[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I read the best parts of New52 Superman and not get fucked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: new52superbro.jpg (757KB, 1249x1920px) Image search: [Google]
new52superbro.jpg
757KB, 1249x1920px
Can I read the best parts of New52 Superman and not get fucked over by continuity? I've been reading Rebirth Superman and so far I really enjoy it, but I want more.

I've heard that the best parts are

>Morrison Action Comics
>Greg Pak Action Comics
>Scott Snyder Superman Unchained
>Geoff Johns Superman Men of tomorrow

So can I read these and still get the story in a satisfactory manner?
>>
Superman Unchained is pretty self-contained, you can read that by itself.

Likewise Morrison's Action Comics. I totally recommend reading those 19 issues. If you are in the USA, your local library might have the trades, that's how I read mine, but I've since bought the digital issues for myself and re-read these.

Pak's Action does get into cross-over and he does pick up on threads from other writers so you might find it confusing to read.

I wouldn't waste my time with Johns Men of Tomorrow. It's a typical 'let's drop this in here, and it CHANGED EVERYTHING, but then it doesn't so by the last issue, everything is back to status quo.' The bad guy isn't really particularly interesting and it's telegraphed a mile way. I found the hard cover, still shrink-wrapped, about 2-3 months after it came out, for $10 at my local comic shop and bought it and promptly donated it to one of my local branches. It's nothing I'd want to re-read plus the art work made my eyes bleed.
>>
>>87533925
Man I hear such disparate opinions on Men of Tomorrow. Most seem to agree it wasn't JRJR's best work however.
>>
I miss that suit
I miss superbro
>>
>>87534866
Before Rebirth, everyone was constantly shitting on Superbro. Post Rebirth, everyone wants him back.
>>
>>87535420
>everyone wants him back.

vocal minority isn't everyone
>>
>>87534017
Yeah it looked like crap. His work on ASB is great but other than that the last several years of JRJR have been shit.
>>
>>87535454
The Last Crusade with Miller and ASB have been stellar as far as JRJR art goes. Hopefully, he's back on top.
>>
>>87533840
I don't get why people didn't like the armor look, beside the belt/underpants change.

Also I don't get why people treated him as a separate character - it was Superman, just a few years younger meaning he was a bit more brash and ready for character development to get him back to the pre-52 character.
>>
>>87535420
Think of it this way: you have a watch that you like and use it for years. Then you loose it and buy a new one. You don't like it at first but after a few years you get used to it and start to value it. And then you loose it but find the previous one.

Both are good but it's a shake up in your status quo. And people don't like changes in their status quo. Plus they didn't have to kill him, they could've sent him out into space to have cosmic adventures or into the future to join the Legion. Still, it's part of their Watchmen plot so he might be coming back.
>>
>>87535819
>but find the previous one.
The previous one is gone. Superbitch is not Superman.
>>
>>87535799
Superman doesn't need armor. He IS armor. It was an unnecessary addition that looked busy and detracted from the symbolic meaning of an invulnerable man by making it look like he needed armor to be invulnerable.

And the problem with making him younger and brasher to make room for character development is, that development never came, and if what we saw with Damian is any indication, would never come. Writers would just stick with the Super Jock forever, and even if one writer would have him grow, the next writer wouldn't pick up the thread.
>>
>>87535845
>Superman doesn't need armor. He IS armor. It was an unnecessary addition that looked busy and detracted from the symbolic meaning of an invulnerable man by making it look like he needed armor to be invulnerable.

No one said that he needed it for protection and literally no one thought that. It was a ceremonial armor purely for the looks and that's what people saw it as - a new costume. You're talking nonsense.

>And the problem with making him younger and brasher to make room for character development is, that development never came, and if what we saw with Damian is any indication, would never come. Writers would just stick with the Super Jock forever, and even if one writer would have him grow, the next writer wouldn't pick up the thread.
I disagree, he started strong arming people and brash, he got more responsible and polite as time went on and after he lost his powers he got closer to the people. Along the way he developed a more brotherly relationship with Batman (where the old felt more like professional partners and friends) and a new dynamic with Jimmy, Lois and Wonder Woman.
>>
>>87533840
>caring about continuity
There's your problem.

>>87534017
I really liked it. The last issue of it was spectacular, one of the best stand-alone Superman stories around. The one-shot written by JRJR was a hoot, too.

>>87535420
I never had a problem with him because I'm not a foot-stamping manchild with an inability to accept change.

>>87535845
>that development never came
I guess you didn't read anything, then. It actually didn't take long for Superbro to start acting like the Superman everyone was crying for. Like, 10 issues into Action Comics he was trying to find a home for some gerbils that were owned by a criminal he got arrested. All throughout Pak's Action run, he was pretty standard Superman. He wasn't actually an inexperienced, cocky asshole for very long at all, which is a shame because it opened a lot of possibility for the character. I was really hoping for more young Superman books.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.