[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does everyone thinks or talks about what they are doing in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: ASM7.png (570KB, 623x615px) Image search: [Google]
ASM7.png
570KB, 623x615px
Why does everyone thinks or talks about what they are doing in this old comics? I can't stand this anymore.
>>
because of the marvel method
>>
pantomime doesn't translate well in pictures, so the writers had to explain what the artists were trying to show in limited space
>>
>>87648061
I get having a problem with them verbally explaining everything that's going on, but the thought bubbles make sense.
>>
it's to easily show that the characters are smarty pants outsmarting each other rather than operating on instinct and just mindlessly fighting

conveying thoughts and planning during action scenes turns out like this when you are limited by constraints, it's why action manga like jojos does it as well
>>
>>87648061
Comic writers didn't adopt the "show don't tell" rule yet.
>>
Why would Spiderman ever be off-balance or vulnerable to a surprise attack from an old man?
>>
Olds comics were poorly written and poorly drawn. They only got good around the 80s.
>>
>>87648061
My only gripe with that is that they recite Tolstoys entire War and Peace in the timeframe between two punches.

But, modern books do that as well...
>>
It worked well enough for manga.
>>
>>87648278
>Why would Spiderman ever be off-balance or vulnerable to a surprise attack from an old man?

That panel is from ASM #7 judging by the file name, so he is probably off-balance because he is still a 16 year old who just started crime fighting last week and never met the Vulture before.
>>
>>87648278
because ditko spider-man is generally portrayed as strong but slips up a fuckton

now spidey is a straight up god and getting even hit by a goon is nonsensical
>>
>>87648290
stop posting, newfag
>>
>>87648278
Early Spider-man's gimmick was

1.) Get his ass beat by the new villain of the month

2.)regroup, think up something, and then go kick the villain's ass
>>
>>87648061
Dumb comics for dumb kids.
>>
I don't think i'll be able to read the entire ASM this way. Can you guys recommend some good runs?
>>
Comics back then focused on telling more story in less space so they didn't waste lots of panels on performing one action.

I wish thought bubbles hadn't fallen into disuse because they were very useful and better than the retarded ass Lobdell narration boxes that plague action scenes these days.
>>
>>87648475
No because you're a pleb.

DeMatteis 80's/90's run
>>
>>87648399
So I guess it's for you then
>>
>>87648061
Prefer it to the wannabe artsy shit nowadays.
>>
>>87648061
Because Stan Lee had to fill every panel with bubbles to get paid as a "writer"
>>
>>87648061
Uh....they still do that. Just not in thought bubbles.
>>
>>87648359
Please, OP's pic is what pretty much every comic from the 60s and 70s was like.
>>
>>87648565
The only right answer.
>>
File: 1415762287967.png (301KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1415762287967.png
301KB, 512x384px
>>87648290
gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>87648565
>>87648096
These are only partly true. Yes, Lee is a hack who put dialogue that only described the panel in speech bubbles but a lot of silver age comics suffer from similar storytelling. I think >>87648399 is closer to the truth, imagine if OP's picture didn't mention that Spider-Man had to climb down ledge by ledge, a kid would wonder why he was in that situation. Same with mentioning the spider-sense, a kid that read the previous issue a month prior might forget that that's a power of his or it could be someone's first issue and they don't know that that's what the art represents.

The flipside is, Spider-Man and Vulture have to internally vocalise the thought bubbles to justify Spider-Man getting hit in a sequence that can't last more than a few seconds.
>>
>>87648300
Talking is a free action
>>
>>87648300
What modern books do that, if i may ask?
>>
>>87648061
Because comics used to be good back then.
>>
>>87649382
Whatever you say, gramps.
>>
>>87648608
>and 70s
what
>>
i cant stand inner monologues in modern comics.
>splashpage
>a dozen captions
>skip
>>
>>87648278
He's flat-footed because he doesn't realize he's in a fight.
>>
>>87648890
>Talking is a free action

Yes, but you don't have time to say or even think so many complete sentences in the 3 seconds of action that the OP pic takes place in.
>>
>>87648608
Go read anything from the 70s. It was the point where comics started going edgy
>>
>>87648278
>>87648317
If I remember right, in ASM #2 he figured out an Achilles heel in Vulture's tech that made it instantly stop working, and he expected it to work again here.
>>
>>87650716
I haven't read the issue in years but that sounds correct
>>
File: spidercomicvulture.png (467KB, 623x615px) Image search: [Google]
spidercomicvulture.png
467KB, 623x615px
Here OP, this is the comic you wanted to read.
>>
>>87648061
>I can't stand this anymore.
go back to /tv/ shithead
>>
>>87650039
To be honest, it's not literal dialogue. I don´t know about you, but I don´t have an inner dialogue; I have a cloud of thoughts that come and go, and react to what's going on around me. When you write down a tirade relating someone's thoughts it looks weird because it is; you are watching with your conscious mind what those people are thinking subconsciously
>>
Most single issue comics were like that back then because it was still a relatively young art form, the writers and artists were kind of figuring it out as they went along, pay and schedules were MUCH worse so people cared less about nuance, there were less prior books to reference, and common thought back then was you had to explain these things to kids.

60's Marvel is especially bad about it because Lee LOVES to see his words on the page. ASM is honestly one of the worst about it despite, paradoxically, having the best writing of its time.

Really, the first 100 issues should be more skimmed than read: most of what Stan has to say is what you already know.
>>
>>87648061
Is this an aspect of the "compressed" style of storytelling? Or does that having nothing to do with this?
>>
>>87651899
Yes, the movement away from this was coined "decompression."
>>
File: 014.png (8KB, 145x121px) Image search: [Google]
014.png
8KB, 145x121px
>>87648290
>>
>>87651022
You have talent, friend.
>>
>>87648061

This also happens in narration boxes a lot.
>>
>>87651899
>>87652021
no. decompression is about pacing. this is "show, don't tell". you could have a wordy decompressed comic with a lot of needless exposition.
>>
>>87648061

Its good for telling more story in fewer panels.
Also Stan said he would make characters overly verbose in order to make a reader linger on a page longer.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.