[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>They nerfed [character] in the movie! Not talking about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: doctor-strange-details.jpg (144KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
doctor-strange-details.jpg
144KB, 720x480px
>They nerfed [character] in the movie!

Not talking about Strange specifically, this is a common criticism I hear of superhero adaptions. Doesn't it make sense though?

When you're reading a cape comic, "Why doesn't [character] use [uber superpower]?" doesn't come up as often because "lol, capeshit". It's much more glaring when it's a two hour movie. If Doctor Strange was this cosmic ultra powerful being, I feel it'd break suspension of disbelief to not have him stop every threat in this smaller, slightly more grounded Marvel universe.
>>
>>87514869
Agreed. It's like in Arrow when Barry couldn't help find the bio bombs because he had to "go have a talk with Dr. Wells" even though wells was imprisoned at this point and the talk could've taken place at any time. And, you know, it would've only taken Barry a couple of minutes to find all of Ra's bombs.

It's much easier to brush it off as plot convince in a comic. In a live-action medium, it just makes Barry look like a dick.

I guess it's because with live-action adaptions, your mind is less accepting of logic breaks?
>>
>>87514920
A problem I've had with the Snyder Superman, and I did kinda like MoS, but a problem I've had is how much focus it puts on Superman not being around to save people all the time and focusing on all the destruction it causes.

In the comics, it's always "Oh, Metropolis was destroyed. Guess Lex will make another billion by real estate contracting." Here, you get the full 9/11 imagery and comparisons.

Because it's also trying to work with real world logic, it's also more glaring that by being Clark Kent, Superman is out saving people when he could be.

Just my thoughts.
>>
>>87514869
He's a fuckin' beginner.
His first comic appearance itself was set untold years after his training, not during it. And he STILL wasn't Sorcerer Supreme 2oplsnerf -tier until many years of stories later.

>I feel it'd break suspension of disbelief to not have him stop every threat in this smaller, slightly more grounded Marvel universe.
The movie spells this part out for you clear as day: he has bigger shit to deal with. Constantly. It'd be like getting the CIA to crack down on littering.
>>
File: Ostrander Spectre Foreward.png (215KB, 294x451px) Image search: [Google]
Ostrander Spectre Foreward.png
215KB, 294x451px
>>87514869
90% of the time, this is a criticism that comes from battlefags who are butthurt that they can't win internet arguments about which character would win in a fight, but I think there's a valid reason for this reaction.

There's a certain aesthetic and tone that some characters have because of how ridiculous their powers are and Dr. Strange is one of them. If you made his magic more like a Harry Potter character's and made the threats on a similarly smaller scale, you'd lose both the visual aspects of him (how cool absurd magic looks) and the thematic aspects (how one mortal is the only thing standing between us and certain doom from pseudo-Lovecraftian abominations).

If someone made a Dragon Ball movie, wouldn't you be kind of disappointed if the characters were only as impressive as the ones in most kung fu movies and all of the stuff with energy attacks destroying mountains was just absent because they thought the general audience would call it "unrealistic"? I haven't watched Dr. Strange yet, so I don't know to what extent it's true for the movie, but it seems like they didn't go in this direction from the spoilers I've seen at least, so I'm just talking in general.

Pic related.
>>
>>87516767
This. It's a comic problem, not a movie problem. Writers forget that he shouldn't be on call for the Avengers, he should just team up with them when their problems align.
>>
>>87516841
I wish writers, comic writers included, would nerf Superman a bit. Make him able to fly as fast as a jet, not the speed of light. Make him able to lift many tons, not planets.
>>
>>87517175

When was the last time he did either of those things?
>>
>>87517197
The New 52 run. Though, that was the H'el on Earth arc, which had many more issues.
>>
>>87517175
That happened during John Byrne's run after CoIE and it didn't stick for obvious reasons. If they tried it now, they'd have the problem of him being underpowered to compared to other characters.
>>
File: 1403048400794.jpg (42KB, 400x399px) Image search: [Google]
1403048400794.jpg
42KB, 400x399px
Why did the Astral Projection fight happen in real time when the Astral Projection conversation with The Ancient One happened in slow motion?
>>
>>87517357
Magic.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.