and speed to counter the menace. His instincts can fail him even if he's alerted.
>>
File: spidey sense.jpg (3MB, 3975x3056px) Image search: [Google]
spidey sense.jpg
3MB, 3975x3056px
>>87693738
Wrong
>>
>>87693847
>>87693738
I liked how they handled Spider Sense during one of Ben Reilly's runs, where it's something that's BEYOND instinct that influences movements, but it works both ways. It can help you dodge and avoid shit, but it can also make you unable to attack something, with the Spider Sense sort of stopping your fist before it makes contact, making oyu have to do other shit to try and fight.
>>
>>87686572

>Luke Cage isn't street level
>>
>>87693847

>"And in ther original and -thankfully- the majority of the representations of spider-sense [...]"

no.

It does depend on the writer.
I'm personally more confortable with the original limits of the spider-sense from the 60s anyway, so I kind of agree with you about stuff like your pic related being broken as fuck and unlikeable
>>
File: 3057231-spidey.png (725KB, 602x433px) Image search: [Google]
3057231-spidey.png
725KB, 602x433px
>>87688442
>after the 80s

That's closer to when he started to become a twink. Artists used to draw Spider-Man as buff Spider-Man.
>>
>>87695745
>nerdy teenager
>suddenly buff after the spider bite

It's like Gohan, but in reverse.
>>
>>87693179
>No, his life had a shit ton of ups and downs. Mostly downs financially (Eat a dick Slott for getting rid of that aspect of the character btw)

Slott's fucked up the character a lot, but that isn't one of his mistakes.
>>
>>87686572
spider-man isnt popular because of shitty movies and comics
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.