[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you recommend someone get into comics these days? If

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: marvel1.jpg (508KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
marvel1.jpg
508KB, 1920x1080px
How would you recommend someone get into comics these days? If I told you I was interested in getting into Marvel, where would I start? Is there a compendium out there, or a list of essentials for each hero? I'm assuming big stuff like Secret Wars/Infinity Gauntlet are necessary. It's how I get there that I'm trying to figure out.
>>
>>87544112
http://comraderecs.tumblr.com/
You're welcome.
>>
>>87544777
Thanks dude
>>
I'd say start at Marvel Comics #1, to be honest.
Comics continuity doesn't actually matter for shit, despite how much the books try to say otherwise (they only say that to get your money).

Just start at the very beginning and move forward, skimming until you find stories you like. The wiki even has a calendar of sorts telling you every book the company ever released month by month.
http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Category:1939,_December

If you're impatient or think "EW OLD COMICS", Marvel's real continuity starts in 1961 with Fantastic Four #1. The stuff from 1939 to 1950 still sorta-counts, and there's plenty of good stories in there. Marvel didn't put out any superhero books in the 1950s.
>>
File: 1478087556764m.jpg (103KB, 1024x1011px) Image search: [Google]
1478087556764m.jpg
103KB, 1024x1011px
>>87544855
>Wanna read the non-cape Atlas books.
>All the torrents have no seeds, comic reader sites only have the cape books, and resellers want ten bucks an issue.
>>
>>87545082
Ask in the Win-O-Thread.
>>
File: 1473630062371.jpg (208KB, 500x713px) Image search: [Google]
1473630062371.jpg
208KB, 500x713px
pick up a comic and read it, senpai

I recommend to check out interior art, as the cover can be misleading.
>>
>>87544112
Read Grant Memerson's NXM, then skip past Decimation and read most of the X-Men through Second Coming.

Second Coming is one of the few IT ALL LEADS TO THIS things that lived up to the hype, basically four/fiveish years of it.
>>
>>87546662
This. If I never picked up random Cap comics, I never would have discovered the underrated genius of Syd Shores.
>>
>>87544777
The cartoon section of that tumblr hasn't been updated since 2008 (and really sorry to say, but TV cartoons were largely shit at that time.)
>>
>>87544112

I like using this site because its more curated than a lot of other reading orders (it calls itself a reading guide for a reason):

http://comicbookreadingorders.com/marvel/marvel-master-reading-order/

But really, think what genre you like, find a writer/hero you are interested in, and just read their stuff. You'll learn that you can not necessarily be a Cap fan, but damn if you don't like Brubaker for instance.
>>
File: disgust.png (132KB, 265x295px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.png
132KB, 265x295px
>>87547729
>"Important" books
>Listing future stories that serve as prequels as the first books you should read.
>Completely ignoring anything that isn't "canon" and advising people not to read non-Dr. Strange stories in Strange Tales.

This list is complete fucking garbage.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.